Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,169 members, 7,821,962 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients (36467 Views)

Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals / COVID-19 Vaccines Side Effects: Lagos Residents Share Their Experiences / Harassment From Male Doctors: Female Nurses/doctors, Share Your Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Sultan5(m): 2:16am On Nov 29, 2019
maestroferddi:
I will not waste my time trying to disabuse your mind from crass ignorance.

Your assertions are fully of sundry illogicalities:Best students go to medical school, according to you.

So the so-called Best students should be above censure.

Nigerian engineers are falling behind in meeting with the needs of manufacturing equipment for Nigerian healthcare system, therefore doctors are at liberty to do as they like.

At least a portion of the road that carried you to work today was constructed by Nigerian engineers.

Despite your puny whimperings, I am sure Nigerian engineering has affected/touched several facets of your life today much more than you know or care to admit.

Get off the high horse and you will be better for it.

You guys should come down to earth. It is about time...

You are just all over the place. When you were on your high horse bashing hardworking doctors, you didn't know to come down to earth. Now when someone is doing the same to your profession you are telling them to come down.

How will you even mention road in the 1st place. Thank God you said portion of the road. Because the one I pass everyday is almost completely gone at one spot. Imagine transporting a gunshot victim through that road.

Christian or not theres this quote from the Bible that applies here. It admonishes people like you to 1st remove the log of wood from your eyes before even attempting to remove the speck in your neighbours eyes.

Medical profession would be so much more fulfilling and even cheaper if Nigerian engineers are doing their work. What's stopping you guys from making medical equipments? Why is it so difficult to provide hospitals with 24hr power supply? Why are the roads so bad that patients die before getting to hospitals? If only you know the number of people that bad roads have killed or permanently paralysed. Heck why can't you produce competent ambulances? I mean even thermometer is a big challenge to Nigerian engineers.

Its so bad that even hospital beds are imported. When we have how many million engineers in this country. WHAT ARE THEY DOING? Obviously they are online bashing doctors.

Look at the infrastructure of government hospitals, so poorly planned. With different buildings far apart. Why didn't nigerian engineers think like their western counterparts to fully house a hospital in one building. A doctor who has like 10 patients he is monitoring will be walking upandan the hospital because they are all housed in different buildings. Such poor conditions.

Before you start bashing next time, look at your self, look at your profession and think very deeply on how you failed these people. On how you killed people who would have survived or completely paralysed them just because you refuse to do a standard job when making roads. Think about lives that has been lost just because you couldn't provide power supply to hospitals. Think about how affordable health care would be if you guys produce hospital equipment.

Lets be guided please!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Godmademan(m): 6:20am On Nov 29, 2019
Squillaci:

Hahaha. Even linguist do research.
I am talking about real research. Like the people that come up with the drugs. Or the neuroscientists that help shape the field of psychiatry.
I don't mean research like "effect of olazanpine on bdnf levels".
Scientist my arse.
JAMB do you something she. How many attempts before you got 200. I challenge you to put in for medicine just for the fun of it. Bet you will scream ’I am not doing again after the first three years’. I only take criticisms from people who have gone through the training and know what it entails. You think it's one of those were you just fool around and cram up stuff few weeks to exam? This is real sh*t. You can only experience it to understand it.

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by shadeyinka(m): 7:13am On Nov 29, 2019
philip0906:
Nonsense!

Nigerian doctors are an incompetent lot. Outside the country, they excel because they have no options than to perform. But here in Nigeria, they think they're demi gods because they spent 7 years at the uni.

Sadly, they cause thousands of deaths yearly due to their incompetency and lackluster attitude.
Have you ever thought if they work by improvisation due to absence of required equipment?

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 29, 2019
SmartyPants:
Medical insurance will solve all this.
medical insurance is another scam.

If you know how many HMOs owe hospitals ehn, you will weep

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by TONYE001(m): 8:12am On Nov 29, 2019
Squillaci:

Hahaha. Even linguist do research.
I am talking about real research. Like the people that come up with the drugs. Or the neuroscientists that help shape the field of psychiatry.
I don't mean research like "effect of olazanpine on bdnf levels".
Scientist my arse.

It is sad when people speak out of ignorance. What do you call "real research"? Oh, you are now insinuating that doctors don't do research.

