Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,112 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:08 AM

How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? (1545 Views)

Is Fasting Without Prayer A Meaningless Exercise? / Fasting Without Doing This Won't Work / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 02, 2019
Something quite puzzling happened during the ministry of Jesus on Earth.

And it was a man who brought his child who was possessed by a devil to Jesus, after he had brought the boy to Jesus' disciples but they couldn't cast out the devil and cure the boy. {Matthew 17:14-16}

But once Jesus rebuked the devil, immediately the devil left the boy and he was cured from that very moment. {Matthew 17:14-16}

And this prompted the disciples who had already been given power by Jesus to cast out devils, and had casted out some others devils prior to this one which they couldn't cast out, to ask Jesus why they couldn't cast him out. This was the response of Jesus to their question:

"Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."
{Matthew 17:20-21 (KJV)}

So Jesus stated it was because of their unbelief, however it was with the caveat @ bolded that such kind of demon could not be casted out without prayer and fasting.

However the puzzling thing is, despite that Jesus was known for very well known as someone who always prayed, He was also well known for not fasting during the course of His ministry after that which He did prior to His being tempted of the devil. {Matthew 11:19; Luke 5:33}

So on that basis, it showed that Jesus who casted out that kind of demon which cannot go out but prayer and fasting, was able to send it packing without fasting.

Hence the question:

Why was Jesus able to cast out that kind of demon that could not go out but by prayer and fasting without fasting?

Answer: Because the purpose of fasting has been accomplished in His life.

https://www.nairaland.com/5448643/how-did-jesus-cast-out#83606014

God bless.
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Anas09: 5:05pm On Oct 02, 2019
jesusjnr:
Something quite puzzling happened during the ministry of Jesus on Earth.

And it was a man who brought his child who was possessed by a devil to Jesus, after he had brought the boy to Jesus' disciples but they couldn't cast out the devil and cure the boy. {Matthew 17:14-16}

But once Jesus rebuked the devil, immediately the devil left the boy and he was cured from that very moment. {Matthew 17:14-16}

And this prompted the disciples who had already been given power by Jesus to cast out devils, and had casted out some others devils prior to this one which they couldn't cast out, to ask Jesus why they couldn't cast him out. This was the response of Jesus to their question:

"Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."
{Matthew 17:20-21 (KJV)}

So Jesus stated it was because of their unbelief, however it was with the caveat @ bolded that such kind of demon could not be casted out without prayer and fasting.

However the puzzling thing is, despite that Jesus was known for very well known as someone who always prayed, He was also well known for not fasting during the course of His ministry after that which He did prior to His being tempted of the devil. {Matthew 11:19; Luke 5:33}

So on that basis, it showed that Jesus who casted out that kind of demon which cannot go out but prayer and fasting, was able to send it packing without fasting.

Hence the question:

Why was Jesus able to cast out that kind of demon that could not go out but by prayer and fasting without fasting?

God bless.
What are you trying to imply?
Are you now saying since Jesus didn't fast before casting out the same demon he said could not go out except by fasting and prayer Jesus lied?

Are you saying the demon could go out without fasting, hence what Jesus said was a lie?

This is like Satan saying to Eve, "you shall not surely die" even when God has said anyone who eats the fruit shall die.

Jesusjnr why come out openly and say what you are implying.
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 6:59am On Oct 03, 2019
How was He able to do it?
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 04, 2019
Anybody in the house got the answer to the question?
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Bruno3000(m): 12:29pm On Oct 04, 2019
Simple display of a higher authority.

1 Like

Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by sonmvayina(m): 1:52pm On Oct 04, 2019
jesusjnr:
Anybody in the house got the answer to the question?

What is the boy's name?
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Oct 04, 2019
sonmvayina:

What is the boy's name?
Ask the devil that possessed the boy.
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 05, 2019
Bruno3000:
Simple display of a higher authority.
It's obvious He did that, for that's the only way He would have been able to do that.

However something about the life Jesus lived on Earth is that He fulfilled all righteousness to serve as an example to all men, so even though He had the authority to cast out such devils from the onset, He yet kept that saying of His with respect to that devil.

So I want to know how He was able to do that without fasting at that particular moment.

