Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Yesteryears Life Without Phones - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Yesteryears Life Without Phones (4911 Views)

What Will Life Without A Smartphone Be Like For You In 2016? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by apoti(m): 5:05pm On Nov 22, 2010
those days were not funny at all,
to communicate with my girlfriend who was in Akure then, I had to send letters via post office, it will take like a month for it to get her. I would wait for another one month to get the reply. Most of the times, I would have forgotten what I wrote in my letter by d time I'm getting d reply.  grin
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by sirp2007: 5:05pm On Nov 22, 2010
cant forget NITEL call card, it`s like the atm card now, l also will nt 4getting d tapping pattern whn d phone is locked
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by IRAPADA(m): 5:09pm On Nov 22, 2010
Back in those days u wil ve to write letter to ur parent and waited for weeks b4 reply
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 22, 2010
I used to queue for my mum at one popular Nitel phone booth,everyone goes out in the morning and gather in the night.Nobody ask you for recharge cards,no flashing,you write love letters and send through a messanger of love,you have to tell your girlfriend before hand you will be coming to see her especially if her dad is a strict.mehn. . .now i carry 3 phones like madman.see how time flies.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Yorisb: 5:50pm On Nov 22, 2010
wale4x35:

I remember the agony of going from Ijesha, Surulere to Cow Lane on Lagos Island to see my then girlfriend.

Only to found out that she too had already left for Ijesha to see me. We missed each other.  grin grin grin grin

LWKMD4H grin grin grin grin
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by nadneth: 5:59pm On Nov 22, 2010
Remember waiting in a long queue to make a call using NITEL booth. When it finally got to my turn, the owner of the phone with which i used to reach my brother asked me to hold on for him (my bro was staying 3 blocks from the phone owner at the time). If i drop, it'll take another 2hrs before it gets to my turn going by the number of peeps waiting for their turn. I held on for more than 15 mins waiting for my bro only for the credit units in my call card to finish immediately my bros came on the line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by aikokoro: 6:01pm On Nov 22, 2010
making int'l calls was a serious project dat required days or even wks of planning! it wasn't funny at all! lipsrsealed
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by kayc33(m): 6:38pm On Nov 22, 2010
aikokoro:

making int'l calls was a serious project dat required days or even wks of planning! it wasn't funny at all! lipsrsealed
i dey tell u cheesy
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Abayomin70(m): 7:07pm On Nov 22, 2010
men is very dificult thanks to obasanjo and so many people always says he did nofin
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by HolyMikel(m): 7:13pm On Nov 22, 2010
writing letters and posting through NIPOST but may not be delivered on time or at all.

sometimes i will travel home after six months only for my parents to receive my letter the week after. my letter became useless
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 22, 2010
it wasnt easy. when i wanted to post letters then schooling in Ibadan i travel a long distance from Molete to dugbe to GPO
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by chukxy44(m): 7:28pm On Nov 22, 2010
How would i forget our dear neighbour would almost jump is gate every night just to get the phone accrose to us in other to receive our dear Int' call, In fact phone as we know it was only for Int call or calls from Rich family members and yet na our neigbour phone but today even the our last born they use Two Camare phone haba na so life be.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by enyhss(m): 7:57pm On Nov 22, 2010
I remember those days when I would have to commute from Gbagada to Lagos Island to make International calls, just to speak to my parents. Used to be #20.00 per minute back then, & I'll have to do all I could to rush back to Gbagada to Inform my friend down the street to prevail on his parent to let me receive call at their house. Of course they were the only one with "'the mighty house phone"' in the neighborhood. The only problem is that the call might come too early before I get there or much after I might have left their house.

Well, It's all good.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Ibime(m): 8:02pm On Nov 22, 2010
Things were better that time jare.

I used to enter bus from Elelenwo to Borokiri to see friends wihout even knowing whether they would be home or not.