Really? So, what do you call the life-saving research works carried out by doctors that helped refine health care delivery that you now enjoy? In your thinking, "coming up with drugs" is a yardstick in defining what a research should be? You mentioned neuroscientists. Lolz. Really?

Truth is, until this thread, I never really knew the level of hatred people have for doctors. Most times, I argue with my colleagues that such hatred does not really exist; I've taken my time to read through the posts here and maybe there really is a certain degree of hatred from nonmedics.

What have we not seen here? Now someone comes out boldly to say doctors don't do "real research.." Haba.

See friends, Nigerian doctors do a whole lot. A whooooole lot. People don't really know. People are just ungrateful. After reading about the numerous experiences of doctors, you still came up with this? Doctors work overtime with no extra pay, they work in very harsh conditions, they improvise, they use their resources, their lives are at risk (remember Ebola), they work with passion and love. They put the patient first before their wives, children, friends et al., I haven't seen my wife and kids for over three months!....and you still managed to come up with this....why? Because of a few bad eggs?

Do you imply that there are no bad eggs in your profession? What's your profession, brother?

This whole thing is depressing.

5 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 29, 2019
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Ajibade123(m): 9:35am On Nov 29, 2019
Doctors are really trying sha

anyway do you want to be in the medical field??see careers in medicine you might want to considered
https://explicitsuccess.com/types-of-careers-in-medicine/
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by CSTR2: 9:43am On Nov 29, 2019
There are many equipments lacking that hospitals can get and should get.

But hospitals will only buy it if they are sure it will pay for itself.

Nigerian patients are being Penny wise, Pound foolish.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by SmartyPants(m): 9:45am On Nov 29, 2019
funmisticqueen:
medical insurance is another scam.

If you know how many HMOs owe hospitals ehn, you will weep

That's what Courts are there for though. By the time one or two hospitals sue and recover with interest the others will sit up.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by cookiejar99(f): 9:50am On Nov 29, 2019
I dont blame you sha...i worked in a hospital for two years and i know patients and thier relatives can be...they wud start crying crocodile tears..but the services aint free..while most of them abscound...but i live for people like you...my heart strong die...you go pay all the money..if u like do face like say u see ghost...thats your personal headache...nigerians n entitlement mentality...you re there making rotten noise...fowl mouthed human...i dont have sympathy for any of you...if you no get money...sitdown for your house..cos nigerians are a selfish Lot
philip0906:

Complete bullocks!

You people think it is everybody in Nigeria that is poor. Some of us can pay for quality healthcare, some of us have comprehensive healthcare packages from our work place...but you know what, we'll pass on that.

The news is littered daily with gross incompetence from Nigerian doctors who have either misdiagnosed or applied wrong treatment regimen in patients leading to deaths and all. Thousands of Nigerians loose their lives yearly to doctors gross incompetence.

The Nigerian doctor is an empty nut head who is more interested in the prestige his Dr tittle accords him/her than getting the job done the right way.

You think your president, lawmakers and wealthy Nigerians who go outside the country for proper healthcare are silly? I won't even go near Nigerian doctors for a simple diagnosis... Incompetent lots
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 29, 2019
dominique:
This is not even up to a tenth of what doctors go through in the hands of patients yet these patients are quick to rush to social media to paint colourful stories about how terrible Nigerian doctors are. They will say doctors should treat before collecting payment, do the doctors get their hospital supplies on credit? Don't they have bills and salaries to pay? Dont they have lives so live or will a doctor go to market with "I'll come back later to pay" in his pocket? My dad's late doctor cousin died in poverty because of his good nature of letting patients go without completing payment, some don't even pay at all. Soon word got out on the street about the nice doctor who treats before collecting payment and in most cases he discharges them after small begging, trust our Nigerian people to take advantage of it. In the end, his clinic suffered for it. Staff quit their jobs after they were owed countless salaries, the clinic eventually shut down. He slumped and died not too long after.

