Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,600 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

Origin Of Sin - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Origin Of Sin (3167 Views)

Is It Fair That A Mere 70 Years Of ‪‎Sin‬ Be Punished By An Eternity In ‪‎Hell? / Destination Of Sin By Pastor Adeboye / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Origin Of Sin by 4one9: 2:32pm On Nov 05, 2010
been wondering, the origin of sin was wen lucifer (satan) was sent to earth after his fall.he wanted to be greater than God and occupy Gods position, where does the thought of him wanting to be greater than God came frm (the thought is a sin) since satanism and sin started after lucifer fall (rebel against God) ,does it mean that d spirit of sin has existed b/f lucifer decided to rebel against God or wat? i mean where does satan get that sinful thought of him wanting to be greater than God?(dont knw hw to explain my point better but hpe u grab wat i mean)?
intelligent response only.
Re: Origin Of Sin by Ascony(m): 3:22pm On Nov 05, 2010
very good thought, now this is the point where they will tell u that its all a mystery u will never understand.
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Origin Of Sin by e36991: 3:54pm On Nov 05, 2010
Ascony:

very good thought,

now this is the point where they will tell u that its all a mystery u will never understand.

undecided undecided undecided

@^^^

grin grin grin lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

[center]"ǝsǝ ıs oʞ 'uıɟos o ıʇ nlI" - ʍɐl ǝɥʇ ɟo uoıssǝɹƃsuɐɹʇ ǝɥʇ sı uıS˙uıs sı ssǝusnoǝʇɥƃıɹun llɐ[/center]
Re: Origin Of Sin by 4one9: 6:22pm On Nov 05, 2010
@ascony
tnx
Re: Origin Of Sin by InesQor(m): 7:37pm On Nov 05, 2010
@OP:

You may have missed this by e36991, it sums up the answer:

"ǝsǝ ıs oʞ 'uıɟos o ıʇ nlI" - ʍɐl ǝɥʇ ɟo uoıssǝɹƃsuɐɹʇ ǝɥʇ sı uıS˙uıs sı ssǝusnoǝʇɥƃıɹun llɐ
Re: Origin Of Sin by Joagbaje(m): 8:27pm On Nov 05, 2010
Sin was found in him , he had a choice God doesn't program our thoughts for us. He became greedy and he didn't check it until his greedy thoughts moved him into an error. Every man is tempt when he is drawn of his own lust. Without the devil, man also still has his natural characteristics. Remember that during the millennial reign. When the devil would have been put in the bottomless pit, there would still be need for law and justice on the earth , even when there is no devil. Why? Because every man still has a character of his spirit.
Re: Origin Of Sin by Nobody: 9:14pm On Nov 05, 2010
Joagbaje:

Sin was found in him , he had a choice God doesn't program our thoughts for us. He became greedy and he didn't check it until his greedy thoughts moved him into an error. Every man is tempt when he is drawn of his own lust. Without the devil, man also still has his natural characteristics. Remember that during the millennial reign. When the devil would have been put in the bottomless pit, there would still be need for law and justice on the earth , even when there is no devil. Why? Because every man still has a character of his spirit.

Great explanation!!! I applaud you brother.
Re: Origin Of Sin by Jenwitemi(m): 9:20pm On Nov 05, 2010
Joagbaje, the artful dodger. You did not even make the attempt to address the core question. Let me remind you one more time what that question is; IF THERE WAS NO SIN PRIOR TO LUCIFER, WHERE DID THE SINFUL THOUGHT TO DEPOSE GOD COME FROM? Simple. Please, respond properly this time and quit the sidestepping.
Joagbaje:

Re: Origin Of Sin by Jenwitemi(m): 9:21pm On Nov 05, 2010
You think that was a great explanation? I see you enjoy applauding non-answers. No wonder you are a christian. embarassed
Martian:

