Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,887 members, 7,814,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. (4699 Views)

Car Wants To Overheat / My Car Wants To Send Me Back To My Village Due To Endless Overheating Trouble / Help!! This Car Was Stolen In Onitsha This Morning (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by J0hnTrevolt(m): 7:57pm On Oct 14, 2019
Motor gurus plz epp me oo! My car yaff started gulping fuel again ooo!
It's a Toyota avalon 2002. V6. 250K miles. The fuel consumption is now outrageous that I buy 4k fuel every day instead of normal 1k fuel usage each day.
I've scanned vehicle severally and it brought out p1135 code. I ordered the sensor from Amazon and put and the code kept showing. No improvement atoll in fuel economy. I disconnected my battery terminal and put it back no check engine lights but fuel consumption is still overboard.
Dunno what to do ooo! My car drives like jet, no issues at all just the fuel consumption.
I'm supposed to be doing 18 mpg but unfortunately I'm doing 8 mpg.
All moto gurus plz epp me ooo I lo e this car and dnt wanna sell now. Plz.
Cc radautoworks, GAZZUZZ, MotorGuru

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:56pm On Oct 14, 2019
Fake Chinese parts are also sold on Amazon. I am sure you bought the cheapest one you could find.

Is the code still present?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by radautoworks: 9:54pm On Oct 14, 2019
J0hnTrevolt:
Motor gurus plz epp me oo! My car yaff started gulping fuel again ooo!
It's a Toyota avalon 2002. V6. 250K miles. The fuel consumption is now outrageous that I buy 4k fuel every day instead of normal 1k fuel usage each day.
I've scanned vehicle severally and it brought out p1135 code. I ordered the sensor from Amazon and put and the code kept showing. No improvement atoll in fuel economy. I disconnected my battery terminal and put it back no check engine lights but fuel consumption is still overboard.
Dunno what to do ooo! My car drives like jet, no issues at all just the fuel consumption.
I'm supposed to be doing 18 mpg but unfortunately I'm doing 8 mpg.
All moto gurus plz epp me ooo I lo e this car and dnt wanna sell now. Plz.
Cc radautoworks, GAZZUZZ, MotorGuru

Catalytic converter messed with?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by inas911(m): 11:08pm On Oct 14, 2019
Following... cheesy cheesy
Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by J0hnTrevolt(m): 2:18am On Oct 15, 2019
radautoworks:

I doubt. If messed with, will car still be moving smoothly, soundless and no smoke becos my car drives perfectly well.
Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by J0hnTrevolt(m): 2:19am On Oct 15, 2019
tensazangetsu20:
Fake Chinese parts are also sold on Amazon. I am sure you bought the cheapest one you could find.

Is the code still present?
Not showing at the moment but I know it's going to trigger check engine light again. I just disconnected the battery head to clear it.
Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by boldx(m): 2:23am On Oct 15, 2019
J0hnTrevolt:
I doubt. If messed with, will car still be moving smoothly, soundless and no smoke becos my car drives perfectly well.
Bros, do not be defensive. Go and check if your car still has catalytic converter as radautoworks said.

In addition, did you remove your radiator thermostat? It is also a prime suspect.

2 Likes

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by jodeci(m): 3:18am On Oct 15, 2019
But some folks argued that removal of catalytic converter would improve fuel economy rather than worsen it.

1 Like

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by seanfer(m): 3:29am On Oct 15, 2019
jodeci:
But some folks argued that removal of catalytic converter would improve fuel economy rather than worsen it.

Maybe that works for Toyota Datsun 120y 1976 model.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:40am On Oct 15, 2019
seanfer:

Maybe that works for Toyota Datsun 120y 1976 model.
A catalytic converter doesn't affect fuel economy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by Nobody: 8:17am On Oct 15, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Correct. But does the Catalytic Converter Affect Fuel Economy? Catalytic converters are part of a car's exhaust system that reduce the amount of nitrous oxide produced by burning fuel. When working properly the converter should not affect fuel economy, but it can if it becomes clogged or damaged. Source itstillruns
Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by TRYGO(m): 8:19am On Oct 15, 2019
That's a huge money been spent son fuel consumption here.

Here's a brief.

That sensor, measures the volume of oxygen in the system, and converts that in some sort of voltage values for the ECU to use in order to attained a set air/fuel ratio balance. If the ECU sees less oxygen in the system from the O2S, it would command an increase in the injector pulse width(prolonged fuel supply):rich system.

This code tells you the ECU isn't seeing the right air/fuel ratios for it to correctly operate the car.

