Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,814 members, 7,956,078 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:33 AM

Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? (4623 Views)

Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude / African Parents In Diaspora: How Do You Raise Your Children In African Way? / A Daughter Is A Daughter The Rest Of Her Life! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by MissIfe(f): 9:16am On Nov 07, 2010
I was just thinking, since I see many of us saying on marriage-related topics that "men who's wives can't cook should help with the cooking" or that "women can help their husbands to financially support the home during tough times". So, would you raise your children with that kind of mindset? What difference do you think should apply when raising a boy or a girl?

As for me, I'd like to teach all of my children -wether boy or girl - the same skills: cooking and taking care of the house, managing a budget, and of course sending them to school and university to get a decent and hopefully well paying job. That being said, I know that I will still raise the boys and girls differently, because as a woman I would not relate the same way to my sons and daughter, and they will also take exemple on what they see at home (my husband and I both work but he is the main provider while my own job gives me time to take care of the cooking/cleaning).

So what's your opinion?
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 07, 2010
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by iice(f): 6:52pm On Nov 08, 2010
chaircover:

Now back to boys and girls. I train them the same way so that they are able to adapt to any situation that they find themselves in life.

Gbam.
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by iaabc(f): 7:01pm On Nov 08, 2010
^^^^seconded.

The only thing I am against is "sending them to school and university to get a decent and hopefully well paying job". So not happening. I am and will continue to train them to be wealth creators in their own regard.
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by MissIfe(f): 8:39pm On Nov 08, 2010
iaabc:

The only thing I am against is "sending them to school and university to get a decent and hopefully well paying job". So not happening. I am and will continue to train them to be wealth creators in their own regard.

That's why I wrote "hopefully", this is what I believe is important, but they will make their own decisions too. I can't force them to go to university if they don't want to, and I won't. But there is no way I'm gonna make my children rely on someone else to take care of them, whether society, parents, husband or whoever else. They will have to find a way to be independent and self sufficient. As long as it's legal and they're happy with it, I'll respect their choices.

I know families where the boys are pushed to make money, get an appartment and so on, while the girls are pampered at home, waiting for their fiance to be ready to become a husband and take care of them. I believe that even if a woman wants to be a homemaker, she has to know a job/business too, so that in times of needs she can bring her own help to the family.

1 Like

Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by mutter(f): 9:23pm On Nov 08, 2010
Basically yes, but I still make some subtle exceptions.
I don`t let my girls carry up the heavy shopping, when I have boys and I send the boys to go with the girls, when it is getting dark.
There is also some advice specifically meant for boy and some meant for girls.
You can`really treat them totally the same because the society outside does not either so you have to equip them for that.
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by iaabc(f): 4:09pm On Nov 12, 2010
^^^i agree, you cant exactly train them the same way, but as much as possible. My son has to know how to do all the house chores as well as the girls and the girls have to be able to do all the traditionally male technical stuff
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by NAJALYN: 12:09am On Nov 15, 2010
Very nice thread. I am in favour of training girls & boys same way. They should all be able to cook, & do all the other chores in the house. Share the work for them all & ensure they do their duties. When they eventually get married, they will never experience any problem. They should also go to school up to university level, where possible. Where no funds to send them to university, encourage them to go into a good trade in order to raise money for their education. That way they may be able to go to school, even if it is part-time training. This is important. Education is what we parents can bequeath to our children. Give them every assistance they need to be self-sufficient in life & you would have played your role.
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by Blazay(m): 12:40pm On Nov 15, 2010
No.
By virtue of the fact that they are different genders, I have to raise them differently.
A man cannot be raised as a woman and vice versa.
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by MissIfe(f): 1:29pm On Nov 15, 2010
Blazay:

No.
By virtue of the fact that they are different genders, I have to raise them differently.
A man cannot be raised as a woman and vice versa.

Ah, finally someone disagreeing. I was starting to wonder what happened to the Nairalanders grin

I understand that if two children are different, you somehow have to raise them differently. For example, my daughter is a very quiet and well-behaved child, I just had to tell her once to do things and she does them now. She even learned to hang her coat in the entrance and off her shoes by looking at us, without us telling her to. If she cries or try to make a tantrum, talking to her is enough to calm her down.

Now, I know that not all kids behave like that, and it might not be so easy when I'll have a second child (be it a boy or a girl), because their personnalities will be different, I will have to adapt the way I raise them in order to get the same result. BUT I will be expecting the same result for boths (boy or girl).

