Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost (5957 Views)

NNPCL, Partner Begin Oil Production At OML 85, Target 20,000BPD / Oil Production: $4 Per Barrel In Saudi Arabia, $3 In Russia, $21.2 In Nigeria / Oil Production Cost Per Barrel Down To $20, Says NNPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by levrin: 6:34am On Nov 13, 2019
The Federal Government is deepening the implementation of the Nigerian Oil and Gas Industry Content Development (NOGICD) Act as part of measures to lower the country’s high crude oil production cost, according to the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Chief Timipre Sylva.

Sylva stated this during his first working visit to the Head Office of Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB) in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, at the weekend.

Emphasizing that Government’s primary target in the sector is to significantly reduce the unit cost of producing per barrel of crude oil, Sylva stated that ”local contractors tend to be cheaper than expatriates and international contractors and that’s why we want to encourage Local Content and give more opportunities to local contractors. By extension we will reduce the cost of doing business in the oil and gas industry in Nigeria.

“Local Content is part of cost reduction strategy. That’s why I came here, to encourage more local participation in the activities of the industry.”

The Minister also lauded the NCDMB for epitomizing its mandate by using an indigenous contractor to develop its new headquarters. He described the edifice as world class and a clear demonstration of the capacity of Nigerians contractors. “Such superlative performance on projects would pave way for the engagement of other local contractors in the oil and gas and construction sectors,” he suggested.

”When you have seen one contractor perform this good, you are encouraged to patronize more local contractors.”

He expressed confidence that the new NCDMB structure will attract a flurry of oil industry activities to Bayelsa State. He noted that ”the problem we have had over the years was that the region where oil production takes place did not have proper structures to promote lots of events. That why you see oil and gas events going to Abuja and Lagos. But when you have a befitting facility here, going forward, there will be a lot of oil and gas related activity in the Niger Delta.”

The Minister commended the NCDMB for the numerous achievements it had recorded in the implementation of the NOGICD Act. He said, ”I am quite impressed with what they have done in a very short time of existence. The new headquarters building is a testament to that impressive performance and of course, you have the 10 mega watts independent power plant. It is a modular plant that can be increased up to 25 megawatts.”

In his remarks, the Executive Secretary of NCDMB, Engr. Simbi Kesiye Wabote confirmed that Local Content implementation lowers the cost of crude oil production, particularly in the long run. He listed other key elements that contribute to high crude oil production cost in Nigeria to include security and infrastructural challenges as well as protracted contracting cycle.

He affirmed that several Nigerian oil service companies had executed several projects at costs much lower than their international counterparts. He also clarified that countries like Brazil, Malaysia and Norway that had practiced Local Content in their oil sector for decades had long enjoyed significant cost reduction in their per barrel cost.

Wabote also explained that Local Content serves as an opportunity cost for the Federal Government to empower its citizens and get them involved in the activities of the oil and gas industry.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/fg-pushes-for-lower-crude-oil-production-cost/amp/

Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by levrin: 6:34am On Nov 13, 2019
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Hotzone(m): 6:52am On Nov 13, 2019
Nigeria na scam

5 Likes

Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by kolafolabi(m): 6:52am On Nov 13, 2019
The amount of large qualities and quantities of crude oil our Country had produced, I expect us to be among the best top Countries in the world but it's other way round..
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by YoungLionone: 6:52am On Nov 13, 2019
Hate speech and die but cop public money and I will endorse you

1 Like

Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by sylve11: 6:53am On Nov 13, 2019
Just legalize bunking activities and local refineries. Well, even if you don't want to, with what you just said; illegal refineries will become legal. Abi nor be local content law you dey talk about? undecided cool

the way government dey dribble us for this country......... tongue cool

Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by ednut1(m): 6:53am On Nov 13, 2019
FG wey no dey pay cash call on time. Nonsense
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Wasky101: 6:53am On Nov 13, 2019
Ok, nice ome
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Nobody: 6:57am On Nov 13, 2019
How much is the cost for now?
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by YorubaPrince: 6:59am On Nov 13, 2019
Low cost but, high prices? Against Economics theories, abeg. Rubbish! angry
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by munex007(m): 6:59am On Nov 13, 2019
The world is on the 4th industrial revolution with Digital economy and we are still struggling with the first state of Rostow's stage of growth.. We are stuck with this fast depleting Asset called oil..