I will never blame any hospital for insisting on payment before treatment especially the private ones. Nigerians are experts at ruining people's businesses with debts.

good morning
help please

spambot is defending bobrisky cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/5554961/bobrisky-didnt-surgery-nigerian-lady#84464530
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 29, 2019
SmartyPants:

That's what Courts are there for though. By the time one or two hospitals sue and recover with interest the others will sit up.

it doesnt work like that.
remember that a lot of clinics are much smaller than hmos and do not have the resources fro drawn out battles
also, no one wants to rock the boat too much, before ou get a rep in teh industry as a difficult partner
the HMOs also have their preferred partners and will push clients in that direction
your best bet for any HMO that has a hospital of their own is their hospital
red care - reddington ; hygeia- Lagoon, etc

years ago, my old employer was using expat care. the complaints from staff were out of this world. some people had bills running into half a million. issues that it took exective intervention to resolve.i had no issues for one reason only. i was using rodin medical center, a great hospital that i believe was directly affiliated with them. so i never had any issues. walk into some other hospitals - there is a sign on the wall - expat care patients will not be attended to. right now, i am porting to axa mansard
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by anselm791(m): 11:18am On Nov 29, 2019
TONYE001:

It is sad when people speak out of ignorance. What do you call "real research"? Oh, you are now insinuating that doctors don't do research.

Really? So, what do you call the life-saving research works carried out by doctors that helped refine health care delivery that you now enjoy? In your thinking, "coming up with drugs" is a yardstick in defining what a research should be? You mentioned neuroscientists. Lolz. Really?

Truth is, until this thread, I never really knew the level of hatred people have for doctors. Most times, I argue with my colleagues that such hatred does not really exist; I've taken my time to read through the posts here and maybe there really is a certain degree of hatred from nonmedics.

What have we not seen here? Now someone comes out boldly to say doctors don't do "real research.." Haba.

See friends, Nigerian doctors do a whole lot. A whooooole lot. People don't really know. People are just ungrateful. After reading about the numerous experiences of doctors, you still came up with this? Doctors work overtime with no extra pay, they work in very harsh conditions, they improvise, they use their resources, their lives are at risk (remember Ebola), they work with passion and love. They put the patient first before their wives, children, friends et al., I haven't seen my wife and kids for over three months!....and you still managed to come up with this....why? Because of a few bad eggs?

Do you imply that there are no bad eggs in your profession? What's your profession, brother?

my God! 3 whole months?
my brother Bleep the patients! they won't do the same in you shoes, I know I certainly won't.
family first!
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by anselm791(m): 11:22am On Nov 29, 2019
SmartyPants:

are you even in Nigeria?
you don't know the court is only second useless to the engineers?
hang in there, we are bashing the lawyers next, then you'd prolly understand why Sowere is still in detention even after perfecting bail conditions.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by drnoel: 11:25am On Nov 29, 2019
ultron12345:
Recently, Nigerians have been sharing their experiences with Nigerian health professionals especially doctors. Doctors have in turn, decided to share their experiences at the hands of Nigerian patients.

Lol, it's about time. I am dancing here....
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by drnoel: 11:34am On Nov 29, 2019
drlaykay:
grin
I don't even have energy to type. But the new one I noticed about Nigerians is that why they come in as an emergency, they are very loyal. As soon as they get better, Chai, you start seeing razor blade mouth and funny attitudes...

Especially island patients. They talk down on their doctora under the guise that they are sophisticated and they know their rights.

I laughed bitterly when one told me " Doctor, you need to do whatever thing I want, no matter how silly it is because I am paying my bills".
After the whole event, attending to her husband, I had to call her that " madam, see don't ever tell someone you entrust the life of your loved one on, that you are paying. Yes, you are paying, but this is not a kind of bread and butter trade, this is life". She had to apologize.
Working in a big hospital and meeting big people is cool but this people are too saucy.

I had to call a friend working in the UK and ask if this oyinbo people are rude to their doctors and he said they are very respectful.
So where did they get their own madness from?

Trust Nigerians to be very respectfully when they arrive here for treatment. They only do that shit in Nigeria.
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Zinny25(f): 12:01pm On Nov 29, 2019
I used to think Nigerian doctors are rich oo until one started asking me for 5k, after my mum was discharged from the hospital.

