Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,113 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) (17744 Views)

NNPC Secures $3bn Loan To Stabilise The Naira / Buhari Clueless As Criminals Overrun Nigeria - Punch / FG Seeks Fresh $1.2 Billion Loan From Brazil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by mmsen: 7:09am On Nov 04, 2019
Akanoaaa:
Only God can deliver us from this government. Always borrow and they want to kill us with taxation in different dimension but still, nothing sensible to write home about. I don tire.

There is no 'god' to save you.

It is this juvenile thinking that has allowed Nigeria become what it is.

1 Like

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by HumanityOne: 7:12am On Nov 04, 2019
Awon oloriburuku gbogbo.

Why not decentralise power..... Why cease power from all state to produce their own electricity and collect the money to bust their IGR. Why not allow every state to have their own Nepa, their own electricity company.

Why must it be FG in Abuja that will be doing everything for more that 1.8million people. How do you expect it to work.

Resource abound in all states of Nigeria Dear FG refuse to let state have the power to tap anything out of it. Whereas if all state can tap its resources no state will be here at the end of the month begging FG for allocation.

Why not allow each state have its own power, thereby having its own border, its own custom, its own police, its own rail way system, why must it be that only FG can do rail way, and only the state that go begging to do the biding of FG that are allowed to do some Rail network. Why not shed more power to all state and allow all the money made is south east state there, north stay there and west stay there. Why must it be that money from lagos is going to Abuja and money in east going to Abuja and also north to Abuja and at the end one leader use it for self interest of its tribe alone.

Why not leave it to allow to do this and allow do competition of which state is able to invest in many comanpies, tap its resources and make its state one of the best... There we willl only vote governors who are creaative to establish many thing to boast the state not the moneybag looters that are clueless imp mofos that has not to do but are there with no creative thinking but to loot and go.

To me FG is the one that makes Nigerians poor, that make people in our nations so poor with his evil constitution, and some tribe are taking advantage of it that if one tribe is nor rich no tribe will be until they all reach the same level that they will allow the other tribes free..

My suggestion: The road we are now is breaking and each tribe go its way and make solution for its people.

As at now Nigeria is a commodity.

1 Like

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by Centcanada: 7:18am On Nov 04, 2019
This government has borrowed money to the extent that our generation unborn can never even pay for the debt. This is what we got when illiterate rule the literate.

2 Likes

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by UncleJudax(m): 7:35am On Nov 04, 2019
Akanoaaa:
Only God can deliver us from this government. Always borrow and they want to kill us with taxation in different dimension but still, nothing sensible to write home about. I don tire.
God? grin
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by galadima77(m): 7:44am On Nov 04, 2019
hisgrace090:
In a country that has conscience this 3 billion dollar plus will build a workable power for them from scratch but for here it may hardly add 500 megawatts of power.

No progress, no change until we stop deceiving ourselves.

An observation: you build power generating plants and sold to cronnies, then gave them money to run it. Now it's in shambles

Now you building another one with public funds that may end up with cronnies again. Why not let the so called gencos build new power plant?

Everything keeps bringing hardship to the citizens. Is governance that difficult?

1 Like

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by ojay2053(m): 8:03am On Nov 04, 2019
grin grin grin
What money can’t buy for naija populace.

Since I was born, not now that I am old you go come dey whine me nii
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by showafrica(m): 8:04am On Nov 04, 2019
chloride6:
Anything asides from using that money to provide meters so that we can all go prepaid is a waste of money

Prepaid is the way to go, I enjoy it alot. No light no payment. My problem now is that even we all get prepaid, as a govt that like milking her citizens, they might make it 100Naira per KW almost equal to 1 liter of fuel. Even at that its still better than generators.
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by bixton(m): 8:08am On Nov 04, 2019
anonimi:

And the solution is........................................

