Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,722 members, 7,813,383 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:37 AM

Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) (39419 Views)

This Is Why I Don't Argue About Nigeria's Breakup / OBJ Said Nigeria's Breakup Will Lead To ''Weak Republics''. He Was Right. / Sowore's Bail Conditions Can't Be Fulfilled - Lawyer Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by Racoon(m): 3:19am On Oct 24, 2019
A former chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Attahiru Jega, on Wednesday warned that if preventive measures were not taken, the prediction on the disintegration of Nigeria will come to pass.

Jega gave the warning on Wednesday in Abuja in a keynote address he delivered at a conference on ‘20 Years of Democracy’, organised by TELL magazine.

It had been predicted in the build-up to the 2015 General Elections that Nigeria would disintegrate.
The anticipated crisis was however averted when former President Goodluck Jonathan readily accepted his loss to President Muhammadu Buhari.

“The CIA thought that 2015 was the do-or-die period for Nigeria, that there would not be a Nigeria in the way you know after the 2015 General Elections.

That has come and passed but I think if we do not take care, a lot of these predictions will come to pass.

That is why we need to do quite a lot, much more than we have ever done in order to protect the integrity of the electoral process before 2023”, Jega said.

Jega also said the deployment of soldiers and other security operatives during elections was meant to address “systemic security challenges.”

Dignitaries at the event included the Chairman of PUNCH Nigeria Limited, Mrs Angela Emuwa; Publisher of The Source magazine, Comfort Obi; and a former Chief of Staff to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, Mike Ogiadomhen.

Also at the event, the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Adams Oshiomhole, took a swipe at those he called ethnic jingoists.

Jega said, “A lot has been said about the deployment of security during elections but we should recognise the fact that in Nigeria, we are faced with systemic security challenges. The presence of security is to ensure that the people have the peace of mind to come out to vote freely.

The most important thing is to ensure that the security deployed is impartial and non-partisan.They should be professional in their conduct.”

He blamed low turnout of voters during elections on the lack of trust, saying many registered voters failed to vote.

“Perhaps, the clearest evidence of this loss of trust and confidence in the electoral process is the declining voter turnout in elections since 1999.

The reported data of voter turnout as a percentage of registered voters for elections are 52.3 per cent (1999), 69.1 per cent (2003), 57.3 per cent (2007), 55.4 per cent in 2011, 44 per cent in 2015 and 37 per cent in 2019,” he added.

According to him, although a lot of improvement has been seen in the past few years, there will be a possible reversal of fortunes in the 2023 elections if money bags continue the use of thugs and money to buy votes.

Meanwhile, the Editor-in-Chief of TELL magazine, Nosa Igiebor, disagreed with Oshiomhole over his remark at the event concerning former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Oshiomhole had, with reference to Obasanjo, said, “It is unfortunate that a man in his 80s will say Nigeria may break up.Why do you want Nigeria to break up?

Don’t you want your children to enjoy it? These are people who dismantled the regions, created additional states and gave us the current structure.

Now, they are calling for restructuring. Who gave us the present structure? We must be careful of these tribalists, who cannot win elections in their own localities.”

But Igiebor rose in defence of Obasanjo, saying, “You can accuse Olusegun Obasanjo of anything but one thing you can’t say of him is that he is a tribalist.He is not an ethnic jingoist.”

Igiebor also warned that if the imperfections witnessed in 2019 were repeated in 2023, there would be no future for Nigeria.

The acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibrahim Magu, represented by his Special Assistant (Media and Publicity), Tony Amokeodo, called on the media to hold leaders accountable on behalf of the people.

Magu said, “Let me use this platform to challenge the press to rise up to the occasion as they play their role as the Fourth Estate of the Realm.

You must hold leaders accountable at all times. You must, above all, be responsible in the discharge of the delicate task placed on your shoulder.”

In his contribution, the Chairman of Air Peace, Allen Onyema, singled out ethnicity as the most potent factor militating against the growth and development of the country.

“I don’t care if all the key actors in government come from one place. What I am after is good governance.

Democracy will never get to the level we want it to be if we continue to mouth ethnic nationalism. If we get Nigeria right, she will be better that the whole of Europe put together”, he stated.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/prediction-on-nigerias-break-up-may-be-fulfilled-jega/amp/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by Racoon(m): 3:30am On Oct 24, 2019
After helping to enthrone the failure Nigeria has as president today? Una never seen anything yet.

Nigeria is already broken to pieces since 1966.We've just been fooling ourselves of an imaginary togetherness.Meanwhile,

184 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by idesylvester(m): 3:46am On Oct 24, 2019
My problem here is, why do our leaders have sense after leaving a very prominent position?

There's something we're not seeing about Nigeria in the spirit realm...

