Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? (12180 Views)

Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? / How Can One Use The Tiptronic Gear Transmission?? / Automatic Or Manual Transmission- Which Is More Practical? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by AKMoor(m): 12:34pm On Nov 23, 2007
Which one is faster:automatic or manual gear transmission?
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by boladez(m): 1:21pm On Nov 23, 2007
It depends on your handling skills!!!!!

I am a DIEHARD MANUAL GUY. I can drive manual UNDERWATER cool
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by yommy69(m): 2:46pm On Nov 23, 2007
manual dey swit now unlike automatic wey no get efisi @ all and as my guy talk it depends on ur hand skills.infact how fast u are .
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by obua: 3:37pm On Nov 23, 2007
Manual gives you the best speedwise and shifting also.
Accelearating or overtaken with an auto gear car can be very frustrating
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by gr8child(m): 3:43pm On Nov 23, 2007
Transmission time takes slightly longer in automatic cars. Manual transmission is quicker, hence greater speed. But the difference is so slight that it is only significant if you're racing professionally.

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by Ivvie: 6:07pm On Nov 27, 2007
@poster

What you've asked is equivalent to comparing two girls (for instance, Nigerian and Mexican) and asking who's smarter.
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by Ivvie: 6:15pm On Nov 27, 2007
I don't care about anyone's opinion. If you can't drive a stick shift, you cannot drive. I believe anyone residing in Lagos should have no business with automatic transmission because the roads are short and narrow as oppose to Texas where you might have to cruise an hour and a half to get to work.

obua:

Manual gives you the best speedwise and shifting also.
Accelearating or overtaken with an auto gear car can be very frustrating

To downshift, you have to floor the pedal for a higher engine speed. The purpose of the automatic trans. is to keep operating speed at low engine rpm. If you drive an auto that is underpowered, it's sister (manual) will be underpowered as well but slightly responsive since it doesn't rob the engine of 14 to 20 hp.
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by viperman: 6:24pm On Nov 27, 2007
Ivvie:

I don't care about anyone's opinion. If you can't drive a stick shift, you cannot drive. I believe anyone residing in Lagos should have no business with automatic transmission because the roads are short and narrow as oppose to Texas where you might have to cruise an hour and a half to get to work.

To downshift, you have to floor the pedal for a higher engine speed. The purpose of the automatic trans. is to keep operating speed at low engine rpm. If you drive an auto that is underpowered, it's sister (manual) will be underpowered as well but slightly responsive since it doesn't rob the engine of 14 to 20 hp.

But i disagree with you as to the fact that anyone in lagos shouldn't have anything to do with automatic; I believe that is the main reason why many in lagos should be on Auto cuz of traffic e.t.c
It's less strenuous to drive an auto as opposed to a manual in traffic.

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by Ivvie: 7:28pm On Nov 27, 2007
The primary cause of automatic transmission failure is overheating. When the auto trans. fails, you cannot fix it, what's the use. They also aren't forgiving when rebuilding, so when they go bad, you have to replace the entire unit. Manuals don't go bad and when they do, it's not hassle having it fixed. Automatic is not a good idea for heavy traffic. I have heard from many nigerians when I complain about Houston's traffic that Lagos is more than twice as worse. Auto's always have to be serviced. Some cars don't permit you to have it's transmission serviced. You'll have to cough about 9,000 for a new transmission.

Point A to B are short distances with turns and sharp corners. The ideal transmission is the manual transmission. You get the optimal lifespan of your engine since you rev above 2500 rpm before switching gears. It's also economical since gasoline efficiency is higher.

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by AKMoor(m): 10:14am On Nov 29, 2007
@Ivvie;please who is smarter,a Nigerian girl or a Mexican girl? grin
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by Ivvie: 4:55pm On Nov 29, 2007
Moor smiley wink cool,

I have no clue.
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by proo212(m): 9:13pm On Nov 29, 2007
Autos are perhaps better in start/stop traffic. A Double Sequential Gearbox (DSG) for instance is quicker than any manual gearchange will ever be and even more economical because it has 2 clutches. The gearchanges are faster keeping revs to a minimum. Even CVT boxes are more economical than manual boxes. You can read up on DSG especially if you don't believe me. The VW group pioneered it and a lot of car manufacturers are now introducing some dual clutch gearboxes in their product offerings

Modern Automatics have tiptronic function so you don't have floor the throttle to downshift. Even those without tiptronic function have 3,2,1 on them. You can downshift manually if you want.

