Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,493 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

The New Peugeot 3008 (P84E): First Impression - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The New Peugeot 3008 (P84E): First Impression (1811 Views)

All About The New Peugeot 3008 / PAN Unveils New-generation Peugeot 3008 In Nigeria / 5 Brand New Peugeot Cars In Nigeria And Their Prices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The New Peugeot 3008 (P84E): First Impression by Ikenna351(m): 11:56pm On Nov 02, 2019
PEUGEOT 3008 (P84E): FIRST IMPRESSION.

Of course, I have come across few of them on Abuja roads, until I sat behind steering wheel of one on 31/10/2019, at 20th Abuja International Motor Fair, 2019. The P84E is a big game changer for Peugeot.

People buy Vehicles for a lot of reasons. Most do for external validation and this new Peugeot 3008 is not an exception. But there is something about this new lion that makes all the difference. You literally gain more internal validation by just staring at the Lion's exterior, for a man like me. Every curve is well thought of and linked to another, and another, and another. You probably won't need to visit nature in some bush to sit down and appreciate good life when you own this lion, as he stares back at you every time you look at him. Weldon Peugeot!

The boot is quite big and with a Michelin spare tyre (if you are surprise, then you have no idea how many new vehicle these days that don't come with one, not even a space for it). You can open the boot with remote control or just swing one of your feet under the boot, which not only opens the boot slowly and smoothly, but closes it also, with a swing of foot. Peugeot & technological innovations! But for some reasons it refused to work the second time I tried, not until I realized the remote key was no longer with me.

The i-cockpit has been the biggest selling point of this lion. I didn't bother to flicker with the digital instrument panel, because the remaining part of the interior wouldn't let me. The good thing about the instrument cluster is that you can't view the cluster through the steering wheel, but above the steering wheel and, the default driver's seat position makes it perfect to enjoy the cluster. Speaking of steering wheel, it's small, curvy and sporty to grab and steer. I was actually surprised that some people do complain, criticize or bitch about this steering size, position and the viewing of the instrument panel from above the steering wheel not the conventional way. But then, it's Peugeot. It would be weird if these people don't bitch, even when they have never seen what newer lion keys look like. Anyway, the 8" capacitive touch screen on the dashboard is very responsive and doesn't delay when been used. However, it will be distracting to press on directly when in motion, since you have to take your eyes off the road to operate the operate the screen (remember, it's mounted in the middle top of the dashboard). You are better off doing your settings/adjustments before you drive off. Of course, the steering wheel has some control buttons that you can use instead. Also, there are physical buttons on the dashboard as well which makes more sense to use when in motion (you don't need to or have to look at manual/physical switches or buttons to operate). The rest of the interior are well packaged with premium materials. Every touch feels premium, including the leather seats. The legroom for both front and rear seats are spacious enough, even for someone like me with 6ft 3.5" tall. But personally, the person sitting behind the steering wheel enjoys the lion more than one seating on rear seat. Seating on Driver's seat is like looking down on horizon from Aeroplane in the sky. It is that good!

I wasn't expecting anything else other than automatic transmission, since about 90% of Nigerians, if not more, prefer automatic transmissions (since Stick-Shift are for the poor, Nigerian norm). So it makes sense that the one they provided at the Motor fair was Auto. However, I thought it was EAT8 transmission when I started the lion (since they couldn't find the Lion's brochure for me on time). The AT6 6-speed Automatic Gearbox in the lion is good, but not rugged, at least, as the manual transmissions. I have driven other Lions with AT6 auto trannys and I do know Peugeot advised against making it a habit to rapidly push down the throttle pedal to the floor with lions with these auto boxes (check your owner's manual). Treat the gearbox as designed though and it will serve you. Luckily, one of the recommended ATF for the AT6 gearbox in the P84E is Total ATF Fluidmatic MV LV . You can source for this fluid at Total fuel stations in Nigeria. A liter cost N3,500, at the time of publishing this article.

One of the good things about this lion engine bay is the enough space available to do whatever you want to do on the engine or whatever. The 1.6 liter THP163 Petrol Engine I met in there made it possible (even though I initially thought it was PureTech Engine). This Engine has been around since around year 2012 or so. The Engine parts and technicians with proper understanding of the workings the engine are very much available in Nigeria (depends on part of Nigeria you stay). Recommended Engine oils for this engine are also available in Nigeria, which I have pointed out or mentioned in my numerous articles, posts and videos in the past, and more to add from time to time. Of course, it's turbocharged. With good oil, you have nothing to worry about. However, I think the PureTech 130 engine with the 6-speed manual will consume less fuel, if the new Peugeot 3008 with lowest fuel consumption is one you are after. Unfortunately, it appears PAN doesn't produce this 3008 - P84E with Stick-Shift box, based on the brochure they later gave me for this lion model. Of course, the man in charge invited me to PAN showroom/office in Abuja to come and have more look, but I don't think I will see any difference.

Would I like to own this new Peugeot 3008 model? Of course yes, as long as it Stick-Shift (even though I know it will posses less power than the one I sat in on 31/10/2019). I mean, I was surprised to find out this lion is also equipped with BSI unit, making this lion as one of the best secured new SUV on Nigerian roads. Like I said earlier, even if you are one of those that buy vehicles for external validations, this particular lion will add more to it beyond your expectation. An exceptional Lion!

Starting Price is N18,351,000.

Ikenna351 - Monk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edHXyWlfzLY&t=4s

Re: The New Peugeot 3008 (P84E): First Impression by Yusuf890: 11:58pm On Nov 02, 2019
Read below
Re: The New Peugeot 3008 (P84E): First Impression by mejai(m): 8:14am On Nov 03, 2019
Nice write up bro.
Re: The New Peugeot 3008 (P84E): First Impression by Eddee(m): 9:38am On Nov 03, 2019
The Lion king - beautiful written review
Re: The New Peugeot 3008 (P84E): First Impression by NobleEngineer(m): 10:39am On Nov 03, 2019
Gives a remarkable feeling of safety, including Active Safety Brake with pedestrian detection, Active Lane Departure Warning System, Active Blind Spot Monitoring System and Adaptive cruise control with stop feature. Combine this with 360° Birds-eye view camera, City Park (self-parking technology) and High Beam Assist. the lion get all these features

(1) (Reply)

Please Sirs Is Audi 80 A Good Car? / 1994 BMW 5 Series Vs 1994 Mercedes Benz / The New BMW M9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.