Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,281 members, 7,839,386 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

"Samson And Delilah" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Samson And Delilah" (1647 Views)

Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? / Arch Bishop Samson Mustapha Benjamin Protests Against 5G Network / Bishop Tom Samson And His Rolls Royce Phantom Pictured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Samson And Delilah" by Nobody: 7:34pm On Nov 16, 2019
Judges 16

15 Then she said to him, “How can you say, ‘I love you,’ when you won’t confide in me? This is the third time you have made a fool of me and haven’t told me the secret of your great strength.” 16 With such nagging she prodded him day after day until he was sick to death of it.

17 So he told her everything. “No razor has ever been used on my head,” he said, “because I have been a Nazirite dedicated to God from my mother’s womb. If my head were shaved, my strength would leave me, and I would become as weak as any other man.”

18 When Delilah saw that he had told her everything, she sent word to the rulers of the Philistines, “Come back once more; he has told me everything.” So the rulers of the Philistines returned with the silver in their hands. 19 After putting him to sleep on her lap, she called for someone to shave off the seven braids of his hair, and so began to subdue him.[c] And his strength left him.

20 Then she called, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!”

He awoke from his sleep and thought, “I’ll go out as before and shake myself free.” But he did not know that the Lord had left him.

21 Then the Philistines seized him, gouged out his eyes and took him down to Gaza. Binding him with bronze shackles, they set him to grinding grain in the prison. 22 But the hair on his head began to grow again after it had been shaved.
The Death of Samson

23 Now the rulers of the Philistines assembled to offer a great sacrifice to Dagon their god and to celebrate, saying, “Our god has delivered Samson, our enemy, into our hands.”

24 When the people saw him, they praised their god, saying,

“Our god has delivered our enemy
into our hands,
the one who laid waste our land
and multiplied our slain.”

25 While they were in high spirits, they shouted, “Bring out Samson to entertain us.” So they called Samson out of the prison, and he performed for them.

When they stood him among the pillars, 26 Samson said to the servant who held his hand, “Put me where I can feel the pillars that support the temple, so that I may lean against them.” 27 Now the temple was crowded with men and women; all the rulers of the Philistines were there, and on the roof were about three thousand men and women watching Samson perform. 28 Then Samson prayed to the Lord, “Sovereign Lord, remember me. Please, God, strengthen me just once more, and let me with one blow get revenge on the Philistines for my two eyes.” 29 Then Samson reached toward the two central pillars on which the temple stood. Bracing himself against them, his right hand on the one and his left hand on the other, 30 Samson said, “Let me die with the Philistines!” Then he pushed with all his might, and down came the temple on the rulers and all the people in it. Thus he killed many more when he died than while he lived.

31 Then his brothers and his father’s whole family went down to get him. They brought him back and buried him between Zorah and Eshtaol in the tomb of Manoah his father. He had led[d] Israel twenty years.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Nobody: 5:53am On Nov 17, 2019
The sad story of a man who fell into the arms of a strange woman.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Eviana(f): 4:58pm On Nov 17, 2019
solite3:

Well, you are partly right about the "sad story of a man", who ultimately fulfilled his purpose --albeit indirectly and tragically--and will be in the Kingdom (Hebrews 11:32).

Did Samson, a Godly man, however, "fall" or "walk" into the arms of a "strange woman"?

Judges 13:7
7....and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb:

Judges 14: 1,2
1And Samson went down to Timnath, and saw a woman in Timnath of the daughters of the Philistines.
2 And he came up, and told his father and his mother, and said, I have seen a woman in Timnath of the daughters of the Philistines: now therefore get her for me to wife

Judges 16:1,4
1Then went Samson to Gaza, and saw there an harlot, and went in unto her
4 And it came to pass afterward, that he loved a woman in the valley of Sorek, whose name was Delilah.

So, in light of Samson's strengths, could you also say that he had some weaknesses which played into his final, early and tragic demise?

