Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,178 members, 7,818,562 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? (40523 Views)

Why A Mathematician Is Preferred To Someone Who Studied Banking For Bank Job / I Studied In Republic Of Benin.. Can I Obtain My Msc In Nigeria? / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by ednut1(m): 9:09am On Nov 11, 2019
Noel1:
I studied at Anna university, India. The only thing I enjoyed most were the indian girls cheesy cheesy cheesy
explain further
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by ednut1(m): 9:10am On Nov 11, 2019
Designer123:
What about Germany sir?
after the school to see job na die . Language barrier too . But if u are an hustler try it
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 9:11am On Nov 11, 2019
BotherMleeper:

This one na liar.

1st class engineering from Harvard equals massive employment opportunity once you do your postgrad.

But he didn't say anything about postgrad. You don't know his particular story

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by RTSC: 9:11am On Nov 11, 2019
Over 70% of those that studied in the UK regrets it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Coldie(m): 9:11am On Nov 11, 2019
U guys should try to be serious and stop fooling yourselves now. If u didn't study abroad why not shut up and pass let people who want to learn or comment do

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by MissionaryK(m): 9:14am On Nov 11, 2019
Studying abroad is a good thing to do if and only if you can stay there and work with your certificate. I studied in the US but couldn't get a job in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by BotherMleeper(m): 9:14am On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

But he didn't say anything about postgrad. You don't know his particular story

Oh pls!

Harvard first class even in undergrad is no joke.

It's almost impossible he'd have a first class Harvard degree in engineering and he can't find a job.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 9:19am On Nov 11, 2019
amazinghomez09:
I have come to understand that success is not a matter of location...

Exactly. There could be such a thing as destiny after all. There are Nigerians who schooled and live in Australia, Canada, US whose lives are totally messed up. You can't escape your destiny

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by pagorino(m): 9:20am On Nov 11, 2019
Amstupid:
I studied at Newcastle nursery and primary school grin
You be clown aswear grin

Sabo ajegunle grin
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 9:21am On Nov 11, 2019
BotherMleeper:

Oh pls!

It's almost impossible he'd have a first class Harvard degree in engineering and he can't find a job.
See my post above. There could be such a thing as destiny
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Designer123: 9:24am On Nov 11, 2019
ednut1:
after the school to see job na die . Language barrier too . But if u are an hustler try it
Do they usually chase international students back to their country like the UK? How is their residence permit like?
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by rchilee: 9:26am On Nov 11, 2019
No regrets.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by ednut1(m): 9:27am On Nov 11, 2019
Designer123:
Do they usually chase international students back to their country like the UK? How is their residence permit like?
no they dont chase you have time to look for job and hustle cheesy
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by clems88(m): 9:27am On Nov 11, 2019
Amstupid:
op said Foreign nt local grin
lol grin
See finishing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Fyorgyn: 9:31am On Nov 11, 2019
DanXplore:
I did masters in the UK and no regrets so far. I doubt there will ever be.

As long as you have genuine hunger for knowledge and money is not your primary motivation, you should have no regrets.

I could not agree more!

@OP I do think it depends on one's outlook and motivation for schooling abroad.

Are you seeking knowledge (academic), exposure to a different and diverse environment, or for the opportunity to migrate I.e. leave Nigeria permanently?

I had my first degree in Nigeria and, after working for a few years, went for a Master's degree in the UK in 2011. I must say that I absolutely have no regrets whatsoever.

It was my first experience outside Nigeria. I enjoyed the academic experience and did learn as much outside as inside the classroom. We were 20 in my class from 10 different countries and I was exposed to diverse cultures and people. I am grateful for the exposure I got and for the life long friendships I made.

I came back to Nigeria immediately after my MSc as I had no intention to migrate at the time. I did go to "Oxbridge" on a full scholarship, which is a different amazing experience on its own, but what has opened numerous doors for me within and outside Nigeria are the networks built whilst I studied in the UK.

I certainly have no regrets whatsoever

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Starhearts: 9:31am On Nov 11, 2019
adewumiopeyemi:
Why can’t you stay back and work in Cyprus. Doing construction job. Do you think there is job there.citizen over there are fighting for job talklrsss of foreigner.

Who did diz to u
Wetin u no knw past U
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 9:34am On Nov 11, 2019
MissionaryK:
Studying abroad is a good thing to do if and only if you can stay there and work with your certificate. I studied in the US but couldn't get a job in Nigeria.

