Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,732 members, 7,820,538 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Why Are You Driving Manual gear? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are You Driving Manual gear? (14408 Views)

Changing Manual Gear To Auto(need Advice) / Automatic Vs Manual Gear In Bmw / Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by dustydee: 4:13pm On Nov 09, 2010
VPersie:

Whenever I am having sex with my friends, I usually last for about an hour and a half. However, my friends last longer (usualluy 2 hours) natuarally. What can I do to keep up with their sexual performance levels?

NDLEA should totally eliminate the use of drugs in this country.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by kokoye(m): 4:21pm On Nov 09, 2010
otokx:

That is what i have for now.

thank you ojare.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by beneezy(m): 4:27pm On Nov 09, 2010
Driving Manual transmission is like doing Engineering Drawing with Drawing Board, Set Square and co. But AutoDrive is like drawing with CAD. You can do more with little effort.
Auto any day!
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by sandee575(f): 4:42pm On Nov 09, 2010
Apart for the reason of affordability, noone should be caught driving a manual transmission car in this
age. The advantages of an automatic far outweigh the manual and such excuses as being able to push-start
a manual car lacks ambition and it doesnt speak well of the person generally. Speed enthusiasts now have boosters
incorporated into the automatic when rapid acceleration is desired above what the normal position would deliver to the pedal.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by seyibrown(f): 4:49pm On Nov 09, 2010
VPersie:
Whenever I am having sex with my friends, I usually last for about an hour and a half. However, my friends last longer (usualluy 2 hours) natuarally. What can I do to keep up with their sexual performance levels?

I prescribe a car with manual transmission. Perhaps, it will improve your performance! grin
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Ifedisky(m): 4:56pm On Nov 09, 2010
It was manual for me cos that was what I learned with and I jst couldnt stop moving my hand on the knob, that was until I moved to Badore and encountered monster traffic. Just ask anyone living in Lekki/ Ajah, driving a manual transmission will send you to an early grave
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by beneezy(m): 5:15pm On Nov 09, 2010
This is 2010.
With Auto transmission grannies could actually drive themselves to the hospital is there is an emergency.
Kick. Drive and go!
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by kokoye(m): 5:18pm On Nov 09, 2010
I was once in a go slow for almost 16hours (2005). I just thank God I wasnt driving manual.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Jarus(m): 5:21pm On Nov 09, 2010
Ifedisky:

It was manual for me cos that was what I learned with and I jst couldnt stop moving my hand on the knob, that was until I moved to Badore and encountered monster traffic. Just ask anyone living in Lekki/ Ajah, driving a manual transmission will send you to an early grave
Even with my Auto, I cannot drive to work 3 consecutive days on this road without falling sick. I can't remember the last time I drove to work. Staff bus does it for me.
It's one hell of a road.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by hawley(m): 5:36pm On Nov 09, 2010
Ikenna351:

I drive and choose Manual over auto trans with various reasons below:

FOR FUN:
Til tomorrow, I derive a lot of pleasure driving stick cars. Its something I cant really explain. Most especially with powerfull engine propelled vehicles like cars with V6 engines. You get the complete power of V6 engine on the wheels via manual. Like I said, you will feel the fun while the car is in motion. In fact, V6 autos with manual trans drives or goes like ROCKETS!! cool

RELIABILITY:
Its world wide known that manual trans are very reliable Units. We do have electrical failures on our vehicles all the time. Its inevitable, no matter how new your car is. Battery can fail anytime, likewise Alternator and Starter. With Manual tranny, you can always Jerk-start the car, to take you home or nearest auto worksop. You wont be stranded on highway when your battery or starter suddenly fails.

DURABILITY:
I prefer manual trans because of its durability. Even with less maintenance, it can outlive the car itself. I dont remember ever draining and refilling the gear oil. All I do is to top up if there is a leakage, which is very easy, simple  and cheaper to fix. Manual trans does not select oil grades like auto does, as long as there is oil inside, carry go!! Cost of maintaining manual trans is very very low.

