Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,191 members, 7,818,619 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! (5112 Views)

Army Disbands Courts Martial, Set To Review Cases / IG Disbands LG Revenue Collection Road Blocks / Ig Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by wales(m): 6:36am On Nov 04, 2010
The Acting Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Hafiz Ringim, has disbanded multiple crime squads in different states nationwide, saying the squads have become inefficient.

According to the IG, a radical overhaul of the Nigeria Police Force for optimal performance in the 2011 general elections has begun.

The IG said this at the Force Headquarters in Abuja on Wednesday during the decoration of 12 Commissioners of Police with their new rank of Assistant Inspector-General of Police.

He said a review of the police supervisory mechanism to ensure professionalism and the enforcement of best practices had become imperative.

Units affected by the sweeping changes are the Mobile Police, Anti-Robbery Squad, Highway Patrol, Border Patrol and Surveillance and Intelligence Unit.

The squads include Rapid Respond Squad in Lagos, Swift Operations, Rivers, Operation Abefele in Oyo.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20101104418993Link:
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by wales(m): 6:36am On Nov 04, 2010
I hope it is for the improvement of policing nationwide. Have replacement units been created to avoid an operational vacuum? Or is it all about the moneythe same disbanded units are “disbanded", then renamed. New sets of uniforms are prescribed, contracts awarded to suppliers, while 10% change hands ending up in private accounts. Then,timeconsuming probes whose value is to worsen our already battered, frosty national image.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by Golfer: 1:04pm On Nov 04, 2010
Is this guy on drugs?? 

Rapid Respond Squad in Lagos has been a breath of fresh air, why disband them?

They dither crime just by their presence and good vehicles and armoury (donated by Lagos businesses).

So why disband them and what is the replacement?

angry angry angry angry
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by marcus1234: 1:43pm On Nov 04, 2010
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by sayso: 1:58pm On Nov 04, 2010
I was so scared along the East-West road over the weekend because teh road looked like a grave yard.no police/mopol/highway patrol presence.This hooligans will strike oooh before the new team takes over.God protect your children.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by Ekans: 2:01pm On Nov 04, 2010
Na wa for police.In P/H,mobile policemen attached to the anti-crime unit have become traffic wardens arresting people that beat the traffic light.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by chines4(m): 2:21pm On Nov 04, 2010
What about the police toll gates allover the country. Toll collections by police is the main cause of their inefficiency not special crime squads. Let the IG disband all police toll collection centers( check point, stop and search operation or what ever name they call it). Let the police patrol the areas assign to them. this way the criminals will not know where the police might be at any time. Personally I can tell you where and when u will see police men at any particular time. If I can predict the police so will criminals do. IG please disband the toll collection centers sad
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by tpia5: 2:25pm On Nov 04, 2010
hmmm.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by femionasan(m): 2:33pm On Nov 04, 2010
Typical Nigerian attitude, come in scatter everything done by your predecessor. Why cant there ever be continuity? Improve on what already exists.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by andyanders: 3:25pm On Nov 04, 2010
[b]YOU CANNOT REFORM A ROGUE. POLICEMEN IN NIGERIA TEND TO PREFER BRIBE TO DIGNITY. BAD NAME THAN GOOD NAME. HOW CAN YOU REFORM A CORRUPT POLICEMAN?

