Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,007 members, 7,817,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? (36024 Views)

Mum That Always Scared Of Snake Finally Killed One / What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. / 5 Ways To Cure Mouth Odour In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by chukwuibuipob: 4:40am On Oct 02, 2019
sad sad sad sad Hope she nor offend great mother aka village pipu.Those ones can afflict pipu spiritually. Abeg,Seek God face too in situation like diz..If u are in Lagos,i'm ready to take U around. All will be well
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by eminiBAALE(m): 4:43am On Oct 02, 2019
inform ZLATAN IBILE ABOUT HER odour..... he could have songs for her or BBN TACHA IS A GOOD MENTOR[color=#000099][/color]

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by anonimi: 4:54am On Oct 02, 2019
chukwuibuipob:
sad sad sad sad Hope she nor offend great mother aka village pipu.Those ones can afflict pipu spiritually. Abeg,Seek God face too in situation like diz..If u are in Lagos,i'm ready to take U around. All will be well

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4160988_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4138528_fbimg1471362711749_jpeg32428b294a57b4debde63e3fd7301227

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by israelmao(m): 4:54am On Oct 02, 2019
Did she marry to you or your mum?
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by richie240: 4:55am On Oct 02, 2019
Asifiwe:

First deal with your mum's anger problem before you can help her, an angry woman is oftentimes an arrogant incorrigible fellow, they cannot be helped
Since you admit that she gets angry easily, Her problem is more than one. sometimes the sickness in people is a punishment from God
Sin looks like a three-letter word but in reality, it is SATAN IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
A person that no one can talk to/advice. is ft one a person?
I just pray she does not cause crack in d daughter's marriage cos, one way or d other, d son in law will put 2 and 2 together and figure out dt d smell pervades anytime his mother in law is around.
The mama cuts across as not only toxic and odious underneath but in personality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by anonimi: 4:58am On Oct 02, 2019
Asifiwe:
First deal with your mum's anger problem before you can help her, an angry woman is oftentimes an arrogant incorrigible fellow, they cannot be helped
Since you admit that she gets angry easily, Her problem is more than one. sometimes the sickness in people is a punishment from God
Sin looks like a three-letter word but in reality, it is SATAN IDENTIFICATION NUMBER

Why spoil a good post with baseless religious sentiment

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4108585_img20151221wa020_jpegffa407ba2efc86a3ddb75a6084d3c6aa

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3304018_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by nams77: 4:59am On Oct 02, 2019
bukatyne:
Take her to the hospital for general body checkup as per her age.

Tell the doctor forehand and then take it from there.
I was about suggesting this before i saw it. Op, go with this
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by Sheedlatifat: 5:01am On Oct 02, 2019
You can sit your mum down with her good mood and tell also find the solution by seen the doctor.
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by Nobody: 5:02am On Oct 02, 2019
Meet tacha

We opened verified WeChat and Alipay wallet
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by Boyooosa(m): 5:03am On Oct 02, 2019
Respeckk:
Matured advice please.....

Ever since i was small my mum have always have this unpleasant smell.she baths often but this smell have choose to not go away, i heard she got an infection after a miscarriage because we do discuss it amongst ourselves,we her children. The smell comes from her private and i dont know if she is aware of it. She baths often but after sometime the smell starts again.

She came to my house for visit and i was embarrassed when my husband passed and was asking what was stinking up the kids room, i know it was my mum but i told him something else.

She is someone that always like tying wrapper without any under and you can imagine how it is.

I dont want to embarrass but i know it has always been an issue with my dad(they have seperate room coz of this). she get angry easy too but i really have to.

Ps she has treated infection often and on but this smell is what i dont understand.doctors should help too.
Why is it that the smell refuse to go away because she bathes morning and night(rule while growing up in our house)

Bae, why are you lying, framing up a story because u just want to trend?
Well, we will help u to trend.
1, You need to discuss this with her in a very modest way when u are good together and in a lighter mood.
2, Make sure u dont do the No 1 before researching a definite solution to the problem.
3, let her meet doctors for an ever lasting solution.
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by cocolacec(m): 5:07am On Oct 02, 2019
Respeckk:
Matured advice please.....

Ever since i was small my mum have always have this unpleasant smell.she baths often but this smell have choose to not go away, i heard she got an infection after a miscarriage because we do discuss it amongst ourselves,we her children. The smell comes from her private and i dont know if she is aware of it. She baths often but after sometime the smell starts again.

She came to my house for visit and i was embarrassed when my husband passed and was asking what was stinking up the kids room, i know it was my mum but i told him something else.

She is someone that always like tying wrapper without any under and you can imagine how it is.

I dont want to embarrass but i know it has always been an issue with my dad(they have seperate room coz of this).she get angry easy too but i really have to.

Ps she has treated infection often and on but this smell is what i dont understand.doctors should help too.
Why is it that the smell refuse to go away because she bathes morning and night(rule while growing up in our house)

https://www.nairaland.com/5447439/how-tell-mum-she-body
Vaginal or genital malodour in women

Author: Hon Assoc Prof Amanda Oakley, Dermatologist, Hamilton, New Zealand, 2012.