Thanks for sharing. God bless.
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Bruno3000(m): 12:06pm On Oct 05, 2019
jesusjnr:
It's obvious He did that, for that's the only way He would have been able to do that.

However something about the life Jesus lived on Earth is that He fulfilled all righteousness to serve as an example to all men, so even though He had the authority to cast out such devils from the onset, He yet kept that saying of His with respect to that devil.

So I want to know how He was able to do that without fasting at that particular moment.

Thanks for sharing. God bless.
Once you possess that kind of AUTHORITY u can cast out demons even in ur sleep. Authority differs, same goes with demonic strength. Moreover, that 40 days and 40 nights fast He engaged before commencing His earthly ministry was no joke, for He received additional power to do all those things He did.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 05, 2019
Bruno3000:
Once you possess that kind of AUTHORITY u can cast out demons even in ur sleep. Authority differs, same goes with demonic strength. Moreover, that 40 days and 40 nights fast He engaged before commencing His earthly ministry was no joke, for He received additional power to do all those things He did.
So do you think He was born with that authority and just fasted to fulfil all righteousness for an example to men or needed to fast to get it?
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Bruno3000(m): 2:53pm On Oct 05, 2019
jesusjnr:
So do you think He was born with that authority and just fasted to fulfil all righteousness for an example to men or needed to fast to get it?

Or do you think that He already
Don't forget He was filled with the Holy Ghost right from the womb. The presence of the Holy Ghost in one's life ultimately sets one higher than every principalities and powers. When the disciples couldn't cast out demons, it was because they were yet to receive the Holy Ghost. But after the day of Pentecost, when the Holy Ghost came uoon them, they were able to do wonders, including casting out demons in the name of Jesus without fasting.

So u see the presence of the Holy Spirit in one's life automatically sets one on a higher level in spiritual warfare. But do not underestimate the role of fasting and prayer in one's life. It fuels and lubricate the spiritual engine, which is why Jesus had to fast.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Oct 05, 2019
Bruno3000:
Don't forget He was filled with the Holy Ghost right from the womb. The presence of the Holy Ghost in one's life ultimately sets one higher than every principalities and powers. When the disciples couldn't cast out demons, it was because they were yet to receive the Holy Ghost. But after the day of Pentecost, when the Holy Ghost came uoon them, they were able to do wonders, including casting out demons in the name of Jesus without fasting.

So u see the presence of the Holy Spirit in one's life automatically sets one on a higher level in spiritual warfare. But do not underestimate the role of fasting and prayer in one's life. It fuels and lubricate the spiritual engine, which is why Jesus had to fast.
The disciples were already able to cast out demons beforehand, so this is not about casting out demons in general, but those particular kind of demons which Jesus said could not come out by prayer and fasting.

For that means those demons are not the type that anyone as themselves who could cast out demons could cast out, and I believe that there are those who pray and fast and have all the faith in the world, but would yet not be able to cast out such kind of demons.

But Jesus was able to do it without even fasting during the course of His ministry, so what I want to know is the message that Jesus was actually trying to pass across with that saying.

Thanks.
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Bruno3000(m): 9:56pm On Oct 05, 2019
Of course Jesus fasted during the course of His ministry. I already answered u; if u are spirit-filled, there's no demon, no matter how strong, that u cannot cast out. Simple. The demons themselves know their place when they are confronted by such people. HOLY GHOST BAPTISM is the key word. The prayer and fasting Jesus was talking about is to energise the spirit man to do battle at any time or hour the need arises.
jesusjnr:
The disciples were already able to cast out demons beforehand, so this is not about casting out demons in general, but those particular kind of demons which Jesus said could not come out by prayer and fasting.

For that means those demons are not the type that anyone as themselves who could cast out demons could cast out, and I believe that there are those who pray and fast and have all the faith in the world, but would yet not be able to cast out such kind of demons.

But Jesus was able to do it without even fasting during the course of His ministry, so what I want to know is the message that Jesus was actually trying to pass across with that saying.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Oct 05, 2019
Bruno3000:
Of course Jesus fasted during the course of His ministry. I already answered u; if u are spirit-filled, there's no demon, no matter how strong, that u cannot cast out. Simple. The demons themselves know their place when they are confronted by such people. HOLY GHOST BAPTISM is the key word. The prayer and fasting Jesus was talking about is to energise the spirit man to do battle at any time or hour the need arises.
So you mean those who today are able to cast out some demons but not some other kinds of demons are not spirit-filled?
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Bruno3000(m): 8:24am On Oct 06, 2019
jesusjnr:
So you mean those who today are able to cast out some demons but not some other kinds of demons are not spirit-filled?
Have u met any? No demon is uncastable. The stronger they are, the higher God raises a bar above them.

