Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,413 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Why Does The West Dominate African Football? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Does The West Dominate African Football? (4536 Views)

Nigeria, Hope Of African Football / Another African Football Legend Senegal's Jules Bocande Is Dead. / Who Is The Greatest Player To Ever Grace African Football: Weah Or Eto'o? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by kingbru(m): 9:06am On Nov 20, 2010
By Piers Edwards
The BBC shortlist for the 2010 African Footballer of the Year has underlined West Africa's dominance of such awards - because around three-quarters of winners of both the BBC and Confederation of African Football (Caf) accolades hail from the region.

Great names stand out: Jay-Jay Okocha and Nwankwo Kanu (Nigeria), Abedi Pele and Michael Essien (Ghana), Ivorian Didier Drogba, and Roger Milla and Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon) to name but a few.

Liberia's George Weah, meanwhile, is the only African to be crowned Fifa World Player of the Year.

Weah also won the BBC award in 1995 and this year, another West African will join him - with Drogba and Eto'o joined on the shortlist by Yaya Toure, Asamoah Gyan and Andre 'Dede' Ayew.
And it's not just a matter of a few talented individuals - look at the results and you will also see that West Africa's footballing pre-eminence is unquestionable:

Cameroon, Senegal and Ghana are Africa's only ever World Cup quarter-finalists; Nigeria and Cameroon are the continent's sole winners of Olympic gold, while Nigeria and Ghana share six Fifa world titles at U17 and U20 level.

So what explains this superiority?

"Such dominance always comes down to genetics and environmental arguments," sports scientist Tim Noakes told me on the line from Cape Town.

"West Africans are bigger and stronger than the rest of the continent - with the world's best sprinters originating from the area."

"East Africans are of course the distance runners - with a much smaller, lighter frame and the southern and northern Africans largely share that build.

"But West Africans' physical attributes would mean nothing unless there's also the right environment and sportsmen train hard."

Football wannabes exert themselves across all Africa but the eastern and southern regions, despite huge enthusiasm for football, still trail far behind.

East Africa has never qualified for a World Cup and its two Nations Cup titles would seem paltry - until compared to southern Africa's solitary win, although former champions Bafana Bafana are one of two World Cup qualifiers from the region.

So how have Egypt - whose players have physiques which are nowhere near as powerful as many West Africans - won seven Nations Cups, three more than anyone else?

"Egyptians compete successfully because they're doing something different," Noakes explains.

He believes they compensate for their lighter frames with superior ball skills, much as players like Lionel Messi, Xavi and Steven Pienaar, to given an African example, are doing.

But interestingly, despite the Nations Cup victories, an Egyptian player has won just one Caf best player title and two for the BBC (the latter differing in that it is voted for by fans rather than national coaches).

"I don't know if I'm surprised by this," the former Aston Villa, Coventry City and Deportivo La Coruna star told the BBC's African sports programme Fast Track. "Nearly all Egyptians play at home so the media and public elsewhere can seldom watch them."

With impressive facilities and salaries, many Pharaohs, even those as talented as Mohamed Aboutreika, show little willingness to go abroad.

Meanwhile, other nations simply cannot place their players overseas as easily as West Africa, where success for national sides offers opportunities for individuals and lures agents aplenty.

"In Kenya, we only have one Fifa-approved agent and right now he's relocated to Australia," says football official Hussein Swaleh. "We know very few agents - one in France, one in Sweden and one in Qatar - and have none in England because no one's interested in Kenya."

That's because, despite MacDonald Mariga (Inter) and Dennis Oliech (Auxerre) contesting the Uefa Champions League, Kenya's Fifa ranking is below the UK's work permit threshold of 70th place

This makes it hard for an African from such a country, and over 70% of African nations fall outside this stipulation, to win a contract with a top European side, meaning the cycle of failure goes on - while West Africa is awash with both agents and academies.

Agreeing that West Africans are far stronger physically, Hadji believes it's not the only area where the region boasts an advantage.

"Mentally, West Africans are stronger than us and I'm still unsure why North Africans don't have as much hunger or give up quicker than others," he says. "Our skill levels are the same but it's mentality that makes the difference."

There's no doubting the mental fortitude of some West Africans.

Ghana's Sammy Kuffuor, who won the BBC award in 2001, is a good example of a player who maximised his innate skills to reach the top, eventually winning several German titles and a Champions League with Bayern Munich.

"When I joined Bayern (aged 17), I faced a very big challenge as there were five or so German internationals in my position," he tells the BBC. "So I had to get psyched in my mind to reach the top and, as a young boy from Africa, needed to give 150% to get to the first team.

"But I always knew I would make it as I was so determined."

And maybe that determination also came from seeing a fellow Ghanaian like Abedi Pele shining on the world stage.

"The goal of many young children is to be like their country's great heroes," says Noakes.

"And if they've already seen it happen, that makes a massive difference and it is far likelier that it will also happen for them."
In 1998, Morocco's Mustapha Hadji won both - and he is, remarkably, the only non-West African to have won the Caf title in 21 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/piersedwards/2010/11/why_does_the_west_dominate_afr.html

Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by otumfour(m): 3:49pm On Nov 20, 2010
interesting
Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by xreal: 5:31pm On Nov 20, 2010
good one.