Me: what's the problem of Nigerians and Nigeria?
Friend: I don't even know.
Me: can there be a solution?
Friend: that I can't say.
Me: what do we do?
Friend: Run
Me: to where?
Friend: I swear I no know

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by Racoon(m): 3:53am On Oct 24, 2019
All elections have their imperfection but the one of 2019 was simply the worst in the histroy of Nigeria.Meanwhile, the NASS is still not talking about restarting the legislation on the amended electoral act in order to strengthen the process.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by leofab(f): 3:55am On Oct 24, 2019
All because of the audio oil discovered their trough.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by Racoon(m): 3:58am On Oct 24, 2019
leofab:
cheesy Which oil? An NNPC pipe that was mistakenly busted underground? These leeches are trying hard to survive.

44 Likes

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by okosodo: 4:50am On Oct 24, 2019
That was why you imposed a complete psycopath on us

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by gloriaunobi(f): 5:59am On Oct 24, 2019
The man that brought all these hardship on us.

51 Likes

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 7:12am On Oct 24, 2019
angry angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by Briells: 8:18am On Oct 24, 2019
If e go divide make e divide abeg! Time is going and I'm still searching for the 'better tomorrow' I was promised as a child. cry

In other news, treat that keloid or bumps the natural way today, contact me on zero 8 zero 6 2 5 one 1 six one zero for your permanent natural solution

11 Likes

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by ursullalinda(f): 8:18am On Oct 24, 2019
Jega we don't need this advice, kindly go to Aso villa and whisper it to ur friend.

13 Likes

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by Abbeyme: 8:18am On Oct 24, 2019
Playing to the gallery??

4 Likes

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by asobo: 8:18am On Oct 24, 2019
The collusion master. Playing to the gallery as someone said up there.

8 Likes

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by infogenius(m): 8:19am On Oct 24, 2019
All na gist.
These fcking desperados will care less as long as their selfish motives are satisfied.
Elections in 2023 will be flawed and worse than 2019. Because it's going to be do or die affair

3 Likes

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by DreamLabs: 8:19am On Oct 24, 2019
At Dreamlabs Nigeria, We develop scalable and high tech software applications and solutions to suit client's needs, be it mobile app development (IOS, Android et.c ) or Robust FrontEnd and Backend Web Application with core software engineering stacks.

Amidst that, we proffer other viable IT solutions such as IT consultancy, Revenue Automation, Data Center et.c

Read more about us on website at https://www.dreamlabs.com.ng

or Contact us: +2349059555228

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by Topmaike007(m): 8:19am On Oct 24, 2019
Me I still prefer one Nigeria oo

2 Likes

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by loadedvibes: 8:19am On Oct 24, 2019
Eya terrible shit
Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by Pavore9: 8:19am On Oct 24, 2019
Nigeria breaking up will not be the end of the world, reality will set in.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by superlanny(m): 8:20am On Oct 24, 2019
Am beginning to see reasons why we should break up, the Fg is not capable of catering or handling the whole of Nigeria, the politics, the corruption, the rot, the tribalism, the governance of the country is too expensive, the people we elected(5%) to serve us are our masters and the masses(95%) who should be kings are slaves, being together has not aided our growth at all, Nigerians are too cunny, selfish, proud, corrupt and tribal. So lets divide abeg.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by Passion4nylons: 8:20am On Oct 24, 2019
The core North should just join Niger Republic

We have nothing in common with them, they have different civilization from the South and neighboring Middle Belt

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by Nobody: 8:20am On Oct 24, 2019
I pray so. I yearn for it with my whole heart.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by tunary(m): 8:20am On Oct 24, 2019
Too bad if it come to pass

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by forreelliinc: 8:21am On Oct 24, 2019
leofab:
kiss wink mmmmmmmmm i saw your dp, did you really wear nothing underneath?
Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by Sonnobax15(m): 8:21am On Oct 24, 2019
undecided Nigerian politicians,when things seem not to be going their ways,they tend to suddenly become prophets...BTW,jega shouldn't exempt himself from being one of the leaders that nurtured every single problem we are facing now as a nation.
Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by nauto5: 8:21am On Oct 24, 2019
ok
Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by Zikora1000(f): 8:21am On Oct 24, 2019
Don't mind people that are still living in denial, e go do them voom for eyes like aeroplane. ' oga eme ha voom n'anya'.

3 Likes

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by PheelzAlmighty: 8:21am On Oct 24, 2019
Nigeria can't and will never break up. There's too much at stake.

2 Likes

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by Passionate888: 8:22am On Oct 24, 2019
Afonjas go soon call am ipob now..

3 Likes

Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by chiefolododo(m): 8:22am On Oct 24, 2019
Rr
Re: Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch) by yesloaded: 8:22am On Oct 24, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kano Emir Welcomes Peter Obi To His Palace (Photos) / Inauguration Judgement: Asari Dokubo Leads Pro-tinubu Group To Supreme Court / Ekiti Election: INEC Chief, Zakari Demands Apology From Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.