Great explanation!!! I applaud you brother.
Re: Origin Of Sin by 4one9: 9:36pm On Nov 05, 2010
@joagbaje
i'm not convinced wit ur response. u will agree wit me that satan(lucifer) is d architect of all evil and sin, my question is, prior to his fall, where does d evil thought to rebel against God came frm?since what all God created was good i.e He created no evil or sin?
@jewitemi
exactly. u correct
Re: Origin Of Sin by 4one9: 9:37pm On Nov 05, 2010
@inesqor
u did not answer my question
Re: Origin Of Sin by InesQor(m): 9:42pm On Nov 05, 2010
@4one9

What I quoted there by e36991 was, in English, "Where there is no law, there is no trangression".

When you define what is right, you have defined what is NOT right.

I have argued this metaphysically in the past, I wont bother doing so again. You can read it here.

Meta-ethics: The Nature And Origins Of Good And Evil

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=402063

Cheers
Re: Origin Of Sin by Joagbaje(m): 12:19am On Nov 06, 2010
Jenwitemi:

Joagbaje, the artful dodger. You did not even make the attempt to address the core question. Let me remind you one more time what that question is; IF THERE WAS NO SIN PRIOR TO LUCIFER, WHERE DID THE SINFUL THOUGHT TO DEPOSE GOD COME FROM? Simple. Please, respond properly this time and quit the sidestepping.

You are only answering your name , so no offence. I answered you already.  A man has ability to disobey God. Angels have the ability to dis obey, God gave lucifer the ability to obey him and not to, he had his will, lucifer does not need a devil to sin,

Obeying God is out of reverence and worship. The same goes for man.   In the millennial , Satan will not be there to tempt man, but man will still exercise his his will to obey or not. After this will be the final judgement
Re: Origin Of Sin by Jenwitemi(m): 12:45am On Nov 06, 2010
Still dancing around, unsurprisingly. Let me help you here. Because the bible god gives the will to sin, HE IS THE ORIGIN OF SIN, THEN. Right, jo?
Joagbaje:

You are only answering your name , so no offence. I answered you already.  A man has ability to disobey God. Angels have the ability to dis obey, God gave lucifer the ability to obey him and not to, he had his will, lucifer does not need a devil to sin,

Obeying God is out of reverence and worship. The same goes for man.   In the millennial , Satan will not be there to tempt man, but man will still exercise his his will to obey or not. After this will be the final judgement
Re: Origin Of Sin by Joagbaje(m): 6:26am On Nov 06, 2010
Jenwitemi:

Still dancing around, unsurprisingly. Let me help you here. Because the bible god gives the will to sin, HE IS THE ORIGIN OF SIN, THEN. Right, jo?

Proverbs 18:2
2 A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.
Re: Origin Of Sin by nuclearboy(m): 6:51am On Nov 06, 2010
Jenwitemi:

Inesqor has started to explain but let me try to give another perspectivenon this issue.

Until God made laws and said, "this is bad", there was NO sin or transgression possible. Once laws were in place, sin became a possibility.

The choice of doing right or wrong belongs to us. As long as we are tempted and do not act on the temptation, we remain free of sin. Satan acted on his instincts and decided he wanted more than was his due. That was the onset of sin. Its like saying a gun kills. No, people kill. And they don't just kill (in this case) - they DECIDE to kill
Re: Origin Of Sin by tpia5: 6:53am On Nov 06, 2010
true.
Re: Origin Of Sin by InesQor(m): 7:30am On Nov 06, 2010
God bless you for that, nuclearboy smiley

Very apt.
Re: Origin Of Sin by DeepSight(m): 4:34pm On Nov 06, 2010
nuclearboy:

Jenwitemi:

Inesqor has started to explain but let me try to give another perspectivenon this issue.

Until God made laws and said, "this is bad", there was NO sin or transgression possible. Once laws were in place, sin became a possibility.

