Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,381 members, 7,812,120 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:36 AM

How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc (27915 Views)

BREAKING: Reps’ Bill Finally Ends Disparity Between Bsc/hnd / Finally, No More Difference Between Bsc/hnd Graduates – FG Announces / Free Education Project Topics And Project Materials For Msc, Ma, Bsc, Hnd, Nce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by kayodesblog: 11:18am On Nov 09, 2019
The first question I ask any HND admission seeker is “Why don’t you consider direct entry instead?”

This is the taking from my experiences with HND.

Nothing is practically wrong with going for HND or being an HND holder. Or I should say, nothing should be wrong with it. But from a different point of view, things may not be promising for you if you aim very higher with your certificate in the new Nigeria.

Federal Government has been working on bridging the gap between BSc and HND. This is why recently, in certain agencies, HND holders are upgraded to the level of their degree counterparts.

HND/BSC Balance can be achieved.
So what’s your position with your HND?

Below is a series of limitations with Higher National Diploma which Degree holders are not experiencing.

BSc holders are usually considered for teaching (education) without further qualifications. Whereas, HND holders are expected to have in addition, PDG – Postgraduate Diploma in Education.
BSc holders are mostly accepted for MSc admission without further qualifications. Whereas, some schools will not admit an HND holder without professional qualifications (such as ICAN etc) or PGD
BSc holders are usually assigned with administrative duties at work rather than practical field assignments which their HND counterparts are exposed to.
Except most recently and to a few government establishments, HND holders were formerly employed with Grade Level 7; GL07 as opposed to Grade Level 08 for BSc holders. Yet, they are still limited to advancing beyond Grade level 14.
Does this mean it’s a woe to be a holder of HND?

No.

But the best advice still remains the same. Upgrade yourself!

Then, how?

1. Obtain JAMB DE form.
Consider obtaining a Direct Entry form to further your education to BSc. If you want to win the same position as the BSCs, you must be there too. No other way!

I know this may sound absurd but it’s real and it can be the best thing to do. Most people have gone down to reobtain JAMB UTME and reapply to the university. That’s worse. But you have a quicker way.

If you obtain JAMB DE form with National Diploma (ND), you’ll be given admission to 200 level of your proposed course. But with HND, you could be given a 300 level course. Most schools are accepting this. See the list of those universities here.

For instance, UNILORIN, for Engineering, accepts HND in a relevant Engineering discipline at Distinction or Upper Credits level from recognized Polytechnic or College of Technology after NYSC and may be considered for upgrading to 300 Level.

This can be a way out of lower-grade stigma for HND holders too. For example, the University of Ilorin accepts HND Lower Credit for the following courses and more.

COMPUTER SCIENCE: in Computer Science
MASS COMMUNICATION: HND (at least with Lower Credit) in Journalism, Mass Communication, Public Relations and Advertising.
AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT: A Higher National Diploma (HND or equivalent) in Agriculture or related field of study with a minimum of lower credit from a recognized institution in Animal Husbandry, Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology, Agricultural Economics and Farm Management, Food Science, Home Economics, Fishery, Forestry and Wildlife, etc; will be admitted into 300 level.
Note that I only use UNILORIN as a point of reference here, hundreds of other schools are accepting HND holders for Direct Entry admission on the same terms. Check JAMB brochure.

2. Obtain Msc Form of Schools Accepting HND Holders
As already mentioned, most schools are not considering HND holders for Masters programme. Yet we have a handful of these universities who admit you with a convincing grade if you have HND.

See the list below.

Achievers University Owo
Niger Delta University
Federal University of Technology Minna
Bayero University Dangote Business School
Afe Babalola University
University of Ilorin
And four others
This list will continually be updated, subscribe to this blog or bookmark this page for such future updates.

3. Obtain Top-Up Degree Form
This is equally called HND to Bsc Conversation programme. It is usually a year or two academic programmes that is taken to convert HND to Degree in the same or related course. This is why it is called HND-Bsc Conversion programme.

The programme can also be taken to upgrade a weaker degree grade in the same course or to another.

In most countries where Higher National Diploma is discriminated, holders of this qualification resolve to the Top-up degree to be equivalent to or recognised as their Bsc counterparts.