I don't know about the Mr. Goodwrench gearboxes but the Autoboxes here especially for the European cars, once you keep them serviced, they run forever.
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by memento: 8:25pm On Nov 30, 2007
Can someone help me?? Whts d use of D3 and D4 in auot drive. Whts d difference?
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by xcolanto(m): 9:49pm On Nov 30, 2007
man its manual that does the trick!!! wen u talking of fast picking!!! auto is too lazy to pick up that fast as to manual only that manual is kinda stressful, shocked
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by Kissmyass1(m): 11:49am On Dec 10, 2007
[size=13pt]I just like manual without even knowing this facts, now I know I'll stick to manual like glue[/size]
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by Emperoh(m): 3:21pm On Dec 10, 2007
Can someone explain to me what this triptronic is all about.

I stick with my MANUAL.
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by Emperoh(m): 3:40pm On Dec 10, 2007

I stick with my MANUAL.
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by cuteyjib(m): 3:51pm On Dec 10, 2007
i fink manual coz its crazy wen u can control d sound of the engine wit d gear.
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by thegame(m): 8:36pm On Mar 07, 2008
xcolanto:

when u talking of fast picking!!! auto is too lazy to pick up that fast as to manual

I SUPPOSE YOU DON'T KNOW THE MEANING OF THE SPORTS BUTTON BESIDE THE GEAR OR ANY OTHER LOCATION IT IS PLACE AROUND YOUR GEAR.
I am not a die hard fan of auto tho but why the stress when you got something easire to ride and bytheway, what u gotta lose.

YOU NOT SURE WHICH TO CHOOSE?I am sure semi-automatic clears all y'all doubts. that's if you know how a semi automatic gear works anyway grin grin grin
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by WebJunior(m): 7:48am On Mar 08, 2008
Emperoh:

I stick with my MANUAL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptronic
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by Echeozo(m): 8:36pm On Mar 08, 2008
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 21, 2010
Manual are a lot more responsive than even the current autos, that have dual-clutch (Volkswagen-Audi's DSG) and Tiptronic (pioneered by Porsche). Yes, knocking the stick back in autos will induce a slightly faster pick-up speed, it's still no match for a regular manual, with dry clutch. There's no lag, as you'd get with a torque-converter in an automatic.

Fuel economy's also worse with an auto, as it places more load upon the engine, slips a lot, and generally robs the engine of available power. Yes, servicing an automatic regularly will prolong the life of the unit, but compared to manuals, which are virtually maintenance-free, they are a waste. Nothing as good as being in charge of a car, rather than the car being in charge of you.

2 Likes

Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by hustler2(m): 11:52am On Sep 21, 2010
Why asking this question at all You can't compare a manual drive of any car to auto of the same car, autos where originally made for handicaps, lol just kidding, But manual are the cars while is just there for the sake of lazy driving, manuals are way faster than auto beyond compare

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by obojo(m): 4:17pm On Sep 21, 2010
y d huge bump??

abeg manual cars are stressful and are getting extinct,
Imagine being stuck in traffic with it, every single day going to work, or on a hill.

The only reason y people buy manual cars in nigeria is because they couldn't afford the automatic of the same car period,
Then they try to convince people that it was by choice undecided
if its a sport or racing car fine it can be manual
for a daily driver, I cant be caught dead with a stick shift man, Auto all d way
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Sep 21, 2010
obojo:

y d huge bump??

abeg manual cars are stressful and are getting extinct,
Imagine being stuck in traffic with it, every single day going to work, or on a hill.

The only reason y people buy manual cars in nigeria is because they couldn't afford the automatic of the same car period,
Then they try to convince people that it was by choice undecided
if its a sport or racing car fine it can be manual
for a daily driver, I cant be caught dead with a stick shift man, Auto all d way

Nothing to do with cost. Some models, you pay a premium to have a manual. I'm a manual guy, and it's not because I can't afford an automatic. As a matter of fact, if you follow my project thread, you'll see I'm converting my Audi A4 3,0L Quattro from Tiptronic to 6-speed manual. Why didn't I buy a manual to begin with? Because, the same car with a 6-speed manual cost £1,250 - £2,000 more in the used car market.

As for finding hill starts difficult, that's more to do with the inability to grasp the driving concept. It's called "clutch control", something all good drivers should be able to get to grips with. What did drivers that swear by automatics do before autos were less wide spread than they are today?