Why didn't u stay in US? My advice to everyone - live your life jejely. Do the best u can. Don't regret anything. Things may not be that dependent on where u r or what u did - there could be such a thing as destiny.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Designer123: 9:35am On Nov 11, 2019
ednut1:
no they dont chase you have time to look for job and hustle cheesy
Naijas no dey carry last for hustling

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by soleexx(m): 9:36am On Nov 11, 2019
Samuels90:
Yeah.. So true, the UK is a no no... Even if it gives 5 years after the program, North Amr/ Australia far better!

wot is the assurance of getting job after study In the UK... will like to sponsor my sister but needed tot be sure
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Olufemiolaolu(m): 9:38am On Nov 11, 2019
rtdCivilservant:
I attended Manchester primary school in uk, attended boys high school Houston in united states and graduated from Harvard in United states with a first class in Engineering, but with all these I am a teacher in God's saviour secondary school in Oshodi. So in all what is my gain? This world is wicked.
May God deliver you from your village people ooo cheesy On a serious note why should they regret?
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by lagosboy86: 9:42am On Nov 11, 2019
None at all!!!. Came to the US in 2012 for my Masters. Graduated 2014. Now working as a chemist a Metals Plant. Been back to visit Lagos a couple of times. Met up with a couple of my colleagues from back then in uni. Sad to see most of them still struggling to get by.
Studying in the US is by far the best decision I ever made. I miss Lagos though.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Yoighaman(m): 9:44am On Nov 11, 2019
BotherMleeper:

Oh pls!

Will Harvard even let you go? World-class organizations would even be chasing you, this is not a first class from Covenant or Igbenedion University, it is HARVARD. The poster was obviously joking.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 9:45am On Nov 11, 2019
Olufemiolaolu:
May God deliver you from your village people ooo cheesy On a serious note why should they regret?

Because things are not always as u think. Some people KNOW they'd have have had a happier and more fulfilling if they hadn't gone to study abroad
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by NaijaOlosho(f): 9:45am On Nov 11, 2019
kevoh:

What's your current status? Are you in Maroc already? If yes, have you been offered the medicine/pharmacy already? If yes, I could link you up with Nigerian graduates of either course to help you out . If No, your chances of being offered Medicine/Pharmacy is very slim, you could be offered an alternative course instead like BCG or SVT, you could still be lucky though. It's fun when your language of instruction is in French.

If you are still in Nigeria and have not moved to Maroc, find a University in an English speaking country instead. It's difficult to adapt a french degree equivalence to Nigeria degrees. Heck, Nigerians hardly understand their own degrees. (The HND vs BSC dichotomy is an example)The French degree scale is 1 to 20, not 2:2, 2:1 or 1st class, good luck finding a Nigerian human resource personnel with the patience to understand that.

When Nigerians say they will link you to some one becareful ooo

Check if its not Human Traffickers, drug Barron's, human body parts mutilators etc.

Check well oo

grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by officialfestus(m): 9:46am On Nov 11, 2019
grin
ABOKI9ja:
alright. Your name says it all
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by BotherMleeper(m): 9:49am On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

See my post above. There could be such a thing as destiny

I'm not a fatalist so I don't think the future is predestined

People make choices every second that act as variable input towards what the future will be.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by edoairways: 9:49am On Nov 11, 2019
TheGreatIYANU:

Well you'd be surprised. I studied in the UK and I quite regret it. When my mates where crossing to Canada for PG, I took the UK route... turned out to be one of the worst decisions I ever took because when I finished my program, I received an email expressly instructing me to return to my country sad

My classmates in the West by the second year of their stay had already been absolved into different organizations. I'm talking about 2012.

Today, all of them are Canadian citizens. The UK just recently upturned that ridiculous policy and now give extra 2 years visa after you finish your program to encourage more foreign students to come there as they where loosing their prospects to Canada.

So UK has changed it's policy ?
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Femeto: 9:50am On Nov 11, 2019
My only regret is studying in the U.K instead of Canada. I could have gotten a Canadian residency permit by now. Post study visas got stopped during my academic year.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Ndipe(m): 9:52am On Nov 11, 2019
Thank God no regrets for me.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by emmahoney(m): 9:55am On Nov 11, 2019
Noel1:
I studied at Anna university, India. The only thing I enjoyed most were the indian girls cheesy cheesy cheesy
You did what? Maybe you should illuminate on this because the India girls I know do not roll with foreigners (male) based on their conservative culture.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by emmasege: 9:58am On Nov 11, 2019
Designer123:
What about Germany
I mentioned UK because that's the popular destination for many Nigerian students.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

I Had 2.80 As CGPA Can I Still Have First Class? / Parent's Reply To A Teacher's Comment On Child's School Report Card / Who Can Help Me In Translating This Pidgin English To Correct English?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.