Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union (61692 Views)

We Talking About Nigeria Presidency, Not Traders' Union Nor Anambra Gov - Wike / Border Closure: Rice Smugglers Divert To Pineapples / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by FriendNG: 7:11pm On Oct 27, 2019
Clement Boateng is the National Organiser, Ghana Union of Traders Association. He speaks on the closure of Nigeria’s land borders and how it is affecting businesses in his country in this interview with ALEXANDER OKERE

Why did your organisation condemn the closure of land borders by the Nigerian government?

It (border closure) wasn’t a right decision because it infringes on the ECOWAS protocol. The foundation of the ECOWAS protocol is the free movement of people, goods and services. So, if for close to three months, the borders have been closed and people cannot move freely, goods cannot exit or enter, then it defeats the ECOWAS protocol. That was the reason our association issued a statement condemning the closure of the borders by the Nigerian authority.

How specifically has this affected Ghanaian traders?

It is not only Ghanaian traders that the closure has affected; it has affected almost all the ECOWAS countries that are using the borders – it affects Benin (Republic), Togo, Ivory Coast and Liberia. Our association issued that statement for the purpose of all the (affected) countries.

Have you received any response from the ECOWAS Commission over the closure?

We are amazed that the ECOWAS Commission has not said something or commented on the closure of the border. Before Nigeria closed its borders, it should have done some consultations with the countries that would be affected by the closure.

Are you saying no consultation was done?

No consultation was done before we realised that the borders were closed. We can even attest to the fact that Nigerians are complaining about the closure because Nigerian farmers cannot export their products.

One of the reasons given by the Nigerian government for the closure was the need to stop smuggling, promote trans-border security. What’s your reaction to that?

Well, if those were the reasons given for the closure of the borders, especially regarding security, I wouldn’t have much problem with that. But the manner the whole exercise was done wasn’t the best. We are worried about that. The Nigerian government should have informed other ECOWAS members, their security agencies, about the exercise it wanted to embark on to check security issues, rather than just closing the borders. Now, people’s goods that are perishable have gone bad and people have lost huge sums of money. I don’t think it is the best.

Can you quantify how much your members have lost since the closure?

I cannot quantify what we have lost. I cannot specifically say the amount that has been lost. But as far as I am concerned, we have lost a huge sum of money.

Can you list some of the goods from Ghana that have been affected?

Nigeria has something known as ECOWAS trade mobilisation scheme which means that all the 50-member states can send goods that are manufactured by each country to each country. But for three to four years, Nigeria banned 41 items which cannot be imported and the ECOWAS Commission is not saying anything. Some of the goods banned by Nigeria are poultry products, pharmaceuticals, textiles and furniture and I don’t think this is the best thing to do because one of the reasons for the establishment of ECOWAS is promote trade among the member-states with goods manufactured by them.

Nigeria had also alleged a breach of the ECOWAS protocol on transit demand by some neighbouring countries that tamper with the seals of transit containers from Nigeria. How would you respond to that?

Well, if there was a breach, Nigeria has every right to complain to the trade department of the ECOWAS to sort it out. Anything that breaches the sovereignty of a country within the ECOWAS commission must not be allowed.

Do you think Nigeria’s decision has any implication on its economy?

I don’t think the closure of the borders was the best thing to do because in September alone, Nigeria made about N115 billion, which which was a boost to its revenue. But Nigeria thinks the closure is good and wants to extend it to 2020, that’s why my association has complained and our government must talk with them (Nigeria). They (Nigeria) said they were going to open a special corridor for us to channel goods from Ghana going there and the other way round. But we want a total opening of the borders. However, if the special corridor is in the interim, I think we will take it like that.

Smuggling of illicit food items is a major problem affecting local economies. What has the Ghanaian Trade Union done to sanction its members who may be involved in smuggling?

As far as we are concerned, none of our members has been engaged in smuggling. I visited Nigeria twice or thrice in a year and no member of my association has been arrested for engaging in smuggling. I can say that Ghanaians don’t engage in smuggling.

How does the union intend to implement the proposed boycott of made-in-Nigeria products, according to the reported statement you issued?

I don’t know where that came from. Maybe one of my regions issued that statement. But as far as I am concerned, the national association has not come out with any statement of that nature. I will have to check from my regions. As far as the national (body) is concerned, we haven’t called for any boycott.

Why is your country not happy with the border closure?

The Ghanaian government is not happy and that was why, when we complained to the government, our foreign affairs minister had to quickly rush to Abuja to engage the Nigerian authorities. That resulted in an agreement that they will open a corridor for us. The Ghanaian government is working things out with the Nigerian government.

What has been the impact of the border closure on Ghanaian families?