The choice of doing right or wrong belongs to us. As long as we are tempted and do not act on the temptation, we remain free of sin. Satan acted on his instincts and decided he wanted more than was his due. That was the onset of sin. Its like saying a gun kills. No, people kill. And they don't just kill (in this case) - they DECIDE to kill

You need to come up with something more plausible. You say that "Satan acted on his instincts". . .without bothering to wonder from where such instincts arose? From where did all things in existence arise?

InesQor:

@4one9

What I quoted there by e36991 was, in English, "Where there is no law, there is no trangression".

When you define what is right, you have defined what is NOT right.

I have argued this metaphysically in the past, I wont bother doing so again. You can read it here.

Meta-ethics: The Nature And Origins Of Good And Evil

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=402063

Cheers

Chessmaster, you aint even scratched the surface. What do you mean "where there is no law. . ." - ? ? ?

Can you tell me at what time or place there has not been divine law?

Is divine law not eternal?

If God be eternal in the past, which he is asserted to be, and if God be the embodiment of divine law - then law has always existed. Start afresh.
Re: Origin Of Sin by vedaxcool(m): 4:55pm On Nov 06, 2010
My take on this is simple, Sin originated once Free will comes to play, that is if one has the freedom to act what he wants to do at anytime then when his aspirations do not meet reality he finds a way to short cut the process, In Islam satan's sin was his refusal to prostrate when ordered to, in the belief that he was better than Adam, in terms of origin, Now God had simply given satan free will to choose whether he wants to bow or not, now to satans common sense made Adam was inferior to Him, being a Jin, hence he refused. SO PUT IT FREE WILL TO CHOOSE OUR ACTIONS PUTS US AT RISK OF SINNING, AND WHEN YOU HAVE THE TEMPTING VOICE OF THE DEVIL, it makes it more likely.
Re: Origin Of Sin by Rhino4dm: 6:36pm On Nov 06, 2010
Humans as a free will beings that poses the ability to choose between available options, In that everything we question leads and points to one direction i.e a grand design. I am of the believe that God creates everything in a whole pack (dont get me wrong). For example i for once observed that when ever am about do bad or commit a crime my heart beats increases and then i will ask why?. The free will in me is a determinant in choosing between the options. Before then if i may ask what is the origin of good? Our ability to turn a nuclear reaction into either bomb or power still lies in our hands. So God creates everything but our ability to good or evil lies in our hand. Finito
Re: Origin Of Sin by Rhino4dm: 6:37pm On Nov 06, 2010
Humans as a free will beings that poses the ability to choose between available options, In that everything we question leads and points to one direction i.e a grand design. I am of the believe that God creates everything in a whole pack (dont get me wrong). For example i for once observed that when ever am about do bad or commit a crime my heart beats increases and then i will ask why?. The free will in me is a determinant in choosing between the options. Before then if i may ask what is the origin of good? Our ability to turn a nuclear reaction into either bomb or power still lies in our hands. So God creates everything but our ability to good or evil lies in our hand. Finito
Re: Origin Of Sin by InesQor(m): 12:24am On Nov 07, 2010
@Deep Sight:

If you can read Yoruba, you will see that I was simply translating what e36991 said

"Ilu ti ko si ofin, ko si ese" meaning where there is no law, there is no trangression.

Reading between the lines, we can tell that life is not an "ilu" or city, and also, as such no one said at any time that there was a time when divine law was not in operation and making sure sin did not exist.

Summarily, that phrase by e36991 was a popular Yoruba metaphor.

"Good" is defined by initial purpose. At the moment it is defined, some corresponding evil is defined as that which the good is not. I think its simple.

God in establishing creation, established freewill in some created agents. BY establishing freewill, he made it possible for one to get into either side of the divide of good and "evil". FREE WILL. Do as you please, your own decisions in your own hands, your life (as it were) in your hands.

