Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says (27419 Views)

Complete Reason Why The Stock Market Is Bad Investment / Bad Investment As Another Pronzi Crashing Down / An Abia Born Investment Expert Dr Enyinna, To Be Honoured By Lagos State Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by iambabaG: 6:37am On Nov 15, 2019
Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Acidosis(m): 6:37am On Nov 15, 2019
Adufetooposh:
Instead of being a tenant, i will rather be a landlord. wink

Aunty, do the maths. Being a landlord won't put food on your table. Discard this insane African mentality and do the maths!!

5 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Adufetooposh(f): 6:37am On Nov 15, 2019
dake40:

African mentality
That's because I'm African. undecided

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by tempex88(m): 6:37am On Nov 15, 2019
I completely agree with this man
Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by FbcGrafix(m): 6:38am On Nov 15, 2019
This does not apply here in Nigeria.

Im a logo designer. Check my works in my link below
Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by IvarTheBoneless: 6:38am On Nov 15, 2019
Adufetooposh:
Instead of being a tenant, i will rather be a landlord. wink

Come and let me be your landlord.

From your DP, rent is free... food and massages too kiss
Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Nezero(m): 6:39am On Nov 15, 2019
The uncertainty and unpredictability of future income in Nigeria and constant inflation makes it a good investment to at least own one ugly house in an ugly neighbourhood

5 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Adufetooposh(f): 6:42am On Nov 15, 2019
Starzdavid247:
When u grew old, then u will know the importance of owning a home. Oga keep your economics analysis to yourself.
I Taya ohh.... Make I dey pay rent till old age undecided Not even in this Lagos where landlords can make ur life a living hell. They can decide to increase your rent and take u off balance from what u are comfortable paying.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by fsgbeats: 6:46am On Nov 15, 2019
shehuolayinka:
A

You can rent a good home for N1.5m and still have N3.3m left over. Your house is costing you N3.3m per year. Do the math.

Nice but on the long run , buying a property in Lagos @40m will definitely appreciate to more than 50m in 3years or less. Property is the best investment to me..land never depreciates but appreciates in value. Also when you buy a property its yours for life and your generations to come.Lagos has a high space to value ratio but its still not compared to newyork which is the most expensive globally
Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Goldencheese(m): 6:47am On Nov 15, 2019
Great and informed analysis.

2 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Softenergy(m): 6:48am On Nov 15, 2019
Don't they have home owners in EU, ASIA,US, even communist China and Russia?.

1 Like

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by yusufu16: 6:48am On Nov 15, 2019
This makes sense a lot.

Reason why I will never buy a house. It's better to stay in a rented house while you yourself receive rent from other tenants.

I know a big man in Abuja who has 13 houses all for rent but live in somebody's rented house. It's cheaper for him while his investment is working for.

4 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by davidque: 6:49am On Nov 15, 2019
See as him head look like bungalow............
Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Yoighaman(m): 6:49am On Nov 15, 2019
NairalandAngel:

This does not apply here in Nigeria

He just gave an example of Lagos and you say it does not apply in Nigeria. Is Lagos in France or Germany?

2 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by vineyardfarms: 6:50am On Nov 15, 2019
dake40:

Read the post again. And this time, be more careful...

Don’t buy a house unless:

1. Mortgage is < 8%,

2. You can pay cash,

3. You plan to live in it for 10 years,

THANK YOU SIR. IT MAKE SENSE AND WILL APPLY.
At a grown age, you know the time has come to have your property (though still optional), and during this time, you would have have enough to buy a home (with latest design)

The issue with Africans is LANDLORD mentality which is very wrong... For young hustlers, dont build/buy a house you know you wont live in for years when you can rent 1 and reinvest the remaining funds in good investments..

1 Like

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by phineas: 6:51am On Nov 15, 2019
Wise man

Many are poor becausr to rushed to secure their own homes first

The house you live in is not an investment

It does not even save costs for you till its over 20 years in Nigeria not 10.

Build or buy your house from return on investments not from your salary.Except you are very young and can absorb the risk.