The impact has been negative. We also have a number of Nigerians who are engaged in business in Ghana. They bring their goods from Nigeria to trade but they are all complaining. It is taking a negative toll on business and it is not only Ghanaians that are complaining.

What will your association or Ghanaians do if the current situation continues for a long time?

We are praying that it doesn’t continue. But if it continues, we will not have any option than to look somewhere else.

What exactly do you mean?

We can go anywhere. One of the reasons we are doing business with Nigeria is because it is close to us. Even if you are flying in, in 45 minutes, you are in Lagos; you can do your shopping and come back. If you go by bus, in eight or nine hours, you will be in Lagos. But if it comes to a point that the borders are not open and business cannot go on, we won’t have any other alternative than to go to Dubai or Europe and bring our goods from there. We may boycott Nigeria for Dubai and other countries if this continues.

Do you think Nigeria’s economic will feel the brunt in the long run?

It will. I belong to the spare parts industry and my business counterparts are complaining that they have not been making any sales since the closure of the border. So, in the long run, it is the Nigerian economy that will be affected because they (Nigerian traders) will not make sales to be able to pay their taxes or import goods so that the Nigerian government can generate revenue.

How best can African countries address the problems associated with trans-border trade?

The solution to the problem is for the authorities to open their borders and make their security agencies patrol the borders day and night to check smuggling. Those doing genuine business should be allowed to take their goods across the borders.

https://punchng.com/what-we-will-do-if-border-closure-remains-leader-ghana-traders-union/amp/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by nrexzy: 7:18pm On Oct 27, 2019
Hehe

Una no wan be giants of Africa again

134 Likes 10 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by helinues: 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2019
Now I can say the West Africa free trades na scam

Why not consumed same foreign goods in Ghana.. Not even local products oo

The person wey whinch Africa wicked gan oo

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by princemillla(m): 7:29pm On Oct 27, 2019
Won tun gbedee!!!

I must say Ghana is one of the country Milking from Nigeria economy. Since the closure only ghana has been making noise. Wetting self Na una border?

305 Likes 14 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by MrFourSHIRTS: 7:37pm On Oct 27, 2019
So naa 9ia dey feed all these countries yet they disregard us...

During the South African xenophobic attacks you won't believe what most of these people were tweeting...

When you handle people with kids gloves, they tend to think they can spar with you.

209 Likes 13 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by psychologygh: 7:50pm On Oct 27, 2019
MrFourSHIRTS:
So naa 9ia dey feed all these countries yet they disregard us...

During the South African xenophobic attacks you won't believe what most of these people were tweeting...

When you handle people with kids gloves, they tend to think they can spar with you.
go and feed your 200 million poverty capital of the world citizens. Do you know the meaning of trade.It goes two ways.Did you listen to the man.Ghana will rather block trades with Nigeria and rather trade with Dubai and Europe.Already trade among West African ECOWAS members is the lowest in the world. Ghana exports gold,timber,oil,manufactured products, etc worth 17 billion dollars and out of it,just 80 million dollars goes to Nigeria. So how does a few loss not even loss cos the products can be sold to Europe and China.How does 80 million dollars feed Ghana. Tell me.It's your own people that will suffer cos you can't trade among all these countries again and no imports and exports for them thus businesses and jobs collapsing in Nigeria. Food and goods more than double in prices and majority of your people can't afford such high inflated living.You can't even feed yourself thus closing all your borders to starve yourselves and you're ignorantly shouting that you feed Africa.Despicable words.

34 Likes 9 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Johans1991: 7:51pm On Oct 27, 2019
U want Nigeria to open border but you pursue Dangote from your country.
You lobbied Toyota to site their production plant in Ghana knowingly well that u don't have d market to give them. You were targeting Nigerian market now we don Wise up .
We will all go back to patronized innoson motors.
Any company that want the 200 millions Nigerians to patronized their goods should come and site their company in Nigerian. We have the land,the manpower and the market.

427 Likes 55 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:58pm On Oct 27, 2019
Shey Buhari wey no get sense, you dey talk all these sensible grammar to

The guy wants to cripple this economy

Try the northern borders, I learnt he's not strict there grin grin grin grin

That's our nepotistic president for you!!!

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by PropertyBase: 7:59pm On Oct 27, 2019
Johans1991:
You lobbied Toyota to site their production plant in Ghana knowingly well that u don't have d market to give them. You were targeting Nigerian market now we don Wise up .
Any company that want the 200 millions Nigerians to patronized their goods should come and site their company in Nigerian. We have the land,the manpower and the market.

God bless you my brother. Let them come and invest in Nigeria so we can patronise them here... Buy apartments in Lekki and Surulere, spread payments for 10years.08112222019

75 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:00pm On Oct 27, 2019
Johans1991:
The truth is gradually coming out!!!

