Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out (7683 Views)

10 Tips To Help You Grab The Employer’s Attention With Your CV / Ten Mistakes You Must Avoid In Your CV / Why Recruiters Are Deleting Your CV On Sight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:14am On Nov 05, 2019
Just in case you don’t know, employers receive thousands of applications for a single job vacancy posted. This means that for you to gain the employers attention, you must make your resume stand out. The bad news is that most people don’t have the right CV to make an impression. The cool thing is that you can learn to make your CV stand out from others.

Companies generally look to find the right candidates in a short time as possible. They try to look for someone with adequate experience, skills, and qualifications, and they try to achieve all these within the shortest possible time. This has made even qualified graduates to miss out interview calls due to their CV structure.

So how do you make your resume stand out? How do you grab the hiring manager’s attention?

Let see the tips to make your resume stand out below;

1. Use of Keywords

Hiring Managers often concentrate on keywords while sourcing CVs from a pool of resumes. Make your CV keywords savvy, instead of using general languages. Employing the use of too many technical words or too general languages will make your CV practically invincible to the employer. Instead, you should look to adding specific keywords to your resume to increase your chances of standing out.

N.B: No recruiter takes the pain of viewing every CV one after the other.

2. Tailor it to the Job

I don’t really mean you should lie! But you should adopt each CV for any job you are applying for. You can do that by removing job descriptions that are not in line with the job you are applying for or removing work experiences that don’t count.

3. Follow Specific Requirement on the Job Advert

Most times going against job requirements can be your greatest undoing. Most job Ads might read “not more than 2 years’ experience”, and it would be bad to have more than that on your resume. Some job adverts might ask you to include some certain points. If that be the case, then you should do it.

4. Use a Nice Email

The best email format might be the combination of your first name and last name. The use of “underscores”, “hyphens”, “full-stops” might not be favorable to a HR in a hurry.

In most cases, there might be an error in the spelling, and you might end up not getting an invite that was originally sent to you.

5. Use Power Words

It is advised that you list your achievements and not the responsibilities you carried out. When describing your accomplishments, you should try and use power words. These are those words that demonstrate your abilities. E.g. includes: advised, upgraded, increased, managed, influenced, etc.

6. Learn to use numbers

In addition to the use of power words, employing numbers makes more sense in a CV than giving out vague words. If for example, you were able to close deals as a marketer, you should write something like;

“I was able to close 6 business deals within 4 months”

Putting numbers on your accomplishments show how relevant you are to the position you are applying for.

7. Format your CV the Right Way

This is one of the biggest mistake job seekers make. Hiring managers have just 5 seconds to make an impression on your CV; therefore your format should be just perfect. Just like a blog post, you should make the recruiter have all information about you without stress. Some tips to help you with this include;

- Simple fonts
- Aligned texts
- Avoid large paragraph of texts
- Employ the consistent use of bullet points (they are less distracting)
- Have a unique career summary

8. Have a Profile

Just very few people have profiles on their resume. To stand out, you need to place a brief profile at the top of your resume. It should bear your strengths, abilities and skills. The profile could be a simple sentence like “An all-around software developer, proficient in Java, C++, C# languages”

It gives a clue of who you are already.

9. Proof Read

Nothing decreases the worth of a job seeker like grammatical errors. Read your resume out loud. You should check out for factual errors, gaps, and how it sounds to the human brain. Reading it out loud will help you detect errors fast and efficient.

10. Make the CV as concise as possible

The rule of writing a CV is to keep it simple and structured. Having a length CV with lots of pages is a huge turn-off to hiring managers. If you’ve already gotten lots of work experience which makes it difficult to keep your CV simple, then you should turn over to a professional for help.

These are the basic steps to make your CV stand out. Remember that there is nothing worse to a recruiter as bad grammar and spelling mistakes. Always remember to tailor your CV to the job, Proof-read, and follow-up on the Organization.

I wish you all the best in your job hunt.

https://patrickokunima.com/make-your-cv-stand-out-with-these-10-tips/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:31am On Nov 05, 2019
Very good thread.

We hope applicants can learn from this great thread.

It's worth reading.

Alll the best job seekers.

All of us cannot be entrepreneur TRULY!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by princeSammyz: 7:32am On Nov 05, 2019
Good one. Someone help me with the translation of Femi MO by Asa. Thanks guys. Lala take this comment to front page. LOL
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by vibbb: 7:32am On Nov 05, 2019
Ok, very educating.
It's good to standard out, but your cv in this country stands out when you are highly connected.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by Sarmiz24(m): 7:33am On Nov 05, 2019
Shay una no dey tire to write CV?
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by kponkedenge(m): 7:33am On Nov 05, 2019
Good
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by Slawormir: 7:33am On Nov 05, 2019
Okay
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 05, 2019
Just in the right time for me

Take your business to the next level through Social media marketing. Check my Signature for my WhatsApp
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by Maj196(m): 7:44am On Nov 05, 2019
OP I nor won hear say u no get Job oo
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by arodavoo(m): 7:46am On Nov 05, 2019
Thanks so much OP... In as much as you need a cv, connection yẹn lọ shey koko!!

Check my profile to learn importation from china, Turkey Malaysia UK and USA

I would teach and guide you on importation of Hair from china, India, Vietnam and cambodia
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by duality(m): 7:51am On Nov 05, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

Read more at: https://patrickokunima.com/make-your-cv-stand-out-with-these-10-tips/

cc

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Dominique

How do you tailor a CV when you do not have sufficient requisite skills and experience for the job.
Have you ever recruited a person based on other considerations other than the JD?

I've seen roles created at the time of interview for a very strong candidate who applied for an available role
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by chinchonglee(m): 7:53am On Nov 05, 2019
CV doesn't mean anything abeg.

We go school go learn CV writing

1 Like

Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by Professorcplus(m): 8:14am On Nov 05, 2019
You didn't mention about the address location you applied with it goes a long way o.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by KayCee92(m): 9:11am On Nov 05, 2019
And more importantly be a girl with huge back and front asset, this point is so vital that it is the make or break of your entire CV. grin grin good luck
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by Nobody: 10:41am On Nov 05, 2019
You mentioned my core competency today, java and android development.
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by Teejay13(m): 10:50am On Nov 05, 2019
Nice thread
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 05, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

https://patrickokunima.com/make-your-cv-stand-out-with-these-10-tips/

Kindly send an example if such a CV(e.g yours) to my email

Thanks
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by t4real19(m): 3:24pm On Nov 05, 2019
instead of writing all these many stories, pls help us with a CV format so we can edit it with our details. that's the best way you can help. we keep hearing make your CV standout and we keep doing what you asked us to do but still yet nothing.
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by tayo200(m): 10:05pm On Nov 05, 2019
like seriously, I don't find this talk talk talk helpful that much.. it's better if a format is available, then we edit to out taste... please...
Re: 10 Tips To Make Your CV Stand Out by Ajibade123(m): 11:41pm On Nov 05, 2019
in your CV you need to have more certifications as possible.....see easy certifications you can add to your CV
https://explicitsuccess.com/easy-certifications-to-add-to-your-resume/

(1) (Reply)

Etisalat Retail Advisor / Interested In Human Resources? View HR Jobs In Nigeria Today. / Be Your Own Boss - See A Nairalander's Work Routine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.