1) Let the government look at the MOUs signed with the respective discos and see who has achieved whatever meaningful if there is.......
2) Audit all accounts of companies.
3) Recall all license(s) of those in default. I'm certain all are in default.
4) Open a bidding and resell to reputable companies like GE, NLNG, ENI/SPDC (JV) and if there be any reputable company.
5) Let the companies enter into an MOU with communities where their equipment will be situated putting them into some sort of clusters. The government should have representatives and be on the known about each MOU.
6) Companies in 4 above like GE and ENI/SPDC(JV) should be responsible for generation and distribution of power for national grid, while NLNG be vested with the responsible of generation/distribution in cluster areas as done in Bonny Island and environs.
cool Let there be a 6 year review of all works done with an anticipated need to inject and increase power
7) Let the companies in 4 above be responsible to sort out subsidiaries responsible for monitoring, maintenance and billing.
cool Let anyone stealing power generation/distribution equipment be sentenced to death. Also anyone buying same equipment from anyone who is not licenced and an authority to sell same should be sentenced to death.
9) And lots more.

10)https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_electricity_consumption&hl=en-NG

If you look at the link you'll see that we are a very unserious nation. Though the source is CIA I can tell you that its not entirely true. If you use the international standard for electricity usage /consumption by any home on monthly/annual basis giving our desires for wastage, that amount stipulated there is even on the high side.
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by hisgrace090: 8:10am On Nov 04, 2019
galadima77:

An observation: you build power generating plants and sold to cronnies, then gave them money to run it. Now it's in shambles

Now you building another one with public funds that may end up with cronnies again. Why not let the so called gencos build new power plant?

Everything keeps bringing hardship to the citizens. Is governance that difficult?

We're moving backward constantly without minding.

3 Likes

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by Olamywealth10: 8:44am On Nov 04, 2019
But na who 9ja offend gaa an self? chai~~~~ this is a failed country. tuuuuufiaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by Staro: 8:51am On Nov 04, 2019
Nigeria is disgrace of a country

1 Like

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by justtoodark: 9:04am On Nov 04, 2019
i dont even have electric wahala no more....solar and savin power....it realy works with batteries....
but you need to invest alot at first.... undecided undecided....not cheap....

nigerians must have altenative....its a satanic agenda to keep you low....
nigeria already have capacity of 20000megawatt installed and cant be deliverd to end-users....??

dont you people find that strange....??
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by chloride6: 9:14am On Nov 04, 2019
showafrica:

Prepaid is the way to go, I enjoy it alot. No light no payment. My problem now is that even we all get prepaid, as a govt that like milking her citizens, they might make it 100Naira per KW almost equal to 1 liter of fuel. Even at that its still better than generators.

If we all go prepaid and they raise the price, it will encourage investment in Nigeria's electricity industry.

It's a win win to everyone.
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by anonimi: 9:26am On Nov 04, 2019
bixton:
1) Let the government look at the MOUs signed with the respective discos and see who has achieved whatever meaningful if there is.......
2) Audit all accounts of companies.
3) Recall all license(s) of those in default. I'm certain all are in default.
4) Open a bidding and resell to reputable companies like GE, NLNG, ENI/SPDC (JV) and if there be any reputable company.
5) Let the companies enter into an MOU with communities where their equipment will be situated putting them into some sort of clusters. The government should have representatives and be on the known about each MOU.
6) Companies in 4 above like GE and ENI/SPDC(JV) should be responsible for generation and distribution of power for national grid, while NLNG be vested with the responsible of generation/distribution in cluster areas as done in Bonny Island and environs.
cool Let there be a 6 year review of all works done with an anticipated need to inject and increase power
7) Let the companies in 4 above be responsible to sort out subsidiaries responsible for monitoring, maintenance and billing.
cool Let anyone stealing power generation/distribution equipment be sentenced to death. Also anyone buying same equipment from anyone who is not licenced and an authority to sell same should be sentenced to death.
9) And lots more.

10)https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_electricity_consumption&hl=en-NG

If you look at the link you'll see that we are a very unserious nation. Though the source is CIA I can tell you that its not entirely true. If you use the international standard for electricity usage /consumption by any home on monthly/annual basis giving our desires for wastage, that amount stipulated there is even on the high side.

