Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,749 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades (55528 Views)

25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades / Masquerades Seen Giving A Man Change After The Man Offered Them Money / Masquerades At Golibe Festival Onitsha (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Chuzoetoh(m): 9:35pm On Mar 15, 2020
Aromi:
are you from ozubulu ?
Yes I'm from Ozubulu Ana-akpu. You nko?

1 Like

Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by jamalnation(m): 9:35pm On Mar 15, 2020
fatymore:
Egungun be careful na express you dey go

Motor don jam am

1 Like

Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by mrZENographer: 9:36pm On Mar 15, 2020
Bbbwings:

You're not serious. Try use our head
Is the color of your skin the same as Jesus

What does color of my skin have to do with my love for Jesus? ehh
Even the Christian brethren are one regardless of race, skin type, color. As long as we believe the samething, we are one.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Psalmy2cute(m): 9:36pm On Mar 15, 2020
cryptoexchange:
Our rate is only 5%
I mean why should I take the risk of buying or selling from you when i could always use luno or remitano??
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:36pm On Mar 15, 2020
sakabien:
When masquerade spirit start to dey disturb u for dream now u go run come Nairaland with topic like "" How can I be delivered from a stubborn ancestral masquerade spirit" mtheew...Turn to Jesus now.

Na tis masquerade

Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Nobody: 9:37pm On Mar 15, 2020
richmanrichard:
u re right.achikwu is the best dancing masqurade in igbo land. U must come frm anambra. Ekwulobia precisely.right?

They are not the best.
Each are unique in their own way.

I came from neighbouring town.
Isuofia has achìkwù too.

Nanka has òsùhù.
Like achìkwù but come out only in the night.

Enugu has wonderful adamma.

If u happen to find yourself in arondizogu during their ikeji, u will feed your eyes or go to any ofala festival.
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Nobody: 9:39pm On Mar 15, 2020
kay9:

My grandfather used to carry the Achikwu. smiley
Really shocked

Ekwulobia has 2 sets of achìkwù if I can recollect.
From different villages
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by nengibo: 9:40pm On Mar 15, 2020
Ekpe and Ekpo are borrowed from the AkwaIbom people
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Nobody: 9:40pm On Mar 15, 2020
[quote author=mikywonder post=87473484][/quote]
I'm trying to wrap my head around ogbaagu.

Can u help me out please.

Ogbaagu ekwulobia, right?
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by nolywe(m): 9:43pm On Mar 15, 2020
I am not seeing aji buusu and ote nkwu...im out...born and brought up in abakpa nti ike

1 Like

Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by AreaFada2: 9:45pm On Mar 15, 2020
Ah! Millions of audio masquerade jobs from Lai Mohammed.
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by amaniro: 9:45pm On Mar 15, 2020
In Abia state we identify our masquerade as "Ekpo"
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Nobody: 9:45pm On Mar 15, 2020
Masquerades symbolises demons.
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by DeeMain(m): 9:46pm On Mar 15, 2020
rossi49ja:
always thought it was 'obodo awara oso'

Same here

1 Like

Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Fogman(m): 9:46pm On Mar 15, 2020
Shelloween:
4. Agaba:
The Agaba masquerade as a character is that of a warrior represented in its name that literally connotes “lets go”. The Agaba major attribute is warrior-like prowess, which specializes, in ritual manifestations. The chanting that accompanies the Agaba cut across ethnic dialects and cultures among the Igbos.

5. Odo:
Odo is a masquerade of the Igbo people peculiar to the northern Igbo people of Enugu State. Odo masquerade represents a deity who affords the living a chance to commune with their dead in line with the Igbo Traditional belief. During Odo festival, The dead is said to work freely among the living.

6. Ekpe:
The Ekpe masquerade is popular among the Igbo of Abia State, Enugu state and Ebonyi State. Most Ekpe masquerade are used to enforce law in the community and its said to be the link to their ancestors.