Politics apart FG needs to start have a strategic plan to cater for the population that grows geometrically

Our greatest resource is not oil but our MIND. We need to go back to the drawing board and have a complete overhauling of our constitution and system.

1 Like

Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by austin4real(m): 7:02am On Nov 13, 2019
Make una go chop una oil, the news doesn’t kuku spell development for the nation... make dem sha Dey share the money for aso rock, the lord is there strength
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Nobody: 7:04am On Nov 13, 2019
kolafolabi:
The amount of large qualities and quantities of crude oil our Country had produced, I expect us to be among the best top Countries in the world but it's other way round..

No..it doesn't work that way.

The top countries in the world are those who manufacture things the world needs, not oil producers. (And before you say it, Saudi Arabia and Qatar have very small populations and produce more oil than Nigeria...that's why they look good.).
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 13, 2019
sylve11:
Just legalize bunking activities and local refineries. Well, even if you don't want to, with what you just said; illegal refineries will become legal. Abi nor be local content law you dey talk about? undecided cool

the way government dey dribble us for this country......... tongue cool

1.Illegal bubkering damages the environment, and also makes it harder for legitmate oil businesses to work well.

2.Illegal refineries are not only environment damagers, but safety hazards too.

3.We already have a few legal refienreis under construction...not just Dangote.
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 13, 2019
YorubaPrince:
Low cost but, high prices? Against Economics theories, abeg. Rubbish! angry

Basically by increasing local content in the oil industry, the cost of extracting a barrel of oil would be reduced...which would lead to more revenue for Nigeria in the long run, particularly as oil prices are too low for us to make much profit.
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by iammo(m): 7:09am On Nov 13, 2019
lipsrsealed

i really prefer ibe kachuckwu, sylva is a politician and not a technocrat

Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by princemillla(m): 7:09am On Nov 13, 2019
Yippieee we r going local!!

There will be pains but if we endure, it will pay in the end

1 Like

Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Nobody: 7:10am On Nov 13, 2019
austin4real:
Make una go chop una oil, the news doesn’t kuku spell development for the nation... make dem sha Dey share the money for aso rock, the lord is there strength

1.That's why you people should join poltics...so that you can improve accountability and development....

2.Basically, what the article says is that government wants to reduce the cost of extracting oil by increasing local content in the process...which would in turn free up more oil revenue for Nigeria...especially as oil prices are now too low for us to run a sustainable budget.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by kolafolabi(m): 7:11am On Nov 13, 2019
Kanade21:

The top countries in the world are those who manufacture things the world needs, not oil producers. (And before you say it, Saudi Arabia and Qatar have very small populations and produce more oil than Nigeria...that's why they look good.).

I understand but don't you think bad governance contributed to Nigeria not being at the top irrespective of having such privileges
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Nobody: 7:11am On Nov 13, 2019
Hotzone:
Nigeria na scam

Because wise people like you vote for APC and PDP and refuse to support any party that may have the way forward.
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by martowskin1(m): 7:13am On Nov 13, 2019
Kanade21:

I don't really think is because they are smaller, if u observe Saudi Arabia, they are gradually shifting from the so call oil.... Moving into tourism. The value of oil is depreciating. The world is gradually moving away from it.

Nigeria mid managed their golden time, Saudi Arabia have what to offer the world at the moment which they built from oil.

What did Nigeria achieve from oil, exactly nothing.

So our problem is not huge population but mismanagement

1 Like

Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 13, 2019
kolafolabi:

I understand but don't you think bad governance contributed to Nigeria not being at the top irrespective of having such privileges

Certainly....but whenever I hear people say 'We should be a top country'..what they mean is that we should be like Qatar, for example...because they are oil producers.

What people don't relaize is that Qatar produces nearly as much oil as we do...for a population of less than 3 million people. Nigeria has at least 160million people and counting. (A family of ten who earns N300000 per month would look poorer than a family of two on the same income)

Also, the truth is, most Nigerians think of development as 'a handout from government' (which is why progammes like Sure P and Npower are not really good economic wise). It isn't. Development for me is putting a lot of energy into developing our industrial capacity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Fuckgovt: 7:16am On Nov 13, 2019
Since shell left oml 30 to local contractors the workers have been so maltreated n are suffering. That is what the govt wants.
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Humphrizy(m): 7:17am On Nov 13, 2019
Ok
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Nobody: 7:18am On Nov 13, 2019
martowskin1:

I don't really think is because they are smaller, if u observe Saudi Arabia, they are gradually shifting from the so call oil.... Moving into tourism. The value of oil is depreciating. The world is gradually moving away from it.

