Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,928 members, 7,828,216 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish (16258 Views)

Irene Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's 'Things Fall Apart' To Irish / Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by oglalasioux(m): 4:49pm On Oct 09, 2019
That book has been translated into several languages including French, Italian and even Japanese. This topic makes it look like it's the first time of its translation into another language.
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by grandstar(m): 4:57pm On Oct 09, 2019
budaatum:

According to the 2016 Irish Census, 73,803 people speak Irish in Ireland (this does not include speakers in Northern Ireland). Yet, they still bother. What intelligent forward looking people the Irish must be.

Thanks for this data. It is not they but just one woman, a novelist. Such little steps may help revive the language.

Do you live in Ireland?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by Fahrenheit10(m): 4:58pm On Oct 09, 2019
jerryunit48:
Wow ! Wonderful, for those of us who don’t know , someone who knows should clarify us , Irish is not English, but does it sound like English?
Ireland speak English they are the real life westeros, they refused to be member of the UK, the speak the same type of English with England but different tone Scotland have more bass and rough, England is loud and easy while Ireland draw it English if you watch English movie like harlot, game of thrones you will notice it while for Ireland Becky Lynch or Derry girls series

2 Likes

Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by johnmattew: 4:59pm On Oct 09, 2019
midnighter:

That's due to oppression though, recently they have been trying to revive their languages in schools and among the younger generations
yes....all their products and sign boards contains their traditional language and English..this is what we failed to do in Nigeria.. Kenyans and south Africans have prioritize their native. . languages

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by budaatum: 5:01pm On Oct 09, 2019
grandstar:

Thanks for this data. It is not they but just one woman, a novelist. Such little steps may help revive the language.

Do you live in Ireland?
No. London.

1 Like

Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by Jaqenhghar: 5:01pm On Oct 09, 2019
midnighter:

In English, it's called "Irish" and in Irish, it's called "Gaelic"
In which English. Maybe Niggerian English where black mail means slander. FYI Gaelic is not peculiar to Ireland alone. Its also spoken in parts of Scotland and even France
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by grandstar(m): 5:08pm On Oct 09, 2019
budaatum:

No. London.

London is cool.

Is there anyway I can get a VAT number without being a resident? I want to pay for something and they request I need a VAT number
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by midnighter(f): 5:11pm On Oct 09, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

In which English. Maybe Niggerian English where black mail means slander. FYI Gaelic is not peculiar to Ireland alone. Its also spoken in parts of Scotland and even France

Like, in English it's called "French" and in French, it's called "Francais"

In English it's called "German" and in German its called "Deutsch"

And I know those things, they have nothing to do with your original comment

1 Like

Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by budaatum: 5:12pm On Oct 09, 2019
grandstar:

London is cool.

Is there anyway I can get a VAT number without being a resident? I want to pay for something and they request I need a VAT number

How to register for VAT
Most businesses can register online - including partnerships and a group of companies registering under one VAT number.

By doing this you’ll register for VAT and create a VAT online account (sometimes known as a ‘Government Gateway account’). You need this to submit your VAT Returns to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

https://www.gov.uk/vat-registration/how-to-register

You should only pay vat if you are buying in UK
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by midnighter(f): 5:16pm On Oct 09, 2019
johnmattew:
yes....all their products and sign boards contains their traditional language and English..this is what we failed to do in Nigeria.. Kenyans and south Africans have prioritize their native. . languages

Yeah...we should start doing that. It would be very difficult though since even people in the same local government may speak a different dialect
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 09, 2019
In reality Irish don't speak Gaelic at all and the book translation has nothing to do with Irish people.
It's just one random novelist doing the translation.
In Ireland Nigerians are seen as either Irish nationals or refugees.
There's at least 17k Nigerians in Ireland consisting of Igbos and Yoruba.
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by grandstar(m): 5:20pm On Oct 09, 2019
budaatum:

How to register for VAT
Most businesses can register online - including partnerships and a group of companies registering under one VAT number.

