Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,296 members, 7,836,295 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada (76789 Views)

My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park / My Weird & Creepy Experience At Erin Ijesha Waterfalls / Photos From My Christmas Experience At Udo Udoma Park In Uyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by alexola20(m): 9:32am On Jan 03, 2020
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by drnoel: 9:50am On Jan 03, 2020
Anyways there is no playbook to identify who is good or bad. Being good or bad is not gender or racial or ethnic related, anyone thinking so is just being plain rascist, ethnophobic or sexist.
There are just do's and don'ts, nothing more. Noone knows it all but we all have to learn to read our surroundings and make a clear decision how to handle each situation as it presents itself.
Cheers
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Gaba10: 2:40pm On Jan 03, 2020
It is true because I have traveled around the world and I presently live in Canada, have been back and forth for over 20 years.
I can boldly tell you that...

Hadampson:

That's not true. You can't generalize based on what OP posted.

Every country has the good and bad people.

The problem we have is that we tend to see the whites as superior. Anything they do is good but if a black man should do the same, we can term it to something else.

Let's change for good please. This is a new year.
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Nowenuse: 2:57pm On Jan 03, 2020
shankie:
pls I will like to chart with u personally, I don't knw how to reach u, but u can pls reply me here or reach me on zero eight zero six zero two three six two five zero

I have replied your pm
Mbenny:
please i will like to get some info from you

Send a pm
ccollins:
please, how did you secure the job

Send a pm
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by ccollins(m): 5:35pm On Jan 03, 2020
Nowenuse:

Send a pm
my email is incorrect, please text me on collins4reall@gmail.com
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Nowenuse: 7:24pm On Jan 03, 2020
ccollins:
my email is incorrect, please text me on collins4reall@gmail.com

What u are saying does not add up. You can Pm someone directly from nairaland and I reply u with same email with which u pm me.
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by ccollins(m): 9:23am On Jan 04, 2020
Nowenuse:

What u are saying does not add up. You can Pm someone directly from nairaland and I reply u with same email with which u pm me.
you do not understand, my pm has a wrong email address in it
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Mbenny(m): 12:49pm On Jan 04, 2020
Nowenuse:

Send a pm
hello, i tried sending you pm but you need to approve me according to nairaland because we are not connected.
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Nowenuse: 6:56pm On Jan 04, 2020
ccollins:
you do not understand, my pm has a wrong email address in it

I have replied your pm and sent u another mail to your email at the same time.
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Nowenuse: 6:56pm On Jan 04, 2020
Mbenny:
hello, i tried sending you pm but you need to approve me according to nairaland because we are not connected.

I have just replied your pm.
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by ccollins(m): 7:25pm On Jan 04, 2020
Nowenuse:

I have replied your pm and sent u another mail to your email at the same time.
got the email now ,I have sent a reply
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by TheCongo2: 10:35am On Jan 05, 2020
Gaba10:
It is true because I have traveled around the world and I presently live in Canada, have been back and forth for over 20 years.
I can boldly tell you that...

To each his own ...to you Canadians are the nicest people on earth. We have difference experiences and expectations of Canada

Most people who are familiar with the notion of subtle racism will tell you that white Canadians are racist. They are expert in fake smile.

By the way, you say you have been back and forth for 20 years. My understanding is that you don't live or work permanently in Canada. Therefore, it is people like you who may not understand the racism minority in Canada go through in the corporate world. It is never a blatant racism. Thus, it can be difficult to detect until it is too late.

I know a Nigerian guy who had recently quit his job in Canada. I ask him why and his reply was "they made me feel so useless".
If I show him your post, he would completely disagree with you.

Then again, to each is own.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by TheCongo2: 11:19am On Jan 05, 2020
needful:
My Canada, peaceful land of milk and honey, the nicest people as far as north America is concerned. For those bad mouthing Canada on their work ethics, u need to go back to naija where ur colleagues cover up for u whenever u mess u p. As for canadian colleagues, u get reported at a slightest mistake and our naija doesnt feel good about it. That is their own work ethics, accept it or return to naija where una dey loathe with pen simple . As for me, am enjoying it and will still do because it simply make me a honest soul.

