Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,531 members, 7,837,032 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos (25435 Views)

What Is That Diabolical Sign To Look Out For While Renting An Apartment? / Why Renting An Apartment In Lagos Is So Expensive / Safety Tips When Renting A Property In Lagos| Cotenant.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by Tompowersolar(m): 10:32pm On Nov 06, 2019
*Tompower Solution and Services*

Land For Sale

Good land for sale, 80 by 100 land in a business friendly location, just by the main Road.

Price: #35M

For pictures or inspection Call: 09061969669 09072295948
Forward details to tompowersolution@gmail.com or visit our office at No:70 jakpa road, warri, Delta State.*Tompower Solution and Services*

Land For Sale

Good land for sale, 100 by 200 land in a business friendly location, just by the main Road.

Cost=#35M

Call: 09061969669 09072295948
Forward details to tompowersolution@gmail.com or visit our office at No:70 jakpa road, warri, Delta State.A three bed room bongalow avalaible for outright purchase (for sale) at Jeddo, warri environ after warri refinary.
100meters away from the road.
Measurement :90by100
Amont=#9M
Interested call for pictures and inspection

Call: 09061969669

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by arrestdarrester: 11:35pm On Nov 06, 2019
Hidden fees such as TRAFFIC FEES that you pay in manhours

1 Like

Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by CodeTemplar: 3:05am On Nov 07, 2019
computergeek:
Lol... You did not add mental health fees.

I'll keep saying it, everyone living in Lagos should keep a part of their earnings aside to take care of their mental health. Let's remove the inherent anger everybody there seems to foster and focus on the traffic. Traffic takes a new meaning in Lag.

I visited Lagos for two weeks during my NYSC and I've never gone back. How can someone leave her home at 4:30 am for an 8:00am job only to return at 10:00pm when they close at 6:00?

You get to spend more time on road than on the job itself... Thats a big waste of life and it explains why Lagos can't compare to China. In china the job takes the best and longest time and not transportation to and fro the job. Tinubu & co has failed in Lag.

2 Likes

Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by favour32(m): 7:12am On Nov 07, 2019
computergeek:

I'll keep saying it, everyone living in Lagos should keep a part of their earnings aside to take care of their mental health. Let's remove the inherent anger everybody there seems to foster and focus on the traffic. Traffic takes a new meaning in Lag.

I visited Lagos for two weeks during my NYSC and I've never gone back. How can someone leave her home at 4:30 am for an 8:00am job only to return at 10:00pm when they close at 6:00?

Na so... Abuja is cool.
Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by dahme147(m): 9:14am On Nov 07, 2019
computergeek:

Normal Level........#Wewillsurvive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by arinola2504(f): 9:24am On Nov 07, 2019
I'm not sure Op is actually talking about Lagos rent because agreement and commission is 50% above of the rent not 10/15%, don't let anybody deceive you, if your house rent is 150k, your agreement and commission will be between 70k-100k depending on the location and you forget to add maintenance fee which is 10% of your actual rent.

CotenantNIG:
Hello

Lets look at fees you would be paying when renting an apartment in Lagos.

Renting an apartment in Lagos is a task.

So with this you can get prepared.

FEES TO TAKE NOTE OFF

Registration Form: This is the first money you would always pay before you see a property, this form is always ₦1,000 or higher some times

Rent:  Renting an apartment means entering into a legal arrangement with a landlord (the owner of the property) to live in the space for an agreed-upon fee. This fee, which is usually paid on a monthly basis or yearly, is called rent. The renter who occupies the apartment is also known as the tenant.

Agreement: This fee is usually collected by agents, but of recent Landlords are now collecting agreement money. The agreement is usually 5% of the cost of property you are renting, if you don't pay this fee you are not entering into your apartment.

Commission: This is the agent fee when you are renting an apartment, its usually the other 5% percent of the agreement from renting an apartment. The painful thing about commissions is if 10 agents are connected to a property they would share lets say ₦15,000 equally after a client have rented a property.

