Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,497 members, 7,830,502 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg (43632 Views)

What I Bought From Market With 10k / See What Rice Traders Do To Bags Of Rice To Reduce Its Quantity (pics/video) / Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by edoairways: 11:13am On Nov 15, 2019
Wiseandtrue:
We go see first nau undecided abi na audio rice

I would like to see how it can cater for those in Lagos not to talk of Nigeria

No be so Lagos State shout lake rice Wey the lake rice
Hahaaaa

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by Yusuf54: 11:14am On Nov 15, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

You are a curse to your Country
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by Kendollar696(m): 11:14am On Nov 15, 2019
My Cross Riverian.. God bless you
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by Bluntemperor: 11:17am On Nov 15, 2019
The problem is with us, AS-NIGERIANS.I once asked a Benin-Republic man,how much is a bag of Rice and he replied N'5000' .How come we started selling the same smuggled bags for N14-18,000 per bag? Why are we doing this to ourselves? we are very unpatriotic.
President Buhari has done well in this regard,by ensuring Nigerians should feed themselves.why should we allow smaller Countries to feed us,mock us when we can do it by ourselves? But who is checking the border personnel so that they don't compromise?.
God Bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by Advocate500: 11:20am On Nov 15, 2019
BuhariCarryGo:
God bless Federal republic of Nigeria
But our problem lies with the middle men. They'll buy it cheap and sell at a higher prizes!
bbq is at it again, the other moniker don chop ban ,him don open another one to continue to mislead the gullible people.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by Nasir123(m): 11:23am On Nov 15, 2019
ayukdaboss:

No one is deceiving anybody, there has definitely been an improvement in local rice production and it's a gradual process with the first and most important step being making sure local producers of rice are encouraged and what other better way can we get that done than making sure the careless inflow of foreign rice through our borders is put in check?

And for the Lady who smuggled 1 derica of rice through her breasts, that's solely her business, I'm surprised you could even raise that as a point lipsrsealed

Agreed.

But that guy made a very valid observation. He has a valid point.

The border closure is a good thing in all.
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by Erudite202: 11:24am On Nov 15, 2019
Keep deceiving the gullible ones santus. Is it the santuscom rice mill along Liyel imoke road Okuku in yala LGA that can not produce up to 100 bags a day.....
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by greenguy: 11:26am On Nov 15, 2019
Are we supposed to clap?

Who's fooling who? Imported rice was sold at 14k before the border was closed.

Why can't these local rice be sold for 7k? In Lagos, local rice that was sold for 11k is now 21k just because they closed the border.

Why can't they just take advantage of the border closure and take over the market fully, let consumers start asking for local rice even when the border is reopened.

Nigerians and over sense. Making almost 200% profit on an edible. Every principle of economics have been defied in this part of the world.

We no normal at all...

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by crackhouse(m): 11:35am On Nov 15, 2019
Until then.....
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by Nasir123(m): 11:35am On Nov 15, 2019
Angelfrost:
Once again, why all these fuss about rice??!... How many Nigerians have always been able to afford rice, especially since Buhari took over in 2015??!

The food in itself is overrated in my humble and dietary opinion.... Some outside Nigeria would think rice is the sole meal that keeps us alive in this country. The rice in my house lasts longer than any other food, cos I would rather eat swallow, bread, beans, etc than the unnecessarily hyped carbohydrate source.

Let's give this a rest jor.... Most of us are already beginning to sound dumb. undecided

That's not true.
Rice is like Garri in most Nigerians homes.

The thing is, they are some things you may want to eat, but due to the location you live in your environment, the nearest meal u can buy.. aside Garri.. will be the Rice family.
As for Bread, most of us don't even like bread that much. I don't either.
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by khlopp: 11:35am On Nov 15, 2019
still OK with the price provided it is stone free
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by miqos02(m): 11:38am On Nov 15, 2019
netpro:
Nigeria on the beat.

More rice cultivation next year. Sebi una want rice. We shall see. Rice go full market next year.
marketers will buy the rice, rebag it and sell at higher prices.
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by Bahamas95(m): 11:42am On Nov 15, 2019
They have started again o!

Anyways, am waiting

Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by Angelfrost(m): 11:43am On Nov 15, 2019
Nasir123:

That's not true.
Rice is like Garri in most Nigerians homes.