TAKE A LOOK OF ANY POLICEMAN DISMISSED FROM THE POLICE, HIS NEXT APPOINTMENT WILL BE CRIME. HE WILL JOIN ARMED ROBBERS BECAUSE HE KNOWS THE GAME ALREADY AND HOW TO GO ABOUT IT. IF YOU EVEN HAVE A POLICE BRODA, IT TAKES THE GRACE OF GOD FOR HIM NOT TO HARM YOU BY TELLING THEIR FRIENDS ABOUT YOU. I HAVE A FRIEND, WHO CAME BACK FROM GERMANY AND TOLD HIS COUSIN WHO IS A POLICEMAN THAT HE BROUGHT IN SOME CARS AND WANTED TO CLEAR THEM AND INVITED HIS COUSIN WHO IS A POLICEMAN TO HELP HIM OF WHICH HE DID AND THE CARS WERE GENUINELY CLEARED AND PICKED IN HIS HOUSE. THE NEXT DAY, HE WAS IN HIS HOUSE WHEN PLAIN CLOTH POLICEMEN CAME AND THEY MOVED THE WHOLE CARS TO THEIR OFFICE AND HE CALLED HIS COUSIN AND WITHIN A SPACE OF SOME MINS, HE WAS THERE AND HE WAS SURPRISED HOW HE ARRIVED EARLY. HE PROMISED TO SORT OUT THE ISSUE. AFTER THE WHOLE THING HE CAME BACK TO TELL HIM THAT HE HAS TO PAY AND GET OUT THE CARS. HE DID AND THE CARS WERE RELEASED TO HIM.

LATER, ONE OF THE POLICEMEN THAT CAME BACK, TOOK PITY ON HIM AND ASKED HIM WHO THAT GUY WAS AND HE TOLD HIM THAT HE IS A COUSIN. HE SAID THAT IT WAS THE GUY WHO BROUGHT THEM TO THE HOUSE. THE NEXT DAY, MY FRIEND PACKED OUT FROM THE HOUSE FOR FEAR THAT THE GUY MIGHT TURN AROUND TO PLAN TO ROBB HIM OR KILL HIM
[/b]
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by agitator: 3:43pm On Nov 04, 2010
chines4:

What about the police toll gates allover the country. Toll collections by police is the main cause of their inefficiency not special crime squads. Let the IG disband all police toll collection centers( check point, stop and search operation or what ever name they call it). Let the police patrol the areas assign to them. this way the criminals will not know where the police might be at any time. Personally I can tell you where and when u will see police men at any particular time. If I can predict the police so will criminals do. IG please disband the toll collection centers sad

God bless you for this post smiley
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by eherbal(m): 4:33pm On Nov 04, 2010
bout time angry
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 04, 2010
Bull crap. The Lagos rapid response squad have really performed well in cobbing crime. What has the new overzealous goon got to offer us   as alternative?
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 04, 2010
femionasan:

Typical Nigerian attitude, come in scatter everything done by your predecessor. Why cant there ever be continuity? Improve on what already exists.
That is caused by pride and arrogance. However this is just a negative act as he has not put in place any replacement program.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by chyz(m): 9:12pm On Nov 04, 2010
As long as the police force stays centralized, it will always be the same.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by marcus1234: 9:13pm On Nov 04, 2010
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by fyneguy: 9:30pm On Nov 04, 2010
No wonder robbery in traffic jam is back in Lagos

I was almost robbed at Anthony last week. The guy was hitting my glass with a pistol. I had to quickly switch to the BRT lane and sped off.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by Obijulius: 11:35pm On Nov 04, 2010
disband d police, grin grin grin grin it wont make any difference whether they'r there or not