7. Igariga:
There are also the crowd masquerades that are used during burial ceremonies of titled men and at ofala festivals. Such masquerades are common among young men and usually carry canes with which they scare people away.

8. Ekpo:
The Ekpo masquerade acts as a police man who enforces the laws of the land especially the laws of the Ekpo. The Ekpo masquerade is popular among the Igbo of Abia state especially those within Arochukwu.

9. Omewaluigwe:
The Omewaluigwe on its own side is a wise masquerade in the sense that it is known for its talkative nature. It goes around making proverbs and speaking parables, while its followers and the audience applaud it.

10. Agbogho mmuo:
Agbogho Mmuo masquerade are maiden spirit masks that represent the spirit of dead girls that have manifested in the dancer to come back to parade in their communities. The masks also symbolise the ideals of female beauty among many Nri-Awka Igbo communities.

11. Mmanwu Ugo:
Mmanwu Ugo, Eagle masquerade is an entertainment masquerade popular among the people of Anambra. These assume the appearance of the creatures that they have their names attached. And during their display, they do things that are peculiar to those creatures.

12. Enyikwonwa:
Enyi kwo nwa is a popular masquerade among the igbo of Enugu state, The masquerade which are usually two in number are accompanied by it cult members. While the masquerade perform to to tone of the music being played by its cult member, its charm carrier clears the way for them.

13. Mmanwu Atu :
These assume the appearance of the creatures that they have their names attached. And during their display, they do things that are peculiar to those creatures.

14. Mkpamkpankụ:
is a very serious, fully masculine-featured masquerade. Mkpamkpankụ is brisk, aggressive, agile and notorious in its own way. It has the appearance of a person. This masquerade is active to the extent that about two or more strong men are ever around it to with the rope that is tied around its west to draw it back from over acting.

15. Odum mmanwu:
These assume the appearance of the creatures that they have their names attached. And during their display, they do things that are peculiar to those creatures.

16. Otawaru Ikpo:
Otawaru Ikpo is a dreadful but entertaining masquerade with mystical powers that enables it dance on cassava leaves.

17. Odogwu:
The ODOGWU masquerade is a youthful and aggressive character represented by a mask that insinuates “Bloodshot eyed rebel”. Its major attribute is demonstration of youthfulness with specialty in intimidation. The Odogwu is also known for the highly charged chanting that accompany its rhythms.

18. Ojionu:
The Ojionu masquerade is a water spirit character represented by a headdress of crocodiles, sharks and other water creatures. The major attribute of Ojionu is creative non-stop dancing.

19. Okwomma:
The Okwomma: is the type that carries a cutlass, well sharpened. It uses this to shake hands, to collect money and to greet people who are in the cult, or other great masquerades.

20. Ngwu:
Ngwu is a popular igbo masquerade named after the ngwu deity, the ngwo masquerade only comes out once if a while or during the burial of a great man or initiate in the community, Ngwu masquerades are great dancers. Most ngwu masquerade are seen at the graveside of an initiate lamenting just before and after the person has been laid to rest.

21. Ebu:
The Ebu masquerades usually come out of a box, the masquerade have the ability to fold itself like a paper, grow very tall and also make itself short.

22. Omaba:
Omaba is a popular Igbo masquerade among the Igbos within the northern Igbo area of Nsukka, Omaba masquerade comes in different masks and mostly appear and display during the omaba festival.

23. Mgbadike:
Mgbadike is a warrior masquerade which wields axes and cutlass, and its guide would use the cutlass to cut open his mouth without inflicting any injury on himself.

24. Udo Akpu Enyi:
The Okwomma is the type that carries a cutlass, well sharpened. It uses this to shake hands, to collect money and to greet people who are in the cult, or other great masquerades.

25. Ajofia:
Ajofia meaning Evil forest is a popular masquerade from the nnewi axis of Anambra state, it is said that Ajofia doesn’t come out during festive periods, only when a “Strong” titled man passes on.