The thing is, they are some things you may want to eat, but due to the location you live in your environment, the nearest meal u can buy.. aside Garri.. will be the Rice family.
As for Bread, most of us don't even like bread that much. I don't either.

I see your perspective sir... I still believe we are blowing this issue a bit out of proportion. Even in the most austere times, slight adjustments can be made.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by chukwuyenumlove: 11:46am On Nov 15, 2019
ALL THESE NEWS REPORTS ARE FAILING US

BRING RICE TO THE MARKET FIRST, THEN PRICE, THEN REPORTS

ENOUGH OF ALL THESE STORIES
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by pacespot(m): 11:55am On Nov 15, 2019
Good development
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by alfredfrddy(m): 11:59am On Nov 15, 2019
and the useless government dey plan to open border? The day we start taking firm decisions and stand by them is the day things will start getting better in this country.
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by Ganjafama(m): 12:00pm On Nov 15, 2019
Angelfrost:

Poor analogy... You should pick better correlation to support your emotional rant. grin

How can you even compare phones and rice??! Have you been drinking??! Lol...

Are you saying if rice is banned or disappears from our diet (theoretically), we will all die of hunger??!...

You chose to miss the crux of my submission all in your haste to be defensive... So, let me reiterate or clarify... 1. Border closure is not solely about rice consumption.
2. A reduction in the demand, supply, and consumption of rice will not cause famine or malnutrition as it is not, and has not been the cheapest carbohydrate source in this country for years now.
3. There are more pressing issues (economic issues if you may) than availability and/or affordability of rice.

Maybe, I came off a bit harsh in my use of "dumb" (I unreservedly apologize), but I have simply called a spade what it truly is.

...As for arrogance, I prefer to be honestly pompous than to be pretentiously and hypocritically humble.
Hmnn! You sound like Obayagbon, the grammarian. Though, you made sense.
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by slowice(m): 12:01pm On Nov 15, 2019
Until I see the rice....I won't say anything just yet
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by Nobody: 12:09pm On Nov 15, 2019
BuhariCarryGo:
Santuscom Agro-Hub Investment Nigeria Limited, producer of Ogoja Rice, has said it will crash the prices of local brands as it begins harvest at its 1,000-hectare farm in Okpoma, Yala Local Government Area of Cross River State.
The Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Santuscom, Chief Paul Santus, made this known while speaking with journalists on the farm’s effort to cushion the effect of rising prices of rice domestically as a result of the closure of the land borders.

Chief Santus said the Ogoja Rice brand would sell for N14,000 ahead of the Christmas and New Year celebrations.

Since the recent closure of land borders by the Federal Government, prices of the commodity have risen to as much as N18,000 to N22,000, depending on which market.

Explaining further, Chief Santus said, “We at Santuscom Agro-hub Investment Nigeria Limited, producers of the popular Ogoja Rice brand, are concerned with the skyrocketing prices of rice after the closure of land borders by the Federal Government.

“We want Nigerians to understand the action by the government, and notwithstanding, we want to assure Nigerians that as a company, we will do everything possible before the Christmas and New Year celebrations to crash the prevailing and the current market prices of rice as we will be selling at N14,000 per 50-kg bag of rice anytime from now.

“Everything is ready for us to commence serious production of high quality and stone-free Ogoja Rice that would be very affordable and accessible by consumers in any part of Nigeria.”

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/border-closure-ogoja-rice-to-hit-market-with-reduced-price.html?

That's for people who are rice freaks.
I'm not a rice person
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by ceejay80s(m): 12:12pm On Nov 15, 2019
A bag of rice no suppose pass 10k, leave dis efizzy of 14k price reduced
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by wrose(m): 12:13pm On Nov 15, 2019
Audio freaking rice!!!
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by CaptainFM1: 12:13pm On Nov 15, 2019
jericco1:
bought a measure of rice for 800 yesterday

A measure?