This is another form of racism black people go through in Canada.
It is okay for white people to bad mouth Canada. But, whenever a black person tries to do the same, he will be asked to leave or to go back to Africa.

How pathetic your post is especially if you are black. You are being a racist towards your own just like the black slaves who were known as House N.

But, I have got a word for you:
We are Canadian Citizens. We have all the rights and responsibilities of Canadian Citizens including the right to bad mouth Canada. You have no right to tell any of us to leave Canada.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Gaba10: 10:08pm On Jan 05, 2020
My brother, there is racism everywhere.
In South Africa they say it to your face and kill your brothers and sisters.. In the USA, they will say it to your face... In Canada here, nobody does that...
They may think about it but can't say it to your face because same sets of laws that protects them also protect people of colors...

Here people pay hefty price for using racial slur.

For your information, I live and work here, full citizen Canada and I am proud of this greatest country on earth...

My first daughter( 26 years old ) who was born here recently graduated from UBC( University of British Columbia.

My other daughters born in Nigeria and Ghana have automatic citizenship

Trust me, Canada is worth dying for...
Lots of jobs and opportunities
We Canadians are the nicest you will ever encounter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/28/sports/hockey/bill-peters-nhl-calgary-flames-coach-fired.html

The people here are the nicest...

TheCongo2:

To each his own ...to you Canadians are the nicest people on earth. We have difference experiences and expectations of Canada

Most people who are familiar with the notion of subtle racism will tell you that white Canadians are racist. They are expert in fake smile.

By the way, you say you have been back and forth for 20 years. My understanding is that you don't live or work permanently in Canada. Therefore, it is people like you who may not understand the racism minority in Canada go through in the corporate world. It is never a blatant racism. Thus, it can be difficult to detect until it is too late.

I know a Nigerian guy who had recently quit his job in Canada. I ask him why and his reply was "they made me feel so useless".

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/28/sports/hockey/bill-peters-nhl-calgary-flames-coach-fired.html

The people here are the nicest...

TheCongo2:

TheCongo2:

Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Gaba10: 10:11pm On Jan 05, 2020
TheCongo2:

[sup][/sup]
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Gaba10: 10:53pm On Jan 05, 2020
I feel so sad and sorry for so many of my brothers and sisters living in Africa, I mean living in the continent of Africa.
I wish the white men can return back for recolonization.
I will make sure I come with them this time around.
We will arrest and jail all the corrupt government officials who have looted the continent's wealth.

No light
No good road
Very few jobs
No security
No health care
No brother's keeper
Many of them don't even know what love is
Sad sad sad..

Fela is my idol
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by salford1: 10:54pm On Jan 05, 2020
Gaba10:
.. In the USA, they will say it to your face... In Canada here, nobody does that...

They say it to your face here too, from coast to coast. There are tons of video and reports all over google. While some get reported in the media, most don't - you know the tradition of Canadians being hush hush...like we are good people just as in your post suggests like such doesn't exist.lol.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Gaba10: 11:18pm On Jan 05, 2020
Lol. So tell me is that you?
Like I said in my post, when a person discriminates against another or used racial slur, there are sever consequences.
That person will surely pay a hefty price, which I mentioned in my posts.
Now tell, is that you? If so, what action did you take? Did you talk or see a lawyer about it?
If it's a friend, I need to know because time is not on his side because that article is dated 2016, if you know what I mean.

Even a Calgary hockey coach who used racial slur against a black player over 10 years ago recently lost his high paying job and may have settled out of court.

salford1:

They say it to your face here from coast to coast im Canada too, every now and then. There are tons of video and reports all over google. While some get reported in the media, most don't - you know the tradition of Canadians being hush hush...we are good people, instead of speaking out and saying it as it is. lol.
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by salford1: 11:21pm On Jan 05, 2020
Gaba10:
Lol. So tell me is that you?
Like I said in my post, when a person discriminates against another or used racial slur, there are sever consequences.
That person will surely pay a hefty price, which I mentioned in my posts.
Now tell, is that you? If so, what action did you take? Did you talk or see a lawyer about it?
If it's a friend, I need to know because time is not on his side because that article is dated 2016, if you know what I mean.

Even a Calgary hockey coach who used racial slur against a black player over 10 years ago recently lost his high paying job and may have settled out of court.