How does this work?

You obtain the form usually sold by universities. You’re admitted for a year or two academic classes, tests and exams and after, you’re awarded BSc.

Below is the list of schools where you can obtain HND to Bsc Top-Up Degree.

Kwara State University, Ilorin (State)
Bells University Abeokuta (Private)
Alhikmah University Ilorin (Private)
Southwestern University Nigeria (Private)
Delta State University (State)
Osun State Polytechnic Iree in Affiliate with Ajayi Crowther University etc.

source : https://www.dailyguide.com.ng/how-to-make-hnd-equate-or-beat-bsc-hnd-vs-bsc/

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by edoairways: 11:54am On Nov 09, 2019
cc:lalasticlala please move this

1 Like

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by kayodesblog: 1:35pm On Nov 09, 2019
Definitely with more inquiries there will be more schools to this list that accepts Hnd for masters and even at a reasonable Tuition fee

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by 01mcfadden(m): 3:08pm On Nov 09, 2019
Why?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by wisewordd: 3:08pm On Nov 09, 2019
Own a working business and employ a Masters degree holder.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Slawormir: 3:09pm On Nov 09, 2019
Damnnnnn

As a real niggarrr

I have that strong belief that this dichotomy would be a thing of the past

Federal agencies, parastatals, ministries and department don't give a fuckkkkk about it anymore
I remember a friend was employed with Hnd and they gave him same level 8 with bsc last year in Uniben

Exactly what got to me when auchi gave me science laboratory tech. I didn't show up

Only for Uniben to force me into computer science and be teaching me old programming shit like Pascal and Fortran

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by oluwamile(m): 3:09pm On Nov 09, 2019
There is actually much difference btw Bsc and HND,but it is not as bad as the way people paint it, especially federal govt,if not Nigeria is not alright,I don't see you HNd sud be mostly restricted to pratical and field work

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by saraki2019(m): 3:09pm On Nov 09, 2019
Ghm
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by GbadeTehmy(m): 3:10pm On Nov 09, 2019
3rd commenter
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by paradigmshift(m): 3:11pm On Nov 09, 2019
don't put your hustle on certificate...
think outside the box.

i dn see many OND guys wey get money pass Bsc.
Hustle smart.

most big men u see for oil firm, most of em no get cert.

as long as you are in 9ja, fuckkkk cert, just know ur way..

35 Likes

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by ednut1(m): 3:12pm On Nov 09, 2019
The british we copy have scrapped it. Lets do same shikena

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by PearlStreet(m): 3:12pm On Nov 09, 2019
Always busy fighting Bsc degree graduates.

These HND guys have inbred inferiority complex which makes them see Degree holders as being responsible for their stunted career growth.

The problem starts from the mind.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by roughdiamond(m): 3:12pm On Nov 09, 2019
Enough of all these certificate issues. With the current situation, certificates should be kept aside. Any certificate that can't pay one's bills is useless

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Nobody: 3:12pm On Nov 09, 2019
I wonder who created this.

What has education practically achieved in this country?

I need to know?

8 Likes

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Throwback: 3:13pm On Nov 09, 2019
This is one of the issues that show how confused, clueless, and useless a country Nigeria is.

- Why do we have HND to be a 5yr programme post O'levels, while the superior general B.Sc/B.A is a 4yr programme post O'levels?

-Why is it that only the Nigerian HND requires 5yrs post O'levels to acquire?

UK HND is 3yrs post O'levels.
Ghana HND is 3yrs post O'levels.
Kenya Technical Diploma is 3yrs post O'levels.

None of the above countries, including UK that originated the HND, have the conflicts of superiority that exist in HND vs B.Sc/B.A.

That is because they are clearly defined and one act as a stepping stone to the other. The lesser qualification requires lower years of scholarship, while the superior qualification requires more years of scholarship.

But in Nigeria, you spend 5yrs to earn HND Accounting, but spend 4yrs to earn B.Sc Accounting.

A very confused education sector.

