Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,301 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients (36367 Views)

Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals / COVID-19 Vaccines Side Effects: Lagos Residents Share Their Experiences / Harassment From Male Doctors: Female Nurses/doctors, Share Your Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by ultron12345: 10:46am On Nov 28, 2019
Recently, Nigerians have been sharing their experiences with Nigerian health professionals especially doctors. Doctors have in turn, decided to share their experiences at the hands of Nigerian patients.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by ultron12345: 10:48am On Nov 28, 2019
More

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by ultron12345: 10:51am On Nov 28, 2019
More here

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by ultron12345: 10:55am On Nov 28, 2019

1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by ultron12345: 11:01am On Nov 28, 2019
Continues

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by daddytime(m): 11:06am On Nov 28, 2019
Hmmm

Not fair on the doctors at all.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by enoch273: 5:29pm On Nov 28, 2019
Patient too go chop na, though it's not easy being a doctor, still I can't lose focus on these fantastic discounts from ShopRite
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by tstx(m): 5:29pm On Nov 28, 2019

Truth be told... Poor Nigerians are terrible people, very very terrible people

176 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by eleojo23: 5:29pm On Nov 28, 2019
These stories are real 'cos I've seen them happen.

Doctors are also humans.

After a doctor struggles to stabilise a dying patient, when it's time to pay, the relatives will come and say "what did you even do? is it not just drip that you gave her?"

Like seriously? Wetin doctors no go see for ward? Chai....! sad

151 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by LordAzubuike(f): 5:30pm On Nov 28, 2019
Nigerian Doctors - Patient have more pathetic stories than Patient- Nigerian doctors

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Nobody: 5:31pm On Nov 28, 2019
angry

Nigerians have this belief that doctors are stupendously rich and so they do all they can to take a slice of their assumed wealth.

84 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Nobody: 5:31pm On Nov 28, 2019
Kai
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by nuhu2018(m): 5:32pm On Nov 28, 2019
even musa have his own story to tell

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Pidginwhisper: 5:32pm On Nov 28, 2019
grin

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by NaijadrivaCars: 5:32pm On Nov 28, 2019
Let that one that stole a Nairalander's babe say something.

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by pocohantas(f): 5:32pm On Nov 28, 2019
Seems the major offence of patients is to abscond without making payments.

Nigerians are very hard on doctors. Yes, there are bad eggs, but a lot of them are trying their best. It isn't easy to be overworked, poorly paid and making do with obsolete facilities.

Wetin be this abeg? shocked

48 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Dexpro: 5:32pm On Nov 28, 2019
Nigerian doctors are the best on planet earth.

5 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 28, 2019
Chai, it's not funny but just a little bit. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by orion7: 5:34pm On Nov 28, 2019
a police man brought his son to the clinic. my reg dealt with him eh. he was looking for me(the consultant in charge)

he nor know say na me worst pass. grin

15 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by SmartyPants(m): 5:34pm On Nov 28, 2019
Medical insurance will solve all this.

14 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by LabDNA: 5:34pm On Nov 28, 2019
Personal experience.

Patient was brought to our diagnostic centre for scan and labs.

Abdomino-Pelvic scan was requested as the prov. diag was ?incomplete abortion, patient was in pains but the mama say no money. Who go come pay? She promised to pay later.

The little girl was writhing in pains and almost lying on the floor, chai wetin I go do make this girl no come die here? My emotions allowed me to overrule due process. Tests were carried out, they promised heaven and earth that they were going to come back with the money immediately the physician has seen the scan result. They took the scan and left the other results with us without paying a dime.

It's been 2 years now, that money done go. They know our numbers so they don't even pick calls. There were many cases like that especially when we started out newly but over the years I've hardened my heart because of the bitter taste it leaves in the mouth.

We collect at least 2/3 of our money before registration & venepuncture, and the balance when you come for result.

No be we kill Jesus.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by drlaykay(m): 5:34pm On Nov 28, 2019
grin
I don't even have energy to type. But the new one I noticed about Nigerians is that why they come in as an emergency, they are very loyal. As soon as they get better, Chai, you start seeing razor blade mouth and funny attitudes...

Especially island patients. They talk down on their doctora under the guise that they are sophisticated and they know their rights.

I laughed bitterly when one told me " Doctor, you need to do whatever thing I want, no matter how silly it is because I am paying my bills".
After the whole event, attending to her husband, I had to call her that " madam, see don't ever tell someone you entrust the life of your loved one on, that you are paying. Yes, you are paying, but this is not a kind of bread and butter trade, this is life". She had to apologize.
Working in a big hospital and meeting big people is cool but this people are too saucy.

I had to call a friend working in the UK and ask if this oyinbo people are rude to their doctors and he said they are very respectful.
So where did they get their own madness from?

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by philip0906(m): 5:34pm On Nov 28, 2019
Nonsense!

Nigerian doctors are an incompetent lot. Outside the country, they excel because they have no options than to perform. But here in Nigeria, they think they're demi gods because they spent 7 years at the uni.

Sadly, they cause thousands of deaths yearly due to their incompetency and lackluster attitude.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by neweraomo: 5:36pm On Nov 28, 2019
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Nobody: 5:36pm On Nov 28, 2019
I think it's just a matter of our peculiarities as Nigerians and the environment we find ourselves. Everyone is frustrated.
I dont think there is any doctor who would be happy to see his patient deteriorate or wouldn't be happy to be able to diagnosis and treat his patient.

While I practiced in naija, I came across a range of patients and you must really have passion for the job else you would get frustrated and take it out on the patients.
Apart from our poor health awareness, Nigerians generally are wont to bargain for everything, thinking that they can negotiate their way to reduced cost of treatment. It takes you as a good doctor to be able to convince them about the appropriateness of the test or treatment. Many times I have had to do this, more often than not I get success.

Contrast that to working in the UK where healthcare is largely free and there is more health awareness. I find more happiness as a doctor because things are done at the right time and you have all the resources to make an appropriate diagnosis and effective treatment.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by shege45: 5:36pm On Nov 28, 2019
When i see people complain that doctors didn’t attend to them before payment especially in private hospitals, i laugh. Private hospitals don’t get funding from anywhere. How would they be there if patients don’t pay. I urge every private hospital to have a pos or a provision for transfer in case of emergency. So people won’t say they don’t av cash on them.

But if a government hospital do this, call them wicked. Because I don’t know why people pay taxes if not for situations like this.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 28, 2019
A country with no medical aid for its citizens that are not under NHIS.

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bala Mohammed Authorises The Use Of Chloroquine For Treatment Of Coronavirus / Young Lady To Be Buried On Her Birthday After Tragic Fire Mishap.Graphic Photos / My Experience As An Egg Donor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.