Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,839 members, 7,831,720 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Immorality Vs Illegality- A Case Of Imaginary "Sex-for-grades - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Immorality Vs Illegality- A Case Of Imaginary "Sex-for-grades (154 Views)

Sex-for-bail Scandal Rocks Bariga Police Station / Man Batters Wife For Denying Him Sex For Two Years (photos) / 16-Year-Old OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Poor Grades (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Immorality Vs Illegality- A Case Of Imaginary "Sex-for-grades by seguntijan(m): 9:15am On Oct 09, 2019
Dear Dean:
We see this issue differently for several reasons.
(1) I condemn in absolute terms all forms of immorality against students. However, I'll never judge what happens between and among adults of same or opposite sex.
(2) If a stranger would intrude our privacies and covertly "seduce" colleagues to fish for evidence of perceived "immorality" in a most criminal manner, we must condemn it.
(3) We all are victims. If BBC could come to secretly film us, then CIA would be justified to plant secret cameras in our offices and homes to film our activities and discussions as well as our private moments with our wives and husbands in a desperate bid to fish for evidence of "sex for grades" where none exists, to the best of my knowledge.
(4) I'm a regular member of the Club and it's cool room. It's a functions room for meetings. An immediate past VC and other prominent Profs were weekly DJs when it was active decades ago. Now, "House of Commons", "Magna Tabla", "Amity", "AGM or Exco meetings of the Club happen at cool room, so as society meetings like Old students, Ijesha Parapo, birthday parties, etc. So, all those indulge in "sex" at those meetings or occassons? Haba!!!!
(5) The stupid fellow talking thrash to impress the lady is not even a known member. If at all a financial member, he has not been to Club in the last 4 years.
(6) Why should a whole system and its people suffer because of "attempted immorality" on account of "illegality" of extorting evidence by covert means? At a time the current regime is restoring our global ranking !!!
(7) Why would a decent media use images of a Dean, Liberian, Unilag management and others to "spice-up" it's intended sensationalisation by an award-pursing journalist?
(cool With due respect my Dean, my understanding of evidence is proof or disproof of a fact. The standard of proof may be beyond reasonable doubt or balance of probability. Credible evidence is still required. Not suspicion or assumption or mere inferences. Sex-for-Mark is remote in both the University of Ghana and Unilag context.
(9) It is in our collective interest to disaggregate issues. Better for Igbinehu to pay for his sins than to rubbish the certificates of past and current students and stigmatize everyone, particularly lecturers.
(10) A calm review of the entire documentary will also show that there is no evidence that sexuality is taking place in the Cool Room from the full documentary. There is nothing untowards in having adult ladies at a birthday party. That the party was to celebrate a birthday reinforces that the room is more of a function room. What is wrong with inviting adult male and female (students or staff) to a birthday party? There was nothing in the video showing anyone playing with breasts as Igbinebu had alleged.
For me, like countless others, we're becoming increasingly very vulnerable. This is beyond Igbinehu, but about Unilag, its past, present and future.

All UNILAG Male Lecturers have become an endangered specie in this regard. As a UNILAG staff I have received uncountable unsolicited phone calls,social media tags, sms,jabs and smearing jokes from friends and family over this BBC' sensational sex for grade video..The public perception about us has become stereotypical there is no iota of evidence in the video I watched that suggests Sex for Grades but mere acts of immorality unexpected of our Pedigree. It is condemnable I join my lone voice and strongly refuse to be tagged a sex for grade lecturer.

I share the sentiments and resentment of our academic colleagues on the BBC snappers. But remember that according to Yoruba parlance “Eru kan ni muni bu igba eru”. Only one slave’s misdemeanor makes us condemn several slaves! In whatever we do let’s try to be above board. Both academic and administrative staff stands in loco parentis to the students. I sympathize with the affected lecturer for his indiscretion.

God bless-Y.O.
Re: Immorality Vs Illegality- A Case Of Imaginary "Sex-for-grades by immortalcrown(m): 9:29am On Oct 09, 2019
Not all legal actions are right, and not all illegal actions are wrong. That something is legal simply means it is contained in constitution and or approved by law. That does not mean that whatever is not in the constitution is wrong. Is it in the constitution that I should give money to poor beggars? Or, it wrong for me to give money to the beggars?

BBC's action, regarding the issue at hand, will be considered wrong, if it is later discovered that BBC has a bad intention for the broadcast. But if BBC's concern is to curb sexual harassment, your statement is not sound.

(1) (Reply)

Case Management Software / Trader In Court For Stealing Weave News / Photo Of 3 Health Workers Arrested For Indiscriminate Dumping Of Medical Waste

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.