Legal Fees: If a property is being handled by a lawyer, you must pay legal fees to the lawyer. This fees are mostly for documentations etc

Service Charge: Most property on the island collect service charge, a charge made for maintenance on a property which has been leased. For example the space owners are the one that pay for your electricity, most shared apartments and short lets have serviced charged attached to their fees

Damages: Source

Thank you
add yours too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by pacespot(m): 9:51am On Nov 07, 2019
CotenantNIG:
Hello

Lets look at fees you would be paying when renting an apartment in Lagos.

Renting an apartment in Lagos is a task.

So with this you can get prepared.

FEES TO TAKE NOTE OFF

Registration Form: This is the first money you would always pay before you see a property, this form is always ₦1,000 or higher some times

Rent:  Renting an apartment means entering into a legal arrangement with a landlord (the owner of the property) to live in the space for an agreed-upon fee. This fee, which is usually paid on a monthly basis or yearly, is called rent. The renter who occupies the apartment is also known as the tenant.

Agreement: This fee is usually collected by agents, but of recent Landlords are now collecting agreement money. The agreement is usually 5% of the cost of property you are renting, if you don't pay this fee you are not entering into your apartment.

Commission: This is the agent fee when you are renting an apartment, its usually the other 5% percent of the agreement from renting an apartment. The painful thing about commissions is if 10 agents are connected to a property they would share lets say ₦15,000 equally after a client have rented a property.

Legal Fees: If a property is being handled by a lawyer, you must pay legal fees to the lawyer. This fees are mostly for documentations etc

Service Charge: Most property on the island collect service charge, a charge made for maintenance on a property which has been leased. For example the space owners are the one that pay for your electricity, most shared apartments and short lets have serviced charged attached to their fees

Damages: Source

Thank you
add yours too

What of if you are using online apps or website to get your apartment without the need for agents, would these fees still be necessary? Some of these online mediums promise zero agency fee
Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by Riscawendy(f): 9:59am On Nov 07, 2019
This is so true l paid almost all of this fee for my house in Port-Harcourt, and after few months one of the agent was begging me for 10k l just went to the bank, withdrew the money came back and greeted the agent and went back to the bank and paid the money to my dad's account. �

1 Like

Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by pacespot(m): 10:02am On Nov 07, 2019
DameB:

This instance you described is good.
Some get home 12. Some leave home 4 and get to work 9am

Haha, Nigerians really know how to adjust to suffering, they will call hustling or survival of the fittest.
Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by pacespot(m): 10:20am On Nov 07, 2019
larry90500:
Very possible, as long as the tenant isn't the cause of the wear and tear. The landlord takes care of other repairs

That is where the dispute will arise whether the tenants are the cause of the wear and tear or not. That caution deposit does not make sense to me at all, you lease out your apartment and still asking for caution deposit, why don't you know that there is a risk attached to any business you do. Consider the damage that might be done to your property as part of the risks you bear for leasing out your apartment. That caution deposit is like taking the risks off of the landlord completely and placing them upon the tenants. Because the landlord too can default on the caution deposit, using a flimsy excuse to deny a tenant a refund. That is why you have a legal agreement with your tenants in the first place, if there is any damage that is carelessly done to your property by a tenant, then you can file a suit against that particular tenant based on the dictate of your agreement.
Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by CotenantNIG: 10:30am On Nov 07, 2019
pacespot:

What of if you are using online apps or website to get your apartment without the need for agents, would these fees still be necessary? Some of these online mediums promise zero agency fee

most properties are handled by agents, so you cant escape it
Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by pacespot(m): 10:38am On Nov 07, 2019
CotenantNIG:

most properties are handled by agents, so you cant escape it

What of if I found the apartment by myself?
Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by somehow: 10:59am On Nov 07, 2019
arinola2504:
I'm not sure Op is actually talking about Lagos rent because agreement and commission is 50% above of the rent not 10/15%, don't let anybody deceive you, if your house rent is 150k, your agreement and commission will be between 70k-100k depending on the location and you forget to add maintenance fee which is 10% of your actual rent.