Unserious and insincere, baddest combo for guaranteed failure undecided embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by grandstar(m): 9:28am On Nov 04, 2019
bixton:

The market is not working because those who bought the discos don't want it to work...........
If you like provide incentives for discos to be sold to well capitalised buyers: there are no well capitalised buyers. Those guys will in turn buy the companies back. When it comes to stealing our ingenuity is well expected. As long as government keeps giving these guys all manner of soft loans we will remain where we are.
If I may, how many of these discos have been able to accomplish just one item on their MOU?
Absolutely NONE.

Many have legitimate complaints and the loudest of all complaints is that the electricity charge is too low. It does not cover costs.

The lessons from GSM is instructive.MTN and other private operators charged market rates for their services and they have become mighty behemoths and have revolutionised the telecoms industry forever. When they started, there were only 400,000 lines in a country of about 100m. Mow, there are over 100m lines!

On the other hand, NITEL, which chose to charged markets rates packed up. This should be a lesson. The Disco's are no different from NITEL today.

As long as they are prevented from dictating their preferred rates, they will denied the funds they need to invest
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by urahara(m): 9:30am On Nov 04, 2019
grandstar:

Many have legitimate complaints and the loudest of all complaints is that the electricity charge is too low. It does not cover costs.

The lessons from GSM is instructive.MTN and other private operators charged market rates for their services and they have become mighty behemoths and have revolutionised the telecoms industry forever. When they started, there were only 400,000 lines in a country of about 100m. Mow, there are over 100m lines!

As long as they are prevented from dictating their preferred rates, they will denied the funds they need to invest

If the electricity charge doesn't cover cost , why have they been in business for so long ?

1 Like

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by themanderon: 10:41am On Nov 04, 2019
Burdening future generations with debt they may not be able to pay. May the hand of the most high be against all these wicked oafs we have as leaders.
The solution to this power issue is simple, allow states with the wherewithal to build and supply electricity do so. This will ease up the the national grid and make power available to those who cannot. But the idiotic leaders we have here have continually frustrated every effort made by some states all because of their evil parochial agendas.
I remember about 10yrs ago the UK was paying their different power generating companies to scale down or shut down their plants all because they had excess power to distribute but here our government has frustrated every genuine effort to ease up on this power issue because they stand to gain more if the nation is in darkness. A shame of a nation.

2 Likes

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by AuroraB(f): 11:10am On Nov 04, 2019
InvertedHammer:

/
They should bring BBN twice a year to keep the f00ls entertained while their futures are frittered away.

/
You mean, you have given up on your Buhari? Is he no longer the Messiah you wished on your own while tucked away abroad shocked
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by deenee: 11:21am On Nov 04, 2019
bixton:

You're certainly a staff of the company.
Let a reputable auditing firm visit the books of these companies and all will be another story.

I am not a staff of any company. We have the lowest electricity tarrif regime on the world.

People need to understand how this power thing works from generation to transmission to distribution and collections.

Gencos will only generate if there are confirmed off takers and NBET does this on behalf of the Discos. Govt has refused to let go of transmission saying it's a critical asset yet they refused to upgrade the transmission facilities and also fix prices for the Discos and people also refuse to pay for consumption.

I tire for this country.
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by TheExecutioner: 12:37pm On Nov 04, 2019
[img]https://images./66T2aAxaSFZIys6pNuNwL1.jpg[/img]

ken6488:
Yeah I said that..

wink There is constant light here come and beat me

1 Like

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by Ken4Christ: 2:52pm On Nov 04, 2019
A new law should be passed that places responsibility of payment of loans by any government who borrows. Otherwise, they should be made to pay the loan from their private pocket after they are out of government. The borrowing by this government is a sign of financial recklessness. It is too much. After, they will start taxing citizens that did not eat the money with them. This country tire me.
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by Fastlinkpro: 2:58pm On Nov 04, 2019
When they newly entered power all blame was on PDP, now what?