So replacing that sensor didn't work, because, either you got the FAKE PARTS, OR THERE'S ABSOLUTELY A SHORT OR AN OPEN CIRCUIT PROBLEM WITH THE oxygen sensor wiring harnesses to the ECU itself.

NOTE: I have had issues like this too. Only replaced that sensor with a DENSO MADE. Any other one, would trigger that code.

Asks your electrician to look at those probable causes first! At least sensor replacement has being eliminated.

Trace those wires from the sensor to the ECU. It could be that the wire from the sensor close to the exhaust manifold has chamfered, and failed.

If all the above fails, then its time to do the following:

1. There could be other things causing the fuel consumption issues, apart from the O2S.
How's your air filter quality like? Terribly dirty, or...?Have you had it replaced since you owned that car?

A clogged filter is like when one's nostrils are blocked. The volume of oxygen you inhale/exhale, becomes insufficient, and that leads to problems (heart beat increases, since it tries to supply enough oxygen to cope with the demands ).

2. Removed your spark plugs and inspect. If they are worn out, replaced them all!

3. Is/are your radiator fans connected directly with the ignition system's circuitry? Does it come on immediately the ignition is turned ON?

4. Any signs of fuel leaks on the car? Sometimes, leaks do happens, that you may not be aware of. Any petrol smell?

5. How's your cars engine temperature? Late OCI on cars would increased friction on internal engine parts, which leads to increased engine loads, and then an increased in fuel consumption.
Any problems you've observed with your accessory pulleys? Any of them sticking or making awful noises(compressor, etc).?

PS: Here's an appeal to car owners with code readers.
Having a code reader read for trouble codes, does not equate to fixing a problem by replacing parts.
Code readers are there to narrow down the likely areas where you need to troubleshoot.

Hope this gives you some succour.

Regards,
Joseph

13 Likes

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 15, 2019
Trygo leave us with our code readers o

2 Likes

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by TRYGO(m): 8:24am On Oct 15, 2019
Smart! You're perfectly right with your postulations about Catcon. I have seen that too.

Its the oxygen sensors that are responsible for the air/fuel ratios. A distortion in any of their readings, would impact heavily on fuel economy.

In my view, I would never replaced my catalytic converter, if it wasn't blocked, or degraded. Reasonable thing would be to take a look at the O2S. Sometimes, code readers don't just bring the codes up.

Hehe he! I didn't say you should throw them away na. Its still helpful. My concerns are people thinking using a code reader, and retrieving codes, absolutely means replacing parts to solve a problem.

1 Like

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by radautoworks: 8:49am On Oct 15, 2019
jodeci:

They know nothing Jon Snow

1 Like

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by radautoworks: 8:50am On Oct 15, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

This is the first time I've been stunned negatively by something you said...
Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by radautoworks: 8:53am On Oct 15, 2019
TRYGO:

Here's a brief.

That sensor, measures the volume of oxygen in the system, and converts that in some sort of voltage values for the ECU to use in order to attained a set air/fuel ratio balance. If the ECU sees less oxygen in the system from the O2S, it would command an increase in the injector pulse width(prolonged fuel supply):rich system.

Having a code reader read for trouble codes, does not equate to fixing a problem by replacing parts.
Code readers are there to narrow down the likely areas where you need to troubleshoot.

Regards,
Joseph

A very useful list of other things to trouble shoot. My money is still on cat or the air filter. I'm sure you've seen some like we have that boggle the mind. I actually think his cat has been "packed"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by thebigkendo(m): 8:54am On Oct 15, 2019
radautoworks:

They know nothing Jon Snow

They do.. Depends on the car or manufacturer.. I know for sure on the 7th gen Accord with or without catalyst.. You still get the same MPG, the only negative is if catalyst is clogged

3 Likes

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by radautoworks: 8:55am On Oct 15, 2019
thebigkendo:

They do.. Depends on the car or manufacturer.. I know for sure on the 7th gen Accord with or without catalyst.. You still get the same MPG, the only negative is if catalyst is clogged

But... But.. you just disagreed and agreed in the same sentence... I wasn't specific. Just told him to check the state of it. That would tell what's up. Y'all assumed I said something else lol

1 Like

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by thebigkendo(m): 9:01am On Oct 15, 2019
radautoworks:

But... But.. you just disagreed and agreed in the same sentence...I wasn't specific. Just told him to check the state of it. That would tell what's up. Y'all assumed I said something else lol

What I disagreed is the "Jon Snow" part..
If his catalyst is clogged he would know from the performance.. Not just fuel economy

J0hnTrevolt:

My bet is on Sensor or electronic related... Most probably 02 sensor

1 Like

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by sacx: 9:13am On Oct 15, 2019
radautoworks:

But... But.. you just disagreed and agreed in the same sentence... I wasn't specific. Just told him to check the state of it. That would tell what's up. Y'all assumed I said something else lol

You did smiley. OP replace your car
Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:43am On Oct 15, 2019
radautoworks:

This is the first time I've been stunned negatively by something you said...