Blazay, could you eplain to us how you think the genders are different and therefore should be raised differentely. What would you do, that would show this differene?
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by Blazay(m): 1:52pm On Nov 15, 2010
Miss_Ife:

Blazay, could you explain to us how you think the genders are different and therefore should be raised differentely. What would you do, that would show this differene?

Of course genders are different. Is this not obvious?
There are some general things you should teach all children regardless of their genders.
Then there are some things you should teach the different genders of children respectively.

1. Girls are different from boys because they are more emotionally vulnerable.
2. Boys are different from girls because they are more physical and predatory.

When I discuss certain things with my wife, I make her understand what she needs to teach our daughters. The need for self-confidence and the maintainance of a healthy self-esteem. More importantly, the need for self-respect. When it comes to our sons, the same rules apply but she would defer such matters to me since only a real man can raise a male child.

The most important thing to teach a male child is the respect for his mother. If he gets that in his head, he would make a good man for any woman and the world in general.

Unfortunately, most men do not respect the women they are married to, so I do not expect them to teach their sons a thing or two about life and human relationships.

Now, coming to girls. The first point of contact with a man for any little girl is her father. If this relationship is tarnished in anyway, she becomes damaged for life.
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by MissIfe(f): 1:57pm On Nov 15, 2010
Blazay:

My question was not innocent. Don't you think that maybe those differences are due to the way boys and girls were raised and not due to their gender? You can teach a girl to be emotionnally strong, and a boy to express his feelings, the question is would you do it?

Many studies show that the main differences between genders are due to different educations, for example, in a family with boys and girls, the girls will tend to have lower professionnal positions than their brothers and their female conterparts who were born in girls-only families. That shows how, subconsciously, parents put more pressure on the boys to be professionnally successful and accept easily that the girls could be less career oriented.
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by Blazay(m): 2:07pm On Nov 15, 2010
Miss_Ife:

My question was not innocent. Don't you think that maybe those differences are due to the way boys and girls were raised and not due to their gender? You can teach a girl to be emotionnally strong, and a boy to express his feelings, the question is would you do it?

Why not? What other options do we have?
But according to my value systems. You also have to look at each child individually by assessing his or her strenghts and weaknesses. Besides the gender factor, not just one size fits all. Some people choose to raise their daugthers to be submissive and their sons aggressive. You cannot question anyone's value systems no matter how outlandish or quaint. They are not your's or mine.
Many studies show that the main differences between genders are due to different educations, for example, in a family with boys and girls, the girls will tend to have lower professionnal positions than their brothers and their female conterparts who were born in girls-only families. That shows how, subconsciously, parents put more pressure on the boys to be professionnally successful and accept easily that the girls could be less career oriented.

I don't know where you are coming from but I will state this. All studies are baseless without a rudimentary course in basic Biology. If the girls tend to have lower professional positions than males it is because the societies they live in have placed such limitations. If parents choose to raise their children differently, then they may have different value systems.

If this is what you term 'education', then all's fair and square. Who are we to complain?

Bottom line.

You can only teach your children how to cope with life's challanges by developing healthy coping mechanisms regardless of what society or the world dishes out.

A female will always cope differently from a male. Basic biology.
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by MissIfe(f): 2:33pm On Nov 15, 2010
Oh, I am not denying the biological differences. I just feel that sometimes we qualify things as "biological difference" when it is just a social difference, taught through education and the society, and not from the genes.

I also agree with you that not just one size fits all. And it's also true that the kids are to be raised to cope with the life and society they will meet outside, as adults. But if we mean to change things, we also have to raise children differentely. I am not sure whether I want to "change things" myself, I live in the western world, and even if gender equality is not perfect, women have a lot of freedom and have pretty much as many choices as men about how to live their lives. I also can't tell or judge people's way of raising their children, since I believe most parents do their best according to their culture, experience and beliefs.

This topic was here only to discuss, not to consider my opinion better than others'. I've always believed that boys and girls should be raised the same way, that's how I've been raised myself, so I was merely trying to understand other people's opinions, and since you're the only one who has a different opinion wink

One thing I don't get is how you would raise a boy and a girl differently, what exactly would be different?
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by MissIfe(f): 2:37pm On Nov 15, 2010
If the girls tend to have lower professional positions than males it is because the societies they live in have placed such limitations. If parents choose to raise their children differently, then they may have different value systems.