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by bixton(m): 7:31pm On Nov 04, 2019
deenee:

I am not a staff of any company. We have the lowest electricity tarrif regime on the world.

People need to understand how this power thing works from generation to transmission to distribution and collections.

Gencos will only generate if there are confirmed off takers and NBET does this on behalf of the Discos. Govt has refused to let go of transmission saying it's a critical asset yet they refused to upgrade the transmission facilities and also fix prices for the Discos and people also refuse to pay for consumption.

I tire for this country.

Like I said you're a staff of the company or probably speaking like one.
The bold is like listening to the comments of some politicians who does not even pay electricity bills.
We keep hearing the tariffs in Nigeria is one of the lowest in the world; The salaries collected by the legislators, is it the lowest in the world even judging by a less developed country?
Please don't even tell your children that crap of a story because I will never buy it.

We have been having increase in tariffs since after the civil war and no one can claim to have gotten premiun service from any of the service providers. Do you know how often private citizens use personal monies to procure transforms, high tension cables,etc, etc, to live a comfortable life and you're talking about low tariff and will still be made to pay light bills ........

I wonder how some of us will agree to certain things...........
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by bixton(m): 7:44pm On Nov 04, 2019
grandstar:

On the other hand, NITEL, which chose to charged markets rates packed up. This should be a lesson. The Disco's are no different from NITEL today.

You fellas make me to laugh. Your likes are the reason why Nigeria will remain a shit in a hole.
Do you know how much profits MTN made in Nigeria from when they came till present, putting the challengees into consideration, etc, etc.............
They have made more profits for eternity which can never be compared to that made in South Africa.

If you are using total deregulation of the sector, have you ever sat down to look at the standard of living of countries we keep comparing our hole of a country with...............

Have you also checked the quality of service being rendered in all these countries we keep comparing our low tariffs with that we intend to increase the tariff.

All this false clamour we keep saying our tariffs are the lowest

Just a little deviation....
What is the price of a bag of Dangote cement in Nigeria compared to same in Angola, Namibia, Malawi, and other African countries its being sold?
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by grandstar(m): 12:30am On Nov 05, 2019
bixton:

You fellas make me to laugh. Your likes are the reason why Nigeria will remain a shit in a hole.
Do you know how much profits MTN made in Nigeria from when they came till present, putting the challengees into consideration, etc, etc.............
They have made more profits for eternity which can never be compared to that made in South Africa.

If you are using total deregulation of the sector, have you ever sat down to look at the standard of living of countries we keep comparing our hole of a country with...............

Have you also checked the quality of service being rendered in all these countries we keep comparing our low tariffs with that we intend to increase the tariff.

All this false clamour we keep saying our tariffs are the lowest

Just a little deviation....
What is the price of a bag of Dangote cement in Nigeria compared to same in Angola, Namibia, Malawi, and other African countries its being sold?

Your cynicism is worrisome.

You claim deregulation of the price is wrong and with the same breath speak of the standard of living of the countries that deregulated.

Just across the border in Benin Republic, electricity charges are far costlier than it is in Nigeria. Electricity there is constant. If poorer Benin can pay higher tariffs, what's your cynicism about? In most francophone country, electricity is quite dear and they are all poorer than Nigeria.

The purpose of further liberalisation of the sector is to allow new entrants ințo the business. This competition will lead to moderation of tariffs were tariffs be deregulated.

MTN making massive profits is no big deal. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Tbey came in when demand was super hot and it had only one and eventually 2 competitors and now 3. Any smart investor would have done likewise. The country has benefited massively from the telecom revolution and the same is needed in the electricity sector.

Companies must be able to charge tariffs that not only cover cost but also give them a profit.

Nigerians have gotten accustomed to either free or very cheap payments for electricity and petrol and don't want things changed. This is very big challenge.

People who have implicit faith in market will repeat similar statements like mine.

When Poland wanted to end communism in the late 1980s, it chose shock therapy which involve freeing the prices of most hoods and services. This brought great pain but within 3years, created a very strong economy that has never suffered a recession till date.

