Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,637 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... (5456 Views)

Types Of Wives At Ileya Family Gathering / Ruling On One Who Reads Qur’aan But Does Not Pray / Who Wrote The Qur’aan And How Was It Put Together? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Rashduct4luv(m): 3:46pm On Nov 23, 2019
Question
The father of one of my friends has died and it was necessary to attend the dinner that they offered to the people present. Whilst we were waiting for the food to be served, some of the people present began to recite Qur’aan together, and I am aware that this is an innovation and that it is not proven from the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him and his family).
I wanted to object to this action but I was afraid of causing trouble and I did not have sufficient evidence.
Was I sinning by being present and listening to their recitation?
Should I have objected to them, even if that was by saying that there is no proof of this from the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him)?.

Answer
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:
It is not permissible for the family of the deceased to make food and invite people to come and eat. The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) forbade that. Jareer ibn ‘Abdullah said: We used to regard gathering with the family of the deceased and making food after the burial as coming under the same heading as wailing.. Narrated by Ahmad, 6866; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Talkhees Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz.

It is not permissible to go to these meals and gatherings; rather what must be done is to tell people not to do that and to explain to them that it is contrary to Islam.

With regard to reciting Qur’aan together, if the group starts to recite Qur’aan together in unison, this is another innovation; this was not narrated from the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) or from any of his Companions.

Based on that, you should not have attended this gathering and if you did attend, then you should have explained to them that this action is not prescribed in Islam. If they did not respond to you then you should have left the place, because the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever among you sees an evil action, then let him change it with his hand [by taking action]; if he cannot, then with his tongue [by speaking out]; and if he cannot, then with his heart – and that is the weakest of faith.”
Narrated by Muslim, 49

Part of objecting to evil in the heart is leaving the place where it is happening.

Raising one’s voice in wailing and lamenting, striking the cheeks and eulogizing the deceased are all bid’ah and actions of the jaahiliyyah. It was reported in a hadeeth: “He is not one of us who strikes his cheeks, rends his garments and calls with the call of the jaahiliyyah.”
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1294, Fath 3/163; Muslim, 103; Ahmad, 1/244).

Wearing black as a sign of mourning for the deceased is bid’ah; but the wives of the deceased should avoid wearing fancy or adorned clothes, jewellery, makeup and perfume during their period of mourning.
It is bid’ah for women to avoid their usual work and activities; the newly-widowed woman can still prepare food, clean the house, wash the dishes, do laundry, etc. There is nothing wrong with her doing that.

And Allaah knows best.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/islamqa.info/amp/en/answers/170391

2 Likes

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Nobody: 9:35am On Nov 29, 2019
Wearing black as a sign of mourning for the deceased is bid’ah; but the wives of the deceased should avoid wearing fancy or adorned clothes, jewellery, makeup and perfume during their period of mourning.[/color]
[color=#000099]It is bid’ah for women to avoid their usual work and activities; the newly-widowed woman can still prepare food, clean the house, wash the dishes, do laundry, etc. There is nothing wrong with her doing that

This Islam has one thing in common

4 Likes

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Ola260: 9:41am On Nov 29, 2019
I haven't seen any proof that rules against reading Quran in gathering on behalf of the deceased. Pls any help?

3 Likes

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by marvin906(m): 9:45am On Nov 29, 2019
what are the rules on 7 virgin's am curious

3 Likes

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by kutashi: 9:58am On Nov 29, 2019
Eartquake1:
I need a ruling to shit please

Before entering the toilet

[بِسْمِ اللهِ] اَللَّهُمَّ إِنِّيْ أَعُوْذُ بِكَ مِنَ الْخُبْثِ وَالْخَبَائِثِ.

[In the name of Allaah]. O Allaah, I take refuge with you from all evil and evil-doers.

After leaving the toilet

غُفْرَانَكَ.

I ask You [Allaah] for forgiveness.

And you enter toilet with your left leg and come out with your right leg. Hope this helps you! I know you will be wandering that there is response actually to your statement. Well that's Islam '4u'! The most stupid human with an idiot statement will be meet with responsible response! That's Islam 4u again! I sincerely invite you to religion of peace where all your aspect of you can think of is guided by Allah!