hapi times r here again
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by puskin: 2:14am On Nov 05, 2010
Any new IG dat enters wants to do or say something (beneficial or non-beneficial) to stamp his authority. . . . . . . . nonsense.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by OCCULTIST(m): 6:05am On Nov 05, 2010
Did he also DISBAND the BAKASSI BOYS IN ABA? the bakassi boys are the only people he is suppose to disband
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by Ajike: 11:06am On Nov 05, 2010
Total nonsense
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by member479760: 11:09am On Nov 05, 2010
this is just grammar, the best thing we Nigerians for.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by fASHCEO(m): 11:37am On Nov 05, 2010
This is just a show of incompetence.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by leleri: 11:42am On Nov 05, 2010
DOES THE IG KNOW HOW MUCH LAGOS STATE HAS SPEND ON SECURITY LAST WEEK A FRIEND COMPLAINED THAT ARMED ROBBERS CAME TO ROB THEIR HOUSE AROUN 3.30AM I HOPE HE DOES NOT WANT LAGOS TO GO BACK TO THE DARK AGES.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by slap1(m): 11:48am On Nov 05, 2010
This is just chasing shadows. The same illiterate, trigger-happy, twenty-naira-addicted, unprepared, clueless, helpless, 'weaponless', tactless, brainless tom and jerrys with the lowest level of orientation in policing will be transfered to other states under news squad names to continue from where they stopped. If you sell a monkey and buy a dog, you still have an animal that squats in your house.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by firmi(m): 12:20pm On Nov 05, 2010
na wa o.in dis country,wen u get a promotion especially wen its in a place of authority(GOVERNMENT).is it an excuse 2 gt get dumber by making unnecessary headlines.u dont jst come in less dan 48hrs in office nd make stupid decisions.wit no alternative.
so after all lagos state investment on security frm no were u jst decide 2 overhaul.haha mmmmmmmmmmmmmennnnn its like min for information closing all tv stations leaving only nta shocked
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by udennaa: 12:22pm On Nov 05, 2010
slap1:

This is just chasing shadows. The same illiterate, trigger-happy, twenty-naira-addicted, unprepared, clueless, helpless, 'weaponless', tactless, brainless tom and jerrys with the lowest level of orientation in policing will be transfered to other states under news squad names to continue from where they stopped. If you sell a monkey and buy a dog, you still have an animal that squats in your house.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by kayoday(m): 12:32pm On Nov 05, 2010
Golfer:

Is this guy on drugs??  

Rapid Respond Squad in Lagos has been a breath of fresh air, why disband them?

angry angry angry angry

Which RRS areu talking about? those guys do nothing than taking their share from Agberos and park chairmen. Dont be deceive by those amoured cars parked at some strategic location some of them not moved from same spot in 6 month. A driver once told me that amoured car and RRS parked at some specific parks are being paid for daily by the Chairman of such park. It is deliberately stationed there to provide protection for current chairman of such park to discourage rivals from taking over. I believe the driver cos he was one of them.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by campella(m): 12:38pm On Nov 05, 2010
I MUST TELL YOU THAT WE WELCOME THIS NEWS.
BUT BEFORE THE SPECIAL SQUADS THAT WOULD TAKE OVER, HAS THE IG MADE ADEQUATE ARRANGEMENT?
ME DEY FEAR, ESPECIALLY THE EASTERN STATES.
PLEASE HURRY WITH WHATEVER YOU PLAN TO DO TO COB CRIME.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by sholasahyd(m): 12:42pm On Nov 05, 2010
Disbanding the special squads allover the country is not the solution. What the Nigeria Police need is re-trainning and re-evaluation of its men. Oversea courses and up to date equipment to combat crime effectively. I really hope this guy knows what he's doing!
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by Golfer: 3:53pm On Nov 05, 2010
kayoday:

Which RRS areu talking about? those guys do nothing than taking their share from Agberos and park chairmen. Dont be deceive by those amoured cars parked at some strategic location some of them not moved from same spot in 6 month. A driver once told me that amoured car and RRS parked at some specific parks are being paid for daily by the Chairman of such park. It is deliberately stationed there to provide protection for current chairman of such park to discourage rivals from taking over. I believe the driver cos he was one of them.

These guys have been located strategically to protect the people of Lagos; have you ever seen them fighting for any chairman?  The RRS has not been involved in other activities like the toll collectors etc.
They were funded mainly by Lagos businesses.  In my opinion, they have been doing a good job.
Re: IG Disbands Special Crime Squads Nationwide! by Nobody: 7:05pm On Nov 05, 2010
cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogboru Goes To Supreme Court / Buhari Rejects New CSO By DSS / Robert Mugabe Vs The White Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.