Una get light

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by MrFourSHIRTS: 8:02pm On Oct 27, 2019
psychologygh:
go and feed your 200 million
do they not teach proper punctuation and spacing in GH?
All these epistles you have written just to indirectly beg...
Charly abegiiii

182 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by eternityk: 8:08pm On Oct 27, 2019
I support the Ghana traders
They should do as they like
I would do more than them if it were me

2 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Multiplier7(m): 8:08pm On Oct 27, 2019
Lol...They ask this man what will Ghana do if the border continues to remain close? My ears popped up to know what he will say..

Hear his reply...We pray it doesn't remain close... I laughed...The man knew better

They can't do any shit. Close your own border..the worst

Run to ECOWAS... I laughed..ECOWAS that is controlled by 99% Nigerians.

I have said it again and again. The only way out is diplomatic means.. And to me that means begging Buhari until he changes his mind

And the Baba I know will not open that border this year. Do you know what it means to beg a soldier talk more of a retired Soldier.. Lol

249 Likes 18 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Johans1991: 8:11pm On Oct 27, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

Una get light
then choose between the light and the market

73 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by presidential: 8:16pm On Oct 27, 2019
Wiseandtrue:
Shey Buhari wey no get sense, you dey talk all these sensible grammar to

The guy wants to cripple this economy

Try the northern borders, I learnt he's not strict there grin grin grin grin

That's our nepotistic president for you!!!
Must you disparage your President all the time. Initially you use to make very wise comment, but now you just spew thrash all the time.
What is crippling in an economic decision that local producers are benefitting from. All right thinking citizens across different divides are applauding?
You may have personal hatred for your President, but this is our National interest and we the right thinking citizens of Nigeria are in full support.

210 Likes 21 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Multiplier7(m): 8:17pm On Oct 27, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

Una get light

Go and ask BBNaija how he did his show 99 days with constant light. They didn't take light

Or maybe you should ask David Oyedepo, since Canaan land otta was built, light have not gone out for once.

Or maybe you should ask MTN
Even Innoson.

Never give excuse for your failures

159 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:19pm On Oct 27, 2019
presidential:

Must you disparage your President all the time. Initially you use to make very wise comment, but now you just spew thrash all the time.
What is crippling in an economic decision that local producers are benefitting from. All right thinking citizens across different divides are applauding?
You may have personal hatred for your President, but this is our National interest and we the right thinking citizens of Nigeria are in full support.
Abeg leave my mouth na me get am!!!

Buhari did worse, where were you then

Initially I thought he had something to offer before I realized we have been scammed by the father of modern day Yahoo grin cheesy

What's good about this stupid decision

Is it possible for ALL Nigerians to be into the same occupation

What about those you encouraged to register their businesses Have you thought about what they and their families are going through

Why not cancel ALL the universities and turn them to a UNIVERSITY OF FARMING

How can a government that means well put all it egg in one basket

What economy can survive that

Leave the North where things are extremely cheap!!! Leave your comfort zone and remove the log from your eyes so that you can actually see the havoc this devilish policies is wrecking then come back and talk to me!!!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Multiplier7(m): 8:24pm On Oct 27, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

Did you just call that decision Stupid decision?

How high are you?

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:29pm On Oct 27, 2019
Multiplier7:

Did you just call that decision Stupid decision?

How high are you?
It's stupid cause Buhari does not understand the lay man!!!

Why budget billions for himself every year

Are we not in the same Nigeria

He should come down to the masses level, then I will know he means business!!!

A good president listens to the cries of the people he's leading but it appears he still has ear infections!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Johans1991: 8:34pm On Oct 27, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

Is it possible for ALL Nigerians to be into the same occupation

What about those you encouraged to register their businesses Have you thought about what they and their families are going through

Why not cancel ALL the universities and turn them to a UNIVERSITY OF FARMING

How can a government that means well put all it egg in one basket

What economy can survive that

Leave the North where things are extremely cheap!!! Leave your comfort zone and remove the log from your eyes so that you can actually see the havoc this devilish policies is wrecking then come back and talk to me!!!
unfortunately you can only wail

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:38pm On Oct 27, 2019
Johans1991:
unfortunately you can only wail
Unfortunately, that's what you are programmed to say in exchange for your brains

Goodluck re-uniting with your brains!!!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by princemillla(m): 8:40pm On Oct 27, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

A good president listens to the cries of the people he's leading but it appears he still has ear infections!!!

Go n rest pls. You arent making sane comments.

This is the best decision so far. Buy Nigeria to grow Nigeria. Let's tackle that first we will get to the issue of embezzlement soon.

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:44pm On Oct 27, 2019
princemillla:

Go n rest pls. You arent making sane comments.