Since then, I hear say u be doctor, I know say nothing come out
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by drnoel: 12:17pm On Nov 29, 2019
obidr:

Do not mind that idiot with profound psychiatric issues. He should check the pass rate of Nigerian doctors when they attempt PLAB, USMLE, MCCE. He should check the numbers of Nigerian doctors holding the health system in T & T. The idiot felt I was practising in Nigeria to find a way to continue to deride doctors, not recognising that there is a massive brain drain in Nigeria and why we doctors in diaspora are still concerned is because we have relatives still in Nigeria but the certified imp will not direct his anger to the appropriate channel because he already has esteem issues. Women should be beware of his kind.

Still there are better ways to handle that issue. Forget the insults and educate him. Cheers
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by chayoski: 2:23pm On Nov 29, 2019
TONYE001:

You shouldn't for once feel depressed over these comments. Even if you do, just remind yourself that there are a lot of humans who just come online to type jargons. Some have lost their loved one(s) to death due to some lousy acts by health care workers, so they choose to hold on to sentiments and unleash their bitterness at every opportunity. While others are actually just catching fun by being hateful. A lot has been said on this thread and my summary is, there actually are bad doctors, not talking about them not even knowing their job, but their really poor attitude, likewise there are good doctors. This profession and others are made up of humans. So they are either good or bad. To those who have deceased folks out of the carelessness of doctors, be comforted but please do not generalise. Personally, I have only heard and have never encountered a bad doc, all have been really amazing as against what I hear about them. Doctors reading this, you should be proud seeing all of these criticisms, it shows how relevant you are. Just keep doing your best but abeg it takes you to be alive to "save" lives, so learn to take care of yourselves.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by SmartyPants(m): 3:02pm On Nov 29, 2019
anselm791:

are you even in Nigeria?
you don't know the court is only second useless to the engineers?
hang in there, we are bashing the lawyers next, then you'd prolly understand why Sowere is still in detention even after perfecting bail conditions.

Let's not exaggerate issues. The Courts have delivered many landmark judgements with effect even if we know there are certain areas that are difficult. Your contention should be to fix the damaged areas and not totally abandon the system just because it is not very good today.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Pataricatering(f): 3:15pm On Nov 29, 2019
Ask these same people what they will do if their employer owes them salary ? Devi it’s just money ?
sholay2011:

Well said.

One of the problems we have in Nigeria is sentimentality. We can't just be contractual on some issues with both parties fulfilling their obligations. As touching as it sounds that patients should not be "left to die" because they "simply don't have money", doctors should also not be left to suffer and cough up bills that patients should be responsible for (when there is no health insurance in place). No service is for free but my naija people will get emotional. How will a private hospital keep running if every patient rushed in 'with no money' is let go without paying their bills?

God help us.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by anselm791(m): 3:21pm On Nov 29, 2019
chayoski:

You shouldn't for once feel depressed over these comments. Even if you do, just remind yourself that there are a lot of humans who just come online to type jargons. Some have lost their loved one(s) to death due to some lousy acts by health care workers, so they choose to hold on to sentiments and unleash their bitterness at every opportunity. While others are actually just catching fun by being hateful. A lot has been said on this thread and my summary is, there actually are bad doctors, not talking about them not even knowing their job, but their really poor attitude, likewise there are good doctors. This profession and others are made up of humans. So they are either good or bad. To those who have deceased folks out of the carelessness of doctors, be comforted but please do not generalise. Personally, I have only heard and have never encountered a bad doc, all have been really amazing as against what I hear about them. Doctors reading this, you should be proud seeing all of these criticisms, it shows how relevant you are. Just keep doing your best but abeg it takes you to be alive to "save" lives, so learn to take care of yourselves.

this pretty much sums it all. Maybe not all Nigerians are useless after all.
please leave the country as soon as you can before we corrupt you.
now can we get to the lawyers already?

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by anselm791(m): 3:27pm On Nov 29, 2019
SmartyPants:

Let's not exaggerate issues. The Courts have delivered many landmark judgements with effect even if we know there are certain areas that are difficult. Your contention should be to fix the damaged areas and not totally abandon the system just because it is not very good today.

oh my balls, another reasonable human being.
I'm beginning to think the first sets of people in every thread are the useless ones, I will start reading from the back.
if we can only change the 'court' in that statement to 'hospital' and 'judge' to 'doctors', maybe some of our senseless brothers may understand better.
With this I think I may have to delete the thread I already started bashing lawyers cause the point has clearly be made.
you lawyers sha know how to close case sha.
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by anselm791(m): 3:30pm On Nov 29, 2019
Zinny25:
I used to think Nigerian doctors are rich oo until one started asking me for 5k, after my mum was discharged from the hospital.