19 Likes

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by abudawah(m): 10:04am On Nov 29, 2019
My problem with most of you modern "scholars" is that you absolutely depended on Islam Q&A. Opinions expressed on Q&A is mostly based on opinions of Saudi scholars and tactically and gradually they are dragging us to madhhab as most of their fatawa are based on the Hambali madhhab.

4 Likes

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by ayzee04(m): 10:10am On Nov 29, 2019
kutashi:

Before entering the toilet

[بِسْمِ اللهِ] اَللَّهُمَّ إِنِّيْ أَعُوْذُ بِكَ مِنَ الْخُبْثِ وَالْخَبَائِثِ.

[In the name of Allaah]. O Allaah, I take refuge with you from all evil and evil-doers.

After leaving the toilet

غُفْرَانَكَ.

I ask You [Allaah] for forgiveness.

And you enter toilet with your left leg and come out with your right leg. Hope this helps you! I know you will be wandering that there is response actually to your statement. Well that's Islam '4u'! The most stupid human with an idiot statement will be meet with responsible response! That's Islam 4u again! I sincerely invite you to religion of peace where all your aspect of you can think of is guided by Allah!

This is the nicest and most loving response i had read this month. Jazakumullah khaeran.

9 Likes

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Newnas(m): 10:10am On Nov 29, 2019
MrsNwaAmaikpe:
shocked

I was once a devoted Muslim.

All these rules and laws made me denounce the faith.

I was sent out of the mosque because my menses came unexpectedly.

Your first sentence contradicts your second. Ponder!

Your third sentence shows you are a dirty and careless woman.

8 Likes

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Sterope(f): 10:22am On Nov 29, 2019
So organising Qur'an recitation and feeding friends and family who come to show condolences are Innovations.

You should as well tell your guests to fast before visiting. It will save those that came from faraway from searching for Bukas.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Sterope(f): 10:24am On Nov 29, 2019
The person you quoted is a troll

However what is your problem with the third sentence. It seemed like you gave an unresolved problem with period.

Newnas:

3 Likes

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by mbhs139(m): 10:26am On Nov 29, 2019
Newnas:

This is rather uncalled for and very condescending to say the least, and it isn't the way of dawah.

I'm not a lady, but I'm old enough to know that menstruation, sometimes, come unexpected. To now call her names as a result is very rude, and as a matter of fact gives credence to why so many folks are renouncing Islam. Yes, you may want to argue that it is those who don't know what it entails being a Muslim, but at this same time our attitude to other as an adherant of the faith speaks louder of the religion teaches us. Thank I met islam before the Muslims, Muslims like you.

6 Likes

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Newnas(m): 10:28am On Nov 29, 2019
Sterope:
The person you quoted is a troll

However what is your problem with the third sentence. It seemed like you gave an unresolved problem with period.

Kindly mention the unresolved problem. I'd be glad to resolve it.

I know s/he's a troll.
Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by mbhs139(m): 10:31am On Nov 29, 2019
MrsNwaAmaikpe:
shocked

First of all, I'm sorry about the way you were treated at the mosque for something that isn't your fault first and foremost, and most annoyingly by your fellow women who were suppose to know better. This isn't the way of Islam.

Secondly, I think you have to carefully trace your step back and do a deep search of true pristine Islam. If you base your understanding of Islam on what you see around, or what people say or do, I'm afraid, you wont appreciate what islam is, especially from this part of the world, Nigeria.

So, my dear sis, you can PM me and let's take it up from there if it's not too late.

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Newnas(m): 10:38am On Nov 29, 2019
abudawah:
My problem with most of you modern "scholars" is that you absolutely depended on Islam Q&A. Opinions expressed on Q&A is mostly based on opinions of Saudi scholars and tactically and gradually they are dragging us to madhhab as most of their fatawa are based on the Hanafi madhhab.

No, they don't depend on QA.

But it's a lot easier to copy what someone has written than to rewrite it. Why reinvent the wheel?
Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Newnas(m): 10:39am On Nov 29, 2019
mbhs139:

First of all, I'm sorry about the way you were treated at the mosque for something that isn't your fault first and foremost, and most annoyingly by your fellow women who were suppose to know better. This isn't the way of Islam.

