Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,933 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? (11363 Views)

Batch A 2015 Passing Out Parade To Come Up In February 2016? / Best Companies To Do Nysc With: / American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Cosmass(f): 1:04am On Nov 08, 2010
I am done with my undergraduate studies and planning to do my masters. Would it be a good idea to come back home to serve and return abroad to continue my studies?
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Rare(m): 3:50am On Nov 08, 2010
Nowadays NYSC is more about seeking work experience than about service.
Seems you are in early phases of kick-starting your career, this might be important to you.

With a foreign degree you can dictate your preference for your NYSC location. That's a plus !!
So if you have a desired location, try to seek opportunities with firms there where you can spend the one-year NYSC requirement as well as get work experience. Hopefully you can be housed, because you can't rely on the allowances for that in the bigger cities.

On the other hand if you can secure a relevant job wherever you are now OR you are absolutely ready to start the master's degree, you might not want to give it up for NYSC. You can always get an exemption note from the NYSC body years later, when you're past the age limit.

I do not mean to deter you from the 'service' year. If indeed you want to explore the voluntary service (esp in those remote rural areas), please do so. Some of us already enjoyed that.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by rebranded(m): 12:01pm On Nov 08, 2010
I went to nigeria to have my nysc some years ago, and returned back to the states. I felt it was actually a waste of my time.

Why not do your masters or get some experience where you are, in my opinion you dont need the nysc thing, plus i hear how harsh the job market is now in Nigeria, might not be the best time to be going to that place.

If u have other reasons for wanting to go to nigeria then thats a different case, but i dont see the relevance of the nysc if u dont intend to stay in nigeria or move back in the next 5yrs.jmho

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by joxiri: 12:09pm On Nov 08, 2010
Pls note you cant really dictate your location, the most recent foreign graduates were deployed to oyo stats and conditions are not too great
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Tudor6(f): 12:32pm On Nov 08, 2010
Why would anyone want to waste 1 year of your life doing NYSC? I skipped the damn thing and I have no regrets.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by juzme: 12:55pm On Nov 08, 2010
This should be your personal decision anyway but I think like many have said here it is a waste of time if you dont intend living in Nigerian for the next 5 - 10years.
And I think even the work experience may not count abroad except you work in a foriegn company.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Solozzo(m): 12:56pm On Nov 08, 2010
In my own opinion, it is not worth the effort to do NYSC these days. You may be posted to a location that puts you at risk of different calamities and the experience adds nothing to your progress. UNLESS you have political agenda in the future in nigeria. It is not like the American peace corps that is well supported by the US govt. Better enjoy your stay in the US and do a master's degree programme
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 08, 2010
imho, nysc is a complete failure -

the original goal, to foster unity and tolerance has failed completely

unless you do your nysc in cities, you will be in hamlets where you will meet with the raawest, most concentrated hausa, ibo, yoruba, etc, and you will com back spouting how useless the tribes are

i hear people on nl who have nothing but condemnation for hausas , based on their experience in nysc - several of my close friends served in the esta, and tehye came back telling me - every bad thig you've heard about the ibos is true and worse - some ibo friends also got wasted in ogun or was it ondo by an opc night patrol -- so straight off, it has failed

what is worse is the fact that people are not safe - one keeps reading of female corps members getting gang raped by people in their community

nysc has done nothing except ultimately foster more hatred ad disunity as far as i'm concerned. yes , some of my friends have served in rural areas and had nice experiences, but they are the exception, rather than the rule

add to the fact that it is a complete speed bump to the take off of a career already hampered by jamb and assu strikes . . .
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by airlord: 2:48pm On Nov 08, 2010
Cosmass,

Like someone rightly said it is a personal decision. I left the Uk a few years ago after my postgrad because i wanted to take some time off living in the Uk so decided to come spend some time with my folks in Naija and at the same time do my NYSC. During the service year, i applied to a few companies and i ended up getting a dream job. i have been working for one of the leading Oil and gas firms with an incredible salary package for a few years now and lifes been good.

At the same time i also have a few friends that we came home together and they couldnt get good jobs. One settled for what he could get and earning less than 200K monthly in a bank while the other left for the US after awhile to do his PHD.

For me NSYC was fun, and i thank God it ended well. Wish u same.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Ofido(m): 3:43pm On Nov 08, 2010
its normal for pple to say bad things about the place ther served because ther are not living a positive life.
Am igbo,currently service in one village at Gombe state,pple ther do not understand simple 'come' but i took it as a challange 2 produce 10 best senior waec students and by the grace of God my 10 students must make it.
Ther is no electrcity but am not talking bad about them.
Remember the motto 'service and humulity'.
All this pple that are talkin now if u ask them wat have offered or sacrifiesd for the country? Nothing.
If you plan to settle in 9ja its a must do or even if u didnt plan, Home is home,one day you must need it, Quote me
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by morpheus24: 4:00pm On Nov 08, 2010
NYSC has lost its way. There are many ways you can give back to communities in Nigeria without wasting a year of your life. If you are younger however and have the time to spare then its worth a shot.

