Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,595 members, 7,851,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:04 PM

Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People (1942 Views)

Dino Melaye Denies Asking People To Stop Posting His Pictures With Hushpuppi / Posting Photos Of Dead Soldiers On Social Media: Army To Take Legal Action / Arewa Boys: Why People Should Stop Posting Those Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by OruExpress: 12:54am On Nov 01, 2019
I have noticed the culture of posting pictures of dead people is not going anywhere, anytime soon. I assumed doing this was for people that were new to the internet and as Nigerian became more familiar, they will eventually stop. Unfortunately, we're still here, so I wanted to make a case for why we should stop.

1. Degrading Mental Image: The family of the deceased have an image of the individual and that is what will live forever. They want to remember the person as they lived, not as a corpse. Not dismembered, dismantled, gored, or bleeding. Worst, not on the floor surrounded by people with cellphones out. It's extremely traumatizing to the family and disrespectful to the memory of the dead. This is something someone's worst and more vile enemy is more likely to do than a casual observer or even a loved one because it's a very hateful act.

Now, a lot of the time, it's the family that posts the picture. Remember, ignorance is not uncommon these days. A lot of people in Nigeria regularly traumatize themselves, simply because they don't know what is and what isn't traumatic. They also don't know the effects of trauma on their psyche, happiness and success in life. People that can't argue without yelling, and can't disagree without fighting are all showing signs of trauma. People that resort to impulse and violence quickly are showing signs of trauma. People dealing with depression, or severe anxiety, all trauma. If you read a list of 'behaviors exhibited by trauma victims' you will see that everything short of suicide is what we consider 'regular Nigerian behavior'. Truth is, it's not, we're just out of touch with our mental health and how much we damage others.

2. It's a Sign of Low Mental Development: There are few things more telling of an uneducated person than their public sensibility. A person that's uneducated is often not mindful of the environment they create or the impact of their behavior. Seeing a dead body is painful for everyone involved, and can cause Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder just from sight. The human mind is not designed to look at dead human beings. It shattered people's sense of self, sense of safety, and sensitivity to death. There's no quicker way to turn a person into a killer than consistently exposing him or her to images of death. There are children witnessing these things and people who have witnessed the same in real life who's wounds are reopened by it. But in the name of 'social media post', an uneducated person will go ahead and post the image because understanding the consequence takes a level of awareness or thinking that is hard to attain without a well developed mind. Showing a person violence it's self is an act of violence. You post things on social media for people to see, try to be aware of the impact you have on those people.

3. It's Desensitizing: This point builds on the previous point. There is nothing that will make you more comfortable with tragedy and death than seeing it regularly. Not comfortable in the sense of finding peace with the reality of death, but comfortable with seeing other people die. An over exposure to violence makes somebody very comfortable with violence. The reason this is bad is most of the time, these pictures are posted to show how horrible the death is, or to show empathy with the victim. That it actual does is make you and everyone else care less about the death because you will become desensitized. Trauma to the brain is equal to injury of the body. To protect it's self, your brain will stop reacting strongly to things it sees regularly that may be traumatic. Yelling is traumatic, but if you hear enough yelling your brain will turn numb to it. If you see enough death your brain goes numb as well.

This numbness is not strength. It is actually the normal parts of your brain shutting off or breaking irreparably. These parts are linked to other parts of your brain so when they shut off or break, many things are effected. You may be used to yelling, but you now have severe social anxiety and low self-esteem, your quicker to violence, and have a reduced ability to communicate how you feel without yelling. You man be used to seeing dead bodies but you find yourself caring less about human life as a whole, feeling more hopeless and threatened by your environment, growing depressed and angry without explanation. We don't want to be desensitized from death because that will desensitize us from life.

I know this is the internet and everyone will do what they want to do, but I hope this write up can appeal to you and help you consider something you haven't considered before.

If you like this post, you can share it on Facebook with this link: https://www.facebook.com/Oruexpress/photos/a.1702170453126409/2752960351380742/?type=3&theater

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by angelEmade: 12:58am On Nov 01, 2019
This is one of such informative posts that deserves to be on front page.
Sadly, lalasticlala is a snake eater

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:44am On Nov 01, 2019
Sadly like snakes, dead bodies receive more views.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by SamuelAnyawu(m): 3:03am On Nov 01, 2019
I confronted a facebook friend about this last week

2 Likes

Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by RIHMEEK(m): 3:06am On Nov 01, 2019
OP views seconded

4 Likes

Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by IGBOSON1: 4:03am On Nov 01, 2019
So spot on!