Hope my point is clear now, Chessmaster.
Re: Origin Of Sin by Jenwitemi(m): 2:27am On Nov 07, 2010
nuclearboy:

Jenwitemi:

You still have not extricated the BG(bible god) from the fact that "he" is the originator of sin. If his giving of laws made it possible to allow for freewill, then that goes a long way to reconfirm the BG as the originator of sin.

Let's leave out freewill for man and concentrate on freewill for angels since we are talking about conflict in heaven. Obviously, heaven is now a place where there is freewill, right? This would subsequently mean that the kingdom of heaven is not as perfect an abode of God as we have been led to believe. A claim that diametrically opposes the immaculate and clean image of the KOH(kingdom of heaven) that we have always been served by the two Abrahamic religions like christianity. It seems that due to the presence of freewill amongst angels, war can break out anytime as it did back then. This subsequently means that KOH is a place no better or worse than here on earth. DO ANGELS HAVE FREEWILL TOO? Was good old Luke equipped with freewill which made him rebel against the bible god? Evidently, from all the foregoing, we have been lied to by someone(s) about how things really are.
Re: Origin Of Sin by nuclearboy(m): 4:56am On Nov 07, 2010
I remember a phrase from a song from an old movie

"The good lord God gave man a hand of Iron, to do his work and not complain,
the good lord God gave man a hand of iron, BUT
with a little bit of luck, with a little bit of luck,
someone else will do the blinking work"

Many would be too young to have seen "My fair Lady" but the above taken from it aptly describes this issue. The one singing has decided that the hand "could" RATHER be applied to compelling another to do his work. That, he calls luck though acknowledging the fact that the hand was created for his own work. That is what is happening on this page - people trying to blame God for evil to make themselves feel better about their lives.

God's laws remain true till today. Our choice to live filthy remains OUR choice. Rather than seek to blame God for our greed and poor choices, why not decide for change. Its childish and reprehensible to say the creators of Chocolate or Tobacco were the ones who gave you diabetes or cancer. All you had to do was zip your gut. Some others did that.
Re: Origin Of Sin by nuclearboy(m): 5:17am On Nov 07, 2010
@DS:

Replace "instincts" with "desire" if that will butter your toast

@Jenwitemi:

Your theology is faulty. Rather than depend on hearsay which you have decided to give credence, why not study? The KOH you speak of - is it in the past or present or future? Or did you create it in your own mind as an amalgamation of hearsay, past, future and wishful thinking?
Re: Origin Of Sin by bashydemy(m): 6:39am On Nov 07, 2010
I believe this is beyond human imagination we are not there then to know what really happen but we believe in what we hear from time to time and also was written in the Holy Quran but something i sit and think if truly satan exist just to Qualify some bad thing to his name.
Re: Origin Of Sin by Jenwitemi(m): 11:58am On Nov 07, 2010
Is the entire christian theology not based on myths, legends and hearsays too, nuclearboy? I am only playing the game the way you guys play it. You know, the "let's-just-pretend-it-is-all-real" game. grin
nuclearboy:

@Jenwitemi:

Your theology is faulty. Rather than depend on hearsay which you have decided to give credence, why not study? The KOH you speak of - is it in the past or present or future? Or did you create it in your own mind as an amalgamation of hearsay, past, future and wishful thinking?
Re: Origin Of Sin by e36991: 2:07pm On Nov 07, 2010
4one9:

Been wondering, the origin of sin was when lucifer (satan) was sent to earth after his fall.

He wanted to be greater than God and occupy Gods position,

Where did the thought of him wanting to be greater than God come from (the thought is a sin)

since satanism and sin started after lucifer fall (rebel against God),

does it mean that d spirit of sin has existed b/f lucifer decided to rebel against God or wat?

I mean where does satan get that sinful thought of him wanting to be greater than God?

(dont knw hw to explain my point better but hpe u grab wat i mean)?

Intelligent response only.

nuclearboy:

Jenwitemi:

The choice of doing right or wrong belongs to us. As long as we are tempted and do not act on the temptation, we remain free of sin.

