Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,191 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? (11394 Views)

Batch A 2015 Passing Out Parade To Come Up In February 2016? / Best Companies To Do Nysc With: / American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by axeman85(m): 11:16pm On Nov 09, 2010
It varies oo BUT its quite adviseable to do it. i am currently working in the uk with a bank as an account manager but looking to relocate to 9ja and i graudated from uk but everyone willing to help as per job the first thing they are saying is do NYSC first as without it, it will hinder job prospects because its mandatory in 9ja. also those saying you can get a firm to do it with its true BUT they will only pay you as per corper level even tho you have experience eg NYSC pays 10k i tink and the highest paying bank for corper which is gtb pays 50k. am talking from my experience as i am interested in the banking sector. i have responsibilities, house rent to pay in 9ja and family to feed so how can 60k be substantial for me for a whole year. ? answer is it wont.

so i have decided to abandon every job search for now and focus on going to 9ja in jan and proceed to abuja to register my interest for NYSC so i can join the Feb 11 batch but as usual i wont chose lagos or abuja, will choose north probably jalingo or so. as all i will be doing is the 3weeks, arrange with my ZI and CLO to keep the allowee and come back to my job in uk and den go to 9ja every 4months just to see how things are going and get my Madam to keep in touch with them incase of any unforseen issues.

becos i didnt have NYSC it has hindered me getting a good job as the first question they ask me is NYSC even thou i have the qulifications and work experience.

so yes its adviceable to come back and do it.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by udeze(m): 1:08pm On Nov 12, 2010
if you feel you can easily get a Job abroad or that you want to work abroad and don't want to work in Nigeria at all, then you can go ahead and forget about the NYSC, other than that, NYSC is essential unless you are planning of going into private sector
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Ymodulus: 3:37pm On Nov 12, 2010
udeze:

if you feel you can easily get a Job abroad or that you want to work abroad and don't want to work in Nigeria at all, then you can go ahead and forget about the NYSC, other than that, NYSC is essential unless you are planning of going into private sector
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by tablo: 5:33pm On Nov 12, 2010
it really nic im in your shoe even do im grad fro one of the country university for beta career position lata in lyfe it a paramount my next step is the NYSC point of duty so endure
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by chyk91(m): 1:58am On Nov 13, 2010
pls is it necessary to do the nysc if u want to specialize outside nigeria in the medical field after graduating from medicine in a nigerian uni.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Meddler(f): 6:56pm On Nov 14, 2010
I just completed my 3 weeks camp on Friday and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I came back from US after being away for 10 years. The environment and surrounding were unfit for human habitation. Imagine having no facilities. Everyone had to get creative. The place smelled so badly. Honestly the place should be condemned and in any other country it would have been. We were leaving in our shit literally. The officials and the entire process was so disorganized it took hours to get a simple task completed. We had a lot of foreign trained students and not many ppl were excited about the whole camp experience. IMHO the whole NYSC should be scraped. It is completely unnecessary. The only positive thing about camp was that u met ppl from different backgrounds. Well I just collected my posting letter and about to embark on the remaining part of my service.

As a foreign trained student who earned their first degree/Bachelors outside the country u will get your first choice. That is not even an issue. I guess ppl confuse that. If u earned ur first degree in Nigeria and then did ur Masters outside the country u won't be given that same preference. So don't think because u just came back that u're considered foreign trained. According to NYSC they don't group you into that category. So if you just came back to naija after completing your Masters outside the country but earned ur first degree in Nigeria, I suggest u start working it.

Long story short I would not advise you against it or for it. U can only make that decision for yourself. I can only tell u that if you decide to do your NYSC just come prepared and ready for anything. I can bet u've never experienced anything like this in ur entire life grin. And become familiar with the word Otondo lol
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Cosmass(f): 7:04am On Nov 16, 2010
Thanks guys for the contributions though it's still a little difficult for me to decide and by the way what is the camp life like? Is it true, during camp, showers are taken outside?
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Meddler(f): 8:58am On Nov 16, 2010
Cosmass:

Thanks guys for the contributions though it's still a little difficult for me to decide and by the way what is the camp life like? Is it true, during camp, showers are taken outside?