By doing this you’ll register for VAT and create a VAT online account (sometimes known as a ‘Government Gateway account’). You need this to submit your VAT Returns to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

https://www.gov.uk/vat-registration/how-to-register

You should only pay vat if you are buying in UK

Thanks
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 09, 2019
i hv been seeing this "igbo amaka" on nairaland for so long but i still hvnt knwn what it mean pls can somebody explain it to me
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by sharon002: 5:29pm On Oct 09, 2019
WELCOME TO FOREST LEGEND EARNERS INVESTMENT THIS IS HOW WE WORK�������
Forest legend earners investment is a legit and trusted platform that is well created for the benefit of every Nigerians in which you invest and get back your investment with the interest of 60% in three days with out stress of cash or delay

HOW WE GENERATE OUR
❤️INCOME ❤️
WE generate our source of revenue by lending and trading in foreign countries, buying of bitcoins, � Import and Export of Agro Alied Products �Crypto Trading � Buying and Selling of Chemical products AND getting back our investments in two days that enable us pay investors in three days without any delay or stress in cash out..

HOW FOREST LEGEND EARNERS WORKS

*⏩MINIMUM=10K*
*⏩MAXIMUM=500K*

✅10k = ₦16,000 *(₦6,000 profit)*
✅20k = ₦32,000 *(₦12,000 profit)*
✅50k = ₦80,000 *(₦30,000 profit)*
✅100k = ₦160,000 *(₦60,000 profit)*
✅150k = ₦240,000 *(₦90,000 profit)* ?
✅200k = ₦320,000 *(₦120,000 profit)*
✅250k = ₦400,000 *(₦150,000 profit)*
✅300k = ₦480,000 *(₦180,000 profit)*
✅350k = ₦560,000 *(₦210,000 profit)*
✅400k = ₦640,000 *(₦240,000 profit)*
✅450k = ₦720,000 *(₦270,000 profit)*
✅500k = ₦800,000 *(₦300,000 profit)*
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by sugarboy212(m): 5:53pm On Oct 09, 2019
This ur meme too funny,lmao.
aylive02:
tongue
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by Brownhypo: 6:19pm On Oct 09, 2019
Kellibae:
Igbo amaka,
Mr ACHEBE...some Yorubas said u are no good.
That ur book is always "full of hate"
Then i was like what.. Hate must have a different meaning in yoruba land.

But here is an Irish woman appreciating ur work to the extent of translation it in her language.
Chinua Achebe u are dead but ur incomparable works still speak for u.
U are the best Nigerian writer and one of the best in African.
#RESTonLEGEND
Must you show yourself ?
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by Nobody: 6:24pm On Oct 09, 2019
aminu114:
i hv been seeing this "igbo amaka" on nairaland for so long but i still hvnt knwn what it mean pls can somebody explain it to me
Igbo amaka = Igbo is beautiful

2 Likes

Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by MetaPhysical: 6:28pm On Oct 09, 2019
immhotep:

Awon kaliphate venerators are not happy grin

Cc lzaa gmbuharii afamed metaphysical

Shyyyte!!

Irene stole my idea. Ive been thinking of translating to Yoruba so Lagos Igbos that cant read Ibo can read in Yoruba to underatand their people.

Well, i can still do it. After that i will translate to Hausa for Arewa Igbo.

I must cut my own profit from this racket. grin grin
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by calliope(f): 6:30pm On Oct 09, 2019
KingAzubuike:
Achebe was a greater man than Soyinka. The latter can only dream of Achebe's achievement.
Was this necessary? undecided
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 09, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Shyyyte!!

Irene stole my idea. Ive been thinking of translating to Yoruba so Lagos Igbos that cant read Ibo can read in Yoruba to underatand their people.

Well, i can still do it. After that i will translate to Hausa for Arewa Igbo.

I must cut my own profit from this racket. grin grin
E je ka gbadura fun Lagos, ikpinle wa grin

Cc lzaa gmbuharii afamed adaibeku

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by Davidzy23(m): 6:54pm On Oct 09, 2019
Turning and turning in the widening gyre The falcon cannot hear the falconer
Things fall apart the center cannot hold
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the wall....