Btw, the study I talked about was in one society alone (in a western country, though I don't remember which one, probably in Europe). It showed the difference between girls raised with brothers and girls raised with only sisters. And that those raised with brothers were holding lower professionnal positions than the ones with only sisters, as if in a family with boys and girls the differences were more emphasized than in a family with girls only. And biology has nothing to do here, since we are comparing girls to other girls wink
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by Blazay(m): 3:06pm On Nov 15, 2010
Miss_Ife:

This topic was here only to discuss, not to consider my opinion better than others'. I've always believed that boys and girls should be raised the same way, that's how I've been raised myself, so I was merely trying to understand other people's opinions, and since you're the only one who has a different opinion wink

One thing I don't get is how you would raise a boy and a girl differently, what exactly would be different?

Your opinion and to be respected. But this is a discussion and not a lecture.
So, I disagree. My opinion too. If you wanted all to agree with you, I doubt you would have started this thread.
I was not raised in the same way as my sisters. I was raised with more expectations required of me. To be more of a provider and less of a nurturer. My sisters were raised  more as nurturers and less as providers, so we can attract the right partners in life.

Fair to say wea re products of how we were raised, regardless of where you live in the world. Not a good or bad thing. Just a preference depending on how we were raised, what experiences we have and what works best.

My point? Girls and boys are not the same. You cannot raise them alike. Society expects a man to be a man and a women to be a woman. Less divorces and less single parents around the world.

Different stroke for different folk.

Miss_Ife:

Btw, the study I talked about was in one society alone (in a western country, though I don't remember which one, probably in Europe). It showed the difference between girls raised with brothers and girls raised with only sisters. And that those raised with brothers were holding lower professionnal positions than the ones with only sisters, as if in a family with boys and girls the differences were more emphasized than in a family with girls only. And biology has nothing to do here, since we are comparing girls to other girls wink

I think you have changed the original topic you started on this thread.
Read the title of your own thread.

Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way?

Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by Blazay(m): 3:24pm On Nov 15, 2010
Miss_Ife:

I was just thinking, since I see many of us saying on marriage-related topics that "men who's wives can't cook should help with the cooking" or that "women can help their husbands to financially support the home during tough times". So, would you raise your children with that kind of mindset? What difference do you think should apply when raising a boy or a girl?

As for me, I'd like to teach all of my children -wether boy or girl - the same skills: cooking and taking care of the house, managing a budget, and of course sending them to school and university to get a decent and hopefully well paying job.

That being said, I know that I will still raise the boys and girls differently, because as a woman I would not relate the same way to my sons and daughter, and they will also take exemple on what they see at home

(my husband and I both work but he is the main provider while my own job gives me time to take care of the cooking/cleaning).

So what's your opinion?

So? Which is it?

cheesy

From your own fingers.

Erm? You are not a very detailed thread hostess. Please, pay attention to what you are writing.
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by MissIfe(f): 5:38pm On Nov 15, 2010
eheh, maybe I don't express myself very well in english (not my native language) wink

when I said that I would probably make difference between boys and girls, I meant without being totally conscious about it. I don't have brothers and all of my close friends are girls, I am a very "girly" girl if I may say. Actually, when I think about it, the only man I really know is my husband. So I cannot know how I would behave if I had a son, in theory, I want to give him the same education as my daughter, but I might do differently without even noticing it. does that make sense?

I am very happy that you disagree and that you feel free to express your opinion. this is not a right/wrong topic, and I am not trying to convince anybody, as I don't feel that my opinion is better than yours or anybody's. I know why I think that way, that doesn't mean that your own opinion doesn't make sense. Actually, what you said here

Society expects a man to be a man and a women to be a woman. Less divorces and less single parents around the world.

got me thinking. I do believe too that a long term relationship such as marriage is easier if the two members of the couple have a clear idea about what is their responsibility/role in the relationship and the family. Does that mean that it can't work if there is no such thing as a defined "man's role" and "woman's role"?divorce statistics in the western world might say so, most of my wester female friends believe otherwise grin

as for the study I was talking about it was just to prove my point that women would behave differently depending on the way they were raised, and so that it is not a question of "natural" differences, but also of education.

Your point of view is very interesting anyway, please I hope I am not offending you in any way by asking you so many questions, this is really a peaceful talk for me smiley
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by GL(f): 6:36pm On Nov 15, 2010
i would raise them the same way, i.e. give them the same kinds of duties, and have the same level of expectations. of course, this would have to be tailored to their personalities.

with regards to age though, i guess i would raise them differently. i don't expect a young child to handle the same types of responsibilities as his/her older siblings.

