Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,940 members, 7,835,134 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin (2818 Views)

United States Confirms Sale Of 12 Attack Helicopters, Others To Nigeria For $1bn / VP Kashim Shettima Meets Putin At Russia-Africa Summit (Photos) / Buhari Meets Putin, Others At Russia-Africa Summit (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by Gozzy213: 9:23pm On Oct 26, 2019
Russia will supply 12 attack helicopters to Nigeria following a military deal struck in Sochi recently.

Russia and Nigeria inked a deal that will bolster the West African nation’s resolve to defeat insurgents and bandits wreaking havoc in different parts of the country.

A senior official at Russia’s federal military-technical cooperation service told the RIA news agency that Moscow has agreed to supply 12 Mi-35 attack helicopters to Nigeria. The contract was announced as Russia welcomed dozens of African heads of state to the southern Russian city of Sochi this week.

President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria and Russian President Vladmir Putin held bilateral talks on the sidelines of the Russia-Africa summit and agreed to strengthen relations between both nations.

Here are the takeaways from what both leaders discussed:

1.Developing Nigeria’s enormous gas potential and infrastructure

Russia will be playing a significant role in further developing Nigeria’s huge oil and gas industry.
Russia will help revive Nigeria’s moribund oil refineries through the establishment of a framework for a joint venture between the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and Russia-based leading oil company, Lukoil.

Russia will also explore some of Nigeria’s oil in the deep offshore.

Nigeria and Russia also agreed to revive and solidify the venture between the NNPC and Russia’s gas giant, Gazprom, in order to develop Nigeria’s enormous gas potential and infrastructure.

2.Getting Ajaokuta steel plant back on its feet

The abandoned Ajaokuta steel company was also on the table when Putin met Buhari.
Buhari specifically requested that Russia and Nigeria enter a partnership on a government-to-government basis for the revival of the million dollar plant. Putin accepted Buhari’s proposal in this regard.

On the protracted Aluminum Smelter Company of Nigeria (ALSCON) in Ikot-Abasi, Akwa-Ibom State, President Buhari said that he had asked the Ministry of Justice “to submit a comprehensive report on the UC Russel (the Russian owners of the plant) matter...I want to assure you that the aim of our reforms is to ensure such investments are concluded and actualized in a professional and painless manner.”

3.Developing Nigeria’s rail sector

Russia also agreed to develop Nigeria’s rail infrastructure by constructing a 1,400km rail line from Lagos to the South-south city of Calabar in Cross River State.

4.A Nuclear power plant

Talks were also finalized on the establishment of a nuclear power plant in Nigeria. According to Putin, the next step in the implementation of the project should be the construction of the plant.

5.Education and Agriculture

Both presidents also agreed to enter a partnership on education and agriculture. The Russian leader said his country will award more scholarships to Nigerians.

6.Security and military cooperation

On security and military cooperation, President Buhari agreed to renew the Nigeria-Russia Military Technical Agreement which had lapsed within a short time, saying: “I have directed the Minister of Defence to work with the Ministry of Justice to conclude this matter within the shortest possible time.”

The military deal is expected to foster cooperation in direct procurement of military hardware on a government-to-government basis at a lower cost.

Russia will also train Nigeria's military personnel and modernize the armed forces of the West African nation.

Putin also promised Nigeria aid in equipment and infrastructure for the military.

Russia is pushing for clout and influence on the African continent and sees Nigeria and South Africa - the two biggest economies in the region, as good places to start.

“We can do a lot together,” Putin promised Buhari in Russia.

During the talks, President Buhari said: “There are many similarities between Russia’s journey and your leadership and Nigeria’s aspirations for the future. We can learn a lot from the experience of Russia’s ongoing reforms and transitioning from an oil dependent economy to a modern, diversified and inclusive economy."

https://www.pulse.ng/news/local/russia-hands-nigeria-12-attack-helicopters/jkb9jp7

Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by Multiplier7(m): 9:27pm On Oct 26, 2019
Nice heli

Like for Buhari Share for Jonathan

13 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by Yemike(m): 9:36pm On Oct 26, 2019
Putin and Russians generally are very cunny and have a reputation for not being straightforward.

I just hope there's no hidden agenda.

Nonetheless it's a very good deal tho'

Nice move 4rm Buhari

3 Likes

Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 26, 2019
Yemike:
Putin and Russians generally are very cunny and have a reputation for not being straightforward.

Nice move 4rm Buhari
Russia is better than the US in tech transfer

4 Likes

Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by slimfit1(m): 9:53pm On Oct 26, 2019
As long as the nuclear power is in Daura or Borno we are good. People that can't maintain a plane cant nuclear energy funny people.
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 4:12am On Oct 27, 2019
Rubbish as usual. Do we need scholarships to Russia to improve our educational system? He has not told us his real motives of going to Russia.
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by Guestlander: 4:35am On Oct 27, 2019
Yemike:

Nice move 4rm Buhari

It is the west that is never straightforward with Africa.