1 Like

Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 06, 2019
Bruno3000:
Have u met any? No demon is uncastable. The stronger they are, the higher God raises a bar above them.
I'm not talking about what God was able to do for nothing is impossible with God.

But my point is how much of that God's capacity is being manifested through man, for Jesus showed God's capacity and what God intends of men, when He was able to cast out that kind of demon. But those men couldn't, and up til date there are yet so many annointed men who can cast out some demons but not those kinds of demons. And this also applies to the kind of works that Jesus was able to do.

So the point is, what are they missing out that Jesus had?
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 06, 2019
On a lighter mood..
Is there any part of the scriptures that confirmed to us that Jesus was not fasting at that time?

And besides, He is the Son of God, He has the power to do, He doesn't need to pray yet He does anyway. The Son of God only needed to speak and it shall be so...

So. Jesus needed not fasting nor prayer, He simply exercised his authority.
When you as a child of God know what power you have, greater works shall you do.

Bible says. IF YE HAVE FAITH, not if ye fast and pray..you will tell mountain to shift...and it will obey you

2 Likes

Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 06, 2019
The fact that someone is a man of God doesn't mean He doesn't have weakness, if some men of God opens up to you, you may doubt their calling. Here are some reasons
If your Faith is shaky, you might get nothing
If you are in Sin, forget it.
If God has not assigned you to do it, it will not work either.

Acts.19.15 - One day the evil spirit answered them, "Jesus I know, and I know about Paul, but who are you?"
The statement above shows you that, it has been working for them until that moment so

If you are not truly Called, there are limits to what you can do.

There are lots other reason things may not happen.

God told David that he will not be the one to build the temple, that is not to say that He doesn't have all it takes to build it...
So ..sometimes, there is more to it than you know

jesusjnr:
I'm not talking about what God was able to do for nothing is impossible with God.

But my point is how much of that God's capacity is being manifested through man, for Jesus showed God's capacity and what God intends of men, when He was able to cast out that kind of demon. But those men couldn't, and up til date there are yet so many annointed men who can cast out some demons but not those kinds of demons. And this also applies to the kind of works that Jesus was able to do.

1 Like

Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Mariangeles(f): 5:37pm On Oct 06, 2019
jesusjnr:

Thanks.
Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal it to you .

2 Likes

Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Oct 06, 2019
bodysoul:
The fact that someone is a man of God doesn't mean He doesn't have weakness, if some men of God opens up to you, you may doubt their calling. Here are some reasons
If your Faith is shaky, you might get nothing
If you are in Sin, forget it.
If God has not assigned you to do it, it will not work either.

Acts.19.15 - One day the evil spirit answered them, "Jesus I know, and I know about Paul, but who are you?"
The statement above shows you that, it has been working for them until that moment so

If you are not truly Called, there are limits to what you can do.

There are lots other reason things may not happen.

God told David that he will not be the one to build the temple, that is not to say that He doesn't have all it takes to build it...
So ..sometimes, there is more to it than you know

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

@ bolded is what I'm actually after.

God bless.
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 06, 2019
bodysoul:
On a lighter mood..
Is there any part of the scriptures that confirmed to us that Jesus was not fasting at that time?

And besides, He is the Son of God, He has the power to do, He doesn't need to pray yet He does anyway. The Son of God only needed to speak and it shall be so...

When you as a child of God know what power you have, greater works shall you do.

Bible says. IF YE HAVE FAITH, not if ye fast and pray..you will tell mountain to shift...and it will obey you
As for the bolded, not really, but it was drawn from the following instances:

Matthew 11:19 (KJV)

19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Luke 5:30 (KJV)

30 But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?

I know about what Jesus was able to do regardless, but I know Jesus being the perfect example fulfilled all righteousness as that His saying, hence my question how?
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Oct 06, 2019
Mariangeles:

Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal it to you .
Hey sis!

