Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,613 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:14 PM

Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS (11855 Views)

Ooni Promises To Build Multi-Million Naira Chemotherapy Centre / Doctor Linda Ayade Performs Surgeries On Sick Patients. Photos / Okeoghene Edigba Died In Benin Hospital Collapsed After Performing 4 Surgeries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by BrandSpurNG: 11:57am On Oct 11, 2019
The Executive Secretary, National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS), Prof Mohammed Sambo had stated some levels of cancer surgeries and chemotherapy are now covered under the Scheme. Prof Sambo made this known while receiving the First Lady of Kebbi State, Dr Zainab Shinkafi-Bagudu, who was on a working visit to NHIS head office in Abuja Wednesday. He expressed concern about the high prevalence of cancer, noting that NHIS will continue to explore ways of working with public-spirited organisations and individuals to increase support to cancer patients.

He expressed delight that the Scheme seized the opportunity to review its operational guidelines in 2012 to remove cancer from the exclusion list of its benefits package.

The ES said, innovative healthcare financing will open up resources for effective support for patients with capital-intensive conditions, such as cancer.

He however called on governmental and non-governmental organisations involved in creating awareness about cancer and building support for cancer patients to intensify advocacy to the appropriate authorities and institutions, for the institutionalisation of innovative healthcare financing, such as special taxes on smoking and telecommunication, with proceeds dedicated to funding healthcare for the vulnerable among us, as well as cancer patients. Prof Sambo commended Dr Shinkafi-Bagudu, who is also the founder of Medicaid Cancer Foundation, for the enormous work she has done selflessly and tirelessly over the years, by pushing so hard to help in taming the scourge of cancer while expressing the commitment of NIHS to work with the First Lady and her Foundation  to ensure that cancer does not subdue humanity in our environment.

Dr Shinkafi-Bagudu requested the support of NHIS in the various activities of the Foundation in the areas of creating awareness, cancer screening, support for victims and advocacy. She expressed regret that most patients of cancer do not have the economic capacity to help themselves, which is the challenge we must all accept and rise up to confront, noting that together we can do much.

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2019/10/11/cancer-surgeries-chemotherapy-now-covered-by-nhis/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Georgry(m): 6:06am On Oct 13, 2019
My FTC on Nairaland after like 6 years happens to be on a thread I'm not interested in..

Modified :
@stc I don't want the FTC let's just assume you gat it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by dalass(f): 6:07am On Oct 13, 2019
Good news grin

FTC stolen angry

Anyways. STC grin grin

1 Like

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Worldbest281: 6:07am On Oct 13, 2019
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by yusufu16: 6:07am On Oct 13, 2019
Good Development

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by darthv: 6:07am On Oct 13, 2019
Cancer a very deadly disease.
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Histrings08(m): 6:08am On Oct 13, 2019
Hmm
Wonderful development..
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Odunolumide(m): 6:08am On Oct 13, 2019
pls can someone educate me on how effective this NHIS stuff is ? I hope when you need them it won't be like normal Nigeria palava ?

6 Likes

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by helinues: 6:08am On Oct 13, 2019
In English please?
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Prettyvita(f): 6:09am On Oct 13, 2019
This is actually laudable!
Nice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by tfelicityk(m): 6:12am On Oct 13, 2019
Good news

The HMOs should take note now.

6 Likes

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by oracle009(m): 6:13am On Oct 13, 2019
Odunolumide:
pls can someone educate me on how effective this NHIS stuff is ? I hope when you need them it won't be like normal Nigeria palava ?

It's effective. Last week, a friend who had spent over 1month in FMC Abeokuta got discharged with a bill of 9,700 naira only. We were expecting a bill not less than 100k.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by dominique(f): 6:16am On Oct 13, 2019
I need to get a plan asap, I've been procrastinating for too long

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by olisaEze(m): 6:17am On Oct 13, 2019
Very welcome development. But the scheme should be extended to non salary earners as our unemployment rate seems to be on the increase with each subsequent administration. Nice one from NHIS.

8 Likes

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by ReeLoaDead(m): 6:20am On Oct 13, 2019
Georgry:
My FTC on Nairaland after like 6 years happens to be on a thread I'm not interested in..