And guess what, they were always home. grin grin grin
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by marcus1234: 8:17pm On Nov 22, 2010
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by daroz(m): 8:18pm On Nov 22, 2010
I remember then when me and my siblings will go and cue in the house one of my church members, 3street from ours, whenever we are expecting phone call from my sister in london. sometimes the line will become too busy for her call to go through. We will wait and wait till we get fustrated and go home.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by lekside44(m): 8:19pm On Nov 22, 2010
i still live without one ;d
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by dayokanu(m): 8:28pm On Nov 22, 2010
We had town criers
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by sammytb(m): 8:45pm On Nov 22, 2010
Wow, Tank God 4 obj, Then it was like a 40 year journey instead of a 40 days journey,
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Nobody: 8:51pm On Nov 22, 2010
^^ it didnt matter who was sitting president, we wud hav had phones still

but that tapping is still very mysterious to me. i was a snr telephone tapper back in d day
Ibime:

Things were better that time jare.

I used to enter bus from Elelenwo to Borokiri to see friends wihout even knowing whether they would be home or not.

And guess what, they were always home. grin grin grin
lol true true true,
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Intrepid1(m): 9:02pm On Nov 22, 2010
Heard you could boost the amount of units on the Nitel call cards if you kept it in the freezer for a while, Tried it and it worked once sha, Or twice, Or thrice, Or, Lining up at the few available phone booths to make calls was a nightmare. It was especially annoying when some females would commandeer the phone and gossip loudly with their friends while you steamed inside as you waited to call your brother abroad to send you some money!
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Intrepid1(m): 9:03pm On Nov 22, 2010
Heard you could boost the amount of units on the Nitel call cards if you kept it in the freezer for a while, Tried it and it worked once sha, Or twice, Or thrice, Or, Lining up at the few available phone booths to make calls was a nightmare. It was especially annoying when some females would commandeer the phone and gossip loudly with their friends while you steamed inside as you waited to call your brother abroad to send you some money!
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by armyofone(m): 9:05pm On Nov 22, 2010
one unfortunate thing abt the niaja phone system is one can never leave a message. who invented the one used in nigeria sef?
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by MaiSuya(m): 10:28pm On Nov 22, 2010
Intrepid!:

Heard you could boost the amount of units on the Nitel call cards if you kept it in the freezer for a while,  Tried it and it worked once sha,  Or twice,  Or thrice,  Or,  Lining up at the few available phone booths to make calls was a nightmare. It was especially annoying when some females would commandeer the phone and gossip loudly with their friends while you steamed inside as you waited to call your brother abroad to send you some money!

you gotta be kidding me!  grin
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by mrofficial(m): 10:36pm On Nov 22, 2010
Nothing! I got given birth to @ the right time. grin grin
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Ifedisky(m): 10:38pm On Nov 22, 2010
You can imagine where only Nitel Iponri and CMs were the nearest Nitel booths with IDD. Making it there from Aguda and then not succeeding in calling cos of no dialling tone was no fun. You'd make good friends and lose all cos communicating was chaotic. One Nitel guy eventually sold a one-way cloned analogue cell phone to me. I made free calls but the snag's you have to take it to the Bar Beach to get service, and each time the clone breaks service, which is almost always, you'd have to pay the guyman additional lolly for re-cloning! That guy chop me maga die!
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by soloqy: 10:40pm On Nov 22, 2010
Imanuelle:

how we used to have two whole families in our sitting room at about 2.a.m waiting for their son's international call from abroad, and how my dad used to lock the landline with a little padlock to disable us from making calls grin grin grin grin grin

This here takes the cake in all of this lol  grin grin grin

And if you happened to be the family that had to go wait for an international call at ungodly hours in your neighbor's, you would all be indebted to that neighbor for good
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by jambya(m): 11:09pm On Nov 22, 2010
It reminds of the day my boss threaten to sack me, if he should ever see me using his nitel landline again. na wa ooo, esha lobadee now o!
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Nobody: 1:17am On Nov 23, 2010
lol@ topic. It's because we are spoiled. Everything we want or need is ready in once minute. Our natural ability to adapt and survive lessens with each new invention.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by Ficco(m): 1:45am On Nov 23, 2010
I remembered whn I enter 2 buses from my school to queue at NITEL office owerri, just to call by parents through a friends table phone in lagos. Men, life was difficult without phone, thank God for technology.
Re: Yesteryears Life Without Phones by McCoy91(m): 2:05am On Nov 23, 2010
only disadvantage is the dearth of love letters cry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Download Music On 2go In Nigeria. / Glo Launches 3-in-1 Recharge Option / Where To Get Battery For Sony Ericsson Yari U100i

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.