ABSOLUTE CONTROL:
Ahh!! This is where I love manual like , Being in total/absolute control of the car, how you want it to move, stop, rev while in motion, etc. You need to drive one to understand!

Correct!
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by chidyke77(m): 5:50pm On Nov 09, 2010
Phate07:

Manual gives you more control and flexibility. With manaul, you are the king!
wink
may be u hvn't drive auto or just that u dnt hv d resources. Hw cn u be suffering and smiling? or may be u re used to that.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by chidyke77(m): 5:55pm On Nov 09, 2010
sandee575:

Apart for the reason of affordability, noone should be caught driving a manual transmission car in this
age. The advantages of an automatic far outweigh the manual and such excuses as being able to push-start
a manual car lacks ambition and it doesnt speak well of the person generally. Speed enthusiasts now have boosters
incorporated into the automatic when rapid acceleration is desired above what the normal position would deliver to the pedal.
dnt mind them,if u buy one auto and gv them u wl see hw the wl condemn their manual.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 09, 2010
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Muza(m): 6:45pm On Nov 09, 2010
.why are u manual ethusiasists talkin like this,its like most of you dont know that u can down-shift and kick-down with auto.

As i have said auto any day,anytime.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Spyker: 7:04pm On Nov 09, 2010
If you are still driving manual car, that means you are driving an old school car.
The entire world has gone beyond manual transmission, even luxury buses and trucks are now on automatic.
If not for poverty, i don't see anyone, i mean any person drive manual vehicles.

IMHO, automatic car gives me enough rest during long distance and also relaxation when faced with a chaotic traffic jam.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by aieromon(m): 7:10pm On Nov 09, 2010
Try driving a manual car in Lagos traffic and see if you don't experience muscle cramps.If i had a choice,i'd choose auto anyday.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 09, 2010
Auto is better in Lagos and either Manual or Auto is better in Abuja
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Ikenna351(m): 7:25pm On Nov 09, 2010
Spyker:

If you are still driving manual car, that means you are driving an old school car.
The entire world has gone beyond manual transmission, even luxury buses and trucks are now on automatic.
If not for poverty, i don't see anyone, i mean any person drive manual vehicles.

IMHO, automatic car gives me enough rest during long distance and also relaxation when faced with a chaotic traffic jam.

Hmm!! What a lazy world we have today, with this auto trans enthusiast!

chidyke77:

may be u hvn't drive auto or just that u dnt hv d resources. Hw cn u be suffering and smiling? or may be u re used to that.

What makes you think its all about resources/affordability? See, am a Peugeot 505 enthusiast. I just paid for 505 V6 5-speed manual transmission. Not because I can't afford to buy one of these plastics, but because I went for what I want. I dont have to buy a car to please/impress the on-lookers, I bought that car to please myself. The car is MACHINE cool cool What I spent in buying that car could as well buy ONE OF these plastics on our road.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by yomalex(m): 7:43pm On Nov 09, 2010
What is driving without shifting gear ?
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by UNLEASHED(m): 7:49pm On Nov 09, 2010
I drive manual car mainly because of the stunts, and it's so easy to maintain, I feel like a crippled man anytime i drive automatic cars
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by kabukabu50(m): 7:50pm On Nov 09, 2010
Ikenna351:

Hmm!! What a lazy world we have today, with this auto trans enthusiast!

What makes you think its all about resources/affordability? See, am a Peugeot 505 enthusiast. I just paid for 505 V6 5-speed manual transmission. Not because I can't afford to buy one of these plastics called Japenese autos, but because I went for what I want. I dont have to buy a car to please/impress the on-lookers,  I bought that car to please myself. The car is MACHINE cool cool What I spent in buying that car could as well buy ONE OF these plastics on our road.

Lol Japan has brought the world some of the best high performance cars like the Nissan Skyline,Toyota celica gt four/supra,Nissan 350/370ZX,Mitsubishi Evolution/Subaru WRX STi,Mitsubishi 3000 GT,Acura NSX,RSX,Integra type R,Mitsubishi Eclipse and Mazdaspeed 3,RX 7.