End of story.But they will not listen and spend their 10 years savings building a house.Many retire with nothing but that house and a pittance in gratuity.Doesnt make sense.

Rent till you can afford monthly income for daily living and have enough to spare to buy assets.Dont have a house and be a liability to others

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by livebyday(m): 6:52am On Nov 15, 2019
charliboy654:
This guy na mumu o, so the house you rent, is it some someone else house.

Did you understand where he said buying a home to live in is different from buying a home to rent out undecided

1 Like

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by vikstandon(m): 6:52am On Nov 15, 2019
charliboy654:

Mumu name crowner, you don't understand him Sir.
He is making a lot brain...Invest ur money and build a house with ur money.
Don't go into a mortgage home ownership unless it is less than 8% or is a rental property investment.

If it is for living... Wait until a business pays for it.

I don't have time to help u with the calculation... Please follow ur crowned mumu, he is more wiser than u are...Always be ready to learn.

Proverbs count it as a wise act .

Proverbs 24:27- Develop ur business before building a house.

Proverbs 24
[27][Put first things first.] Prepare your work outside and get it ready for yourself in the field; and afterward build your house and establish a home.

4 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Realfrankie(m): 6:53am On Nov 15, 2019
Mumu talk
Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Thegoodone13(m): 6:53am On Nov 15, 2019
charliboy654:
You misquote him. The house you build and you are living in it does not bring money to you.it is liability but if you build house and you rent it out, it has become assets. Those people that are into estate management are investors and they are making their money through it.

5 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by perryy(m): 6:53am On Nov 15, 2019
The guy is very correct . The guy said owing a house to be inhabitated by u is a bad investment. In 2017, I built a house somewhere around Agbara at the cost of about 20m . (I never expected it would cost much) . To worsen matter , the contract I did , didn't yield anything as Obaseki didn't pay. In 2018, there was a a business that I supposed to invest in , a business capable of yielding at least 4m per annum , but I couldn't raise the money. I almost became poor instantly. If not for God , I would have been regretting my action till now. Building a house for rent is a good investment provided you already have investment giving good monthly income.

If I knew the contract I did would fail, I wouldn't have built the house. . with a million naira, I can rent a 3 bedroom flat around Ikeja , an even better place . 20m would definitely yield me more than 5m naira per year.

The economist is very correct and his hypothesis holds true both in UK and in Nigeria. Only those who are not in business wouldn't understand.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by mankettle(m): 6:55am On Nov 15, 2019
shehuolayinka:
A Nigerian United Kingdom based Oxford-educated entrepreneur with business interests in technology and advertising,
Dr. Tayo Oyedeji says home ownership is mostly a bad investment.

He said this in a series of tweets on his official and verified twitter handle, stating that home purchase for living is a bad investment.

Renting is wiser for most people. Don’t buy a house unless: 1. Mortgage is < 8%, 2. You can pay cash, 3. You plan to live in it for 10 years, 4. You need the psychological comfort of home ownership.

Rental/investment property is great. Home ownership is mostly a bad investment.

I’ll share the math on home ownership sometime next week. The home you live in is your worst investment. For some of us, it’s not even an investment. Don’t buy the hype, do the math. Home purchase for living is a bad investment.

Rental property is a great investment. Do the math. An average property in Lagos is N40m. Treasury bill rate is about 12%. Your N40m will yield N4.8m a year.

You can rent a good home for N1.5m and still have N3.3m left over. Your house is costing you N3.3m per year. Do the math.

Psychological comfort, societal expectations, and cultural norms are valid reasons for home ownership.

But when it comes down to the math: it just doesn’t work. I own a couple of homes for the reasons stated above. They’re not good investment.

https://thebelltimesng.com/2019/11/14/hom

e-ownership-is-mostly-a-bad-investment-says-expert/
Sọ true. Even rental income sef sometimes inst worth it.
Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by phineas: 6:55am On Nov 15, 2019
Starzdavid247:
When u grew old, then u will know the importance of owning a home. Oga keep your economics analysis to yourself.

