Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,828 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. (2608 Views)

Izzi-Ezaa-Mgbo-Ikwo dialect cluster / Culture And Tradition Of The Ogho (owo) Kingdom Of Ondo State. / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Redomi(m): 10:32pm On Nov 06, 2019
Ondo Dialect is beautiful

1. Ọmọ-iton (Child).

2. Ẹghẹnjú (Eye ball)

3. Àghọ̀fẹn (Palace)

4. Uná (Fire)

5. Eìghọ̀ (Smoke)

6. Ẹgwà (Beauty)

7. Ayọ̀n (Sweetness)

8. Ù'é'é (Distance)

9. Àínọ́n (Mercy)

10. Ẹghènghẹ́n (Snow)

1 Like

Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by RedboneSmith(m): 3:56am On Nov 07, 2019
Redomi:

10. Ẹghènghẹ́n (Snow)

Hang on a second now. Ondo people have a word for snow? Are you sure this word doesn't refer to something else?

4 Likes

Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Probz(m): 6:10am On Nov 07, 2019
RedboneSmith:

Hang on a second now. Ondo people have a word for snow? Are you sure this word doesn't refer to something else?

Long time no see.
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Redomi(m): 10:46pm On Nov 07, 2019
RedboneSmith:

Yes sir same way Yoruba language called it Eyinyin
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Oluwajuwon120: 9:07am On Nov 08, 2019
Proud to be Son of Ekimogun wink wink wink Son of the Soil tongue tongue tongue[color=#550000][/color]
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by scholes0(m): 4:34pm On Nov 08, 2019
Redomi:

1. Ọmọ-iton (Child).

2. Ẹghẹnjú (Eye ball)

3. Àghọ̀fẹn (Palace)

4. Uná (Fire)

5. Eìghọ̀ (Smoke)

6. Ẹgwà (Beauty)

7. Ayọ̀n (Sweetness)

8. Ù'é'é (Distance)

9. Àínọ́n (Mercy)

10. Ẹghènghẹ́n (Snow)

Child should be Oma not Omo.

1 Like

Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Redomi(m): 10:03pm On Nov 08, 2019
scholes0:

Child should be Oma not Omo.
sir, it is IMO-iton
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by gregyboy(m): 11:14am On Nov 09, 2019
The word for is similar to the edos

Smoke in edo : eighogho

Benin influence can be seen here
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Redomi(m): 3:35pm On Nov 12, 2019
1. Ọmọbìrin náà lẹ́wà púpọ̀. * Mandebin'ẹ nẹ̀n sengwa yeye
2. Ohun tí mo rí ní ìjẹ́ta yà mí lẹ́nu. * Un-un mo í nijeta yamẹ'un
3. Ẹ káarọ̀ o, a à jíire bí? * A gbooja A kaa' e, se ààlà?
4. Ahun ni Bọ́lá, wo owó kínkínnín t'ó fun ìyá rẹ̀. *Laa'o Bola ín, gho ogho keke'e gho ghun tie
5. Jọ̀wọ́ gbérù mí. *Jo bami gbe

2 Likes

Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by 9jakool: 11:18am On Dec 01, 2019
RedboneSmith:

Yes there is a word for snow in Yoruba.

Ẹghènghẹ́n in Ondo dialect has the same cognate as yìnyín in Oyo dialect both referring to the same thing.

1 Like

Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by googi: 12:38am On Dec 02, 2019
I think both refer to falling ice blocks that come with rain sometimes.

I am not sure about snow.
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by baby124: 3:59am On Dec 02, 2019
9jakool:

Ẹghènghẹ́n in Ondo dialect has the same cognate as yìnyín in Oyo dialect both referring to the same thing.
You mean hail? Snow? Doubt it.
googi:
I think both refer to falling ice blocks that come with rain sometimes.

I am not sure about snow.
Yes. I think they mean hail.

2 Likes

Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by 9jakool: 11:04am On Dec 02, 2019
baby124:

It's used for both. The original usage was hail but the word is more versatile in its modern meaning.
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by babyfaceafrica: 5:39pm On Dec 02, 2019
9jakool:

how can you have word for something that doesn't appear in yorubaland,please enlighten me?..
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by googi: 6:53pm On Dec 02, 2019
baby124:

Thanks Baby, I avoided hail because it is more familiar with those in the snowy countries.
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by 9jakool: 2:06am On Dec 03, 2019
babyfaceafrica:

how can you have word for something that doesn't appear in yorubaland,please enlighten me?..