What great cars has France made??Peugeot 505? grin grin grin grin lmao
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Ikenna351(m): 7:58pm On Nov 09, 2010
kabukabu50:

Lol Japan has brought the world some of the best high performance cars like the Nissan Skyline,Toyota celica gt four/supra,Nissan 350/370ZX,Mitsubishi Evolution/Subaru WRX STi,Mitsubishi 3000 GT,Acura NSX,RSX,Integra type R,Mitsubishi Eclipse and Mazdaspeed 3,RX 7.

What great cars has France made??Peugeot 505? grin grin grin grin lmao

Have you ever driven PRV engine powered auto in your life? I guess you have never done that because of your post.

Fortunaly, am not a Front-Wheel-Drive fan. Those of us that drive Rear Wheel Drive European V6 autos, know the treasure we have others dont.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by emmatok(m): 8:09pm On Nov 09, 2010
SOME SPORT CARS still comes with  Manual transmission  because you can control the car's acceleration on difficult and curvy roads.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Abayomin70(m): 8:15pm On Nov 09, 2010
manual is d best i will go for it any time even my first will be manual cause when drivin manual is jus lik u are playin wit a TOY but hav not drive automatic before in my life
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by ocee87: 8:30pm On Nov 09, 2010
i Drive a manual because it's fun. But i never let an auto gear take my fun away. Auto is as much fun as manual if not more. Let me let u in on my secrect.

An auto gear generally looks like this

P P
R R
N N
D D
3 3
2 2
1 or L

Starting off with D makes the car control you, Start off with L or 1, Rev it up to 5000 revs before you up shift to 2 and so on. When you've gotten to D, your auto car would be flying. If you need to overtake just downshift to 3 or 2 and watch your car do the overtaking of the century. For now i'm stuck with a manual but i'm loving it. My next ride would be an auto with a V6 or V8 Engine. They cant control me. Never.

For those who would try this method of driving, you'll really feel in control. And you can thank me later wink

My 2 cents

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Phate07(m): 8:55pm On Nov 09, 2010
chidyke77:

Whats the diss all about bro? The topic clearly said in emphatatic terms that one should state the type he/she likes, with reasons. Its not about affordability or cost. Comprendré? angry

BTW, the fact that this is an online environ does not give you the right to be rude to any person. State your own opinion nicely, cos you dont know who you might be trying to poke fun at. Hope we understand each other.
angry
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by hawley(m): 9:35pm On Nov 09, 2010
ocee87:

i Drive a manual because it's fun. But i never let an auto gear take my fun away. Auto is as much fun as manual if not more. Let me let u in on my secrect.

An auto gear generally looks like this

P P
R R
N N
D D
3 3
2 2
1 or L

Starting off with D makes the car control you, Start off with L or 1, Rev it up to 5000 revs before you up shift to 2 and so on. When you've gotten to D, your auto car would be flying. If you need to overtake just downshift to 3 or 2 and watch your car do the overtaking of the century. For now i'm stuck with a manual but i'm loving it. My next ride would be an auto with a V6 or V8 Engine. They cant control me. Never.

For those who would try this method of driving, you'll really feel in control. And you can thank me later wink

My 2 cents

Interesting.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Nov 09, 2010
Why do I prefer to drive a manual?

I'm a die-hard car enthusiast. I find driving an automatic, takes the fun out of driving. I don't like a car to drive me, I like being in control, and that's where manual comes in. It appears to be a Nigerian thing, whereby if you drive a manual, it means you're suffering, you can't afford an automatic etc. I beg to differ! In Britain, in the used market, even a two-year-old car, especially sporty ones, manuals command a higher premium. I run a 2002 Audi A4 3,0L Quattro Tiptronic. When I bought it, I was looking for a manual, but manuals were at least £2,000 more! Manuals are more in demand.

As I'm in the automobile trade, it's no big deal converting my car to a 6-speed manual. I have all the parts at hand to do the job, and enjoy the challenge. Besides the driver involvement, there are several other reasons why I prefer manual.