Since then, I hear say u be doctor, I know say nothing come out

Nne stop digging for gold from doctors, give them instead. That's the whole point of the damn thread.
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by anselm791(m): 3:33pm On Nov 29, 2019
drnoel:

Trust Nigerians to be very respectfully when they arrive here for treatment. They only do that shit in Nigeria.

the money spent alone suppose humble us na.
which is why I'm against my fellow paupers who can't afford good medicare abroad from insulting the care we do have here.
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by drnoel: 5:55pm On Nov 29, 2019
anselm791:

oh my balls, another reasonable human being.
I'm beginning to think the first sets of people in every thread are the useless ones, I will start reading from the back.
if we can only change the 'court' in that statement to 'hospital' and 'judge' to 'doctors', maybe some of our senseless brothers may understand better.
With this I think I may have to delete the thread I already started bashing lawyers cause the point has clearly be made.
you lawyers sha know how to close case sha.

Lol, bros don't forget lawyer are the people that prosecute. No vex dem ooh
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by AmNuhRegular(m): 6:10pm On Nov 29, 2019
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by ewawumi(f): 7:50pm On Nov 29, 2019
With no bias towards any party, and as a medical practitioner, I can boldly say the issue being discussed cannot be blamed on doctors or patients or their relatives. I will fault about 75% of the blame on the environment and society we have found ourselves in.
At the same time, the attitude and manners of the average Nigerian patient can make you grow hard shells and strict measures to match up with them.
It's only a Nigerian patient who will manufacture pitiful and breathtaking stories just to gain your sympathy; once you figure out a way to help them, they sit in your reception and order Chairman XL Domino's pizza, then come back to your office (after attending to them and fixing next appointment) to beg for 500 to transport them home. ( this happened live at a federal government hospital).
On another note, when patients pay for services, you have not materials to deliver their needs for weeks or months while the patients frustrate your life and that of your unborn generations. When they finally supply the materials nko, it's either not enough or substandard when compared to what is obtainable in Private Practices.
Tools? None provided. ( all the tools I practice with today, I bought them with my money, even as a Clinical student who wasn't earning a dime).
Equipment? You have to choose between improvisation and frustration.
Now, amidst all these, imagine using your salary to cover medical bills for some cunning patients with like relations?
By the way, I am a Certified Clinical Prosthetist/Orthotist.

Biko, don't try to come after me cos you won't like the outcome

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by ewawumi(f): 7:59pm On Nov 29, 2019
Wait until Basic Anatomy finger your brain!
Squillaci:

Shhh. A course based on biology and chemistry us not difficult at all. Maybe tedious.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by lebete3000: 11:59pm On Nov 29, 2019
orion7:
a police man brought his son to the clinic. my reg dealt with him eh. he was looking for me(the consultant in charge)

he nor know say na me worst pass. grin

I present cephalic sir...
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by alphaNomega: 8:35am On Nov 30, 2019
SmartyPants:

Nigerian courts? lol

Let's wait for the lawyer bashing thread please.
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by DedeNkem: 4:45pm On Nov 30, 2019
A rich guy I know, rushed his wife to the hospital for an emergency medical condition. They bluntly refused to attend to her because the guy didn't have cash on him to deposit.

The guy begged them to treat his wife while he goes to find an ATM to collect money. They still refused. He had to leave his wife alone laying there, to find an ATM.

When he returned with cash it was already too late. His wife was dead. They tried to resuscitate her but the effort was useless.

As the heartbroken husband tried to take his wife's corpse away, the useless hospital demanded he pay ₦150k. The guy dared them to stop him. He left with the corpse without any resistance.

Nigerian hospitals are death traps, some are filled with incompetent doctors and nurses.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Indian Manufacturers Rename Tramadol To Evade Detection By Nigerian Customs—repo / Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder / Photos: Malnourished Child Brutally Tortured, Abused And Left Lying On The Stree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.