Nope. Okay tell me why the woman reported in the news below did not suffer severe consequence as you stated?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/canada/2018/8/21/1_4061392.html

Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Gaba10: 11:25pm On Jan 05, 2020
Things work fine here.
Here when someone wrongs you, there are places you can go for recourse.
Again, if you read my post, I said that the same sets of laws that protect them also protect people of color.

Maybe you couldn't comprehend that part.
You must know the law and know your right, and also know when you are right.

TheCongo2:

Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by salford1: 11:27pm On Jan 05, 2020
The hockey coach lost his job as he was in a position of authority, you know Just like Trudeau apologized for blackface brown face.

Remember the host of hockey night Canada - Don Cherry that is. Did he apologize for his sublet racism on live tv?He got fired but expressed no regrets.

Racists do get fired in the US too if caught and in a position of authority. So what is your point exactly?

You said they don't say it to your face in Canada, I posted a link to debunk that.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Gaba10: 11:34pm On Jan 05, 2020
You see, I will tell you something: if she apologizes, she may think she maybe admitting guilt or faulty.
However, that is not entirely true because Apology Act, 2009, S.O. 2009,chapter 3. may protect her...
I cannot go into that in details. You can go online and read it.

She make think it is a 50:50 chance you person may take her to court due to legal fee, the cost of hiring a lawyer but she can still be prosecuted by the crown.

Men.... know your right
Gaba10:

[sup][/sup]
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by salford1: 11:40pm On Jan 05, 2020
Gaba10:
You see, I will tell you something: if she apologizes, she may think she maybe admitting guilt or faulty.
However, that is not entirely true because Apology Act, 2009, S.O. 2009,chapter 3. may protect her...
I cannot go into that in details. You can go online and read it.

She make think it is a 50:50 chance you person may take her to court due to legal fee, the cost of hiring a lawyer but she can still be prosecuted by the crown.

Men.... know your right
Of course we know our rights.
Just debunking your claims of projecting Canada as that perfect country full of very nice people everywhere you go. cheesy

Gaba10:

In addition, as per the hockey coach, there was no court involved as well - I may be wrong but I can't find any proof of that. I know he apologized and moved on. Probably now retired as a millionaire.

I live in the prairie. Do you know a lot of people here did not see anything wrong in the coach using the N word against Aliyu. They said oh it was 10 years ago.
Some said, it's a sport event, Aliyu should have suck it up. They called Aliyu a snowflake getting hurt by the word of a sport coach.

Same for don cherry- alot of people felt he did not need to apologize for his comments. Same for Trudeau's black face, alot of people did not see his actions as racist and even faulted him for apologizing.

Canadians are very good when it comes to denying racism, especially the subtle ones. I am naturally a Conservative having lived in Alberta and still living in Saskatchewan, but I voted Liberal in the last election. (Atleast the Liberal accepts that there is a lot of work that needs to be done in terms of discrimination). I was probably the only person in my work place that voted Liberal in the last election. That should tell you something - I saw through the pretence of my subtle racist co-workers.
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by TheCongo2: 11:49pm On Jan 05, 2020
salford1:

Nope. Okay tell me why the woman reported in the news below did not suffer severe consequence as you stated?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/canada/2018/8/21/1_4061392.html

My brother, many people in Canada don't understand how the law against discrimination works.
As far as I know, it is not a crime to use a racist or racial slur unless it is done on a job site in which case the employer of the person using the racial slur will be made responsible.

That explains why that women reported in the link you provided can never be brought before the Canadian or her provincial Human Rights tribunal that are the tribunals dealing with racism in Canada.

Those tribunals only deal with racism cases of employment, landlords, businesses...
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by salford1: 11:53pm On Jan 05, 2020
TheCongo2:

My brother, many people in Canada don't understand how the law against discrimination works.
As far as I know, it is not a crime to use a racist or racial slur unless it is done on a job site in which case the employer of the person using the racial slur will be made responsible.

That explains why that women reported in the link you provided can never be brought before the Canadian or her provincial Human Rights tribunal that are the tribunals dealing with racism in Canada.

