Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,674 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:53 PM

Which Culture Is The Best - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Culture Is The Best (5906 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / African Culture Is Dying! / Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Culture Is The Best by gisaa(m): 7:47pm On May 20, 2007
HONESTLY,
I think Yourba culture is the best.

check out there
dressing,greeting,communication,friendly etc.
or what do u think

3 Likes

Re: Which Culture Is The Best by OmoEko1(f): 7:53pm On May 20, 2007
You are so right

Yoruba rockkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kiss kiss kiss

We look nice especially when we tie the head wrap with the native dress wearing a matching shoe and bag with some nice set gold jewelry.

I envy my mom when never she dresses up like that because I don't wear the native only if I have too or am forced by my mom.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Culture Is The Best by maree7(f): 7:54pm On May 20, 2007
@ gisaa

definately u are correct,,, to me, yoruba culture is the best

i mean the dressing is sooo beautiful, the music is very very nice, and dancing is cool too   cool grin

@ omo Eko

HEy gurl
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:58pm On May 20, 2007
*sighs*

and what do tend to achieve with an instigating thread like this?

You know very well the other tribes are gonna come along and start and then a dumb fight over the best culture will begin.
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by OmoEko1(f): 8:01pm On May 20, 2007
maree7:

@ gisaa

definately u are correct,,, to me, yoruba culture is the best

i mean the dressing is sooo beautiful, the music is very very nice, and dancing is cool too cool grin

@ omo Eko

HEy girl
Hey gurl how u dey and are you ready for class tomm wink

Yea oh there is need to start arguing because it's the truth, Yoruba culture dressing and music are really nice and cute.
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by maree7(f): 8:06pm On May 20, 2007
everybody shud be free to give their own opinion about any culture, so there's no need for argument

not everything yourba ppl do i agree with but, i must confess Yoruba culture is very Rich. grin

@ Omo eko

shocked wow u starting skool tmr, i still have one more week Thank God cheesy

1 Like

Re: Which Culture Is The Best by OmoEko1(f): 8:09pm On May 20, 2007
Yes oh everyone are free to say their own opinions but some people on nairaland will soon turn this thread into something negative real soon sad sad

yes oh classes start tomm and i have two cry cry but will be done by 2.35
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ghettochyk(f): 8:10pm On May 20, 2007
ONCE AGAIN, ANOTHER STUPID THREAD.

How do you determine "the best culture"?
what is the criteria?

you, gisaa, are very ethnocentric.
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ghettochyk(f): 8:13pm On May 20, 2007
a yoruba or any other person may think s/he looks good in their traditional attire while someone from anoda cultural upbringing may think it's hideous.
and i'm sure those east africans with lip plates think they look real good with the plates but someone else from anoda cultural upbringing may beg to differ. hence, dis thread is just stupid. NO CULTURE IS THE BEST!!!
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by maree7(f): 8:15pm On May 20, 2007
u can determine which culture is best it is your own opinion, but it might not be the same for another person.

somebody might not like ur opinion but sorry they  have to face it and let it go.  tongue grin

@ Omo Eko

yea i have 2 classes from 8- 2:30,  but it starts next week
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ghettochyk(f): 8:18pm On May 20, 2007
whatever. wink
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by OmoEko1(f): 8:22pm On May 20, 2007
Well well well I was already expecting this negative comment sooner or later nor am I surprise. angry angry

I think every individual has a right to their own opinions, however do not think this thread is stupid wink.

lucky you but your vacation will soon be over smiley smiley
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ghettochyk(f): 8:27pm On May 20, 2007
it's good you expect it, and yes, you can call it negative or positive, which ever pleases you, but at least i'ma say it how it is and i'm sure that you probably thot the same somewhere in your mind to make you expect it. at least we can agree that no edo will say igbo, or igbo say yoruba, or yoruba say hausa, or ghanaian say nigerian, if we know that basically everyone would pick their own culture on no particular basis, then what's the point? has anyone here studied and compared every culture all around the world?
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by OmoEko1(f): 8:32pm On May 20, 2007
the has anyone here studied and compared every culture all around the world?
Yes have taken classes on Italian, Russian and German cultures and truth to be said my culture is way better. wink
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ghettochyk(f): 8:37pm On May 20, 2007
ghettochyk:

has anyone here studied and compared [size=16pt]every[/size] culture all around the world?

i guess you missed it again. i said EVERY culture. so if the question was: amongst the Italian, German, Yoruba, and Russian cultures, which is the best? and your answer is "Yoruba", and if the yoruba culture is indeed the best, on what criteria would that and your answer be based on? and do you think any of those groups up there would agree with you? wink
let me add this also: no amount of studying of any culture outside of your own can make you understand it COMPLETELY. especially not any class room study dats only quaters or semesters long. besides, when studying any culture, you are bound to bring a little bit of ethnocentric ideals into it.
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ebeledi(m): 5:30am On May 21, 2007
no culture is really the best but the igbo culture to me is the most unique
i mean how many cultures do you know who never had kings and were able to establish calendars, math, bank loans, etc.

while all other cultures invaded other lands the igbo were always calm with their own land and lived as one people

well i guess to me igbo culture is beautiful
but who ever started this thread is very ignorant and insecure

1 Like

Re: Which Culture Is The Best by laudate: 1:19pm On May 21, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

*sighs*

and what do tend to achieve with an instigating thread like this?

You know very well the other tribes are going to come along and start and then a dumb fight over the best culture will begin.

You are so right!!  sad

EVERY single tribe or ethnic group has its' good, bad & ugly sides.