This is the best decision so far. Buy Nigeria to grow Nigeria. Let's tackle that first we will get to the issue of embezzlement soon.
Tell that to Buhari!!!

When will he patronize our hospitals or visit our tourist sites

SMH

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Multiplier7(m): 8:45pm On Oct 27, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

Honey is for your own good but you don't know yet. This fuel scarcity we Nigerians normally experience every Christmas period is not gonna happen due to the blockage of fuel smuggling out of the country

So indirectly you will travel with peace of mind and still come back no changes in transport fares

Isn't that for your benefit at least?
Among other benefits

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Area4Area: 8:48pm On Oct 27, 2019
Has it extended to Ivory Coast and Liberia too? Nigeria is wicked o lol. We should deal with these leeches once and for all.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:55pm On Oct 27, 2019
Multiplier7:

Honey is for your own good but you don't know yet. This fuel scarcity we Nigerians normally experience every Christmas period is not gonna happen due to the blockage of fuel smuggling out of the country

So indirectly you will travel with peace of mind and still come back no changes in transport fares

Isn't that for your benefit at least?
Among other benefits
That's why I said leave your comfort zone!!!

Who told you that there's no hike or there won't be hike in transportation come December

For your information, for instance, during the GEJ era, from my place to Oshodi is N100, N150 max but now it's from N250 upwards undecided imagine what festive period will look like!!!

Go to the market, before the arrival of your all knowing president, N50kg is N8000 but now it's N20,000 upwards

So I ask once again, how's all these policies in favour of the masses

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Multiplier7(m): 9:05pm On Oct 27, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

That's why I said leave your comfort zone!!!

Who told you that there's no hike or there won't be hike in transportation come December

For your information, for instance, during the GEJ era, from my place to Oshodi is N100, N150 max but now it's from N250 upwards undecided imagine what festive period will look like!!!

Go to the market, before the arrival of your all knowing president, N50kg is N8000 but now it's N20,000 upwards

So I ask once again, how's all these policies in favour of the masses

And you think you know better than the CBN governor, Minister of Finance, The Economic team set up By the President comprising Charles Soludo?

The President is not a fool. He consulted the main men before taking that decision.

So relax because you didn't know what they know okay

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Area4Area: 9:06pm On Oct 27, 2019
princemillla:
Won tun gbedee!!!

I must say Ghana is one of the country Milking from Nigeria economy. Since the closure only ghana has been making noise. Wetting self Na una border?
I tire sef o, Ghana officials have been crying ever since the closure

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:06pm On Oct 27, 2019
Multiplier7:

And you think you know better than the CBN governor, Minister of Finance, The Economic team set up By the President comprising Charles Soludo?

The President is not a fool. He consulted the main men before taking that decision.

So relax because you didn't know what they know okay
I really don't know and I am not interested in knowing

I am more into the realities on ground!!!

Are they not there to serve the people

Why so much hardship

These policies of theirs doesn't affect them so why should I care

Soludo, and the CBN Governor should dump their office job and go into farming 100% with little or no capital then I can understand them!!!

Let's all stop office work and face farming, Buhari should reduce most expenses !!!

HORs should also be on minimum wage undecided

Then let's see if they will know better than Nigerians

Can Zahra or Yussuf be thriving on this current proposed minimum wages Including all these tax deductions here and there

Tell me!!!

17 Likes

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by Blue3k(m): 9:09pm On Oct 27, 2019
We are amazed that the ECOWAS Commission has not said something or commented on the closure of the border. 

He who pays the piper calls the tune. The ECOWAS body isn't like the EU. They dont have much to say on anything.

Our foreign affairs minister had to quickly rush to Abuja to engage the Nigerian authorities. That resulted in an agreement that they will open a corridor for us. 

You got your wish just wait on it.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by googi: 9:10pm On Oct 27, 2019
How much does it take to distinguish free trade to illegal trade?

Everyone wants to bleed Nigeria, even Nigerians, the worst smugglers of imported goods and services into Nigeria.

13 Likes

Re: What We Will Do If Border Closure Remains –Ghana Traders Union by princemillla(m): 9:12pm On Oct 27, 2019
googi:
How much does it take to distinguish free trade to illegal trade?

Everyone wants to bleed Nigeria, even Nigerians, the worst smugglers of imported goods and services into Nigeria.

I swear it. Honestly I don’t know how Ghana who don’t Even share border with us lament the most.

Goin by the interview the man said Nigerians who are into parts are lamenting. I can't seems to understand where in Nigeria are these parts being manufactured.

Methinks Ghana should let ecowas do the needful abi ki tie ni gan self

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Sit-At-Home In Awka: Residents Obey Soludo (Photos) / Inside Tinubu's Jet / South-East 'Has A Strong Case' But Atiku’s Running Mate To Come From South-West

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.