Yep and every other bodily function hehe.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Laughter1(m): 9:10pm On Nov 17, 2010
Meddler:

Yep and every other bodily function hehe.

Oh God, dats horrible , lol! I m so not looking forward to it. ain't encouraging atall, especially with the peanuts they pay the otondos, a friend of mine from the same Uni here that served in Oyo was telling me the basic allowance was like N9,500 or something as well as placement with bank for 50k a month. Dat sucks big time, dats wht people make here in a day. so not looking forward to it atall. God dey sha!
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by axeman85(m): 5:29pm On Nov 19, 2010
@meddler

thanks for shedding light on it jare. as for me after the 3weeks , i will be absconding sharp sharp. hope u were able to find your size as per di coper uniform sha and di booth abi na canvass no too small or big/. lol

@laughter

dats true oo your friend is correct thats 1 of di reasons sef i cant do the nysc afta 3weeks i dey abscond come continue my job for uk . den runs di rest.

@meddler

sorry just want to find out some info. when did u get to 9ja, when did u do your registration ? was it at abuja or lagos ? how many days did it take for registration ? and wen did u get your callup letter and also wen did camp open and wen did it close ?

thanks really appreciated.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by axeman85(m): 2:11pm On Nov 22, 2010
@meddler

STILL WAITING OOO. I REALLY NEED U TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS OOO. PLS
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Meddler(f): 3:06pm On Nov 23, 2010
Sorry my internet was down  sad
axeman85

thanks for shedding light on it jare. as for me after the 3weeks , i will be absconding sharp sharp. hope u were able to find your size as per di coper uniform sha and di booth abi na canvass no too small or big/. lol

Nope did not find my size in any of their clothing/shoes. I had to re-size my shirt and trouser and the shoes were too big for me I look like Bonzo the clown wearing them lol. Most everyone had to get their uniforms re-sized.

sorry just want to find out some info. when did u get to 9ja, when did u do your registration ? was it at abuja or lagos ? how many days did it take for registration ? and wen did u get your callup letter and also wen did camp open and wen did it close ?

arrived in Nigeria on August and registration started in September. Can't remember the date though. Registration takes place only in Abuja and it took me a day to complete it. There will be a lot of people there so be prepared. Makes copies of all your documents too. We got our call up letter in October. I believe camp started on 10/28 - the date was pushed up and we officially left camp on 11/12. They let us out early due to the Sallah celebration.
Hope that helps
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by axeman85(m): 3:31pm On Nov 23, 2010
@meddler

thanks for shedding light on it. really appreciate it alot thanks very much and God bless, now i can chill and book my ticket against next batch. 1 love.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by DisGuy: 5:03pm On Nov 23, 2010
One more question to add to axeman's

Did you get the call up letter delivered to you or you have to go back to Abuja to pick it up?
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Meddler(f): 8:39pm On Nov 23, 2010
Dis Guy:

One more question to add to axeman's

Did you get the call up later delivered to you or you have to go back to Abuja to pick it up?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! sorry i had to get that outta the way. And Naija to make anything easy or convenient? Yeah that will be a first. No u will have to pick it up in Abuja. I live in Abuja so that wasn't an issue for me.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by DisGuy: 11:16am On Nov 24, 2010
LMAO was only wishing; I mean its 2010 after all,

I have always wondered why simple things are made difficult, going to Abuja to register then going back to collect just a letter is an absolute waste especially for people living far away in say Sokoto or Calabar

everything could be done online, including sending us the shirt and boot grin
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Meddler(f): 11:45am On Nov 24, 2010
Dis Guy:

LMAO was only wishing; I mean its 2010 after all,

I have always wondered why simple things are made difficult, going to Abuja to register then going back to collect just a letter is an absolute waste especially for people living far away in say Sokoto or Calabar

everything could be done online, including sending us the shirt and boot grin

Well let me not spoil the surprise for when u finally get to camp. U're going to think someone put u in a time capsule and transported you back to the dark ages grin
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by DisGuy: 11:20pm On Nov 25, 2010
sad

They should decentralise the thing, each 'geopolitical' zone should have an NYSC office- i wonder why no one has come up with this, why should it happen in one place and they cant even post the letters back abi what's NIPOST for?