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by obojo(m): 12:02am On Sep 22, 2010
90%of cars have their auto tranny more expensive dan manual and 90% of the manual car drivers in nigeria are forced to drive it cause of the price. maybe you fall among the 10%. You can do a survey on nl and see. luxury cars hardly come in a manual option. And clutch control doesnt have anything to do with the stress and leg pains you will face when driving a manual car in traffic on a hill, Even sport cars now come in a clutchless manual transmission that have all the advantages of manual and the comfort of an automatic, clutch is getting extinct!!
come and drive from vgc to vi everyday with a manual car. They wont tell you twice before you sell it.
The long and short is that the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages, The stress is not worth it

ask people dat drive a brand new manual kia,honda,hyundai or toyota in nigeria, most got it cause it was cheaper
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by ibdguy: 12:50am On Sep 22, 2010
Although the original posters question was to do with which in auto and manual transmissions was faster, not surprisingly this has turned into a bit of a 'which is the better between the two' thread.
I own a manual car. Actually my car is a bit of an anomally as most of the used imports for my '99-2002 Accord are normally autos.
I love the in-control feel that manuals give you, and have never owned an automatic, though I have obviously driven them on occasion. From my perspective, I have a slight edge with my cars get up and go over other auto trans versions of the same Accord (barring the obviously bigger V6 engine that is a variant of the Accord, which would of course leave my car for dead in a straight line. Come to think of it, in any kind of line you care to imagine for that matter).
What I hate is driving a manual in traffic, or up any kind of incline. Autos are great for straight line lazy driving. Manuals are and will always be the purists preferred way of shifting a car. Any true petrol-head that tells you different is quite frankly not a true petrol head!

2 Likes

Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 22, 2010
ibdguy:

From my perspective, I have a slight edge with my cars get up and go over other auto trans versions of the same Accord (barring the obviously bigger V6 engine that is a variant of the Accord, which would of course leave my car for dead in a straight line. Come to think of it, in any line you care to imagine for that matter).

haha, so true, you hit the nail right on the line.

@oblo, autos are more expensive than manuals in Nigeria, no question
so definitely, the lower cost of the manual would attract some users

what i object to is the undertone that suggests that choosing an auto over manual confers some kind of social elevation,
for many its only about the superior driving experience you get from the manual
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by Nobody: 9:44am On Sep 22, 2010
Obojo, I don't fall amongst the 10% of those that can't afford an auto. Read, and take in - my current car is Tiptronic, which I am converting to manual. I prefer the feel, being in charge of a car, not the other way round. Ask any enthusiastic driver. Tiptronics / DSG's are a compromise to appeal to enthusiasts. Not that it's better. They cost more new, in a lot of models because they cost more to manufacture. The TCU for a lot of current models are on average between £450 - £2,000.

I've gone hill climbing, with local clubs, that have lasted over 24 hours. My leg is fine, no pain. I feel autos have robbed people of the desire to do things themselves, bearing in mind, these are the same people that drove manuals in all weathers and terrain. When cars become fully automated, suddenly no one will want to even touch the wheel, because it's "too stressful".  cheesy

Just out of curiosity I don't live in Nigeria. And your % stats - where did you get them from, or you just made them up?  wink
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by blapo(m): 11:04am On Sep 22, 2010
i switched my car with ma sis for a weekend and i totally regret doing so, manual transmission cud be frustrating if u've become used to driving Auto transmission.
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 22, 2010
BoboYekini:

what i object to is the undertone that suggests that choosing an auto over manual confers some kind of social elevation,

You've got it right there!
cheesy
Re: Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? by formebyme: 12:11pm On Sep 22, 2010
BoboYekini:

haha, so true, you hit the nail right on the line.

@oblo, autos are more expensive than manuals in Nigeria, no question
so definitely, the lower cost of the manual would attract some users

@Sienna,you need to read his post well,he said maybe you fall among the 10% that prefers manual not because its cheaper!
We know say you get money:-),

I drive a manual as well actually and just love the thrill of shifting gears and controlling my engine, cant imagine just sitting and turning navigating without shifting gear now and then, borriiiiiing cheesy but no doubt Auto is more convenient,maybe when am 70,

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To File A Complaint Against An FRSC Official / How To Register A Car In Nigeria / Asian Cars Versus European Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.