What is vaginal malodour?

Many women complain that they have a bad smell or malodour coming from the vagina, even after washing frequently. This can be very distressing, particularly if it is noticed and commented on by someone else.

Genital odour is due to the combination of vaginal secretions, eccrine and apocrine sweat and external sources (urine, faeces, topical applications).

What symptoms should lead to concern?

A bad smell could be due to genital infection or disease. Clues include:

excessive vaginal discharge
itching (pruritus vulvae)
pain and soreness.
What conditions cause vaginal malodour?

Sometimes the apparently bad vaginal smell is actually normal, as vaginal secretions in every adult woman have a rather musty odour. The smell can vary throughout the menstrual cycle. There is also a wide variation in what is considered acceptable.

Bad smell is however often associated with infectious or noninfectious causes of vaginitis or less often, vulval disease.

Malodorous vaginal infections include:

Bacterial vaginosis (the most common reason for genital malodour, a fishy smell)
Trichomoniasis (this is foul-smelling in only about 20% of infected women)
Vulval ulceration of any cause, particularly if due to donovanosis or chancroid
Vaginal discharge associated with pelvic inflammatory disease
Forgotten foreign bodies such as tampons, diaphragms or sponges
Fistulas or passageways linking the vagina with the rectum or bladder following childbirth, injury or surgery
Hidradenitis suppurativa.
Although candidal vulvovaginitis (thrush) is very common, it causes a yeasty smell, which is not considered particularly unpleasant by most women.

Noninfectious causes of vaginal malodour include:

Excessive perspiration ( hyperhidrosis leading to bromhidrosis) especially associated with obesity
Chronic constipation and bloating or dietary factors leading to release of smelly rectal gases
Urinary incontinence, releasing ammonia
Faecal incontinence
Poor hygiene, often in women who are elderly or mentally unwell
Vulval cancer, when it is due to necrosis (death of tissue)
Discharge or necrosis of other genital cancers
Trimethylaminuria (fish-odour syndrome)
Olfactory hallucinations, e.g. associated with temporal lobe epilepsy
Psychiatric conditions.
What tests should be done?

Women complaining of genital malodour should undergo careful external and internal examination after a careful history has been taken. Tests may include pH, vaginal and/or vulval swabs for microbiology and sometimes skin biopsy.

What is the treatment for vaginal malodour?

Treatment depends on the underlying cause. Antibiotics should be prescribed for confirmed infection.

General measures should include:

Avoid wearing tight or occlusive underwear
Change underwear frequently
Bathe gently using non-soap cleanser once or twice daily
Attempt to lose weight, if relevant
If incontinent of urine, copper acetate impregnated incontinence pads may help to reduce the smell.
The hazards of self-treatment

Excessive washing, antiseptics, deodorants and douching (rinsing out the vagina) may irritate the vagina and vulva, potentially resulting in increased irritation and discharge from vulvitis, chemically-induced vaginitis or secondary infection. Don't do it!

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by Nwaohafia1: 5:09am On Oct 02, 2019
bukatyne:

Best advice so far.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by deltateam: 5:16am On Oct 02, 2019
Richy4:

I can imagine.. I wish I could tell you a creative way to start the topic.This one pass me. But Don't lose hope. first find a doctor that will be willing to help... the rest will follow. You can probably get drunk one day or fake being drunk and say what your intentions are

Nonsense and advice. Why get drunk? Did she tell you that she can't speak up?

Op watch out when she's relaxed and the two of you are together. Start by reassuring her of your love, care and support. Then tell her that you will like her to accompany you to see a doctor for medical checkup.

After the checkup, the doctor will give her medicine. No need to even mention Tacha.
Ensure she takes the medicine.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by midnighter(f): 5:17am On Oct 02, 2019
richie240:

A person that no one can talk to/advice. is ft one a person?
I just pray she does not cause crack in d daughter's marriage cos, one way or d other, d son in law will put 2 and 2 together and figure out dt d smell pervades anytime his mother in law is around.
The mama cuts across as not only toxic and odious underneath but in personality.

He was not very polite about it but he did make a point. From miscarriage when the children were growing up until now the op is married with kids of her own, the mother has either been too embarrassed or too stubborn to do something about it, to the point where her and the dad not longer share a room and still nothing. thats the part of the story thats been confusing me. this should be a period of like 15 or 20 years. theres this saying that goes, "if your brother tells you inside the house that your mouth is smelling, then it's not an insult." whatever job she did, even if a humble farmer or market woman, wouldnt somebody other than the family start to notice it and say something terrible?

It shouldnt really have gotten to the point of omugwo before something was done about this, though better late than never

I agree with everybody that they should sensitively make the ob/gyn appointment, in fact op should tell her its just a routine appointment without mentioning the smell but pre-inform the doctor on what to look for. if op explains her medical history + how sensitive she is about it, the doctor will know how to proceed without setting the lady off

If telling her she smells bad hasnt worked after all this time, there is no point in saying it now. Better to just sort the problem out codedly without informing her... this is a seriously loooooong time we're talking about!