1 Like

Re: "Samson And Delilah" by MuttleyLaff: 7:47pm On Nov 17, 2019
solite3:
"1One day Samson went down to Timnah, where he saw a young Philistine woman.
2So he returned and told his father and his mother, “I have seen a daughter of the Philistines in Timnah. Now get her for me as a wife.”
3But his father and mother replied, “Can’t you find a young woman among your relatives or among any of our people? Must you go to the uncircumcised Philistines to get a wife?”
But Samson told his father, “Get her for me, for she is pleasing to my eyes.
"
- Judges 14:1-3

The strange story of a determined man, who always had a strong and/or habitual liking for strange women. He open eyed, walked directly into a ditch because of the last of the strange women.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 17, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
"1One day Samson went down to Timnah, where he saw a young Philistine woman.
2So he returned and told his father and his mother, “I have seen a daughter of the Philistines in Timnah. Now get her for me as a wife.”
3But his father and mother replied, “Can’t you find a young woman among your relatives or among any of our people? Must you go to the uncircumcised Philistines to get a wife?”
But Samson told his father, “Get her for me, for she is pleasing to my eyes.
"
- Judges 14:1-3

The strange story of a determined man, who always had a strong and/or habitual liking for strange women. He open eyed, walked directly into a ditch because of the last of the strange women.

You skipped the part where it was stated that it was God that was pushing him in that direction.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by MuttleyLaff: 8:06pm On Nov 17, 2019
HedwigesMaduro:
You skipped the part where it was stated that it was God that was pushing him in that direction.
God did not push him into the direction and/or warm embrace of Delilah
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by jcross19: 8:13pm On Nov 17, 2019
Eviana:

Well, you are partly right about the "sad story of a man", who ultimately fulfilled his purpose --albeit indirectly and tragically--and will be in the Kingdom (Hebrews 11:32).

Did Samson, a Godly man, however, "fall" or "walk" into the arms of a "strange woman"?

7....and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb:

1And Samson went down to Timnath, and saw a woman in Timnath of the daughters of the Philistines.
2 And he came up, and told his father and his mother, and said, I have seen a woman in Timnath of the daughters of the Philistines: now therefore get her for me to wife

4 And it came to pass afterward, that he loved a woman in the valley of Sorek, whose name was Delilah.

So, in light of Samson's strengths, could you also say that he had some weaknesses which played into his final, early and tragic demise?
that story is most ridiculous in the Bible! whenever I read that story I just laugh! is either the story teller lied there or Samson was an slowpoke !
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by MuttleyLaff: 8:16pm On Nov 17, 2019
jcross19:
that story is most ridiculous in the Bible! whenever I read that story I just laugh! is either the story teller lied there or Samson was an slowpoke!
Explain how the story is most ridiculous in the Bible, your reasons for saying the story teller lied there and why you believe that Samson was an imbẹcile
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by jcross19: 8:35pm On Nov 17, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Explain how the story is most ridiculous in the Bible, your reasons for saying the story teller lied there and why you believe that Samson was an imbẹcile
now let me start from where Delilah asked her about secret of his power and Samson knew quite alright the danger that surrounded him,now the story teller made us to know Delilah asked Samson three consecutive times and each time the enemy will ambushed him that suppose to tell Samson that Delilah is trying to get him , Mr zombie claiming the strongest still fall for it that's why is a zombie.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Nobody: 8:42pm On Nov 17, 2019
He was pointing to the fact that Samson walked there by himself and not that he mistakenly fell
HedwigesMaduro:

1 Like

Re: "Samson And Delilah" by MuttleyLaff: 8:44pm On Nov 17, 2019
jcross19:
now let me start from where Delilah asked her about secret of his power and Samson knew quite alright the danger that surrounded him,now the story teller made us to know Delilah asked Samson three consecutive times and each time the enemy will ambushed him that suppose to tell Samson that Delilah is trying to get him, Mr zombie claiming the strongest still fall for it that's why is a zombie.
Oh I see. I get where you are coming from now.

jcross19, I am sure when Mrs jcross19 presses your mumu button, you too start doing the Mr Zombie styling thing, though you first form the strongest, head of the family etcetera before your mumu button was pushed or pressed. Ask father Adam, he knows all about Mr Zombie and the mumu button.