There is no culture in Nigeria that doesn't have something good in it, that is worth celebrating.

Look at the Edo cultural attire for example. Those beaded head gears are just so beautiful. So are their bronze works. Check out the Igbo cultural displays, (e.g. the Atilogwu dancers) and their flutes. Wonderful, I tell you. Just like their proverbs. Look at the Efik cultural dress & their women. Amazing. Whenever I see a fully robed Efik or Ibibio man, the word 'regal,' always springs to mind. Their food, nko? You wan try? Once you have tatsed their delicious Edikainkong, afang etc. with pounded yam, ah, you will ask for a second round, over & over again.  kiss

Then look at the Yoruba outfits & music. Those talking drums are something else. Don't let me even go into detail. Every event has its own proverbs & lessons. Then go to the North. Those Fulani girls in their belly-baring traditional clothes, are a sight to behold. The cold fura in their calabashes are tasty.The Babariga worn by their men, has become one of the most widely copied outfits, in Nigeria today. The intricate embroidery on each one, is a beautiful sight.

Erm, let me stop here. Talking about my country often makes me emotional.  cry

1 Like

Re: Which Culture Is The Best by laudate: 1:21pm On May 21, 2007
ebeledi:

no culture is really the best but the igbo culture to me is the most unique
i mean how many cultures do you know who never had kings and were able to establish calendars, math, bank loans, etc.

Er, so where did the 'Obi' & 'Eze' titles come from then, if they never had kings?

1 Like

Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:11pm On May 21, 2007
laudate:

Er, so where did the 'Obi' & 'Eze' titles come from then, if they never had kings?

Lol. I was gonna ask the same.
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ebeledi(m): 9:35pm On May 21, 2007
well the igbo people i know always say there everyone is a king in igbo land
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ebeledi(m): 9:42pm On May 21, 2007
igbo enwe eze is a traditional phrase in igbo culture that means the igbo have no king, straight from the heartland
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:36pm On May 21, 2007
Dude, you still havent answered our question
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by laudate: 4:55pm On May 22, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Dude, you still havent answered our question

Ebeledi, we are waiting o! wink
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ebeledi(m): 11:32pm On May 22, 2007
i thought i answeresd the question from the phrase i gave but traditional igbo culture has no kings
they were had organized councils that dealt with the society apart from the nri society which is where the term eze came

i might be wrong but this is what my mom told me who is from anambra
please give me the right info if im wrong
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by laudate: 10:15am On May 23, 2007
ebeledi:

i thought i answeresd the question from the phrase i gave but traditional igbo culture has no kings
they were had organized councils that dealt with the society apart from the nri society which is where the term eze came

Kindly be more explicit, please. You claim they did not have kings but organised councils, where the Eze came from? Isn't Eze the Igbo word for 'king'? Or am I missing something here?
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by mohadana: 3:45pm On May 23, 2007
ijaw. D
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ebeledi(m): 9:10pm On May 23, 2007
i am confused laudate i have answered the question completely i dont understand where you are confused about

read the post again o

i know b lie
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by ghettochyk(f): 6:27pm On May 28, 2007
ebeledi, you may be right because i also found info supporting your claims.

PRE-COLONIAL LIFE OF NDI IGBO
i'll also see if i can find more stuff from anoda source.
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by MP007(m): 12:38pm On May 29, 2007
we cant say that a culture is better than another because each culture is self sustaining within its own beliefs and values,
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by omogenaija(f): 8:10pm On May 29, 2007
every culture is the best,
angry angry
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by YOUNGDICEs(m): 2:07pm On Jul 30, 2007
hausa
Re: Which Culture Is The Best by grafikdon: 12:23am On Aug 03, 2007
laudate:

Kindly be more explicit, please. You claim they did not have kings but organised councils, where the Eze came from? Isn't Eze the Igbo word for 'king'? Or am I missing something here?

Yes eze can be interpreted as 'King' but the function of 'Eze' is parallel to those of a 'King' in the right sense of the word. It is more often an insignificant title with no special privilege. An elder or a priest has the same power as the so called 'Eze',this is the reason why the so called Eze can only put his ideas on the table for debate, just like any elder,priest or member of the daughters of the soil (Umu Ada). The Igbo system of government is democratic in nature and gives no room for central power or tyranny. No man has absolute power, no man can tell others to dance to their tune. Wherever decisions that affect the community are involved, EVERYTHING has to pass through the due process of deliberation and voting. Although the council of elders and Daughters of the soil (Umu ada) are prominent in decision making, the entire community is often invited to contribute.

Igbo people have no kings in the right sense of the word, they never did, not even one community can lay claim to such, well, with the exception of Onitsha with their Obi but a close examination will reveal that even he may not be in the exact line as an actual 'King'. Their (Igbo) system of government is the same, from Igbo Ukwu to Arochukwu. Bear in mind that we are talking about 'King' in terms of function, king in the right sense and not some insignificant title given to someone with no more political power than an elder, priest, warriror, etc. The whole system went down hill (not entirely but partially) when the British imposed warrant chiefs on the Igbos; an act that sparked an outrage from people who are alien to the concept of imposing someone on them irrespective of his moral standing; someone that will control them and suppress their opinion, no matter how credible.

Igbo Enwe Eze (Igbo people have no kings) is a term derived from their system of government. This positive term term is often misinterpreted by the 'uninformed' as 'anarchy'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet The New OBA Of Benin First Son (photo) / The Most Influential Ethnic Group In Nigeria. / Igbos Have The Best Culture And Tradition In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.