1) More control over the car, engine braking being one of them. An automatic doesn't offer engine braking.
2) Longer service life (heat and long times spent in traffic are killers of autos).
3) Better gas mileage.
4) Brake pads and discs last longer on a manual, especially the fronts.
5) Suspension components last longer on a manual (an equivalent automatic model is up to 33% heavier).
6) If you have a flat battery, or lazy starter motor, you can bump start, with an auto, you'll be stranded.
7) Manuals are sporty - how many Motorsport teams run autos? Some have come to a compromise with Tiptronic / DSG, which offers a degree of manual control, but still not favoured in the Motorsport world.

There are more reasons. I'm giving these examples not from an emotional point of view, but purely from an engineer's experience. I've fitted quite a few auto replacement boxes, with regards to manual, very few. Sure, auto's cost more new, there's a lot more R&grin involved. The torque convertor in an auto allows a lot of "slip", not much different to a manual with a worn-out clutch. Which is why it takes time for the road speed in an auto to match engine revs. And this gives rise to more fuel being burnt.

I will not like to stick with an auto, if I had to pay someone else to do repairs. To enjoy an automatic to the full, you'll have to at least be handy with the spanners, and do your own wrenching. In a nation like Nigeria, with "bodge-it-and-scarper" tinkerers masquerading as engineers, that's the least place I'd own an auto, if I wasn't in the trade, and able to do my own repairs.

The morale? Both auto and manual have their fans, I just happen to be firmly in the manual camp. And some will prefer to stick with autos, and let their cars drive them. No big deal!

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by xammy(m): 10:00pm On Nov 09, 2010
Affordable
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by kabukabu50(m): 10:37pm On Nov 09, 2010
Ikenna351:

Have you ever driven PRV engine powered auto in your life? I guess you have never done that because of your post.

Fortunaly, am not a Front-Wheel-Drive fan. Those of us that drive Rear Wheel Drive European V6 autos, know the treasure we have others dont.

You can have your Peugeot 505 V6, I'll take Rear wheel drive,V8 tire shredding monsters like the Japanese Supra and Detroit built muscle car like the Trans Am.

Your 505 spits out less than 200hp, versus over 400 hp on tuned versions of these rides grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by hackney(m): 11:01pm On Nov 09, 2010
Automatic all the way for nigerian driving.

Nigerian roads (except in Abuja) require too much gear shifting due to the pot-holes, erratic traffice
and mad drivers on the roads.

Manual is more fun sha.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Ikenna351(m): 11:14pm On Nov 09, 2010
kabukabu50:

You can have your Peugeot 505 V6, I'll take Rear wheel drive,V8 tire shredding monsters like the Japanese Supra and Detroit built muscle car like the Trans Am.

Your 505 spits out less than 200hp, versus over 400 hp on tuned versions of these rides grin grin grin grin grin grin

Is not just about power alone. Reliability, durability, parts availability, good road handling and friendly, thats whats matters when you are choosing a long distance vehicle that will give you more than 10 years trouble-free service. I will not have rest of mind if am travling with Mustang 400Hp from maidugri to Awka, in the East, knowing fully well that I will be terribly stranded, if common fan belt breaks on the highway, because I know I can only find it in Lagos or Abuja. Then, how do you expect me to toll the vehicle, if it happens in Lokoja and to where? Peugeot 505 V6 is less electrical, and can be easily diagnossed, even by the owner. But tell me, Who on our Nigeria highways(auto-mechanics) can diagnoss electricals on such car you posted the the picture above? Common ECU's(so called brainbox by Nigerian), our auto-mechs dont even know how to to read the error codes on them. Instead they will keep beating about the bush until the car is completly grounded. And do you expect them to fix that kind of auto above, definitely full with electricals and controlled by so many Electronic Control Units (ECU) on highways? 505 V6 (French Car) and German autos are very reliable units that can give you a lot of confidence and piece of mind when using them as daily drivers and plying them 24/7 on our highways.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Filling Station Sells Good Petrol In Your Area? / How To Avoid A Head-On Collision While Driving / What To Expect At FRSC Driver's License Capturing Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.