Been quite a while. How have you been doing?

Well He has already revealed it to me, but I just wanted to hear your views.

Or do you want me to reveal it to you?

By the way, i have not forgotten what you did for me at some point. And I still pray for you. God bless.
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by petra1(m): 5:57am On Oct 07, 2019
jesusjnr:
:

God bless.

Matthew 4:2
And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred

1 Like

Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Bruno3000(m): 7:36am On Oct 07, 2019
We keep going back and forth... Re-read my previous response. The answers are there.
jesusjnr:

Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 07, 2019
Bruno3000:
We keep going back and forth... Re-read my previous response. The answers are there.
I didn't find what I needed there,

But thanks anyway.
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 8:08am On Oct 07, 2019
petra1:

Matthew 4:2
And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred
Thanks a lot for this post.

I think we're finally getting there.
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Oct 30, 2019
Question: Why was Jesus able to cast out that kind of demon that could not go out but by prayer and fasting without fasting?

Answer: Jesus was able to cast out that kind of demon without having to fast during that moment, because the purpose of fasting, which is the obedience of God's Word had been accomplished in His life.

For that was accomplished after he had fasted for forty days and forty nights, and was tempted of the devil but didn't fall into temptation.

And I believe that this was the message that Jesus was trying to pass on to His disciples on that occasion, that to be able to cast out such kind of demons, it requires not just faith, but a level of the obedience of God's Word which only prayer and fasting is able to take one to.

For that's the level of the obedience of God's Word that could command the capacity of God's Spirit required to cast out such kinds of devils, and also to do such extent of works that Jesus was able to do.

So despite that Jesus wasn't fasting at that point in time, He had already done the fasting required to take Him to that level of obedience, while prayer was meant to sustain that level.

Hence He didn't need to fast anymore but to continue praying to sustain the level of obedience required to be able to cast out those demons, which fasting had already taken Him to.

That was how Jesus was able to cast out those kind of devils which cannot come out but by prayer and fasting without fasting.

God bless.

Related thread: https://www.nairaland.com/5501886/purpose-prayer-fasting
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by majorgr: 12:42am On Oct 31, 2019
people don't understand as a Bible scholar, that part where it says about prayer and fasting was not in the original manuscript, translators added it because they felt it goes together but it wasn't the original intent. Because the Major qualification Jesus gave was having faith going to fast and pray to cast out demons would be a contradiction of His earlier statement
now, look at the screenshot i took of different versions of bible, mind you, NIV has been said to be the closet to the original bible notice that that part was omitted because it was not originally there, bible translators thought it was necessary that's why they added that part which was not found in the manuscript

Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by CodeTemplar: 12:57am On Oct 31, 2019
bodysoul:
On a lighter mood..

Before Jesus was tempted by Devil didn't He fast? in Mathew 4? I wonder how people are responding to such an OP.

1 Like

Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Fortissimo502: 9:48am On Oct 31, 2019
I believe Jesus was referring to the unbelief and not the devil. Also makes more sense to me that way.
Re: How Did Jesus Cast Out Devils That Can't Go Out But By Fasting Without Fasting? by Kobojunkie: 8:29pm On Dec 06, 2023
■ Hence the question: Why was Jesus able to cast out that kind of demon that could not go out but by prayer and fasting without fasting?
Answer: Because the purpose of fasting has been accomplished in His life.
Rubbish! undecided

Jesus Christ did fast, only not the starvation diet kind of fasting religious folks hold to. Isaiah 58 vs 1 - 13 and Zechariah 7 vs 8 -14 detail the kind of fasting that the God of Israel commands, which looks nothing like what the rest of the world does. And we know from the Gospels that everywhere Jesus Christ went, He did many of the same good works detailed even in those chapters meeting up with that which is stipulated by God as far as His Kind of fasting is concerned. undecided

More importantly, Jesus Christ did not live under the New Covenant but the Old Covenant since He did make clear that He did not do His own Will(The New Covenant) but the Father's Will(The Old Covenant) so it is in error to judge that the reason He was able to cast out demons had to do with fasting since the Old Law does not state it so. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Chukwuemeka Odumeje Aka The Lion Displays Another Interesting Talent (vid / My Final Opinion About Tithing. / Was Jesus A White Or A Black Man.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.