When you grow old youll also know having a regular source of income to sort all bills without having to beg beats having your own home and no food on table except the children send charity or having to beg persons to pay bills

Life is about choices.People who are investing with their youth are the smart ones.

The house you live in must not be your biggest investment

8 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by yusufu16: 6:55am On Nov 15, 2019
fsgbeats:

Nice but on the long run , buying a property in Lagos @40m will definitely appreciate to more than 50m in 3years or less. Property is the best investment to me..land never depreciates but appreciates in value. Also when you buy a property its yours for life and your generations to come.Lagos has a high space to value ratio but its still not compared to newyork which is the most expensive globally

Land is not that lucrative as people think. Land can never give you 12% Annual Return on Investment as Treasury bills. If I have N80m I will rather invest in Treasury than to go buy property.

2 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by onatisi(m): 6:56am On Nov 15, 2019
cue64:
In a saner clime this guy is right to an extent
he is more than correct , but many wont take time to do the maths and understand what he is saying . blacks are bandwagon people , once someone is doing something we all want to do the same thing.
i sometimes marvel when i see ppl rushing to build personally houses but yet they are suffering and income isnt much . the problem is a societal one as having a house of ones own and according to our ppl, even if it is just a room is seen as accomplishment and sign of success

3 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 15, 2019
charliboy654:

Did u read the article?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Thegoodone13(m): 6:59am On Nov 15, 2019
Realfrankie:
Mumu talk
if you study economic or accounting you could have understand him. He said the true. Many people labour for 35years and end up have liability instead of assets as their achievement. Build house for rent before you build the one you will live in unless you have another sources of income.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by CableWire: 6:59am On Nov 15, 2019
London don enter this one brain finish... By his facicial looks, you can depict.
So, person go build house then rent it out. Come hang for air because he wants to make money out of it.
Bros, carry this your rant go front before this hate speech bill wey de pepper me for bodi starts with you

2 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by yusufu16: 6:59am On Nov 15, 2019
Starzdavid247:

That is Nigerian man mentality.

1 Like

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by Thegoodone13(m): 7:00am On Nov 15, 2019
H
Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by cue64: 7:02am On Nov 15, 2019
onatisi:

he is more than correct , but many wont take time to do the maths and understand what he is saying . blacks are bandwagon people , once someone is doing something we all want to do the same thing.
i sometimes marvel when i see ppl rushing to build personally houses but yet they are suffering and income isnt much . the problem is a societal one as having a house of ones own and according to ppl even if it is just a room is seen as accomplishment and sign of success
the one that annoys me the most is the state where I am from, someone that has enough money to build two flat will want to build a duplex simply because his friend is building a duplex, in the end money finish house become uncompleted building, now they’ll become broke Tenants with uncompleted building....

2 Likes

Re: Home Ownership Is Mostly A Bad Investment- Expert Says by dabonny(m): 7:02am On Nov 15, 2019
drlaykay:
I tell people this a lot and they actually think I'm saying nonsense.
Build your house after you have solidified your business.
This is why an uneducated yoruba man doesn't do well as much as an uneducated igbo man.
Most people get to see little money from their business and rush to get a land. The business isn't solid enough yet but instead of reinvesting the profit in order to improve the business they go buy a lands.
Every little profit from the business which is still of a low scale, will be used in financing the building. Because the profit is low, they end up spending part of their capital in addition to the profit in order to fast track the building which is overdue.this act make the business die and they become poor landlords
On the other hand, their igbo counterpart who are also into small scale business, reinvest such funds into the business.
The business grows and they build a more powerful structure in a decent location within a short time.

Before your crucify me, I have live examples and I am proudly yoruba

Hmmmmm, this your submission is only understandable to someone who has a mind of investment and striving to build a very large business empire.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Can I Withdraw Money From Skrill To My Nigeria Naira Account? / Breaking News: Naira Propeller Has Crashed!!! / The Secret Of Earning Without Spending A Dime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.