Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards (23300 Views)

AFCON: Avoid Watching Football If Hypertensive, Doctors Warn / Lagos Community Turns Canal To Dumpsite, Battles Offensive Odour, Health Hazards / Why Pregnant Women Should Not Drink Zobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by ikorodureporta: 7:18am On Nov 19, 2019
‘Do ultrasound scans sparingly’ — doctors warn pregnant mothers on possible hazards

Undergoing ultrasound scans too often may lead to foetus deformity among pregnant mothers or cause a thermal effect on the patient’s body tissue, experts have warned.

Janet Akinmoladun, a consultant radiologist at the University College Hospital (UCH) Ibadan, spoke while training doctors and paramedics on carrying out emergency ultrasound procedures at the 661 Nigerian Airforce Hospital in Ikeja, Lagos state.

The training, which held at the Sam Ethnan Airforce Base, was organized by the GTAK Health Alliance for Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) alongside the military hospital and saw a team of experts teach and showcase medical technologies.

Akinmoladun stated that, although ultrasound doesn’t involve electromagnetic rays, it should be done sparingly so as to avoid the possible hazards that might ensue in the long run due to excessive exposure.

“Ultrasound is very safe because it uses sound waves and doesn’t involve electromagnetic rays. However, it should be used sparingly. That it’s safe doesn’t justify patients undergoing it every time, especially pregnant women,” she said.

“Ideally, a pregnant woman can scan at least thrice. The first to check if the baby is there. The second is the anomaly scan to detect If there is any abnormality. And the third when to look up the position of the baby before delivery.

“But there’s a tendency for people to overdo it. Studies have claimed that the babies of women who had frequent scans could develop hair problems, sometimes autism, and other things.

“It’s advisable to reduce the number of times you scan because ultrasound can cause what we call the thermal effect, where it increases the heat on the baby or within the tissue. This can cause some damage in the long run.”

Janet Akinmoladun addressing the participants
Goke Akinrogunde, a medical sonologist at the 445 NAF hospital in Ikeja, and a principal associate at GTAK HEALTH Alliance for Point-of-Care Ultrasound, also noted that “serious heat effect” could result if the procedure is not done with caution.

“Unlike x-ray, ultrasound is not a radiation ionizing agent. But, just like every other thing, too much of such a procedure could be dangerous. It can become reverberating and can cause serious heat effect — although there’s no serious study on how many times you could do it such that it becomes so,” he said.

“Of course, we use ultrasound at other levels of medicine. Sometimes we can even use it to burn off some cancer, break stones in the gall bladder or the kidney. For diagnostic ones, all the machines are encoded to perform a safe diagnostic role.”

Speaking to TheCable on the sidelines, Akinrogunde expressed concerns that hand-held ultrasound devices are on the verge of replacing stethoscopes, yet, many Nigerian doctors still lack the skills to carry out the procedures.

“Ultrasound technology has grown away from the big complexities we had in the past. Before, you need a huge machine to scan. But now we have hand-held devices with apps that can be put on phones, allowing you to attach transducers and carry out ultrasound on the go,” he said.

“Technology has gone that far and they’ll shape what we’ll have in the future. But the medical curriculum and virtually all medical schools in Nigeria have not envisaged this. You find that, perhaps, less than one percent of the doctors they produce have the skill to carry out ultrasound scans.

“There’s a need to encourage Nigerian medical practitioners to seek knowledge. If there are skills that they can acquire, they should take advantage of them. A relevant government with interest in healthcare shouldn’t just focus on building hospitals alone. They also need to increase the capacity of practitioners.

“What we want to do is to put the skills in the hands of ordinary doctors. We also want to make sure that we nurture them young. With a stethoscope, you’re listening to the condition and this could be problematic because of possible disinformation. But, with ultrasound, you see the problem.”

Among others who spoke at the training are the 661 NAFH commander, represented by Tunde Osimokun; Caleb Yakubu, a consultant radiologist at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LUTH); and Ada Musa-Luka, a clinical applications trainer with JNC International.

Source: https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/do-ultrasound-scans-sparingly-doctors-warn-pregnant-mothers-on-possible-hazards/

5 Likes

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by inspitation: 1:31pm On Nov 19, 2019
oops FTC after so many years i dedicate this FTC to all pregnant and TTC women out there may you give birth like the hebrew women and be alive to cuddle your babies and to the TTC may the 2019 not end without you getting pregnant one love

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by isahsalee: 1:32pm On Nov 19, 2019
KO
Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by Imoobot(m): 1:32pm On Nov 19, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by kingcypress: 1:33pm On Nov 19, 2019
M

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by Superted01(m): 1:33pm On Nov 19, 2019
ok
Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by englishmart(m): 1:33pm On Nov 19, 2019
I wish I was a midwife wink smiley wink tongue

2 Likes

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by freshinko: 1:33pm On Nov 19, 2019
OK
Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 19, 2019
Even though I'm a...... lipsrsealed
Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by yeniyeni(m): 1:34pm On Nov 19, 2019
Women are always ager to know d sex of their child than d position of d foetus

4 Likes

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by angelEmade: 1:34pm On Nov 19, 2019
educative.

1 Like

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 19, 2019
True. I always suspected that just like x-rays, ultrasound scans shouldnt be so frequent. It's commonsensical.

EditusNG private tutoring, for high scores in IELTS.
Editus dot ng at gmail dot com.
Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by NaijaOlosho(f): 1:35pm On Nov 19, 2019
Mmm
Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by Nobody: 1:36pm On Nov 19, 2019
Thank you. I will tell my wife abt this

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by GeoAfrikana(m): 1:37pm On Nov 19, 2019
englishmart:

And what's interesting about that?

Perverts everywhere!

5 Likes

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by Ramos16(m): 1:38pm On Nov 19, 2019
I have never heard of ultrasounds side effect because there is no such. Who is this doctor

9 Likes

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by Ekakamba: 1:40pm On Nov 19, 2019
Wuna don dey abuse the word 'pervert' ooooo.
GeoAfrikana:

And what's interesting about that?

Perverts everywhere!
Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by tropaz(m): 1:45pm On Nov 19, 2019
englishmart:

kiss
Pregnant woman don mess for u b4?

1 Like

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by Pavore9: 1:45pm On Nov 19, 2019
yeniyeni:
Women are always ager to know d sex of their child than d position of d foetus

Societal pressure.

4 Likes

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by NinaArsenal(f): 1:47pm On Nov 19, 2019
Educative information. thank you Op for bring this to my knowledge.. I don learn something ahead of time.

1 Like

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by defolman(m): 1:49pm On Nov 19, 2019
Ramos16:
I have never heard of ultrasounds side effect because there is no such. Who is this doctor
Dunno
just saying his own

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by ibnzubair(m): 1:56pm On Nov 19, 2019
Hiaa!

I don't really believe in professionals that start passing their messages with the word 'may'.

The big difference between science and common sense is EVIDENCE. If she quotes the research... We can work towards enlightening the general public accordingly.

6 Likes

Re: Do Ultrasound Scans Sparingly - Doctors Warn Pregnant Women On Hazards by Ddeeda: 2:07pm On Nov 19, 2019
Beer parlor just. Smh

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon / Baby Born By Mentally Challenged Woman In Ondo Named After Ondo 1st Lady(pics) / Gunmen Assassinate UBTH Doctor, Otote Osaikhuomwan, Colleagues Protest (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.