People who often get good jobs after service have connections of some sort so if you are one of those go ahead and play your hand.

The arguement about needing those documents later in life only depend on your intent engage in politics or get governmetn contracts.

The probability is not on your side being that we have over 150+ people in nigerian garning for few government positions. Choose wisely
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 08, 2010
@ poster, a u sure u have been done? Hahahha.Nija graduate from abroad
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by furacao(m): 4:33pm On Nov 08, 2010
Well, there is plenty bush meat during NYSC, for those who like bushmeat!! 
kiss
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Princek12(m): 4:52pm On Nov 08, 2010
furacao:

kiss

Can you elaborate, Bushmaster? What is bushmeat?
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by lakode(m): 5:23pm On Nov 08, 2010
hmmm, really it depends , I was also doing mine and I left it to pursue my masters program abroad , some get lucky during the NYSC some get unlucky(I know a friend that was killed in jos during his NYSC ) .However if I will go by my own experience , I will say a big NOOOO, I went through a really ludicrous time during my NYSC , I was posted to the creaks in the Niger delta , I was robbed under 48 hrs of getting to my primary assignment environment , the living conditions were bizarre 'unimaginable' , I was cooking and taking shower using bags of pure water plus no security nor electricity , for me it was hell .
I will point out that the only reasonable part of the program is the first few weeks in camp( you can be lucky to meet old mates from as far back as primary school) , I think the government needs to extend the military camp period to 2 months and that should be all(it is the only reasonable part of the program),
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Basildon1(m): 5:28pm On Nov 08, 2010
furacao:

kiss
cheesy cheesy
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by eros(m): 6:08pm On Nov 08, 2010
NYSC is a complete waste of 1 year that can be used for productive things. If i were given the chance, i did say scrap the bloo.dy money wasting project. I heard recently a Senator was trying to pass a bill for NYSC to be scrapped. Well, i pray the bill gets through because it only enriches the pockets and bank accounts of those in charge of it.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by ladi02(m): 8:22pm On Nov 08, 2010
eros:

NYSC is a complete waste of 1 year that can be used for productive things. If i were given the chance, i did say scrap the bloo.dy money wasting project. I heard recently a Senator was trying to pass a bill for NYSC to be scrapped. Well, i pray the bill gets through because it only enriches the pockets and bank accounts of those in charge of it.

NYSC shouldnt be scrapped it gives people the opportunity to work where they prob would never had worked without naija connection. plus it helps nigerians know a little about their country.

after all that i feel you dont need nysc unless its a move to return home for good, u need to ask urself if u see urself settling in the country u are, if yes, pls dont go and waste your time in nigeria u are not missing anything, telling you from experience. If i had the right advice i would not have gone to do my nysc, cos now im back in the UK
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by hackney(m): 9:07pm On Nov 08, 2010
Tudór:

Why would anyone want to waste 1 year of your life doing NYSC? I skipped the damn thing and I have no regrets.

Ditto
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by MaiSuya(m): 9:12pm On Nov 08, 2010
NYSC was really an experience for me. I wouldnt advise anyone to miss it
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Rare(m): 9:33pm On Nov 08, 2010
morpheus24:

People who often get good jobs after service have connections of some sort so if you are one of those go ahead and play your hand.

The probability is not on your side being that we have over 150+ people in nigerian garning for few government positions. Choose wisely

This is not entirely true. The probability is low, I agree.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Cosmass(f): 1:25am On Nov 09, 2010
Wow, Thanks guys for the replies. Now let me sit back and read all the replies.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Nobody: 6:11am On Nov 09, 2010
Thanks so much for creating this topic OP. I've been wanting to go back to Nigeria to do my own NYSC after I graduate. And thanks posters for the input smiley
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Epiphany(m): 12:51pm On Nov 09, 2010
Depending on what you want to do sooner or later in life, NYSC can be a good thing to experience. For example, if you want to work with an international donor organization, having the experience of working in a rural area can be a plus - esp if you can join a branch of that organization to carry out your service. You can look for UNICEF, UNDP or World Bank funded projects in rural areas to work with. This may count towards your work experience when you finally want to join them on a more permanent role.

Also, some top schools in America love those kind of stories esp when you want to do an MBA. Although it is not a prerequisite to being admitted, they love hearing and admitting people that have 'voluntary' work experience from 'poor' countries or areas.

Again, if you have studied or are planning to study certain courses like, Medicine, biological sciences, agriculture, social sciences, etc, working and living in certain areas my just be the thing for you. You will get to experience certain living conditions that you would not experience living abroad or in the more urbanized areas of Nigeria. you will be able to apply what you have learned, develop new ideas or research areas or even gather data for future projects you may embark upon.