Others such as Russia which chose a much slower and gentler economic reform endured long economic decline or slow insignificant growths.

Implicit faith in the market is the key. A very poor wretched country can apply market reforms of much richer countries and get fantastic results.

Freeing tariff prices will cause a lot of pain initially but the gains will be huge for the country just like that of the telecom sector.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by grandstar(m): 12:47am On Nov 05, 2019
bixton:

The market is not working because those who bought the discos don't want it to work...........
If you like provide incentives for discos to be sold to well capitalised buyers: there are no well capitalised buyers. Those guys will in turn buy the companies back. When it comes to stealing our ingenuity is well expected. As long as government keeps giving these guys all manner of soft loans we will remain where we are.
If I may, how many of these discos have been able to accomplish just one item on their MOU?
Absolutely NONE.

Are you sure they don't want it to work?They are undercapitalised hence lack the resources to invest a.d fully upgrade. The foreign energy firms who have both the money and technical knowhow refused to come in directly as Nigeria is a country that disregards contracts.

Government must stop giving them soft loans. They are simpyong throwing money at the problem and not correcting it.

DISCOS found seriouly wanting shpuld have their license withdrawn so they can be taken over.

1 Like

Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by bixton(m): 6:46pm On Nov 05, 2019
grandstar:

Your cynicism is worrisome.

You claim deregulation of the price is wrong and with the same breath speak of the standard of living of the countries that deregulated.

Just across the border in Benin Republic, electricity charges are far costlier than it is in Nigeria. Electricity there is constant. If poorer Benin can pay higher tariffs, what's your cynicism about? In most francophone country, electricity is quite dear and they are all poorer than Nigeria.

The purpose of further liberalisation of the sector is to allow new entrants ințo the business. This competition will lead to moderation of tariffs were tariffs be deregulated.

MTN making massive profits is no big deal. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Tbey came in when demand was super hot and it had only one and eventually 2 competitors and now 3. Any smart investor would have done likewise. The country has benefited massively from the telecom revolution and the same is needed in the electricity sector.

Companies must be able to charge tariffs that not only cover cost but also give them a profit.

Nigerians have gotten accustomed to either free or very cheap payments for electricity and petrol and don't want things changed. This is very big challenge.

People who have implicit faith in market will repeat similar statements like mine.

When Poland wanted to end communism in the late 1980s, it chose shock therapy which involve freeing the prices of most hoods and services. This brought great pain but within 3years, created a very strong economy that has never suffered a recession till date.

Others such as Russia which chose a much slower and gentler economic reform endured long economic decline or slow insignificant growths.

Implicit faith in the market is the key. A very poor wretched country can apply market reforms of much richer countries and get fantastic results.

Freeing tariff prices will cause a lot of pain initially but the gains will be huge for the country just like that of the telecom sector.

Sorry to say there are no huge gains to benefit no matter the changes that occur even at freeing tariffs.
I've still not benefited from the services of telecom companies especially MTN.
It's all rip off.
That's what Nigerians are good at and will always give valid reasons.
Re: Power: FG Seeks Fresh $3bn Loan As Darkness Pervades Nigeria(Punch) by bixton(m): 6:48pm On Nov 05, 2019
grandstar:

Are you sure they don't want it to work?They are undercapitalised hence lack the resources to invest a.d fully upgrade. The foreign energy firms who have both the money and technical knowhow refused to come in directly as Nigeria is a country that disregards contracts.

Government must stop giving them soft loans. They are simpyong throwing money at the problem and not correcting it.

DISCOS found seriouly wanting shpuld have their license withdrawn so they can be taken over.

A company that really wants to work will sort out her loans and not collect soft loans from the government.
These discos have benefited more than and have not given anything tangible in return.
How many years since the selling of discos, yet nothing meaningful has been seen. All we have is blames throwing around.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How CBN's CRR Policy Will Kill The Economy - Akin Oyebode / Steer Clear Of My Charity, Kingsley Kuku Tells EFCC / Why President Buhari Is The Best For Nigeria - Lai Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.