Another lie

Agreement and commission dont exceed 20 percent respectively

But mostly higher than 5 percent
Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by arinola2504(f): 11:30am On Nov 07, 2019
You have to talk for where you are, in Ikeja here, agreement and commission is 100k (a room self) that's what i paid last year and that is the fixed amount except you want a room, that's where the agreement and commission is 70k
For Ikorodu, agreement and commission is between 30k-50k depending on the areas
Just yesterday at Ogba here, an agent was telling a colleague about a 220k mini flat with 100k agreement and commission, total of 320k

Do your findings very well.

somehow:

Another lie

Agreement and commission dont exceed 20 percent respectively

But mostly higher than 5 percent
Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by CotenantNIG: 1:24pm On Nov 07, 2019
pacespot:

What of if I found the apartment by myself?

well landlord would still collect it
Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by pacespot(m): 1:31pm On Nov 07, 2019
CotenantNIG:

well landlord would still collect it

Anything to extort money from others is always accepted by Nigerians. Agency fee is paid when there is an agent involved in the course of finding an apartment for yourself, which one is paying agency fee to the landlord again sad

Landlord has no business with the agency fee or is landlord the agent of his own house? Nigerians sha
Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by somehow: 1:32pm On Nov 07, 2019
arinola2504:
You have to talk for where you are, in Ikeja here, agreement and commission is 100k (a room self) that's what i paid last year and that is the fixed amount except you want a room, that's where the agreement and commission is 70k
For Ikorodu, agreement and commission is between 30k-50k depending on the areas
Just yesterday at Ogba here, an agent was telling a colleague about a 220k mini flat with 100k agreement and commission, total of 320k

Do your findings very well.

That is 50k for agg and 50k for comm which is a rip off for such a property

That you paid such does not mean that is the norm

the norm is 20 percent tops

Using rip up as a standard is a no no
Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by CotenantNIG: 3:06pm On Nov 07, 2019
pacespot:

Anything to extort money from others is always accepted by Nigerians. Agency fee is paid when there is an agent involved in the course of finding an apartment for yourself, which one is paying agency fee to the landlord again sad

Landlord has no business with the agency fee or is landlord the agent of his own house? Nigerians sha

If you notice in the post, I said landlord know collect agreement money .. I wanted to rent an apartment and the land lady said she would collect agreement and commission by herself
Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by Jokerman(m): 4:34pm On Nov 07, 2019
Nigerians are just too wicked

A stupid thieving agent wanted to collect 70/70 for agency and commission from me, Na him I japa and warned him to desist from such evil

1 Like

Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by CotenantNIG: 4:59pm On Nov 07, 2019
Jokerman:
Nigerians are just too wicked

A stupid thieving agent wanted to collect 70/70 for agency and commission from me, Na him I japa and warned him to desist from such evil

ill always say it nigerians are very wicked

the agents would eat those properties last last

1 Like

Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by Jokerman(m): 5:50pm On Nov 07, 2019
CotenantNIG:

ill always say it nigerians are very wicked

the agents would eat those properties last last

I'm telling you... Some would still go as far as adding another 30k as caution fee for such

The thing just tire me... To rent a miniflat of 300k/yr, they expect someone to pay close to 500k for first
Re: Fees To Take Note Of When Renting An Apartment In Lagos by Alaprom(m): 9:02pm On Mar 20, 2022
@ContenantIG,

What's the maximum and minimum one can pay for the agreement and commission in 2022. Actually saw an apartment but lost interest when an agent said I will pay 100k each for agreement and commission (200k in total). Rent was 400k. I then asked what is the basis for computing the agreement and commission and I was told by some folks that this is Lagos and that is how everyone pays. No percentage of the rent. It is fixed. Just went through this topic and became surprised when you said each is 10% of the rent. Does this apply in all parts of Lagos except for ikeja and other places not applicably referenced in the Lagos landlord tenancy law?. Please I will expecting your feedback on the updated amount to pay for each of the incidental costs of the rent in March 2022.
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing / Isaac Fayose Threatens To Demolish Abuja House Over Tenants’ Debt / Lekki Gardens Managing Director Charged With Manslaughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.