Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! (13249 Views)

Tree Branch On A Fuel Queue In Kaduna (Photos) / Gov. Fashola Donates Buses To University Of Lagos Students(photos) / 2 Nigerian Students Invent Fueless Power Generator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by MShittu: 4:46pm On Nov 20, 2010

Two students of Doregos Private Academy, Lagos, Olajumoke Adebayo and Eniola Adewale has invented a fueless power generator. The invention was showcased at the Pan-African Women Inventors & Innovators Network Symposium, Expo & Awards at the ECOWAS Commission in Abuja.
The event titled Innovative Women with Innovative Solutions for Africa was witnessed by the minister of Information and Communication, Prof. Dora Akunyili, and Mrs Josephine Anenih., minister for Women Affairs, It was indeed a commemdation galore for the students as other youths were advised to emulate them.
The students both in SS3 and members of the Junior Engineers, Technicians & Scientists (JETS Club) said the idea was born out of a need to minimize the cost spent of the usage of fuel generators as an average amount of N10, 000 is spent on fuel weekly adding that their invention does not emit any toxic and poses no threat to human health.
According to them, the idea was conceived through the JETS club to which they belonged as coordinators. “We used magnetic flux to generate electricity which the conventional magnet cannot. It consists of a shaf fixed with eight neodymium magnets which rotates when an initial current is passed through the field coils. The electricity is then passed from the copper coil to a step-up transformer which steps up the power voltage from 32 volts to 200 volts to power the output of the generator”. They said.
The young stars noted that JETS club afforded them a vantage avenue to think, analyze and work on scientific research before embarking on the project based on their scientific knowledge that a generator can still exist without using fuel. They stated that it is possible to produce cheaper and more dependable source of electricity for both domestic and industrial use.
The invention the students admitted was not an easy scale through as they had to make several presentations and seminars on the project to the audience comprising their teachers and the school authority before they were finally selected to defend the significance of their project.
Both students hinted that they intend pursuing a career in Engineering in the near future, to develop a bigger generator that can power the whole school.” This is just a prototype to showcase our endowments and potentials.”
The materials used for the invention according to them are a locally fabricated step up transformer, capacitors with total capacity 400,000 uf, neodymium magnets, copper wires transistors battery, oscillators, bulbs and several other materials.
The coordinator Junior Engineers, Technicians & Scientists (JETS Club), of the academy, Mr Lawal Olaide noted that the problem of high cost usage of fuel generators and unemployment in the country coupled with the burning desires of the students to make something unusual was responsible for the feat. according to him, “the main objective of this project is to produce a generator that can produce cheap and sustainable electric power to solve the problem of power supply permanently in the country, adding that it is also of great importance as it does not emit any waste (toxic) products as with conventional generators”.
The Principal of the academy, Mr Jide Adebayo said the school is committed to its mission of creating a learning environment which maximizes individuals’ potentials to meet the challenges of education and life.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/11/2-students-invent-fueless-power-generator/
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by jason12345: 5:01pm On Nov 20, 2010
may God continue to be with these kids.

if only we have a reliable government, these kids would be going places.
i hope they patent their technology.

God bless Nigeria
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by aljharem(m): 5:07pm On Nov 20, 2010
good one, we need more of this in nigeria, God bless this people wink
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by coldsteam: 5:09pm On Nov 20, 2010
naija,we too much  grin
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by jason12345: 5:12pm On Nov 20, 2010
coldsteam:

naija,we too much  grin
abi ooo! nigerians are very industrious people. the government just needs to tap her potential and . . . puff!, thats it . we are off the mark!
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by homerac7: 5:51pm On Nov 20, 2010
In as much as I commend d efforts of d young Pupils I feel obliged to rebuke d reporter for sensational colouration.

I am a mechanical engineer an sense of professional duty demands dt d newer generation r groomed appropriately.

While d work of d youngsters is praiseworthy, it should not b presented as though they own d technology. D technology is all over town and is ordinary.