I saw the Ogun NYSC camp on TV recently newly built looks a bit decent
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by axeman85(m): 5:07pm On Nov 28, 2010
Dis Guy:

sad

They should decentralise the thing, each 'geopolitical' zone should have an NYSC office- i wonder why no one has come up with this, why should it happen in one place and they cant even post the letters back abi what's NIPOST for?

I saw the Ogun NYSC camp on TV recently newly built looks a bit decent

very funny, nipost for wwhere. is it the postoffice that still looks like the 1840s. the only thing that resembles posts that works in nigeria as far as i am concerend is EMS or u do it urself. Well looking 4ward to it by nxt year and getting the camp out of the way.

@meddler

them post you go somewhere better abi na school dem carry u go ?
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Hotstepper(f): 6:52pm On Nov 28, 2010
@Meddler, I guess we are in the same batch, Batch C that just finished camp on the 12th of Novermber, Menh, I made up my mind to have fun in camp and I did. The organizational aspect at my own camp was good but the surrounding was just the same as ur own. No washrooms etc that I dont even think for the 3 weeks I stayed dere that I pooed up to 5 timeswink

It was great that I met alot of people with different characters and mehn, the military commandants killed me with laughter. Unless most foreign students that picked Abj nd Lagos, I picked somewhere in the south-south and I think I was the only foreign student in my camp. Overall, I had mad fun nd will go back if they asked me to,
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by axeman85(m): 8:06pm On Nov 28, 2010
@hotstepper

God to hear u ad fun, but why choose somewhere far ? r u a potential absconder ? or planning to.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Meddler(f): 8:31pm On Nov 28, 2010
Hotstepper:

@Meddler, I guess we are in the same batch, Batch C that just finished camp on the 12th of Novermber, Menh, I made up my mind to have fun in camp and I did. The organizational aspect at my own camp was good but the surrounding was just the same as your own. No washrooms etc that I dont even think for the 3 weeks I stayed dere that I pooed up to 5 timeswink

It was great that I met alot of people with different characters and mehn, the military commandants killed me with laughter. Unless most foreign students that picked Abj nd Lagos, I picked somewhere in the south-south and I think I was the only foreign student in my camp. Overall, I had mad fun nd will go back if they asked me to,

Yep. Glad u had fun. Being a chick lack of facilities was a major issue for me and that kind of killed it for me. But the only day i can honestly say i had fun was the endurance trek. Once we reached our destination it was major party time. It was great. I was really looking forward to the camp fire and hoping it was gng to top the endurance trek but that was a major let down. The commandants were quite hilarious I have to say so. But the first week of camp was hardest for me. I don't know how i survived lol.
So are u doing ur PA in the South-South too?
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by netotse(m): 12:34am On Nov 29, 2010
Being abroad gives you an easy excuse to maneouvre.
I was just thinking that if completing your masters program puts your age beyond the maximum allowable age, you can always request an exemption from NYSC.

Hence, your profile might look like this: foreign bachelor's degree + foreign master's degree + (possibly foreign work experience) + NYSC exempt certificate = High employability in Nigeria !! Wink
as long as you were under 30 after your undergraduate you'll have to do NYSC.

I'm not a foreign trained grad but i'll add my 2 cents.

I chose where i wanted to carry out my NYSC(right down to the place i was posted) and for me what determined that choice was my career path, i have my NYSC as part of my work experience, i'm not the patient type so i knew i wasn't going to teach anybody's child. . .lol

I had fun, i was in the north and despite the fact that i live in abj, it still took some getting used to, yes there were times i felt like all northerners should be gathered in a room and shot, but in the end, i came out with a better understanding of the average northerner than i had before.