Nigeria mid managed their golden time, Saudi Arabia have what to offer the world at the moment which they built from oil.

What did Nigeria achieve from oil, exactly nothing.

So our problem is not huge population but mismanagement

Yeah, I also blame the government.

But Saudi Arabia, on a good day, produces five times the oil we produce, and they have a population of 10million. And despite the move into toruisim, oil is still their major earner (and they are moving into torisim because the oil price does not favour them at the moment).

Nigeria has 200 million people. We need oil to be at least $100 per barrel before we see a good budget. That's why we have to develop our indiustrial capacity (and why I consider most Nigerian governments, with the exception oddly enough of Gowon, who develpoed some sort of indusrial project before the 1973 oil price jump made us all oil addicts as bad.).

And to be frank, I still think Nigeria needs to be more industrial. Oil and tourisim don't really earn enough money. The problem with our industrial development is that we currently force the power and oil sector to operate at a loss via subsidies , because most people are poor (and the subsides themsevles are a big corruption source)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by kolafolabi(m): 7:21am On Nov 13, 2019
Kanade21:

Certainly....but whenever I hear people say 'We should be a top country'..what they mean is that we should be like Qatar, for example...because they are oil producers.

What people don't relaize is that Qatar produces nearly as much oil as we do...for a population of less than 3 million people. Nigeria has at least 160million people and counting. (A family of ten who earns N300000 per month would look poorer than a family of two on the same income)

Also, the truth is, most Nigerians think of development as 'a handout from government' (which is why progammes like Sure P and Npower are not really good economic wise). It isn't. Development for me is putting a lot of energy into developing our industrial capacity.
Well said bro. Kudos!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by wink2015(m): 7:24am On Nov 13, 2019
Nigeria should face Agriculture!

Take away their long throat from crude oil money!
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by voltron14: 7:33am On Nov 13, 2019
munex007:
The world is on the 4th industrial revolution with Digital economy and we are still struggling with the first state of Rostow's stage of growth.. We are stuck with this fast depleting Asset called oil..

Politics apart FG needs to start have a strategic plan to cater for the population that grows more than 50% yearly..

Our greatest resource is not oil but our MIND. We need to go back to the drawing board and have a complete overhauling of our constitution and system.

Abeg revise that your statistic.

You mean we grow by half our population every year?
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by YorubaPrince: 7:41am On Nov 13, 2019
Kanade21:

Basically by increasing local content in the oil industry, the cost of extracting a barrel of oil would be reduced...which would lead to more revenue for Nigeria in the long run, particularly as oil prices are too low for us to make much profit.

Sir, it's either you're not making sense or I'm not understanding you. I need more clarity, pls. undecided

What do you mean by "Increasing local content in the oil would reduce the cost of extraction"?

Even if we reduce the costs of production (which I doubt since we don't refine our own oil), we don't control the global prices. How would that generate more revenue?

I just need better explanation perhaps, I could use this as a project for students in my next lecture. cool

Thanks
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Raypawer(m): 7:53am On Nov 13, 2019
Irrelevant comment! Say what you know!

Hotzone:
Nigeria na scam
Re: FG Pushes For Lower Crude Oil Production Cost by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 13, 2019
YorubaPrince:

Sir, it's either you're not making sense or I'm not understanding you. I need more clarity, pls. undecided

What do you mean by "Increasing local content in the oil would reduce the cost of extraction"?

Even if we reduce the costs of production (which I doubt since we don't refine our own oil), we don't control the global prices. How would that generate more revenue?

I just need better explanation perhaps, I could use this as a project for students in my next lecture. cool

Thanks

Basically, we are looking for money where we can get it...and if increasing local content in domestic oil extraction helps us save more money for the treasury..so be it.

Note that whatever revenue we earn from oil is what's left over from the costs of extracting the oil.

(Nothing to do with refining oil...that's a whole different matter...for now we are talking about bringing up the crude from the ground).

Even then, in my opinion, it won't be enough so long as oil remains low.But right now....Nigeria needs the cash.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Export To Denmark Rises By 157 % In 2018, Says Envoy / FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import / Strong Future International (SFI) Does Any One Has An Experience With Them?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.