66 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Jsucre(m): 3:14pm On Nov 09, 2019
Jamb cutoff must be equal 1st.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by LegalOpinion: 3:14pm On Nov 09, 2019
Ok sir
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by chrischukszy01(m): 3:16pm On Nov 09, 2019
Who certificate help for nigeria? Buhari no get certificate and him dey lord over una!
Next pls...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by wiseone28: 3:16pm On Nov 09, 2019
When there are no work?
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by mubzynani: 3:18pm On Nov 09, 2019
Its so painful experiencing such dichotomy in a country like ours. The OP is right I'm also in my final year at Open University after graduating from Bida poly with upper credit

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by paradigmshift(m): 3:18pm On Nov 09, 2019
PearlStreet:

These HND guys have inbred inferiority complex which makes them see Degree holders as being responsible for their stunted career growth.

who is fighting lol?
even first class certificate is useless lol.
cert my ass.
know ur way o

4 Likes

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Buhatiku: 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2019
Good suggestion.

But please know that you need a Distinction result to get admission for Direct entry. Sometimes, Upper credit will do but a Distinction gives you a better chance.

By the grace of God, I went through Polytechnic and University.

Both have their strength and weakness.

The best candidate is the one who has attended both polytechnic and university.

6 Likes

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by ephraim18(m): 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2019
Who cert help for Nigeria... Certificate is been over rated that's y Pple fail to upgrade themselves...buhari no get cert but his our president. So Bleep certificate... Hustle smart.. Learn a skill today...

2 Likes

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Throwback: 3:30pm On Nov 09, 2019
PearlStreet:

The problem starts from the education policy of the country.

Why should the inferior HND require more years of scholarship than the superior B.Sc, when both have the same O'levels requirement?

When the country structures the HND as it was designed by the UK, such problem that is peculiar to Nigeria will disappear.

A Nigerian with his 5yrs HND will still get the same multinational job with a Ghanaian or Briton with a 3yrs HND.

Same goes for the Nigerian Engineer with his 5yrs post O'levels B.Sc/B.Eng, still competing for the same entry level job with the Ghanaian or British Engineer with a 4yrs post O'levels B.Sc/B.Eng.

We are only being a foolish country, but rather than see the big picture of how we are hurting ourselves, we rather delight that others among us are more disenfranchised.

In addition, the HND top-up to B.Sc is a 1yr full time programme in the UK, because it considers that it is the final year of a Bachelor's degree that is missing in the HND, since it is only 1yr deficit in relation to a bachelor's programme.

However, in our own wicked part of this planet, after spending more years than a bachelor's programme to acquire the inferior HND, you are either admitted into the 3rd year (official national education policy) of a 4yr/5yr Bachelor's programme, or together with OND graduates into the 2nd year (school specific policy) of a 4yr/5yr Bachelor's programme.

In effect, you spend 5yrs to acquire the confused Nigerian version of HND, only to be equated by Nigerian universities to 1yr A'levels/university 100 levels/2yr OND.

A really weird education policy.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by dave4rella(m): 3:30pm On Nov 09, 2019
grin

I have hnd and I'm satisfied with it
All I will do is to upgrade to masters degree because of promotion in my office.
If not, I wouldn't have bothered

I pity any hnd holder that will spend his limited resources trying to upgrade instead of looking for job first

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by socialmediaman: 3:32pm On Nov 09, 2019
Throwback:
This is one of the issues that show how confused, clueless, and useless a country Nigeria is.

- Why do we have HND to be a 5yr programme post O'levels, while the superior general B.Sc/B.A is a 4yr programme post O'levels?

-Why is it that only the Nigerian HND requires 5yrs post O'levels to acquire?

UK HND is 3yrs post O'levels.
Ghana HND is 3yrs post O'levels.
Kenya Technical Diploma is 3yrs post O'levels.

None of the above countries, including UK that originated the HND, have the conflicts of superiority that exist in HND vs B.Sc/B.A.

That is because they are clearly defined and one act as a stepping stone to the other. The lesser qualification requires lower years of scholarship, while the superior qualification requires more years of scholarship.

But in Nigeria, you spend 5yrs to earn HND Accounting, but spend 4yrs to earn B.Sc Accounting.

A very confused education sector.

Good point. There lies the problem

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Adebimpe Daniells Graduates As The Overall Best In New Jersey University. Photos / How to cope without carrying pot on campus / Kwara State Polytechnic Admission For 2012/2013, ND/HND

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.