1 Like

Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 17, 2019
Mumu button ke? Where that one dey?grin
MuttleyLaff:

jcross19, I am sure when Mrs jcross19 presses your mumu button, you too start doing the Mr Zombie, though you form the strongest before your mumu button was pushed or pressed. Ask father Adam, he knows all about Mr Zombie and the mumu button.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by jcross19: 8:50pm On Nov 17, 2019
Bodydialect57:
Mumu button ke? Where that one dey?grin
don't use Mrs for me okay am not!!!!.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 17, 2019
Where did l use Mrs for you?
jcross19:

1 Like

Re: "Samson And Delilah" by jcross19: 8:54pm On Nov 17, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

jcross19, I am sure when Mrs jcross19 presses your mumu button, you too start doing the Mr Zombie styling thing, though you first form the strongest, head of the family etcetera before your mumu button was pushed or pressed. Ask father Adam, he knows all about Mr Zombie and the mumu button.
there is nothing like mumu button here Samson never existed or the story was exaggerated !
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by jcross19: 8:54pm On Nov 17, 2019
Bodydialect57:
Where did l use Mrs for you?
heyah sorry not you.

1 Like

Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 17, 2019
That "Mrs" was referencing your wife
jcross19:

1 Like

Re: "Samson And Delilah" by jcross19: 8:56pm On Nov 17, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

you can be a mumu for it and you think everyone is like you! most bible stories are just tales.

1 Like

Re: "Samson And Delilah" by jcross19: 8:58pm On Nov 17, 2019
Bodydialect57:
That "Mrs" is referencing your wife
that across is my moniker not my name that Mrs should not be there.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by MuttleyLaff: 8:59pm On Nov 17, 2019
Bodydialect57:
Mumu button ke? Where that one dey? grin
You sabi how to chop meat finish, wipe clean mouth as if nothing at all has been eaten sha. Hmm, I do attention sir, salute una ma'am. Daddy knows, how you mummy, presses his mumu button, he just sometimes pretends he isnt aware and plays along with you. God is not against mumu buttons, but only that they dont get misused, abused and/or disused. Mumu buttons makes the world go round, lol.

1 Like

Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 17, 2019
grin
MuttleyLaff:
You sabi how to chop meat finish, wipe clean mouth as if nothing at all has been eaten sha. Hmm, I do attention sir, salute una ma'am. Daddy knows, how you mummy, presses his mumu button, he just sometimes pretends he isnt aware and plays along with you. God is not against mumu buttons, but only that they dont get misused, abused and disused. Mumu buttons makes the world go round, lol.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by MuttleyLaff: 9:09pm On Nov 17, 2019
Bodydialect57:
grin
I've lost count of when I know that Mrs MuttleyLaff had pressed my mumu button for me to have done that thing I ordinarily and usually wouldnt have done. C'est la vie, that is life, such is life.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Nobody: 9:11pm On Nov 17, 2019
Eeya, e pele grin
MuttleyLaff:
I've lost count of when I know that Mrs MuttleyLaff had pressed my mumu button for me to have done that thing I ordinarily and usually wouldnt have done. C'est la vie, that is life, such is life.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by MuttleyLaff: 9:25pm On Nov 17, 2019
Bodydialect57:
Eeya, e pele grin
All men have the God designed mumu button, from Adam, Abraham, Samson, King David, Solomon etcetera and even Jesus, as usual was no exception to this rule, as like other rules and He wasnt immune from having His button pushed/pressed either.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 17, 2019
Jesus ke? He was an exception biko
MuttleyLaff:
All men have the God designed mumu button, from Adam, Abraham, Samson etcetera and even Jesus, as usual was no exception to this rule, as like other rules and He wasnt immune to having His button pushed/pressed either.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by MuttleyLaff: 10:01pm On Nov 17, 2019
Bodydialect57:
Jesus ke? He was an exception biko
"When the woman saw that the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eyes,
and that it was desirable for obtaining wisdom, she took the fruit and ate it.
She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.
"
- Genesis 3:6

"And Jesus said to her,
Woman, what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come.
"
- John 2:4

Leap frog to Mary and Jesus, in John 2:4 as seen above, and where at, Jesus said to His mother Mary, the following words "Woman, what does that have to do with us? My hour has not yet come.""

Adam, like Jesus in John 2:4 above did, when the mumu button was pushed and/or pressed, should have just told the woman, Eve, his wife, that the hour has not come and then refuse, in addition to then just to sit the remaining last hour out, not mumu eat the fruit.

Jesus ke? Yes, Jesus was no exception to the rule(s) ojaare. Jesus, despite being God in flesh, was subjected to all and/or went through every human frailty. He was not exempted from the rule(s)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Eviana(f): 10:24pm On Nov 17, 2019
jcross19:
that story is most ridiculous in the Bible! whenever I read that story I just laugh! is either the story teller lied there or Samson was an slowpoke !