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by deltateam: 5:18am On Oct 02, 2019
thorpido:
The most likely cause of that smell is bacterial vaginosis,an overgrowth of bacteria in the vagina.
It has been chronic I guess because it was not treated from inception.

Take your mom to see a gynae.You may not tell your mom anything but you can hint the doctor why you came.
She will need to do some tests which could include a vaginal swab test and urine mcs.

Before doing the test, the doctor will need to broach it otherwise it could be embarrassing.
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by Mutemenot(m): 5:20am On Oct 02, 2019
bukatyne:

Op take this idea. It's more convincing and achievable.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by maxilly(m): 5:20am On Oct 02, 2019
You and your mom are matured, I don't see why she would take offence to you telling her about her problem. As long as you don't tell her in a way that makes it seem like you are making fun of her. Nevertheless, how she'll feel doesn't matter as long as your intension is to try and help her but if she takes it another way, fine. At least you tried to help
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by midnighter(f): 5:22am On Oct 02, 2019
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by chukwuibuipob: 5:23am On Oct 02, 2019
sad
anonimi:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4160988_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4138528_fbimg1471362711749_jpeg32428b294a57b4debde63e3fd7301227
undecided
anonimi:

I pity u! Here it is WAR.There are principality/ Power dat hinder pipu destiny.Most of these Nollywood u watch isnt just for entertainment but to learn one/two thing.Enemies can afflict u with blindness,deafness while u jump from one Hospital to anoda,spend money anyhow without solution. Anonimi! Let me tell You this, the CHURCH OF GOD have solution to ur situation

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by Cousin9999: 5:24am On Oct 02, 2019
How do I tell the mods you're a troll?
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by pode(m): 5:24am On Oct 02, 2019
Buy her this

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by midnighter(f): 5:24am On Oct 02, 2019
maxilly:
You and your mom are matured, I don't see why she would take offence to you telling her about her problem. As long as you don't tell her in a way that makes it seem like you are making fun of her. Nevertheless, how she'll feel doesn't matter as long as your intension is to try and help her but if she takes it another way, fine. At least you tried to help

She cant tell her, theyve been telling her for years and she still doesnt listen. no need to tell her just take her to the doctor. The smell is just a symptom of a larger problem so they will fix all together

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by whitering: 5:31am On Oct 02, 2019
This is one of the shortcomings of some Africa parents. they instill fear into their children, therefore, Children don't see them as friends that they can freely relate with. ... Since you are now married, Just boldly tell her. or tell her to accompany you to see a Gynecologist that you are feeling some how with your own body... after the fake checkup, just tell the doc that your mum is ageing and you want her to do general checkup... pls don't forget to meet the doc beforehand.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by kingandre(m): 5:32am On Oct 02, 2019
No suprise there at all.... Imagine the person u love hating u 4 something u can't change and ain't your fault.
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by maxilly(m): 5:34am On Oct 02, 2019
midnighter:

She cant tell her, theyve been telling her for years and she still doesnt listen. no need to tell her just take her to the doctor. The smell is just a symptom of a larger problem so they will fix all together
She said '' we discuss it amongst ourselves, we her children'' from what I read, no one has discussed the issue with her.
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by ImeAsian(m): 5:35am On Oct 02, 2019
eminiBAALE:
inform ZLATAN IBILE ABOUT HER odour..... he could have songs for her or BBN TACHA IS A GOOD MENTOR[color=#000099][/color]

You No Go See Heaven....
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by ImeAsian(m): 5:36am On Oct 02, 2019
pode:
Buy her this

You Are A Very Very Very Wicked Somebody... Heaven No Need You.... Wicked Man
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by Nobody: 5:38am On Oct 02, 2019

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by midnighter(f): 5:40am On Oct 02, 2019
maxilly:

She said '' we discuss it amongst ourselves, we her children'' from what I read, no one has discussed the issue with her.

She also said the mother and father have started sleeping in different rooms because of it. And unless theres something wrong with her nose, she would be able to tell when she had changed out of her inner wears. Not to mention visiting an adult child after wedding, first child and second child.

maybe she even has some residual psychological trauma from the miscarriage that she has never been able to resolve. theres no point in bringing it up now, its obviously too much of a hot topic.

they need to try another method.
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by Viktorino: 5:41am On Oct 02, 2019
Tell her to bath with tetmosol and hot water grin
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by Truthbites: 5:46am On Oct 02, 2019
It may be that she needs only roll on, then to use tissue or water after peeing, that's all..try that first
Re: How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? by Royalfurnitures: 5:47am On Oct 02, 2019
When you are alone with her, say, mum something dey smell here, abi rotten fish dey this house or inside your bag??

Check out my signature for quality and durable furniture for your homes and offices in different colors and designs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

U.S Hospital Charges Woman $40 For Crying In The Doctor's Office (Photos) / 5 Things To Do Everyday To Keep Your Heart Healthy / How Can I Get Rid Of Pimples, Dark Spots On My Face?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.