Oh.. that book gives me joy.. can read it over and over again.. Chinua d great man...
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by grandstar(m): 7:37pm On Oct 09, 2019
Menance:
Nigeria's greatest writer

It is between Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe

Wole Soyinka is a wordsmith while Achebe is a master storyteller

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by BULLIONVAN4(m): 8:39pm On Oct 09, 2019
aminu114:
Amaka= good/beautiful. then combine(igbo amaka) together you'll have "Igbo is good/beautiful". as in God Is Good= chi amaka.
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by Jaqenhghar: 9:07pm On Oct 09, 2019
midnighter:

Like, in English it's called "French" and in French, it's called "Francais"

In English it's called "German" and in German its called "Deutsch"

And I know those things, they have nothing to do with your original comment
Yeah right. You will tell us Indians speak Indian .and Chinese speak chinese and Nigerians speak Nigerian
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by divinevie(m): 9:18pm On Oct 09, 2019
VillageHead:
Which translation again?

Irish people no oyibo dem dey speak?
try listen to ENYA songs....
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by desmond2pk: 9:35pm On Oct 09, 2019
Meanwhile, soyinka ....
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 09, 2019
desmond2pk:
Meanwhile, soyinka ....

Soyinka is a rascal.
He is more of politics while Achebe remains true to his pen.

1 Like

Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by gwafaeziokwu: 10:22pm On Oct 09, 2019
Let's find out those that have read things fall apart. Drop your favourite line or proverbs. Mine include.

"Eneke the bird said that since the Hunter has learnt to shoot without aiming, it has chosen fly without perching."

" The white man is wise, he came to us with his religion and we laughed at his foolishness. Now he has converted our Brothers and our clan could no longer act as one. He has put a knife on the strings that held us together and things has fallen apart"

grin grin
I know I didn't get the exact wordings. So literary gurus should not attack me please.

1 Like

Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by Kennyswagz1(m): 10:32pm On Oct 09, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Soyinka is a rascal.

He is more of politics while Achebe remains true to his pen.
But he won the most prestigious literary award.. THE NOBEL PRIZE
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by midnighter(f): 10:40pm On Oct 09, 2019
gwafaeziokwu:
Let's find out those that have read things fall apart.

Lol you're making me feel like reading it all over again. I cant even remember how many times ive read it

I dont have a quote but I liked the part when the village Oracle summoned Ezimma and the priestess came and carried her on her back..and Ekwefi was so scared to lose her only child that she followed them to the shrine...only to bump into Okonkwo, who had also been worried

It showed the softer side of Okonkwo, even though his stubbornness later led to his demise

1 Like

Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by gwafaeziokwu: 11:35pm On Oct 09, 2019
midnighter:

Lol you're making me feel like reading it all over again. I cant even remember how many times ive read it

I dont have a quote but I liked the part when the village Oracle summoned Ezimma and the priestess came and carried her on her back..and Ekwefi was so scared to lose her only child that she followed them to the shrine...only to bump into Okonkwo, who had also been worried

It showed the softer side of Okonkwo, even though his stubbornness later led to his demise

Lol. Okonkwo character projected Achebe as the master story teller. You feel as if you've seen Okonkwo and interacted with him at some point. You hate him for killing Ikemefuna,yet feel pity for him when he lost all the prestige and recognition he laboured for after the unintentional killing of that young man during burial. You hate the bully he was yet love the warrior in him as he challenges the invasion of our culture by the white missionaries. All his life he tried his best to say "yes to his chi" but his chi simply said "no" as he couldn't even receive a burial worthy of a man of his status because he committed suicide. Obierika's out burst to the white man as his friend's body dangle from the tree captured it all.
Re: Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish by bibe(m): 2:15am On Oct 10, 2019
VillageHead:
Which translation again?

Irish people no oyibo dem dey speak?

No, they speak Gaelic. Same with Scottish people but these days English had become the predominant language though the Irish and Scots are trying to bring back Gaelic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"The Love Triangle" - A Short Christian Love Story By Oyekunle Lizzy Oyebola / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Celebrates Her 46th Birthday Today / Memoir Of An Ordinary Black Girl (iWrite)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.