Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,590 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today (45931 Views)

Insecurity: Army Unveils New Operations Nationwide Today / Insecurity: Obaseki Declares Curfew In Edo, As Army Begins Operation / Ekiti: PDP To Embark On Peaceful Protest Nationwide Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Islie: 4:21pm On Nov 01, 2019
…Lawmakers kick, as Falana sues military

By Balarabe Alkassim, Clement A. Oloyede, Ronald Mutum (Abuja) & Abdullateef Aliyu

Members of the House of Representatives Committee on Army yesterday expressed reservations about the Operation Positive Identification which the military begins nationwide today.

The lawmakers had earlier called on President Muhammadu Buhari to prevail on the army not to embark on the exercise by which Nigerians are required to move about with means of identification.

But the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-General Tukur Buratai, yesterday told the lawmakers that Buhari and the Minister of Defence, Bashir Magashi, were in support of the operation.

He said first launched in the northeast in September, would be conducted nationwide to intercept Boko Haram insurgents who had relocated from their enclaves to other parts of the country.

Buratai, represented by the Head of Civil-Military Affairs, Army Headquarters, Major-General U.S Usman, noted that the exercise would not involve movement of troops or their presence in communities. Rather, he emphasised, it is a special operation fused into ongoing operations.

He repeated that the operation did not involve mounting of checkpoints or military incursions into communities.

According to him, it is an intelligence-based operation to intercept insurgents and other criminal elements relocating from the army’s theatres of operations to other parts of the country.

He said the precarious situation of the nation prompted the army to initiate various operations to tackle the security challenges facing the country.

He said soldiers had been deployed to 34 states of the federation owing to the spate of insurgency, banditry, kidnapping and other crimes.

He noted that the army does not operate in isolation, but always works with other security agencies in its operations.

According to him, if the army arrests criminals, it hands them over to the police except for insurgents detained and profiled by the army depending on the situation.

The committee chairman, Abdulrazak Namdaz, said the House was concerned with the issue of identification during the operations which, he said, was not in the purview of the army but should have been left for the police, the Nigerian Immigration Service and other security agencies.

“It cannot take effect from tomorrow (today). We have actually told them that this thing requires sensitisation, will require a lot of media work, press conferences and Nigerians need to be fully informed; we will talk to relevant authorities to see that this thing is shifted in terms of identification,” he said.

A member of the committee, Ahmed Jaha, said though the need for the operation was understandable, its concept and approach should be adjusted since it was being extended to other areas outside the main theatres of operations.

Meanwhile, human rights lawyer Femi Falana (SAN) has sued the army and the Attorney-General of the Federation over the army’s planned Operation Positive Identification (OPI) across the nation.

In the suit, which also joined the Chief of Army Staff as respondent and filed before the Federal High Court in Lagos on October 25, Falana prayed for an order of the court stopping the army from going ahead with the OPI.

He told the court that the planned nationwide operation scheduled for November 1 to December 23, 2019, “is unconstitutional, illegal, null and void.”

He argued that going by Section 217(1) of the Constitution, the Nigerian President could only deploy the armed forces for the suppression of insurrection and acting in aid of civil authorities to restore law and order. But that “There is no insurrection in every part of the country which the Nigeria police cannot contain to warrant the deployment of armed troops all over the country from November 1, 2019 to December 23, 2019.”

Falana therefore urged the court to declare that the army is not empowered to take over police duties.

Also reacting yesterday, a former Deputy Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Olabode George, described the operation as “totally wrong footed, dangerous, unprecedented, a flagrant assault upon constitutional democracy.”

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/army-begins-operation-identification-nationwide-today.html

4 Likes

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Siberia01(m): 4:22pm On Nov 01, 2019
cry

clam down has begun or began
which is correct?

manna avoid this thread

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by TheGiftedOne(m): 4:24pm On Nov 01, 2019
Meaning we must now move about with one of the following

NIMC

Driver's License

Voters Card

National I'D Card

Etc.

Well, I have two of the aforelisted....abi na Int'l passport?