Secondly, d description is most inappropriate, unscientific and mischievously calculated to misguide unsuspecting public. There is nothing as fuel-less engine just as there is no effortless machine. It's a basic law dt energy(electricity inclusive) can neither b created nor destroyed. U only get conversion from a form to another. So if there's electrical energy output, wasn't there input? Is work output over input unity, thereby creating a perpetual motion machine wc engineering laws say r impossible?

D claim as published is plain silly and irresponsible. It's an engineering professional duty to show responsibility to d society and not mislead them. D project is merely a junior students work wc an electrical engineer will b quick to point out its crudeness as cheaper and less moving-part electrical components can easily b substituted for d mechanical parts to reduce wear losses and improve performance. They r only students dt need to b tutored properly and developed character wise. Definitely by teaching them sincerity and not deception or mediocrity.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by DapoBear(m): 5:57pm On Nov 20, 2010
It requires electricity sef to run. I must admit I've forgotten a lot of my physics, but crudely speaking I think this is just electricity -> magnetic field -> electricity again.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by jason12345: 6:03pm On Nov 20, 2010
homerac7:

In as much as I commend d efforts of d young Pupils I feel obliged to rebuke d reporter for sensational colouration.

I am a mechanical engineer an sense of professional duty demands dt d newer generation r groomed appropriately.

While d work of d youngsters is praiseworthy, it should not b presented as though they own d technology. D technology is all over town and is ordinary.

Secondly, d description is most inappropriate, unscientific and mischievously calculated to misguide unsuspecting public. There is nothing as fuel-less engine just as there is no effortless machine. It's a basic law dt energy(electricity inclusive) can neither b created nor destroyed. U only get conversion from a form to another. So if there's electrical energy output, wasn't there input? Is work output over input unity, thereby creating a perpetual motion machine wc engineering laws say r impossible?

D claim as published is plain silly and irresponsible. It's an engineering professional duty to show responsibility to d society and not mislead them. D project is merely a junior students work wc an electrical engineer will b quick to point out its crudeness as cheaper and less moving-part electrical components can easily b substituted for d mechanical parts to reduce wear losses and improve performance. They r only students dt need to b tutored properly and developed character wise. Definitely by teaching them sincerity and not deception or mediocrity.

in as much as this is not my field of study and i might have over praised them. you have to admit that they were quite smart.
for them to have constructed the "fuel-less" generator" they most have had some knowledge about thermodynamics and electromagnetism in SSS3 shocked.
It might have just been a simple case of using a transformer to boost the electrical energy generated.

all in all, kudos to the kids and i think they should be encouraged!
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Beaf: 6:04pm On Nov 20, 2010
I'm sorry to burst you guys bubble, but a so called "fuelless" generator or any other perpetual motion device is impossible.
Nothing can break the law of conservation of energy.

Nigerians are always taken in by incomplete explanations and tricks. The school and its teachers should be given very dirty slaps for decieving those poor kids.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by jason12345: 6:06pm On Nov 20, 2010
Beaf:

I'm sorry to burst you guys bubble, but a so called "fuelless" generator or any other perpetual motion device is impossible.
Nothing can break the law of conservation of energy.

Nigerians are always taken in by incomplete explanations and tricks.

i am sure what they meant by fuel-less generator was a generator without the use of hydrocarbons eg petrol or kerosine
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Beaf: 6:10pm On Nov 20, 2010
jason12345:

i am sure what they meant by fuel-less generator was a generator without the use of hydrocarbons eg petrol or kerosine

They meant what we can read from the article and it really is rubbish. And what they meant is that they have succeeded in propagating pseudo-science through the minds of young children.
The whole affair is disgraceful and condemnable.

The able kids need to be taken from that sham environment and sent to better schools. In other countries, that school would be in danger of closing down for hubris, while the principal and staff concerned would never ever be able to teach again in any capacity.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by DapoBear(m): 6:13pm On Nov 20, 2010
^--- Think you are overreacting. It is still a nice science fairish sort of project, but shouldn't have been hyped that much by the newspaper.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Kobojunkie: 6:14pm On Nov 20, 2010
homerac7:

While d work of d youngsters is  praiseworthy, it should not b presented as though they own d technology. D technology is all over town and is ordinary.