Secondly, I think you have to carefully trace your step back and do a deep search of true pristine Islam. If you base your understanding of Islam on what you see around, or what people say or do, I'm afraid, you wont appreciate what islam is, especially from this part of the world, Nigeria.

So, my dear sis, you can PM me and let's take it up from there if it's not too late.

You're quoting a troll. Are you new to NairaLand?

2 Likes

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Sterope(f): 10:44am On Nov 29, 2019
You have called most women 'dirty and careless' over a situation you have never experienced.

Newnas:

Kindly mention the unresolved problem. I'd be glad to resolve it.

I know s/he's a troll.

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by mbhs139(m): 10:44am On Nov 29, 2019
Newnas:

You're quoting a troll. Are you new to NairaLand?

I'm new to this thread. My bad! I never knew.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Newnas(m): 10:50am On Nov 29, 2019
Sterope:
You have called most women 'dirty and careless' over a situation you have never experienced.

Did I?

As far as I know, a woman knows when are period is near. Is there anything that prevents her from using pads during the period of expectation?

And moreover, isn't it embarrassing for her to get such stain in public? If it were a young teenager, perhaps it would be understood but a full grown adult is expected to be more cautious.

I don't know if you get my point.
Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by idrezee(m): 11:04am On Nov 29, 2019
Assalamu-alaikum.
Please what prayer should one do upon acquiring a new thing. Lets say a car. Jazzaka-lahul-khair

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Rashduct4luv(m): 11:12am On Nov 29, 2019
abudawah:
My problem with most of you modern "scholars" is that you absolutely depended on Islam Q&A. Opinions expressed on Q&A is mostly based on opinions of Saudi scholars and tactically and gradually they are dragging us to madhhab as most of their fatawa are based on the Hanafi madhhab.

My Problem with critics who criticise erroneously without evidence is that they are gradually tilting towards being an Ahl-Bid'ia than Ahl-Sunnah!
Where is the evidence that most of their Fatawa is Hanafi based?

Let me quote from the website

It is not obligatory for a Muslim to follow any particular madhhab among these four. People vary in their level of understanding and ability to derive rulings from the evidence. There are some for whom it is permissible to follow (taqleed), and indeed it may be obligatory in their case. There are others who can only follow the shar’i evidence. In Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah this question was answered in a detailed manner, which is worth quoting here in full.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah, no. 3323:

Whoever is qualified to derive rulings from the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and has strong knowledge in that regard, even if that is with the help of the legacy of fiqh that we have inherited from earlier scholars of Islam, has the right to do that, so he can act upon it himself and explain it in disputes and issue fatwas to those who consult him. Whoever is not qualified to do that has to ask trustworthy people who so that he may learn the rulings from their books and act upon that, without limiting his asking or his reading to one of the scholars of the four madhhabs. Rather people refer to the four imams because they are so well known and their books are well written and widely available.

Whoever says that it is obligatory for the learned people to follow the scholars blindly in all cases is making a mistake and being inflexible, and is thinking that these learned people are inadequate, and he is restricting something that is broad in scope.

Whoever says that we should limit following to the four madhhabs is also mistaken, because he is restricting something that is broad in scope with no evidence for doing so. With regard to the common (i.e., uneducated) man there is no difference between the four imams and others such as al-Layth ibn Sa’d, al-Awzaa’i and other fuqaha’.
Fataawa al-Lajnah, 5/41

The madhhab of Abu Haneefah (may Allaah have mercy on him) is the most widespread madhhab among the Muslims, and perhaps one of the reasons for that is that the Ottoman caliphs followed this madhhab and they ruled the Muslim lands for more than six centuries. That does not mean that the madhhab of Abu Haneefah is the most sound madhhab or that every ijtihaad in it is correct, rather like other madhhabs it contains some things that are correct and some that are incorrect. What the believer must do is to follow the truth and what is correct, regardless of who says it.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/21420/is-it-obligatory-to-follow-a-particular-madhhab

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Rashduct4luv(m): 11:20am On Nov 29, 2019
Sterope:
So organising Qur'an recitation and feeding friends and family who come to show condolences are Innovations.

You should as well tell your guests to fast before visiting. It will save those that came from faraway from searching for Bukas.