#BringThemOn

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by omoiyamayor(m): 5:31pm On Nov 01, 2019
Not too bad,security comes first.if the immigration officers only wants to work at the airport then why not army intervene.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by naijadrivablog: 6:38pm On Nov 01, 2019
I thought they denied Operation +ID

85 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by BUSHHUNTER: 6:39pm On Nov 01, 2019
Police dey harass

Sars dey kill

Boko Haram dey slaughter

Fulani herdmen dey massacre

kidnappers dey operate

armed robbers dey fire

Bandit on genocide mission

Now Military movement is next

God deliver us from Pharaoh

215 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Miracle4Sure: 6:39pm On Nov 01, 2019
Okay oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Kendumazy(m): 6:39pm On Nov 01, 2019
My only concern is soldiers not abusing the exercise in maltreating people or to enrich their pockets. You will be surprised hearing your international passport isn't valid hence you need to get them settled.

It's the shirt seller again! Check my signature below for more details.

20 Likes

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by nototribalist: 6:39pm On Nov 01, 2019
This terrorist army is getting too close with civilians, it will get to a point they will want to take over power.

Anything military should be left in sambisa forest not even barracks

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Coldie(m): 6:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
If its army I fear nothing cause of there discipline, though to me this should be left to the police, this is not the job of the army

But the Nigerian police is so useless that they will turn it into an extortion ring, efcc needs to investigate our police force..

All those people quoting me and saying its a lie, that Nigerian army is not discipline, if they were not by now them for dae catch yahoo boys undecided

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by ctleurocollege: 6:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
Good grin

1 Like

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
Wow shocked shocked....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Jeezuzpick(m): 6:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
So if an Ibo trader in Awka has no id card, he is a Boko Haram insurgent from Maiduguri, abi?

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Nobody: 6:41pm On Nov 01, 2019
omoiyamayor:
Not too bad,security comes first.if the immigration officers only wants to work at the airport then why not army intervene.

Na so.. Before you know we go begin kneel down for road, do frog jump and the likes, abeg... I just need to leave here, where is my destiny helper ooo.. angry

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Trendy247: 6:41pm On Nov 01, 2019
Anoda Avenue for police to collect bribe

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by buchhy(m): 6:41pm On Nov 01, 2019
I'm in support of this but it shouldn't be an avenue to harass citizens unnecessarily

8 Likes

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by ZombieTERROR: 6:41pm On Nov 01, 2019
They should take this operation to daura and North East...

Buhari effect continues

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by LordAzubuike(f): 6:41pm On Nov 01, 2019
Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by 1mrprolific7(m): 6:42pm On Nov 01, 2019
If you dey outside this jungle. You're very lucky.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Abidob(m): 6:42pm On Nov 01, 2019
Only an enemy of the state would go against this operation... God bless Nigeria

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by emeijeh(m): 6:43pm On Nov 01, 2019
"If you do anyhow........

1 Like

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Enemyofpeace: 6:43pm On Nov 01, 2019
If i talk now lalasticlala, ishilove, mynd44 and even dominique go take me back to their yeye prison sey I abuse government. Na all of us go hear am together

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by temmypotter(m): 6:43pm On Nov 01, 2019
What rubbish!

Some people actually support this arrant nonsense?

When we all know getting even temporary nimc card na war... a lot of folks don't have this shi, This is just a flagrant display of misplaced priorities

11 Likes

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by rawpadgin(m): 6:43pm On Nov 01, 2019
angry
Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Kelvin30286063(m): 6:43pm On Nov 01, 2019
It's a good development. It happens in advance countries so why should we be different. If a police officer stops you either on the road or the walkway (in US and Co) the first thing they ask is 'can I see your ID please?' They expect that you must carry an ID which will serve as your first way to defend yourself against mistaken identity and the only way to confirm that you're actually who you said you are.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Nobody: 6:43pm On Nov 01, 2019
angry
Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by Enemyofpeace: 6:44pm On Nov 01, 2019
buchhy:
I'm in support of this but it shouldn't be an avenue to harass citizens unnecessarily
and you think the Nigeria army that we all know will not harass innocent Nigerians?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by chigoziri2403(m): 6:45pm On Nov 01, 2019
Why do Nigerians get worried when things like this happen, the handwriting has been on the wall for long

3 Likes

Re: Army Begins Operation Identification Nationwide Today by SarkinYarki: 6:45pm On Nov 01, 2019
naijadrivablog:
I thought they denied Operation +ID

So you dont know Buhari govt and lies again

13 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Boko Haram Releases New Audio, Shekau Calls Chadian President A Hypocrite / Government Supplies Us The AK-47 With Which We Kill - Repentant Bandit (Video) / Sowore, Adeyanju Lead Endsars Memorial Protest In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.