1 Like

Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by Guestlander: 4:36am On Oct 27, 2019
slimfit1:
As long as the nuclear power is in Daura or Borno we are good. People that can't maintain a plane cant nuclear energy funny people.

Nuclear power plants are usually built near the sea, lakes, rivers etc.
I don't think there's any large body of water in those places you mentioned.

1 Like

Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by Guestlander: 4:39am On Oct 27, 2019
Smartchoiice:

Russia is better than the US in tech transfer

The Asians, the Russians are more dependable allies.

1 Like

Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by Nobody: 6:04am On Oct 27, 2019
It is "SUPPLY" not "hands/give/donate/dash".

You bloggers should have sense.

No free lunch(es) anywhere.

Buhari did not do jack, the country will pay for those, one way or the other.
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by slimfit1(m): 7:06am On Oct 27, 2019
Guestlander:

Nuclear power plants are usually built near the sea, lakes, rivers etc.
I don't think there's any large body of water in those places you mentioned.

I don't think we have room for that in the south thank you he should just forget about it. River Kaduna is good.

1 Like

Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by lukui: 7:40am On Oct 27, 2019
dear Lifeless DONALD TRUMP,

please kindly GO TO HELL

AND when you reach there, KISS THE DEVIL!!!!

grin grin

#GodblessPMB #GODBLESSNIGERIA

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by iammo(m): 8:00am On Oct 27, 2019
Trump would have collected our money and have us wait till 2022

1 Like

Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by MoIbrahim: 9:02am On Oct 27, 2019
TND!
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by thundafire: 11:23am On Oct 27, 2019
Helicopters day wouldn't be used in dey war but used to protect Generals when traveling

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by FarahAideed: 11:52am On Oct 27, 2019
That bulky ugly attack Helicopters again
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by AroleOduduwa2: 12:14pm On Oct 27, 2019
I can’t believe some people are trying to defend this stupid decision by Africa leaders to attend the Africa Russia summit, the summit won’t benefit Africa at all, Russia just want to do what the west did to us for years.
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by HaryoBamex(m): 12:54pm On Oct 27, 2019
Shey helicopter that buhari won't allow the Nigeria army use to bomb all those Boko Haram?
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by Nobody: 3:00pm On Oct 27, 2019
HaryoBamex:
Shey helicopter that buhari won't allow the Nigeria army use to bomb all those Boko Haram?
don't mind them, they will still carry it and give the boko boys and lie that their base was attack
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by acenazt: 5:00pm On Oct 27, 2019
Mehn if half of these deals work out we are set up big time
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by acenazt: 5:02pm On Oct 27, 2019
Yemike:

Nice move 4rm Buhari
and the U.S of A are straightforward right??
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by acenazt: 5:04pm On Oct 27, 2019
slimfit1:

I don't think we have room for that in the south thank you he should just forget about it. River Kaduna is good.
Kaduna will make a good place for that but shey you are not forgetting rivers benue,Niger and the confluence in kogi? Anyway they should put it in Delta
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by acenazt: 5:05pm On Oct 27, 2019
FarahAideed:
That bulky ugly attack Helicopters again
please supply us Sleek attack helicopters
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by FarahAideed: 5:13pm On Oct 27, 2019
acenazt:
please supply us Sleek attack helicopters

Hinds are practically flying APCs and not devastating attack Helicopter type needed for Nigerias current campaign , Jonathan already got about 4 of them and what difference did it make ...we need lighter tandem seater attack helicopters like the Tiger Or AH 64 which are faster , more flexible , more silent.
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by RTSC: 5:17pm On Oct 27, 2019
We need SU-30s.

That is more important.

Flying those ancient F-7 is shameful.
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by RTSC: 5:23pm On Oct 27, 2019
FarahAideed:

Hinds are practically flying APCs and not devastating attack Helicopter type needed for Nigerias current campaign , Jonathan already got about 4 of them and what difference did it make ...we need lighter tandem seater attack helicopters like the Tiger Or AH 64 which are faster , more flexible , more silent.
When I visited one of my guys that live in an oil producing area, I happened to sight one of those Hinds flying very low near the roof of houses, checking for oil bunkering.

The sound emanating from it was like a factory.
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by FarahAideed: 6:14pm On Oct 27, 2019
RTSC:

When I visited one of my guys that live in an oil producing area, I happened to sight one of those Hinds flying very low near the roof of houses, checking for oil bunkering.

The sound emanating from it was like a factory.

They are too noisy
Re: Russia Hands Nigeria 12 Attack Helicopters After Buhari Meets Putin by dignity33: 6:24pm On Oct 27, 2019
Media propaganda pls show us the attack helicopter and I hope is not borrowing like Pakistan .

(1) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Cries Again "Yoruba Wake Up, Something About To Happen To Osibanjo" / More Pictures Of Labour Party Rally In Jos(photos) / Obi: Youth Plan Mass Waste Dumps At Govt House Against Soludo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.