The average nigerian is ignorant but will never admit it(heck he's ignorant of his ignorance, a double whammy right?) ,most nigerians have never lived outside the states where they grew up and so are steeped in stereotypes. NYSC is a chance to learn something different, i grew up in lagos and only moved to abuja in the not too distant past so my perception of northerners was restricted to the talk i heard around me, (even abj isn't exactly a northern town as areas have their caucauses) spending time in Niger state changed the way i think about them in general, yep i had a lot of bad experiences but i came out better for it all.

Would i advise anyone to do NYSC? definitely, but you need to know exactly why you're going in, most of the retards that come telling you horror stories had unreal expectations going in and most of the people that come back telling you how horrible other tribes are probably forgot that they were strangers in another man's land and needed to respect their hosts. It's not rocket science, it's human nature(far more complex cheesy)
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Hotstepper(f): 8:25am On Nov 29, 2010
@Meddler, I am also a woman so i understand u perfectly, thus, the reason I said I prevented eating a lot of stuff so i dont have to poo oftensmiley
Yes oo, the commandants are just too funny oooo. our endurance trek was fun too nd short nd the camp fire was dry too, mostly cuz it rained prior to it nd it was chilly but ppl still made sumthing out of it. Yes, I am doing my PPA down here as well,
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by DisGuy: 7:38pm On Dec 03, 2010
netotse:

as long as you were under 30 after your undergraduate you'll have to do NYSC.

I chose where i wanted to carry out my NYSC(right down to the place i was posted) and for me what determined that choice was my career path, i have my NYSC as part of my work experience, i'm not the patient type so i knew i wasn't going to teach anybody's child. . .lol

I had fun, i was in the north and despite the fact that i live in abj, it still took some getting used to, yes there were times i felt like all northerners should be gathered in a room and shot, but in the end, i came out with a better understanding of the average northerner than i had before.

The average nigerian is ignorant but will never admit it(heck he's ignorant of his ignorance, a double whammy right?) ,most nigerians have never lived outside the states where they grew up and so are steeped in stereotypes. NYSC is a chance to learn something different, i grew up in lagos and only moved to abuja in the not too distant past so my perception of northerners was restricted to the talk i heard around me, (even abj isn't exactly a northern town as areas have their caucauses) spending time in Niger state changed the way i think about them in general, yep i had a lot of bad experiences but i came out better for it all.

Would i advise anyone to do NYSC? definitely, but you need to know exactly why you're going in, most of the retards that come telling you horror stories had unreal expectations going in and most of the people that come back telling you how horrible other tribes are probably forgot that they were strangers in another man's land and needed to respect their hosts. It's not rocket science, it's human nature(far more complex cheesy)

Are you saying EVERY graduate have the opportunity to choose exactly where they serve right down to the place they are posted BECAUSE i dont know how possible it is to avoid horror stories when people have very little options on where they serve and in what capacity- I think most people understand they're going in to serve the country and conditions wont be the best but at least they'll have better experiences if their abilities are put to better use in an okay environment

stand to be corrected though, on choosing a place to serve
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by netotse(m): 9:21pm On Dec 03, 2010
Dis Guy:

Are you saying EVERY graduate have the opportunity to choose exactly where they serve right down to the place they are posted BECAUSE i dont know how possible it is to avoid horror stories when people have very little options on where they serve and in what capacity- I think most people understand they're going in to serve the country and conditions wont be the best but at least they'll have better experiences if their abilities are put to better use in an okay environment

stand to be corrected though, on choosing a place to serve
nope, every graduate doesn't have the chance, my point is that most people expect NYSC to be a walk in the park and you cant be farther from the truth, it's tough for a lot of people, if all the people you relate with only tell you of how they arranged to have themselves posted to their popsie's company or to XYZ place where they didn't do anything, and you fool yourself into thinking you're going to have a blast during NYSC you're on a long thing.