Blazay:

Of course genders are different. Is this not obvious?
There are some general things you should teach all children regardless of their genders.
Then there are some things you should teach the different genders of children respectively.

When I discuss certain things with my wife, I make her understand what she needs to teach our daughters. The need for self-confidence and the maintainance of a healthy self-esteem. More importantly, the need for self-respect. When it comes to our sons, the same rules apply but she would defer such matters to me since only a real man can raise a male child.

The most important thing to teach a male child is the respect for his mother. If he gets that in his head, he would make a good man for any woman and the world in general.

Unfortunately, most men do not respect the women they are married to, so I do not expect them to teach their sons a thing or two about life and human relationships.

Now, coming to girls. The first point of contact with a man for any little girl is her father. If this relationship is tarnished in anyway, she becomes damaged for life.

these distinctions in roles and attitudes of each gender are mostly based on the society/family. not all girls are emotional and not all boys are predatory; these aren't entirely inherent traits, they have a lot to do with the upbringing. so for those who would like their daughters to be emotionally strong, and their sons to not be predatory, it's best not to pass those ideas to the kids at such young ages.

about only a real man being able to raise a male child, i beg to differ. i know several guys who were raised by single mothers for various reasons. and about a girl being damaged for life if her relationship with her father is tarnished, it's not a rule. while it does seem that way for some girls, many girls grow up fine in such situations.

kids learn so much from other sources than their families from their pre-teen ages. though the tendency is for kids to follow after the parent of the same sex, there are many kids who grow up to hate certain traits of their parents.
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by Blazay(m): 8:08pm On Nov 15, 2010
Miss_Ife:

eheh, maybe I don't express myself very well in english (not my native language) wink

when I said that I would probably make difference between boys and girls, I meant without being totally conscious about it. I don't have brothers and all of my close friends are girls, I am a very "girly" girl if I may say. Actually, when I think about it, the only man I really know is my husband. So I cannot know how I would behave if I had a son, in theory, I want to give him the same education as my daughter, but I might do differently without even noticing it. does that make sense?

So, how did your dad raise you and your brothers? Did he make you wash his car or assist your mom with the kitchen chores?

I am very happy that you disagree and that you feel free to express your opinion. this is not a right/wrong topic, and I am not trying to convince anybody, as I don't feel that my opinion is better than yours or anybody's. I know why I think that way, that doesn't mean that your own opinion doesn't make sense. Actually, what you said here

You are extremely verbose, and your presentation highly fragmented. This is very distracting.

got me thinking. I do believe too that a long term relationship such as marriage is easier if the two members of the couple have a clear idea about what is their responsibility/role in the relationship and the family. Does that mean that it can't work if there is no such thing as a defined "man's role" and "woman's role"? divorce statistics in the western world might say so, most of my wester female friends believe otherwise grin

Again, you are running around in circles. Did your mom and dad play the same roles? You should commend the divorce stats in the Western world, for if African women had the same opportunities other women had in the same Western countries, there would be NO marriages in Africa. cheesy

as for the study I was talking about it was just to prove my point that women would behave differently depending on the way they were raised, and so that it is not a question of "natural" differences, but also of education.

Your point of view is very interesting anyway, please I hope I am not offending you in any way by asking you so many questions, this is really a peaceful talk for me smiley

You keep mentioning "this study" and "the study". Where is it? Since you admitted yourself that English is not your primary lingo. Moreover, going by your literary activities on this thread, my most educated guess is that you may not have interpreted what you read in the context of "the study". No insult intended. I need a cigarette.

You are driving me to drink. Stoppit! grin
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by Blazay(m): 8:27pm On Nov 15, 2010
GL:

i would raise them the same way, i.e. give them the same kinds of duties, and have the same level of expectations. of course, this would have to be tailored to their personalities.

No problem there.

with regards to age though, i guess i would raise them differently. i don't expect a young child to handle the same types of responsibilities as his/her older siblings.

No problem there.

these distinctions in roles and attitudes of each gender are mostly based on the society/family. not all girls are emotional and not all boys are predatory; these aren't entirely inherent traits, they have a lot to do with the upbringing. so for those who would like their daughters to be emotionally strong, and their sons to not be predatory, it's best not to pass those ideas to the kids at such young ages.

There are exception to the rule of course.  I did not state ALL boys or ALL girls. We are talking of norms. You are thinking Western culture for the most parts. Think African culture.

about only a real man being able to raise a male child, i beg to differ.