Those tribunals only deal with racism cases of employment, landlords, businesses...
I thought as much. I have read somewhere about how freedom of speech protects people that make racial slur, but I can't pinpoint exactly where. The article said something in the line of:

Depending on the situation, the use of racist slurs may not be illegal under the Criminal Code of Canada

Then when it comes to subtle racism, Canadians have perfected the act to an extent that it is often hard to notice, and when you do, it could be very hard to proof that they were actually racist in their actions. I am still learning.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Gaba10: 12:01am On Jan 06, 2020
There is nothing to debunk, I am simply stating the fact.
I never said Canada was perfect, I only said Canada has the nicest people in whole wide world.
I stand by that....
Again, I said NICEST, I never used the word friendliest....
You may be confused with both words.
This is my opinion, okay?
yours obviously is different from mine, so is everyone else's.
Okay. Good!

salford1:

Of course we know our rights.
Just debunking your claims of projecting Canada as that perfect country full of very nice people everywhere you go. cheesy

In addition, as per the hockey coach, there was no court involved as well - I may be wrong but I can't find any proof of that. I know he apologized and moved on. Probably now retired as a millionaire.

I live in the prairie. Do you know a lot of people here did not see anything wrong in the coach using the N word against Aliyu. They said oh it was 10 years ago.
Some said, it's a sport event, Aliyu should have suck it up. They called Aliyu a snowflake getting hurt by the word of a sport coach.

Same for don cherry- alot of people felt he did not need to apologize for his comments. Same for Trudeau's black face, alot of people did not see his actions as racist and even faulted him for apologizing.

Canadians are very good when it comes to denying racism, especially the subtle ones. I am naturally a Conservative having lived in Alberta and still living in Saskatchewan, but I voted Liberal in the last election. (Atleast the Liberal accepts that there is a lot of work that needs to be done in terms of discrimination). I was probably the only person in my work place that voted Liberal in the last election. That should tell you something - I saw through the pretence of my subtle racist co-workers.
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by salford1: 12:05am On Jan 06, 2020
Gaba10:
There is nothing to debunk, I am simply stating the fact.
I never said Canada was perfect, I only said Canada has the nicest people in whole wide world.
I stand by that....
Again, I said NICEST, I never used the word friendliest....
You may be confused with both words.
This is my opinion, okay?
yours obviously is different from mine, so is everyone else's.
Okay. Good!

Gaba10:
In South Africa they say it to your face and kill your brothers and sisters.. In the USA, they will say it to your face... In Canada here, nobody does that...
They may think about it but can't say it to your face
because same sets of laws that protects them also protect people of colors...

Here people pay hefty price for using racial slur.
But you mentioned the above. People that have never been to Canada can mis interprete that statement and maybe in for a ride awakening. Just as someone mentioned earlier that police do not carry guns in Canada.

I respect your opinion and was only trying to paint a clearer picture of what is obtainable to those that do not live here. Have a good night sir. smiley

3 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by Gaba10: 12:17am On Jan 06, 2020
Yes I said people pay hefty price when they do use racial slur.
A lot of people do not know their right and perhaps some may not even know where to go for recourse.
If you only know how many people who have lost their position in their place of work.
Others( companies) who have been sued for discrimination....

Many people are afraid to go to court especially does who are illegally immigrants, without a vilified permit.
You can try that with someone like me.

I once took the Dutch authorities to court for discrimination and I won

salford1:

But you mentioned the above.
Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by success10(m): 6:28pm On Jan 08, 2020
Nowenuse:

OMG! Please I need you and Salford1 to lecture me on this like ASAP. I already secured a job in Canada and will be moving over there to resume by next month. I really really need to know what you guys are trying to say.
More enlightenment for fellow compatriots pls
Please bro..
How did you applied or get the job?.
Help a brother.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: My Experience At A Restaurant In Canada by success10(m): 6:33pm On Jan 08, 2020
AkeNathan:

Please can you share a story with us that we may draw valuable lessons from it. ( workforce stories )

Some of us here have landed a job in Canada and will depart here for there in coming months.
Please bro...
How did you applied or get the job..
Kindly assist.
Thank you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerians Who Absconded After Traveling To Russia For World Cup, Cry Out. Photos / All About JOS The Sweet And Non Expensive Nigerian City! (exclusive Photos) / 5 Friends Die In A Car Accident While Retuning From Nightclub In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.