For most people, you get sent to a place where you dont have family and dont know anyone, you have to learn the culture of the people and learn to get along with them, you have to put aside all your misgivings and live with them not because it's easy but because it has to be done.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Rare(m): 3:20am On Dec 05, 2010
netotse:

This is the persistent Naija issue. NYSC rules are there. Those who can't tweak it, face the music. Those who can, sing a different song.
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by netotse(m): 11:23pm On Dec 05, 2010
Rare:

This is the persistent Naija issue. NYSC rules are there. Those who can't tweak it, face the music. Those who can, sing a different song.

omo, no matter the kind of music you name i danced to it o. . .not er'one that influences his/her posting does so because of comfort. . .go figure!
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by DisGuy: 11:29pm On Dec 05, 2010
But atleast you are better prepared physiologically than someone that gets flung anywhere to do anything

Rare:

kind of agree, a friend got sent to calabar, served in a bank another friend got flung elsewhere, to serve with a local government council with no office per se just an abandoned building with no electricity so had to sit outside trying to learn the language with the help of almajiri students for months until he tweaked it and moved out
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Rare(m): 8:02am On Dec 06, 2010
netotse:

omo, no matter the kind of music you name i danced to it o. . .not er'one that influences his/her posting does so because of comfort. . .go figure!
I am not perturbed by your reason to influence your posting. I am disturbed that some can influence and hence enjoy the scheme because of their advantage, while others who actually experience the scheme for what it is, might feel otherwise. But like I said earlier, this is just a minor indication of a bigger national issue.

Dis Guy:

But atleast you are better prepared physiologically than someone that gets flung anywhere to do anything

kind of agree, a friend got sent to calabar, served in a bank another friend got flung elsewhere, to serve with a local government council with no office per se just an abandoned building with no electricity so had to sit outside trying to learn the language with the help of almajiri students for months until he tweaked it and moved out

As far as NYSC postings are not a level playing ground (at least to a good degree), we shall keep on seeing threads like "Is it Wise to Come Back To Do NYSC"
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by netotse(m): 9:08am On Dec 06, 2010
Rare:

I am not perturbed by your reason to influence your posting. I am disturbed that some can influence and hence enjoy the scheme because of their advantage, while others who actually experience the scheme for what it is, might feel otherwise. But like I said earlier, this is just a minor indication of a bigger national issue.
name a system that cant be gamed. . .as long as you can use a system to your advantage(without breaking the law) i dont see why you shouldn't.

As far as NYSC postings are not a level playing ground (at least to a good degree), we shall keep on seeing threads like "Is it Wise to Come Back To Do NYSC"
i dont understand how you managed to arrive at this conclusion, so if er'one(including 'returnees') was given random postings, we wouldn't have threads such as this ehn?. . .that sort of reasoning is manifestly flawed(and that's putting it lightly.)
Re: Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? by Rare(m): 10:34pm On Dec 07, 2010
netotse:

i dont understand how you managed to arrive at this conclusion, so if er'one(including 'returnees') was given random postings, we wouldn't have threads such as this ehn?. . .that sort of reasoning is manifestly flawed(and that's putting it lightly.)
Look at it this way. In spite of the NYSC being mandatory to gain employment, people are still considering if it's "wise" (and these are potential job seekers). Imagine if that mandatory requirement did not exist.
Then, why are people even considering a mandatory activity in the first place? Because of the inherent 'gaming' as you put it. Also I do not envisage a scheme without any 'gaming', that is utopian. I earlier used the phrase 'at least to a good degree' to establish the level of reduction in 'gaming' that would make the scheme tolerable. Moreover, the 'gaming' in question is of a blatant type. Others systems, which you allude to, usually have a more subtle 'gaming', hence tolerable by any design.

netotse:

name a system that cant be gamed. . .as long as you can use a system to your advantage(without breaking the law) i dont see why you shouldn't.
I understand your self-defense.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Things To Take Nysc Orientation Camp For Batch B Awaiting Nysc Corpers. / Life In Jigawa State As A Corp Member & Journey / A thread for corpers posted to Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.