I close my eyes and quickly scroll past images of dead bodies, and wonder how a human being that's not sick in the head will have such images on his device to upload to social media! sad

5 Likes

Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by Nobody: 4:52am On Nov 01, 2019
Interesting. But I'm wondering, how do medical students/practicing doctors cope with their frequent exposure to these things? Are they trained to cater for their own mental health?
Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by MetaPhysical: 5:07am On Nov 01, 2019
OP,
I love it! Good post!!
Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by Rootprof(m): 5:07am On Nov 01, 2019
Abeg loud this beautiful information make all this people that have found joy in posting such things. Have unfriended many people on FB because of posting things that will only make me sad. Most especially things like ... You're heartless if you see this and can't type Amen OR If you don't want this to happen to you and your family type Amen. Na delete straight,I can't have people that will be cursing me indirectly on my page.

5 Likes

Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by iammo(m): 5:29am On Nov 01, 2019
This is one of the most reasonable post have read in a while, thanks op..

i thought i had seen all forms of gory picture and pictures of badly injured corpse, until the day i opened a thread on nairaland and so a guy who posted the unearthed corpse of his father, aparently he was unearthed over a land dispute

that image really fvcked me up,

1 Like

Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by omenka(m): 6:30am On Nov 01, 2019
RIHMEEK:
OP views seconded
Hmm. This our little boy has finally become a papichulo. cheesy
Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by InansBobo(m): 7:09am On Nov 01, 2019
as in ehh! It's like a norm on facebook
Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by helinues: 7:10am On Nov 01, 2019
I totally agree..
Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by EkwensuAmosu1: 7:13am On Nov 01, 2019
[s]
helinues:
I totally agree..
[/s]
me too. wink
Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by tooth4tooth: 2:21pm On Nov 01, 2019
UK and US hardly show graphic image of dead people. We all remembered the people that froze to dead in UK ,how many people saw their corpses? Of course they kept it private.

1 Like

Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by EricBloodAxe: 11:27pm On Nov 06, 2019
If you need uncensored, dehumanizing, reality gore to feed your eyes, then login to www.bestgore.com. Visit and be gorified.
Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by Nobody: 5:13am On Dec 22, 2019
-
Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by Sonoyom(m): 8:35am On Dec 22, 2019
This is so true
Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by edoairways: 10:49am On Dec 22, 2019
I agree with you
Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by omoharry(f): 12:43pm On Dec 22, 2019
Route99:
Interesting. But I'm wondering, how do medical students/practicing doctors cope with their frequent exposure to these things? Are they trained to cater for their own mental health?
That is why some Doctors and Nurses can watch patient die right before their very eyes without any assistance becos some reasons such as hospital bills or lack of police report for a gun shot wound.Death means nothing to them becos they are use to it.Only some still have that human emphathy to carry out their job first to save lives before any request .So I Agree with the Op on this, when you get expose to death and violence you become use to it and would no longer see it as a big deal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by darkwan: 3:22pm On Dec 22, 2019
but it has reduced alot....

you mostly see graphic photos now in crime section....
Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by sylve11: 12:09pm On Dec 12, 2023
IGBOSON1:
So spot on!

I close my eyes and quickly scroll past images of dead bodies, and wonder how a human being that's not sick in the head will have such images on his device to upload to social media! sad

Them dey even put am on their status. sad cool

2 Likes

Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by Goodnewsforlife: 12:26pm On Dec 12, 2023
angelEmade:
This is one of such informative posts that deserves to be on front page.
Sadly, lalasticlala is a snake eater
these kinda post don’t make it to front page but let one ahnie sneeze inside her room n u will see how the useless news will make front page

Imagine someone burnt beans in her house n it made front page whereas there are thousands of educative threads that will never see front page

2 Likes

Re: Why We Should Stop Posting Pictures Of Dead People by ahnie: 12:27pm On Dec 12, 2023
Crying Angela grin grin grin
Goodnewsforlife:
these kinda post don’t make it to front page but let one ahnie sneeze inside her room n u will see how the useless news will make front page

Imagine someone burnt beans in her house n it made front page whereas there are thousands of educative threads that will never see front page
Glad I m giving you sleepless night,I m living rent free in your empty head cheesy.

Welcome to my elite list of stvpid stalkers.
I should create a thread for you guys and brand it as....keeping up with ahnie's.

(1) (Reply)

Atiku Arrives Court, Signs Deposition In Suit Against Buhari Aide, Lauretta (Pix / Likely Result Of A Revolution In Nigeria / We Give You 7days To Provide The Executed Soldiers. Umu Igbo Switzerland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.