D claim as published is plain silly and irresponsible. [/b]It's an engineering professional duty to show responsibility to d society and not mislead them. D project is merely a junior students work wc an electrical engineer will b quick to point out its crudeness as cheaper and less moving-part electrical components can easily b substituted for d mechanical parts to reduce wear losses and improve performance. They r only students [b]dt need to b tutored properly and developed character wise. Definitely by teaching them sincerity and not deception or mediocrity.

***CLAPS*****  smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by jason12345: 6:15pm On Nov 20, 2010
Beaf:

They meant what we can read from the article and it really is rubbish. And what they meant is that they have succeeded in propagating pseudo-science through the minds of young children.
The whole affair is disgraceful and condemnable.

The able kids need to be taken from that sham environment and sent to better schools. In other countries, that school would be in danger of closing down for hubris, while the principal and staff concerned would never ever be able to teach again in any capacity.

i would prefer if we can use the media to build the confidence of today's kids. if its is propaganda, i would support it.
this kids are smart and the least we can do is encourage them. thats just my opinion.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by homerac7: 6:16pm On Nov 20, 2010
Jason,

I Ws in JETS at over 15yrs ago. Though our work Ws actually a collabo wt our coordinator, yet there Ws much student input and ORIGINALITY.

D whole process setup as described above is current public hype by all ds forex trading/how to make wealth/whatever-brings-money seminar organizers. So thee Ws hardly originality to it thence making it wrong for some cheap minded journalists to say 'create'.

For a class group physics project, I will say ok. But for JETS, I don't know. I am just strongly against teaching d young souls irresponsibility and mediocrity.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Beaf: 6:17pm On Nov 20, 2010
DapoBear:

^--- Think you are overreacting. It is still a nice science fairish sort of project, but shouldn't have been hyped that much by the newspaper.

I'm not. No school should teach kids falsehoods. Perpetual motion machines, free energy concepts etc always fall under the categoryof scientific hoaxes. It is a crime for a school to be involved in such.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Beaf: 6:18pm On Nov 20, 2010
jason12345:

i would prefer if we can use the media to build the confidence of today's kids. if its is propaganda, i would support it.
this kids are smart and the least we can do is encourage them. thats just my opinion.

So why not teach them 419 as well, if such rubbish is acceptable?
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by jason12345: 6:23pm On Nov 20, 2010
homerac7:

Jason,

I Ws in JETS at over 15yrs ago. Though our work Ws actually a collabo wt our coordinator, yet there Ws much student input and ORIGINALITY.

D whole process setup as described above is current public hype by all ds forex trading/how to make wealth/whatever-brings-money seminar organizers. So thee Ws hardly originality to it thence making it wrong for some cheap minded journalists to say 'create'.

For a class group physics project, I will say ok. But for JETS, I don't know. I am just strongly against teaching d young souls irresponsibility and mediocrity.

i understand what you mean but there is no way they would have participated would having knowledge about it. i also acknowledge it is mediocity but if thats what it takes to build our future leaders confidence, then i am support it.
we must learn to build our confidence not bring it down.

Beaf:

So why not teach them 419 as well, if such rubbish is acceptable?

it is not rubbish, they actually built a "fuel-less" generator (no hydrocarbons involved) and i would commend them for that
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by homerac7: 6:24pm On Nov 20, 2010
^^^

Chai, Beaf u don kolo.  grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Beaf: 6:28pm On Nov 20, 2010
^
What do you mean? How I take kolo? shocked
Na jason12345 de kolo seriously!
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by jason12345: 6:31pm On Nov 20, 2010
Beaf:

^
What do you mean? How I take kolo? shocked
Na jason12345 de kolo seriously!

na you wey everyone know say ni don kolo! grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by homerac7: 6:34pm On Nov 20, 2010
Jason

U know dt I never at any point rebuked d students. I only condemned d mediocrity of their teachers and d reporter. But I insist dt its substandard project for JETS, bt okay for class group project.