Interesting
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Shakaranews2020: 9:48pm On Mar 15, 2020
kingk:

South South ko north north no.... Pls is there anything like that word South South?

I'm Niger Deltan.
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Aromi: 9:48pm On Mar 15, 2020
Chuzoetoh:
Yes I'm from Ozubulu Ana-akpu. You nko?
ok i am from oraifite
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by amaniro: 9:48pm On Mar 15, 2020
nengibo:
Ekpe and Ekpo are borrowed from the AkwaIbom people
No actually. Abia state Arochukwu/ohafia side share similar cultures with Akwa ibom. So it'll be an illogical statement to say one borrowed ones language. We too in Umuahia call it ekpo. Until I went for a seminar and they described one man as "Nnukwu Mao" I didnt know what it meant then, I asked my mom she told me its also masquerade but that's not Anambra people call it.
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by SweetCunt97(f): 9:51pm On Mar 15, 2020
No Adanma?

2 Likes

Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Chuzoetoh(m): 9:51pm On Mar 15, 2020
Aromi:
ok i am from oraifite
we share the same local government. Nwanne kedu?
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by michealdeco: 9:51pm On Mar 15, 2020
nolywe:
I am not seeing aji buusu and ote nkwu...im out...born and brought up in abakpa nti ike
are you from agulu anambra State?

Cus that's where Aji buusu is known mostly

1 Like

Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by francisisking: 9:52pm On Mar 15, 2020
shortgun:
Wow...our culture is too rich and sweet.
The white man really destroyed us..I hope we will wake up and recover.
God forbid bad thing

1 Like

Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by richmanrichard: 9:53pm On Mar 15, 2020
michealdeco:
achikwu

A very rare masquerade that can only be seen in aguata /Ekwulobia village
ekwulobia is a town
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Nobody: 9:53pm On Mar 15, 2020
Mateen1000:
Igbo Thread, I’m OUT undecided
E pain am grin

2 Likes

Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Aromi: 9:56pm On Mar 15, 2020
Chuzoetoh:
we share the same local government. Nwanne kedu?
and common boundary nna udo di
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by alexispaul(m): 9:56pm On Mar 15, 2020
Egungun be careful na express you dey go..
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Nobody: 9:57pm On Mar 15, 2020
what's all this, thank God for civilization shaa.....
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by michealdeco: 10:01pm On Mar 15, 2020
richmanrichard:
ekwulobia is a town
is their anything bad in calling it a village?
sad sad
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Dominatrix(f): 10:04pm On Mar 15, 2020
Beautiful!
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by engrchykae(m): 10:07pm On Mar 15, 2020
shortgun:
Wow...our culture is too rich and sweet.
The white man really destroyed us..I hope we will wake up and recover.
this masquerades hides the secrets of the elementals and the essences by which the universe operates.
There is one the ogbaru people of anambra celebrates,I understood it to be the essence of resilience,it is inside of a wooden box,it grows taller than a nepa pole and sways with the dancing movements of it's cultmen.
When they are through,it will become so small to be covered in the box,one of the elders will carry it his head and go.
The earlier we start preserving and teaching our children the cultures the better for us.
Me am interested in knowing these things.the white man never left his own tradition rather he combined his tradition into Christianity such as Xmas and Easter which happened to be Caucasian rituals.
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by BULLIONVAN4(m): 10:08pm On Mar 15, 2020
Mood11:
Enwelu nnukwu muonwu nwe otinkpu grin

Nnukwu muonwu puta, ogbenye awara Oso grin

Otinkpu a'neti gbulugbulu bu uku ose tongue
I know that song!

Team Oliver De Coque

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Dead Bodies Are Buried Six Feet Under The Ground / Motorcycle Made In Akwa Ibom, Nigeria / What Are You? Yoruba, Ibo or Hausa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.