How many Peak Milk Can makes up that measure?
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by clintwealth(m): 12:24pm On Nov 15, 2019
truly said
BuhariCarryGo:
God bless Federal republic of Nigeria
But our problem lies with the middle men. They'll buy it cheap and sell at a higher prizes!
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by vineyardfarms: 12:27pm On Nov 15, 2019
MUCH CHEAP TALK NO RESULT. I HAVE RICE FROM ANAMBRA, OGOJA, JALINGO, AKWA IBOM, NORTHERN RICE, MIDDLE BELT RICE, LAGOS RICE. . . . . SO ON AND ON. PLEASE HOUSE, HAVE YOU SEEN AND PURCHASE THESE BRAND RICE IN THE MARKET?? . .LIKE ! . . . SHARE ! . IF NO. ALREADY FIXING PRICE PER BAG OF RICE THAT HAS NOT BEEN PRODUCE OR HIT THE MARKET. . . .
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by oilcity(m): 12:27pm On Nov 15, 2019
ayukdaboss:

Oya you go and smuggle one derica of rice in your breasts to make a point grin
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by Agboriotejoye(m): 12:48pm On Nov 15, 2019
Angelfrost:
Once again, why all these fuss about rice??!... How many Nigerians have always been able to afford rice, especially since Buhari took over in 2015??!

The food in itself is overrated in my humble and dietary opinion.... Some outside Nigeria would think rice is the sole meal that keeps us alive in this country. The rice in my house lasts longer than any other food, cos I would rather eat swallow, bread, beans, etc than the unnecessarily hyped carbohydrate source.

Let's give this a rest jor.... Most of us are already beginning to sound dumb. undecided
I get ur gist. But you're looking at dis from one angle, the foreign rice angle. Majority of the masses up north don't eat foreign rice. They eat local rice and also use it to make tuwo which makes it a "can't do" diet like garri down south. With the rise in price of local rice, they are the most affected as a lot of them practically live from hand to mouth.
This category of people are used to suffering in silence so you might not appreciate what goes on except you're close to them.
Another thing you should consider is the productivity. Has rice production truly increased? Most of those who live in the flood plains where rice grows know that the flood this year was terrible and since most are engaged in subsistence farming, they have no means to combat it. This will explain why, though we're in harvest season, the price of rice is still high which is not to so in previous years.
My take is if we want a rice revolution, it should be a conscious and we'll planned effort not jack boot and waiting for miracles from the mountains as we're doing now
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by bragamycin: 1:44pm On Nov 15, 2019
BuhariCarryGo:
Santuscom Agro-Hub Investment Nigeria Limited, producer of Ogoja Rice, has said it will crash the prices of local brands as it begins harvest at its 1,000-hectare farm in Okpoma, Yala Local Government Area of Cross River State.
The Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Santuscom, Chief Paul Santus, made this known while speaking with journalists on the farm’s effort to cushion the effect of rising prices of rice domestically as a result of the closure of the land borders.

Chief Santus said the Ogoja Rice brand would sell for N14,000 ahead of the Christmas and New Year celebrations.

Since the recent closure of land borders by the Federal Government, prices of the commodity have risen to as much as N18,000 to N22,000, depending on which market.

Explaining further, Chief Santus said, “We at Santuscom Agro-hub Investment Nigeria Limited, producers of the popular Ogoja Rice brand, are concerned with the skyrocketing prices of rice after the closure of land borders by the Federal Government.

“We want Nigerians to understand the action by the government, and notwithstanding, we want to assure Nigerians that as a company, we will do everything possible before the Christmas and New Year celebrations to crash the prevailing and the current market prices of rice as we will be selling at N14,000 per 50-kg bag of rice anytime from now.

“Everything is ready for us to commence serious production of high quality and stone-free Ogoja Rice that would be very affordable and accessible by consumers in any part of Nigeria.”

key word is WILL. Let’s wait till WILL comes to pass
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by OsunSkullMiner: 2:28pm On Nov 15, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by BuhariCarryGo: 2:47pm On Nov 15, 2019
Advocate500:
bbq is at it again, the other moniker don chop ban ,him don open another one to continue to mislead the gullible people.
Yes you are nearly close but not him the other popular guy!
Re: Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg by fortran12: 3:29pm On Nov 15, 2019
anonimi:

Must we all be mumus to be fooled over and over again by the same set of deceptive rogues?

how else do you think they stack it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

One Food You Cannot Understand Why People Enjoy It. / 7 Dangerous Acts After A Meal / Gari And Mango, Is It Dangerous?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.