If d point is 'fuel-less', what do u expect d Chinese to say about d manual rechargeable torches we buy from Oshodi? A friend who visited Singapore years back actually told me how a young chap Ws showing him same as individual class project. Wouldn't u say dt d guy too should run to d press dt he has 'created' a fuel-less generator?
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Beaf: 6:35pm On Nov 20, 2010
jason12345:

it is not rubbish, they actually built a "fuel-less" generator (no hydrocarbons involved) and i would commend them for that

This is why I asked if the kids should be taught 419 too, cos it works on well on the gullible.

'"fuel-less" generator (no hydrocarbons involved),' yet they get a current from somewhere?

. . .And, in science, fuel does not mean hydrocarbons, a fuel is anything that can generate energy in a system.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by wesley80(m): 6:37pm On Nov 20, 2010
I started laughing as soon as i read the second paragraph. I didnt end up in the sciences, but from the much i did in my SS 1 & 2, i knew this was possible there's even a diagram of the process in the popular secondary school physics textbook by P.N Okeke - without the boosters anyway. The children should be commended for actually carrying out and proving a well known experiment and nothing more.
I strongly believe the bashing should go to the ignorant reporter who perhaps was just too impressed to have seen 'light' without fuel and noise he's used to, but i dont blame him and neither do i blame those that have queued up to praise the 'kids invention'. Na where them know reach!
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by homerac7: 6:38pm On Nov 20, 2010
Beaf,y I go say make dem teach children dem 419? grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by slap1(m): 6:39pm On Nov 20, 2010
The kids should be commended even though "invention" is not entirely unique.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by jason12345: 6:40pm On Nov 20, 2010
Beaf:

This is why I asked if the kids should be taught 419 too, cos it works on well on the gullible.

'"fuel-less" generator (no hydrocarbons involved),' yet they get a current from somewhere?

. . .And, in science, fuel does not mean hydrocarbons, a fuel is anything that can generate energy in a system.

i know but in context of the article, they were certainly just referring to petrol or other hydrocarbons not used.

the electrical power could have been gotten from a lead battery with a very low "over-potential"
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by jason12345: 6:41pm On Nov 20, 2010
wesley80:

I started laughing as soon as i read the second paragraph. I didnt end up in the sciences, but from the much i did in my SS 1 & 2, i knew this was possible there's even a diagram of the process in the popular s[b]econdary school physics textbook by P.N Okeke[/b] - without the boosters anyway. The children should be commended for actually carrying out and proving a well known experiment and nothing more.
I strongly believe the bashing should go to the ignorant reporter who perhaps was just too impressed to have seen 'light' without fuel and noise he's used to, but i dont blame him and neither do i blame those that have queued up to praise the 'kids invention'. Na where them know reach!

@ bolded

oh i remember does textbooks in nigeria! cheesy
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Ymodulus: 6:56pm On Nov 20, 2010
Beaf has said it all. i just pity those Yorubas they are so gullible. Look at them. Exhibiting their IGNORANCE and STUPIDITY to the world. Fuel less Generator Ni Hazard free Ko.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Ymodulus: 6:57pm On Nov 20, 2010
Beaf has said it all. i just pity those Yorubas they are so gullible. Look at them. Exhibiting their IGNORANCE and STUPIDITY to the world. Fuel less Generator Ni Hazard free Ko.
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by DapoBear(m): 6:58pm On Nov 20, 2010
Might not be the right place to ask, but do kids usually buy these books, or does the school provide them? How exactly does this aspect of the educational system work. . .?
Re: Lagos Students Create A Fuel-less Power Generator! by Dabss(m): 7:14pm On Nov 20, 2010
i can see what it runs on
if not fuel then what

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Egbesu Fraternity Claim Responsibility For Sapele Bombing / BREAKING: Soldiers Repel Boko Haram Attack On Biu Town, Borno State / Tambuwal Commissions Road In Abia During His Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.