Modified :
Congrats bro!
Don’t forget to collect your tin of fish from mods ... FTC prize

1 Like

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Odunolumide(m): 6:22am On Oct 13, 2019
oracle009:

It's effective. Last week, a friend who had spent over 1month in FMC Abeokuta got discharged with a bill of 9,700 naira only. We were expecting a bill not less than 100k.

OK

and the paper work is easy too?
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by dadadoc: 6:24am On Oct 13, 2019
Georgry:

Modified :

Common,not interested in? As deadly as this is and the series of tears cancer has left behind?..

Nice one from the NHIS..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Lexusgs430: 6:26am On Oct 13, 2019
NHIS....... It's a good and bad policy...... Just like marmite...... cheesy
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by vision2050: 6:34am On Oct 13, 2019
How do I go about the Registration?

1 Like

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by alphaNomega: 7:03am On Oct 13, 2019
One day I will truly understand this NHIS
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by jboixxx: 7:04am On Oct 13, 2019
oracle009:

Bros, 1month on admission and paid just 10,000 It is effective truly but this your post is ....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by jboixxx: 7:08am On Oct 13, 2019
alphaNomega:
One day I will truly understand this NHIS
It's health insurance policy where you pay only 10% of your medical bills at any accredited NHIS hospitals if you're a subscriber (Fed government employee or private).

Check here for the FAQs

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by frozen70g(f): 7:10am On Oct 13, 2019
Odunolumide:

Based on my own experience, register with a hospital, when you get the card take it to the hospital you submitted during registration, activate it.

Anytime you are sick take it to the hospital you registered

Expensive drugs are not covered by it, but the cheaper ones are, blood test is covered by it but operation is not covered by it
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by oracle009(m): 7:12am On Oct 13, 2019
jboixxx:

Bros, 1month on admission and paid just 10,000 It is effective truly but this your post is ....

Was suprised also... that doesn't include the drugs and co... the 9k+ covers admission, oxygen and d likes
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by jboixxx: 7:20am On Oct 13, 2019
vision2050:
How do I go about the Registration?
All Fed employees are on it by default... don't know if states are by law inclusive but private institutions must approach any preferred HMO for registration.
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by jboixxx: 7:22am On Oct 13, 2019
oracle009:

Was suprised also... that doesn't include the drugs and co... the 9k+ covers admission, oxygen and d likes
Now, you've given more details cuz you can pay as much as 1000 for malaria drugs alone as out-patient "consultee", let alone someone on 1 month admission.
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by gwatanayoel: 7:36am On Oct 13, 2019
Nice one[i][/i][b][/b][color=#000099][/color]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 13, 2019
Odunolumide:

It's relatively good. Though you might not get all the drugs you want (the alternative PHIS has more coverage though)...and some proccedures are not fully covered (eg if you are a kidney patient on constant dialysis, NHIS covers 6 sessions per year...the rest you pay for).
Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by cachiskky(f): 7:40am On Oct 13, 2019
olisaEze:
Very welcome development. But the scheme should be extended to non salary earners as our unemployment rate seems to be on the increase with each subsequent administration. Nice one from NHIS.

The scheme is opened to everyone. The difference is that civil servants, military and Para-military etc and their family members are covered by the government while private citizens pay 15k yearly to enjoy same benefits

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by Lanre4uonly(m): 7:44am On Oct 13, 2019
This is a good development.
My thoughts and prayers are with cancer patients.

1 Like

Re: Cancer Surgeries, Chemotherapy Now Covered By NHIS by SlimBrawnie(f): 7:45am On Oct 13, 2019
frozen70g:

Based on my own experience, register with a hospital, when you get the card take it to the hospital you submitted during registration, activate it.

Anytime you are sick take it to the hospital you registered

Expensive drugs are not covered by it, but the cheaper ones are, blood test is covered by it but operation is not covered by it
Operations are covered by it. A friend removed a lump from her breast via NHIS and I had my CS via NHIS, the hospital charges 500k for CS but patients will only end up paying 50k. So it covers some operations, pending on your package.

Its just 15k to register and you are covered for a year, paying only 10% of all medical expenses within the period of that one year.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Question: How Can Moringa Help You Lose Weight? / 6 World’s Craziest And Most Extreme Bodybuilders [pics] / The Worst Sickness You Ever Had?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.