Except that it doesn't.

I've taken off the cats on both my Lexus ES330 and Infiniti G35 without any hit to fuel economy. I'm not just talking.
Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:45am On Oct 15, 2019
radautoworks:

Tbh, I assumed you were referring to the cats being removed, which shouldn't affect fuel economy.

Clogged up or damaged cats may affect mpg, though.

1 Like

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 15, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Except that it doesn't.

I've taken off the cats on both my Lexus ES330 and Infiniti G35 without any hit to fuel economy. I'm not just talking.
You should be arrested for environmental irresponsibility.

2 Likes

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:50am On Oct 15, 2019
Smartchoiice:

You should be arrested for environmental irresponsibility.

Can't hear you over the sound of this loud catless exhaust.

9 Likes

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by Nobody: 9:52am On Oct 15, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Can't hear you over the sound of this loud catless exhaust.

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by J0hnTrevolt(m): 10:37am On Oct 15, 2019
radautoworks:

A very useful list of other things to trouble shoot. My money is still on cat or the air filter. I'm sure you've seen some like we have that boggle the mind. I actually think his cat has been "packed"
Please is it this cat here or the one under the vehicle?

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by J0hnTrevolt(m): 10:39am On Oct 15, 2019
thebigkendo:

If his catalyst is clogged he would know from the performance.. Not just fuel economy

Dunno again I'm thinking of changing all the sensors. Getting the original or Belgium that will work is a problem. Different mech's say my car is fine but they r not the one buying excessive fuel.
Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by J0hnTrevolt(m): 10:47am On Oct 15, 2019
TRYGO:

Here's a brief.

This code tells you the ECU isn't seeing the right air/fuel ratios for it to correctly operate the car.

So replacing that sensor didn't work, because, either you got the FAKE PARTS, OR THERE'S ABSOLUTELY A SHORT OR AN OPEN CIRCUIT PROBLEM WITH THE oxygen sensor wiring harnesses to the ECU itself.

NOTE: I have had issues like this too. Only replaced that sensor with a DENSO MADE. Any other one, would trigger that code.

Asks your electrician to look at those probable causes first! At least sensor replacement has being eliminated.

Trace those wires from the sensor to the ECU. It could be that the wire from the sensor close to the exhaust manifold has chamfered, and failed.

If all the above fails, then its time to do the following:

1. There could be other things causing the fuel consumption issues, apart from the O2S.
How's your air filter quality like? Terribly dirty, or...?Have you had it replaced since you owned that car?

A clogged filter is like when one's nostrils are blocked. The volume of oxygen you inhale/exhale, becomes insufficient, and that leads to problems (heart beat increases, since it tries to supply enough oxygen to cope with the demands ).

2. Removed your spark plugs and inspect. If they are worn out, replaced them all!

3. Is/are your radiator fans connected directly with the ignition system's circuitry? Does it come on immediately the ignition is turned ON?

4. Any signs of fuel leaks on the car? Sometimes, leaks do happens, that you may not be aware of. Any petrol smell?

5. How's your cars engine temperature? Late OCI on cars would increased friction on internal engine parts, which leads to increased engine loads, and then an increased in fuel consumption.
Any problems you've observed with your accessory pulleys? Any of them sticking or making awful noises(compressor, etc).?

Regards,
Joseph
I'm grateful sir. However, airfilter, DENSO spark plugs has been comfirmed OK. Radiator fan is not connected directly. My vehicle is still in manufacturer state. My Kazeem will only drop hydraulic on the sensor when is hot to test if it's working or not and he'll say they r ok. Plz which of the sensors needs replacement cos I'm thinking of changing all sensors.
Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by J0hnTrevolt(m): 10:50am On Oct 15, 2019
Please can someone enlighten me on how many sensors my car uses? I know of two. Not sure tho. Toyota avalon 2002 v6
Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by EngRichie: 12:00pm On Oct 15, 2019
Please! Catcon gutting or blockage can negatively affect fuel economy. It depends on the car.

1 Like

Re: This Car Wants To Send Me To The Village. by radautoworks: 6:30pm On Oct 15, 2019
thebigkendo:

Why is there no thumbs up icon angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Warning / What Is First Thing To Come Up When Starting Your Car, Radiator Fan Or Engine? / Bluetooth ELM327 Won't Work With Dashcommand (fixed)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.