Satan acted on his instincts and decided he wanted more than was his due.

That was the onset of sin. Its like saying a gun kills. No, people kill. And they don't just kill (in this case) - they DECIDE to kill

Deep Sight:

You need to come up with something more plausible.

You say that "Satan acted on his instincts". . . without bothering to wonder from where such instincts arose?

From where did all things in existence arise?

nuclearboy:

@DS:

Replace "instincts[" with "desire" if that will butter your toast

@4one9

Dont expect this submission to do a dissertation on your posting

Please recognise that ALL things, things in heaven and on earth, were created by God.

Only by God and none else
. . .

Examples such as DESIRE, SIN, DEATH, PAIN, etc were created by God,

Some of the deliberately fore-mentioned examples were created live

and some were dependent on others before going live (i.e. their activation from dormant state depends on others already running)

Now unchecked and uncontrollable desires are not right, especially when there is a law against that particular position or object of desire

Note that Lucifer and Eve had a vice in common - LUST

- LUST is an increasing and uncontrollable thought; DESIRE,

which if left unchecked leads to going after the object of thought or desire in an unrightful way or means by whatever means neccesary

Understand that each (i.e. Lucifer and Eve) developed improper desires (i.e. improper and unlawful thoughts)

They had the thought themselves, just the same way you have thoughts and like this thought to submit your post.

The thought came from within them, not from anywhere else and definitely not dropped in by God

In effect, the fact of the matter is that, Satan had the thought all alone without inducement or outside help

4one9, importantly note, it is when desires or thoughts turn to lust, that it becomes  sinRef: Matt 5:28 wink

Whether in Heaven or on earth, when improper desires are conceived, they finally end up giving birth to sin, after elevation to lust.

There surely must have been a law in heaven not to usurp, for sin to be found in Satan

Anyways, by default, sin is activated and becomes live when a law is transgressed

Death was dependent on sin and in tandem was only activated on earth when sin rolled in wink . . .

It is a privilege to think, a special enjoyment

- to have thoughts, to consider things, to deliberate things, to reflect, to plan, to have ideas

This is a right or immunity not enjoyed by others or by all

and a right that should not have been misused nor abused by anyone whether one is Satan, Eve, man etc . . .

The popular adage goes "Eni ma yo, a yo, ti a ba gbu ounje sinu epo epa"

Good place for a Tik-Tak, here

Bottom line is, there isnt any room for blame games or finger pointings .

Satan, Eve, man etc are answerable to God and accountable for individual sin(s)
Re: Origin Of Sin by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 07, 2010
Sin can't just come into existence.God himself never created sin but he created choice and desire.Then someone like lucifer had a desire to be above God maybe he never knew that his desire was too much.So he allowed his desire to be out of bounds thereby allowing his freedom of choice to come into practilization.But unluckily for him,the choice he made was too great for a servent.So his great aspiration then resulted into a sin.''But each man is tempted when by his own evil DESIRE,he is dragged away and enticed.Then after desire has conceived,it gives birth to SIN,when it is full grown,gives birth to death''(James 1 vs 14-15).I have no desire to make this an arguement cos it is the truth.
Re: Origin Of Sin by e36991: 6:13pm On Nov 07, 2010
Benstino:

Sin can't just come into existence.

God himself never created sin
but . . .

@Benstino

Really? shocked shocked shocked

Tell me, how did DEATH come into existence?

Who created PAIN, DEATH, etc
Re: Origin Of Sin by DeepSight(m): 6:19pm On Nov 07, 2010
nuclearboy:

@DS:

Replace "instincts" with "desire" if that will butter your toast

. . . . . And pray tell, who created desire? ? ? ?

These half-considered ripostes will not do.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

why Are Women So Useless? / James Morgan Explains His Journey From Being A Christian Pastor To Atheist / The Man Tb Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.