I think you may have mistakenly thought that I was mocking the story.
I, in no way, was, am, or would ever do that.
Please let me be clear: I profess Christ as my Lord and Saviour.
I, wholeheartedly, believe the Holy Bible..just as it is. My question had to do with the insinuation (from what I gathered) that blame belonged on the woman moreso, than acknowledging Samson's series of questionable judgments.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Eviana(f): 10:31pm On Nov 17, 2019
HedwigesMaduro:

Sir/madam,
You are correct.
I was wanting someone to bring this up.

Judges 14: 3,4 (KJV)

3 Then his father and his mother said unto him, Is there never a woman among the daughters of thy brethren, or among all my people, that thou goest to take a wife of the uncircumcised Philistines? And Samson said unto his father, Get her for me; for she pleaseth me well.

4 But his father and his mother knew not that it was of the Lord, that he sought an occasion against the Philistines: for at that time the Philistines had dominion over Israel.

It's clear that Samson had a purpose/ calling from God...and was aware of it.
But it may have been possible, that, in his desire to accomplish that purpose, he "veered off of the narrow pathway" at times to fulfilling the purpose by surrendering to temptation ...(the women).
That is my thought (and I could be wrong), but I do not see this as a "Hosea/Gomer" (where Hosea actually was commanded by God to marry Gomer--as an illustration between God and his wayward bride--the Church) type of situation.

1 Like

Re: "Samson And Delilah" by TVSA: 10:39pm On Nov 17, 2019
jcross19:
Not only you. How can you tell someone your secret after they've betrayed you twice? The person must have been a dumbazz slowpoke.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Nobody: 4:04am On Nov 22, 2019
Eviana:

samson falling into the temptation does not mean he is less righteous.
Yes samson walked into delilah's embrace and fell for her not minding the implication of having a relationship with a philistine. God only use the situation for his own glory, that although samson fell for a moment but he surely rose up again.
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by MuttleyLaff: 4:40am On Nov 22, 2019
Eviana:
Sir/madam,
You are correct.
I was wanting someone to bring this up

Judges 14: 3,4 (KJV)
3 Then his father and his mother said unto him, Is there never a woman among the daughters of thy brethren, or among all my people, that thou goest to take a wife of the uncircumcised Philistines? And Samson said unto his father, Get her for me; for she pleaseth me well.
4 But his father and his mother knew not that it was of the Lord, that he sought an occasion against the Philistines: for at that time the Philistines had dominion over Israel.

It's clear that Samson had a purpose/ calling from God...and was aware of it.
But it may have been possible, that, in his desire to accomplish that purpose, he "veered off of the narrow pathway" at times to fulfilling the purpose by surrendering to temptation ...(the women).
That is my thought (and I could be wrong), but I do not see this as a "Hosea/Gomer" (where Hosea actually was commanded by God to marry Gomer--as an illustration between God and his wayward bride--the Church) type of situation.

MuttleyLaff:
God did not push him into the direction and/or warm embrace of Delilah
We know from Judges 14:4 that it was God who pushed Samson, in the direction to marry the young Philistine woman, Timnah and Samson was capable and able to withhold revealing his secret to her but God did not push Samson into the direction and/or warm embrace of Delilah, because God knew Samson wouldnt be capable to withstand, he wouldnt with Delilah be able nor manage to withhold revealing his secret to her
Re: "Samson And Delilah" by Eviana(f): 3:12am On Nov 24, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

We know from Judges 14:4 that it was God who pushed Samson, in the direction to marry the young Philistine woman, Timnah and Samson was capable and able to withhold revealing his secret to her but God did not push Samson into the direction and/or warm embrace of Delilah, because God knew Samson wouldnt be capable to withstand, he wouldnt with Delilah be able nor manage to withhold revealing his secret to her

I agree thay Delilah was not God's choice for Samson.
That was Samson's lust that motivated his choice.
God had laid in Samson's heart to deal with the Philistines..but I was just wondering if he had to marry a Philistine in order to attack the Philistines?
His parents thought that he just wanted to marry from the heathen...not knowing the full gist of what was to happen.
Was just thinking about that.
Not trying to cause confusion about the scripture though, but I probably need to research more to get clarity on that because it is important to me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Has The Great Tribulation Started? / Is There No Christmas Celebration In Israel / Rccg Worcester Ma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.