Because you have television, news, media and films, not to mention those living abroad. People are not unaware about the existence of snow so they are going to use the closest word they have in their vocabulary to describe it. If you want proof, here is a Yoruba BBC article referring to snow as yinyin: https://www.bbc.com/yoruba/42941745

It doesn't have to exist in Youbaland to have a word to describe it. Camels are not native to Yorubaland nor are there deserts in Yorubaland but there are words for these concepts. An aspect of linguistics describe how historic terms can evolve and take on additional meanings in modern context. It's not too difficult to understand.

Yinyin in colloquial Yoruba has even taken on additional meaning apart from hail or snow including being used to refer to a method of 'keeping body preserved in ice.' Have you heard of this expression?

1 Like

Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by nlPoster: 2:29am On Dec 03, 2019
It doesn't have to exist in Youbaland to have a word to describe it

What you're looking at when transcribing a word for something that is not found in Yorubaland, is how would a native Yoruba speaker understand this?

ie how do you describe it to someone who has never seen or heard of the item. In Yoruba, you either solve this quandary by describing it's properties (in this case, cold, white, wet, fluffy), add vowels to the name (eg siinow), or call it after the closest thing it resembles in the locality (hail). The last option would make for easier recognition by the audience, barring an agricultural frame of reference (an agricultural produce).
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Redomi(m): 9:19pm On Dec 27, 2019
LITOKUTO (TALKAHOLIC) ONISOKUSO
Le o litokuto, latonon, l' eun belebele Elu eti we nen, ku e mu se? Litokuto ati lofofo oman'ye kan e. E gb'omaniton e den gb'agba Bo pe bo ya a tito jaamu nijokan Eun e a ko bo a m'eun gb'eghen fo. Onen i litokuto de sa eyinjija e don on "We da ti gbo in, we da ti gbo in? We da gbo uun iba Folake se in? We da gbo uun oko Pelade fo nipa e in? " Iye Mufu o gighan mi n'ugele nanijeta in Ofo nen man n'agbaa ee se die O so s'onen 'un o bu'yo si Sugban joo man fi eun mi wo ti gbo o." Aa! Litokuto ke se d'eun ee si? Amebo Okelisa 'Gbebooun Odojomon Ee s'uun oju ba i dede eun e fo ke Sugban uwo bu o gbo t'eku wa gigh'eye Bu o i luka menfa wa t'oju e ka a Bu o pade obienlobien n'onan Uwo a gighon fo i oko e n'ale in. O man se o a san du o tete jawo Du o fe agadagodo du o mu ti eun pa. Ofo iye a ka yo obi ninon apo Ofo buuku a ka yo upekun jade. Awan omaniton litokuto kan ninon Bibeli A'an i woli Elisha de gbane lo jeje ni tee A'an bee si mu se yeye een yogho o "Kalo joo uwo apai i goimanpa kalo". Woli Elisha bojugheyin gho wan O wa se epe so wan ni ouko Olo-on Ni giigidi nen awan ikoiko menji jade Nanti inon ugbe a'an sa wan bale Aan mu menjilelogoji ninon wan laun. Aa o man se o ke fa sababi be se itokuto. Ledumae joo man di i m'eun gb'eghen fo o. Copied from Ondo Connect Special recognition. Pa Oluade Akinfemiwa
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Ishilove: 9:31am On Dec 28, 2019
Redomi:

1. Ọmọ-iton (Child).