One of the main reasons we have a lot of homosexuals and bi-sexuals all over the world(love them, for they are God's children too). When you allow your sons to sleep in your beds and letting them see your "stuff" till they are 20 years old as young men.  Only to wish for a sex-change down the line because they love what you have. cheesy

i know several guys who were raised by single mothers for various reasons. and about a girl being damaged for life if her relationship with her father is tarnished, it's not a rule. while it does seem that way for some girls, many girls grow up fine in such situations.

I can't argue that there are fantastic single parents as mothers. Not all girls are damaged for life without a father figure in her life. If you read what I wrote previously, I stated a healthy relationship with her father. Of course, a girl is better off without a man in her life than with being saddled with a pedo-phile or a domestic abuser for a father. Let us not restate the obvious please. I did not say ALL. Yes, MOST. A general statement? Heck yeah. My opinion.

kids learn so much from other sources than their families from their pre-teen ages. though the tendency is for kids to follow after the parent of the same sex, there are many kids who grow up to hate certain traits of their parents.

Different topic entirely. The basic foundation for a child's growth and development comes from the parents as role models, Yes, there is peer pressure and all that, which is only fleeting and ephemeral. When the chips are down, the child does not remember what his or her friends told him about life, but what mommy and daddy did and how the coped *with life. Yes, kids get to hate certain traits about their parents good or bad. We all went through those phases. But when the parents are no more(I mean responsible, loving parents) who do we give the thanks and praises to? The parents of course. We come to appreciate them, not our friends who want to lead us down the paths of destruction where their own parents have failed them. Food for thought. wink
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by MissIfe(f): 9:14pm On Nov 15, 2010
So, how did your dad raise you and your brothers? Did he make you wash his car or assist your mom with the kitchen chores?

As I said, I grew up in a girls-only family. My parents divorced when I was a teen, and my mom raised up with an extreme belief that "we don't need a man to live". I gues she was so scared to see us beeing dependant on a man and not being able to make our own choices. Both my parents pushed us to study to a high level, my dad didn't have a son but he believes that "a girl can do as much as a man", professionnally speaking. I have to admit that my parents didn't raise me or my sister towards marriage. I can't even remember talking about marriage or men/women relationships with them. They wanted us to be strong, independant and self sufficient women.

Though I agree with some of my parents ideas, I am not as extreme as they are.

You are driving me to drink. Stoppit! Grin

How do you expect to understand my "verbose" and "fragmented presentation" if you keep on drinking tongue wink
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by Blazay(m): 12:37am On Nov 19, 2010
Miss_Ife:

As I said, I grew up in a girls-only family. My parents divorced when I was a teen, and my mom raised up with an extreme belief that "we don't need a man to live". I gues she was so scared to see us beeing dependant on a man and not being able to make our own choices. Both my parents pushed us to study to a high level, my dad didn't have a son but he believes that "a girl can do as much as a man", professionnally speaking. I have to admit that my parents didn't raise me or my sister towards marriage. I can't even remember talking about marriage or men/women relationships with them. They wanted us to be strong, independant and self sufficient women.
Though I agree with some of my parents ideas, I am not as extreme as they are.

How do you expect to understand my "verbose" and "fragmented presentation" if you keep on drinking tongue wink

Regardless of the sex of a child, he or she should be raised to be strong mentally.
Physically, male and females do not have the same body mass indices so cannot be raised the same way.
There are exceptions to the rule of course but not the norm.
Your parents only did what they knew how to do best given their resources.
You will do the same when opportuned.
All a matter of preference.
So, wait till you cross that bridge.
No one else's opinion will matter then.

No need to pre-occupy yourself with what ifs.
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by oyinda3(f): 12:39am On Nov 19, 2010
lol. i'm not planning to raise a boy. perfect scenario will be two girls!!! that's it.

I like Chaircover's answer though. They should not be raised differently from each other.
Re: Would You/do You Raise Your Sons And Daughter The Same Way? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 19, 2010
When it comes to chores, definitely. No boy in my house would be playing football while the girl would be cooking or washing plates. Both of them would play ball and both would handle the chores. It would help both in the long run. Especially the boy.

(1) (Reply)

Caught Red Handed! / Dear Married Men, Powerful Messages From Pastor Tony Rapu To You / #IWD2016 Empowering The Girl Child To Become A Woman;Breaking The Glass Ceiling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.