However, regardless of where you decide to live, it will be good if you have some money of your own. this wil be towards maintaining yourself and living with certain basic comforts you may be used to. Eg buy a small generator, paint your small house or room, buy a small fridge or cooker etc etc, All these are just towards making your NYSC year as comfortable as you can.

If you are the adventurous kind, you may just want to do this. Afterall, we sometimes find some foreigners living in certain villages for sometime in the bid to gather data or carry out some foreign sponsored project.

All the best
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by spikedcylinder: 1:07pm On Nov 09, 2010
Princek12:

Can you elaborate, Bushmaster? What is bushmeat?

Rotflmao! Which one is bushmaster again? grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by kidgenious(m): 1:35pm On Nov 09, 2010
@ Poster,
Its a nice experience.u meet new people,learn new cultures and food.am currently serving in Benin City,Edo state.though the people are not too friendly,its been fun all the way.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Geolalisa(f): 4:27pm On Nov 09, 2010
@ Poster
I will strongly advice you get your NYSC certificate, cos even if you decide to go for your masters and after which you want to come back to nigeria and work, you must present your NYSC certificate. so is not a waste of time. Best of luck.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Rare(m): 8:03pm On Nov 09, 2010
Geolalisa:

@ Poster
I will strongly advice you get your NYSC certificate, cos even if you decide to go for your masters and after which you want to come back to nigeria and work, you must present your NYSC certificate. so is not a waste of time. Best of luck.

Being abroad gives you an easy excuse to maneouvre.
I was just thinking that if completing your masters program puts your age beyond the maximum allowable age, you can always request an exemption from NYSC.

Hence, your profile might look like this: foreign bachelor's degree + foreign master's degree + (possibly foreign work experience) + NYSC exempt certificate = High employability in Nigeria !! wink

But if your age is much lower than the borderline, then you can experiment it.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Laughter1(m): 9:11pm On Nov 09, 2010
joxiri:

Pls note you cant really dictate your location, the most recent foreign graduates were deployed to oyo stats and conditions are not too great

Thats true ooo, so of my friends that Graduated from here in the UK, were posted to Kaduna and Oyo state. It sucks big time! Gone are the days when you could choose Lagos or Abuja alone
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Laughter1(m): 9:23pm On Nov 09, 2010
Cosmass:

i have been done with my undergrad and planning on doing my masters. Would it be a good idea to come back home to serve and return abroad to continue my studies?

Cosmass, really nice Topic.

I was in your shoes last year thinking of what to do as well. I was thinking of doing NYSC, but I later decided to work for a year or two first, do masters, go back to 9ja for NYSC and start job hunting in 9ja.

Now to my 2cents.

It all depends on your circumstances. You have to go back and serve either now or after masters if you looking to work in Nigeria anytime soon or if you don't have a settled(indefinite leave to remain) status wherever you are be it US/UK. This is because employers in nigeria will ask for your NYSC discharge certificate when you apply for jobs in 9ja. Otherwise, Just chill dearie, its of no value to you over there really, if your not looking to settle or work in 9ja anytime soon.

Hope this helps.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by MaiSuya(m): 10:13pm On Nov 09, 2010
Epiphany:

Depending on what you want to do sooner or later in life, NYSC can be a good thing to experience. For example, if you want to work with an international donor organization, having the experience of working in a rural area can be a plus - esp if you can join a branch of that organization to carry out your service. You can look for UNICEF, UNDP or World Bank funded projects in rural areas to work with. This may count towards your work experience when you finally want to join them on a more permanent role.

If you are the adventurous kind, you may just want to do this. Afterall, we sometimes find some foreigners living in certain villages for sometime in the bid to gather data or carry out some foreign sponsored project.

All the best
RIGHT ON TARGET!!!  In fact, yours truly is, I say with all due modesty, an example of such.

While most of my colleagues were frantically taking measures to ensure they get posted to any of the big cities, I decided to let fate have its way mine; and it was to one of the remotest parts of Benue State that I was eventually posted. Admittedly, the challenges were. . . well, in a class of its own: unique to say the least--I spare you the details. One good thing that came out of it was that while applying for the job, the fact that I had worked in a rural area clearly gave me an edge over those who had opted for cites, and yes they were many.

Incidentally, I'm back in the rural area; though this time receiving over 10 times what I used to, which is far higher than what most of my colleagues, even those with the government, are being paid. This is aside all the numerous perks that comes with an NGO eg, numerous sponsored seminars, free accommodation, etc  cool cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The 2013 NYSC PRESIDENT HONOURS' AWARD / A thread for corpers posted to Rivers / Things To Take Nysc Orientation Camp For Batch B Awaiting Nysc Corpers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.