2. Ẹghẹnjú (Eye ball)

3. Àghọ̀fẹn (Palace)

4. Uná (Fire)

5. Eìghọ̀ (Smoke)

6. Ẹgwà (Beauty)

7. Ayọ̀n (Sweetness)

8. Ù'é'é (Distance)

9. Àínọ́n (Mercy)

10. Ẹghènghẹ́n (Snow)
Egwa is beans jn my language
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Ishilove: 9:32am On Dec 28, 2019
Redomi:
LITOKUTO (TALKAHOLIC) ONISOKUSO

Le o litokuto, latonon, l' eun belebele
Elu eti we nen, ku e mu se?
Litokuto ati lofofo oman'ye kan e.
E gb'omaniton e den gb'agba
Bo pe bo ya a tito jaamu nijokan
Eun e a ko bo a m'eun gb'eghen fo.
Onen i litokuto de sa eyinjija e don on
"We da ti gbo in, we da ti gbo in?
We da gbo uun iba Folake se in?
We da gbo uun oko Pelade fo nipa e in? "
Iye Mufu o gighan mi n'ugele nanijeta in
Ofo nen man n'agbaa ee se die
O so s'onen 'un o bu'yo si
Sugban joo man fi eun mi wo ti gbo o."
Aa! Litokuto ke se d'eun ee si?
Amebo Okelisa 'Gbebooun Odojomon
Ee s'uun oju ba i dede eun e fo ke
Sugban uwo bu o gbo t'eku wa gigh'eye
Bu o i luka menfa wa t'oju e ka a
Bu o pade obienlobien n'onan
Uwo a gighon fo i oko e n'ale in.
O man se o a san du o tete jawo
Du o fe agadagodo du o mu ti eun pa.
Ofo iye a ka yo obi ninon apo
Ofo buuku a ka yo upekun jade.
Awan omaniton litokuto kan ninon Bibeli
A'an i woli Elisha de gbane lo jeje ni tee
A'an bee si mu se yeye een yogho o
"Kalo joo uwo apai i goimanpa kalo".
Woli Elisha bojugheyin gho wan
O wa se epe so wan ni ouko Olo-on
Ni giigidi nen awan ikoiko menji jade
Nanti inon ugbe a'an sa wan bale
Aan mu menjilelogoji ninon wan laun.
Aa o man se o ke fa sababi be se itokuto.
Ledumae joo man di i m'eun gb'eghen fo o.
Copied from Ondo Connect
Special recognition. Pa Oluade Akinfemiwa
I love this language. Doesn't sound remotely Yoruba
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by RedboneSmith(m): 11:50am On Dec 28, 2019
9jakool:

It's used for both. The original usage was hail but the word is more versatile in its modern meaning.

Now this is what I was suspecting.

It didn't seem plausible that the ancient Ondo people would create a word for something they didn't even know.

1 Like

Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by 9jakool: 11:58am On Dec 28, 2019
RedboneSmith:

Now this is what I was suspecting.

It didn't seem plausible that the ancient Ondo people would create a word for something they didn't even know.

Yes, that would be correct!
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by 9jakool: 12:15pm On Dec 28, 2019
Ishilove:

I love this language. Doesn't sound remotely Yoruba
That's because common Yoruba tongue is more or less a manufactured tongue to make it easy to write Yoruba and communicate among the different groups. Yoruba dialects are a colorful mosaic and I would like to see them preserved.
Ishilove:

Well, "ẹ̀gwà" in Ondo means beans and it's different tonally from "ẹgwà" meaning beauty.
What's your language if I may ask?
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Ishilove: 4:51pm On Dec 28, 2019
9jakool:

That's because common Yoruba tongue is more or less a manufactured tongue to make it easy to write Yoruba and communicate among the different groups. Yoruba dialects are a colorful mosaic and I would like to see them preserved.
Not just mosaic. It's so lyrical. I served in Ondo state and the various dialects were music to the ears.

Well, "ẹ̀gwà" in Ondo means beans and it's different tonally from "ẹgwà" meaning beauty.
Ukwuani, Delta state.
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Probz(m): 9:35pm On Dec 28, 2019
9jakool:

She’s Ukwuani.

1 Like

Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Probz(m): 9:36pm On Dec 28, 2019
9jakool:

She’s Ukwuani from what I know.

1 Like

Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Redomi(m): 11:08pm On Dec 28, 2019
Ishilove:

Egwa could also mean beans in Ondo dialect, because we have gw in Ondo dialect while h and r are both missing in our dialect
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by YungMillionaire: 2:40am On Dec 29, 2019
grin grin grin grin
Re: For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. by Redomi(m): 1:04pm On Jan 16, 2020
È séé ṣe augbọ̀n ẹ? (Ondo) Who is your mate? (English)

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Festivals / Which Of The Nigerian Local Languages Would You Like To Learn? / History And Heritage Of Igala People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.