Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,438 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences (13094 Views)

Profile Of 'VIP' Inmates In Kuje Prison Before Attack / Nigeria's 59 Independence: Goodluck Jonathan’s Message To Nigerians / Nigeria @59: 9 Pictures That Will Make You Weep For Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by OndoFirstBorn(m): 4:02pm On Oct 01, 2019
Ondo State Governor, Arakunrin Rotimi Akeredolu, SAN has ordered the release of 18 persons serving various jail terms at the Olokuta prison.

Also, the Governor has commuted the death sentence of seven people convicted of various offences to life imprisonment.

The Governor said his actions were to mark the 59th independence anniversary of the country.

The development followed the advice of the State Advisory Council of Prerogative of Mercy and in line with the powers confer on the Governor by the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The state Deputy Governor, Mr Agboola Ajayi who acted on behalf of Governor Akeredolu in a letter to the Comptroller of Nigerian Correctional Services said the seven inmates who have been convicted and sentenced to death by hanging and are awaiting execution should no longer be executed.

He said, “I Alfred Agboola Ajayi, the Acting Governor of Ondo State of Nigeria in exercise of the power conferred on me by paragraph (a) (c) and (d) of sub section (1) of Section 212 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 as amended . I am pleased to extend my grace and mercy unto the said condemned inmates and substitute a less severe punishment on the aforesaid inmates as clearly stated in the schedule.”

The Deputy Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Babatope Okeowo who confirmed the development said the 18 inmates who were set free by the prerogative of mercy had served different portion in prison for various offences and have shown remorse during their stay in the correctional facilities.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/independence-akeredolu-frees-18-inmates-in-ondo-commutes-7-death-sentences-to-life-imprisonment/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Flexherbal(m): 4:21pm On Oct 01, 2019
The Deputy Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Babatope Okeowo who confirmed the development said the 18 inmates who were set free by the prerogative of mercy had served different portion in prison for various offences and have shown remorse during their stay in the correctional facilities.
Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Sylraph1: 8:41pm On Oct 01, 2019
Give them few days and they will be back.

SOWERE deserve such freedom but the people he is fighting for prefer TACHA TO HIM.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by agbonkamen(f): 8:41pm On Oct 01, 2019
God bless you Sir, President Buhari pls follow suit and release Sowore.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Sunnycliff(m): 8:42pm On Oct 01, 2019
Part of freedom. But releasing a confirmed criminal is a Ticking Tim bomb

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by dayveed1(m): 8:42pm On Oct 01, 2019
My Gov
Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Uruan2023: 8:42pm On Oct 01, 2019
What happened to their various crimes??

Esp those awaiting their death day.

Its a good move but what if they murdered someone?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by donprincebigt(m): 8:42pm On Oct 01, 2019
the man kuku dey try on his own part. make he just legalize weed and he would become d best governor Nigeria ever had

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by TheGiftedOne(m): 8:42pm On Oct 01, 2019
T
Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by donprinyo(m): 8:42pm On Oct 01, 2019
Mumus forming gods

1 Like

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Kendumazy(m): 8:42pm On Oct 01, 2019
Nice one
Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Kellie069(m): 8:43pm On Oct 01, 2019
You mean those that were convicted because they worked for your allies right? Good. Some hoodlums are back to the street

1 Like

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by MademoiselleMiel(f): 8:43pm On Oct 01, 2019
Good job!
Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Divit(m): 8:44pm On Oct 01, 2019
See as nairaland dry. shocked

No more relevant news to propagate through front page these days.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Collins4u1(m): 8:44pm On Oct 01, 2019
Uruan2023:
What happened to their various crimes??

Esp those awaiting their death day.

Its a good move but what if they murdered someone?

Does killing them make things better
Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by MountainView: 8:44pm On Oct 01, 2019
Hmmn, this one off me! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Lonestar124: 8:47pm On Oct 01, 2019
From life imprisonment, I believed they'll be released someday, staying in prison is just like living in hell......I pray God rescue the inmates that are there for no crime they commit.

Bravo my detribalized Governor, extend my greeting to my sister your lovely wife our in law from oduduwa land.

The Igbo people have you in their heart and they're watching your good works.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by YorubaAssasin: 8:49pm On Oct 01, 2019
angry
Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Lonestar124: 8:50pm On Oct 01, 2019
donprinyo:
Mumus forming gods
But he did the right thing or what do you think?
Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Nobody: 8:50pm On Oct 01, 2019
Has done something for criminals for Independence Day. What about doing something for law-abiding masses?

May be the criminals were imprisoned for dealing cannibis wink

1 Like

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Seventy7kings: 9:10pm On Oct 01, 2019
shocked
well done Aketi.
Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Lanre0: 9:14pm On Oct 01, 2019
Good step, but commuting death sentences of hardened murderers, ritual killers, armed robbers or hired killers to life imprisonment is completely wrong because these set of people seem to be going back to the crime in a hard way. May GOD save us all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by star2008(m): 9:41pm On Oct 01, 2019
donprincebigt:
the man kuku dey try on his own part. make he just legalize weed and he would become d best governor Nigeria ever had
Seconded.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by sacx: 11:29pm On Oct 01, 2019
I think there should be some kind of clause limiting the powers of the state governor to grant parole as it is capable of being abused. I know a political thug who gunned down almost seven persons at a drinking bar for daring to engage him in an argument. He was arrested and sentenced to death by hanging. But today he walks a free man because a Governor could intervene, whereas the innocent he murdered are lying in their cold graves. Nigeria still has a long way to go in enforcing justice.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences by Officialbaby: 11:41pm On Oct 01, 2019
Commendable sir..

(1) (Reply)

Eleme Co-Operative: CSOs Warn First Bank Over Disobedience To Court Orders / Ministerial Portfolio: Buhari Has Successfully Northernised The Security Sector / PDP Destroyed Anambra, Alleges Obiano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.