Show us the evidence that validates organising Qur'an recitation and feeding people who came to show condolence.
Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Rashduct4luv(m): 11:29am On Nov 29, 2019
idrezee:
Assalamu-alaikum.
Please what prayer should one do upon acquiring a new thing. Lets say a car. Jazzaka-lahul-khair

Wa alaikumus salam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh!

Arrival of a new animal

Recite:
اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ خَيْرَهَا وَخَيْرَ مَا جَبَلْتَهَا عَلَيْهِ وَأَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ شَرِّهَا وَشَّرَّ مَا جَبَلْتَهَا عَلَيْهِ
"O Allah, I seek the good in it from You and the goodness in the habit and character in it/her and seek refuge in You from its/her evil habits and character".

Note: Recite the above dua if buying a camel, recite while holding its hump. (Mishkat from Abu Dawood and Ibn Maja)

2 Likes

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Khaleell001(m): 11:51am On Nov 29, 2019
Eartquake1:
I need a ruling to shit please
Just go into your toilet and do you business. I hope that "ruling " suffices?
Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Khaleell001(m): 11:56am On Nov 29, 2019
MrsNwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Learning and understanding Islām is the main bases upon which faith is built upon.

You were just a nominal Muslim without really understanding what Islām is(if you were truly a Muslim as you claim).

Even you school have rules you abide by.
The government in every country whether developed, underdeveloped and developing has rules but when it comes to Islām which has less rules ,you people start shouting bring it down?

Just tell me what rules you find difficult and I will give you reasons why it is so Inshaa'a Allāh.

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Sterope(f): 11:56am On Nov 29, 2019
Show us evidence in the Qur'an that shows otherwise.

Rashduct4luv:

Show us the evidence that validates organising Qur'an recitation and feeding people who came to show condolence.
Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Khaleell001(m): 11:58am On Nov 29, 2019
Ola260:
I haven't seen any proof that rules against reading Quran in gathering on behalf of the deceased. Pls any help?

You have not read the Qur'aan enough.
The one who the Qur'ān was revealed to never performed such acts then, why you,a follower should start what he didn't do?
if it were good they could done it before you,but they didn't.
Islām is quite clear how we treat our dead.
Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Khaleell001(m): 11:59am On Nov 29, 2019
Eartquake1:

This Islam has one thing in common
They need our care and protection from ravening wolves like you kinda.
Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Khaleell001(m): 12:05pm On Nov 29, 2019
Sterope:
Show us evidence in the Qur'an that shows otherwise.

Stop sounding clever because you are not on this issue.
Any actions that is done as an act of worship should have an evidence either from the Qur'ān or sunnah.

Reading Qur'ān in unison in memory of a deceased loved one has no bases in the Shari'ah(Qur'ān and the prophetic tradition).

There is a rule in the Shari'ah which says: " he who asserts should bring a prove for his assertion"

You people who claim is allowed to do so, then show us where the prophet or even is companions whom the Qur'ān instruct us to follow performed such actions.
Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Sterope(f): 12:12pm On Nov 29, 2019
You didn't provide evidence that shows Quran recitation is wrong.

When you did your copy and paste, you forgot to also include the below. I don't often agree with them

Rashduct4luv:

Re: Ruling On Gathering To Eat, Offer Condolences And Recite Qur’aan Together... by Sterope(f): 12:32pm On Nov 29, 2019
It doesnt need to have basis in anything. Sometimes, it is a bit of common sense and humility that most of you lack when it comes to religion.

There is nothing about Quranic recitation on behalf of the dead that is scary. Recitation of the Quran is encouraged. Praying for the dead is good. Why should coming together to pray for a loved one be frowned upon? What specific part of it is against the spirit of Islam or any of the negative characters Islam frowns upon? Is it mandatory?

Khaleell001:

Stop sounding clever because you are not on this issue.
Any actions that is done as an act of worship should have an evidence either from the Qur'ān or sunnah.

Reading Qur'ān in unison in memory of a deceased loved one has no bases in the Shari'ah(Qur'ān and the prophetic tradition).

There is a rule in the Shari'ah which says: " he who asserts should bring a prove for his assertion"

You people who claim is allowed to do so, then show us where the prophet or even is companions whom the Qur'ān instruct us to follow performed such actions.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Baby With Allah On Its Forehead...God Is Great! / Share Your Fond Eid Memories / Banning The Veil Is Indeed Sinister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.