But, when it comes to Rugby, the South[/b]erners([b]africa) have an edge on others.
Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Nov 20, 2010
^rugby? please.

@topic. Wait last time I check Morocco is in West Africa tongue, there may be a lot of creme there but the foundation is chocolate cheesy. The post pretty much answered the question. In track/field East Africans dominate because they are natives to flat land/ plains. Thousands of years living there required them to do the long distance running as a means of migration or hunting so they have adapted to that environment which is evident in their slender, long leg build (their strength being in the lower half of the body mostly). West Africans/Central Africans are more stockier and muscular as they did not have to do much long distant running and were more physical than their eastern African counterparts. As Usain Bolt (Jamaican track star of West African descent) illustrated, W. Africans are short distant runners which is approx. the same distance as the the football field (or maybe longer depending on the individual's fitness) so no hard running is required and the built of W.Africans allow them more flexibility with the lower halves of their bodies just as well as their abdomens. So in essence. . .

* in the middle of thought pauses, stares @ Gyan's picture and drools*
Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by medjai(m): 9:23pm On Nov 20, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

^rugby? please.

@topic. Wait last time I check Morocco is in West Africa tongue, there may be a lot of creme there but the foundation is chocolate cheesy. The post pretty much answered the question. In track/field East Africans dominate because they are natives to flat land/ plains. Thousands of years living there required them to do the long distance running as a means of migration or hunting so they have adapted to that environment which is evident in their slender, long leg build (their strength being in the lower half of the body mostly). West Africans/Central Africans are more stockier and muscular as they did not have to do much long distant running and were more physical than their eastern African counterparts. As Usain Bolt (Jamaican track star of West African descent) illustrated, W. Africans are short distant runners which is approx. the same distance as the the football field (or maybe longer depending on the individual's fitness) so no hard running is required and the built of W.Africans allow them more flexibility with the lower halves of their bodies just as well as their abdomens. So in essence. . .

* in the middle of thought pauses, stares @ Gyan's picture and drools*
Morocco is in North Africa. . .

Because West African players make up the bulk of an award doesnt mean they are the dominant force on the continent, that to me is North Africa. 1994 was the last time a West African nation won the nations cup. That is 16 years ago. North African nations have won the nations cup 5 times in the last 16 years.
If you also look at the CAF Champions League, the last time a club from a West African nation won it was in 2004. Clubs from North African nations have won it 4 times in the last 6 years.
North Africa is clearly the dominant region when it comes to football in Africa

P.S: Cameroon is central Africa
Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by omar22(m): 4:36pm On Nov 22, 2010
Taking the BBC normination as Gospel is looney,

The BBC ONLY FOCUS on the players they know or play in the EPL
Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by Saheed9: 5:44pm On Nov 22, 2010
I dont think cameroon is in west africa
Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 22, 2010
@op because they are the best ehen it comes to soccer matter
Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by dayokanu(m): 7:23pm On Nov 22, 2010
Same reason why East Africans dominate long distance
Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by morpheus24: 8:08pm On Nov 22, 2010
medjai:

Morocco is in North Africa. . .

Because West African players make up the bulk of an award doesnt mean they are the dominant force on the continent, that to me is North Africa. 1994 was the last time a West African nation won the nations cup. That is 16 years ago. North African nations have won the nations cup 5 times in the last 16 years.
If you also look at the CAF Champions League, the last time a club from a West African nation won it was in 2004. Clubs from North African nations have won it 4 times in the last 6 years.
North Africa is clearly the dominant region when it comes to football in Africa

P.S: Cameroon is central Africa

I sense some recentment here my Northern brother

The reason West African' dominate in football stems from their indoctrination into the game early on in colonializm and their physical attributes that aid their development.

It is no coincidence that Britain and France, being world class soccer countries have had a large influence on the game being played heavily in their forma colonies.

Sorry but north african players don't comeup on the blimp of highly skilled individual players.

Ya'll do perform better as a group but that is more of infrastructure and higher training facilities than anything else.

The individual flare is stilll home in the WEST,

By the way Cameroon is considered West Africa
Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by marcus1234: 8:19pm On Nov 22, 2010
Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by Shoolar(m): 11:04pm On Nov 22, 2010
Coz west african are d 'pillar of africa' both in economy & football.
Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by chelseabmw(m): 5:30am On Nov 23, 2010
dayokanu:

Same reason why East Africans dominate long distance

best reply so far
Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by opabukun(m): 8:55am On Nov 23, 2010
omar22:

Taking the BBC normination as Gospel is looney,

The BBC ONLY FOCUS on the players they know or play in the EPL
grin grin grin
Re: Why Does The West Dominate African Football? by Afam4eva(m): 10:38am On Nov 23, 2010
xreal:

good one.

But, when it comes to Rugby, the South[/b]erners([b]africa) have an edge on others.

White southern Africans you mean. Mind you we've not started playing rugby professionally in Nigeria and west Africa. When we start we'll be a force to reckon. Rugby requires the physique which west Africans have.

(1) (Reply)

Olympics 2012: Boxer Ogoke Vows To Win / Worst Ever Player To Play For Your Club? / How Can I Stop Playing Virtual Soccer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.