Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,527 members, 7,819,895 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! (2973 Views)

Lagos Banker Reveals Gov Emmanuel Udom Threatened Her Life Over Financial Fraud / How Lagos Spent N160 Bn World Bank Loan – Fashola / How Lagos Broke Its Own Laws On Deportation - Femi Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by wales(m): 6:32am On Nov 24, 2010
The Nigeria Police Force on Monday told a Lagos High Court that a former Relationship Manager with First Bank Nigeria Plc., Mr. Modebayo Awosika, was shot dead by a policeman.

But the police said Awosika’s alleged killer, Benjamin Oyeje, was yet to be apprehended.

At the resumed trial of a second policeman, David Akpaka, who was charged with the murder, the Investigating Police Officer, Inspector Matthew Nnadi, told the court that his investigation revealed that Oyeje fired the shot that killed Awosika.

He, however, told Justice Iyabo Kasali that the closest the police came to arresting him was the discovery that he made withdrawals from an Automatic Teller Machine in Sokoto State.

The police had declared Akpaka and Oyeje wanted and had charged them with Awosika’s murder.

According to the charge sheet, “David Akpaka and one Benjamin Oyeje (now at large), on or about the October 1, 2008 around Lekki First Roundabout, Lekki, in the Lagos Judicial Division, murdered one Modebayo Awosika.”

A coroner, Paul Ojo, had declared after an inquest that the ‘defenceless’ banker was shot dead by a police officer in a homicidal shooting.

Nnadi said Awosika’s killing was not an accident.

“I told my officer commander that this was a case of murder. I received a call from my boss that I should proceed to Lion Building for a case of the murder of one Modebayo Awosika which occurred at Lekki Roundabout, Maroko.

“We went to Maroko Traffic Division where one Sgt. Augustine and one DSP Omoru, the Incident Duty Officer, were interviewed.

“They led us to Lekki roundabout where the officers showed us Awosika’s burnt Kia Ultima saloon car, with registration no. -529-AAA. They also showed us the position of the police patrol vehicle.

“They showed us the position of the defendant (Akpaka) who was an armed guard, and the position of Benjamin Oyeje, the second armed guard. He is now at large. We recovered four AK47 rifles from the team.

“The deceased was said to have hit a police patrol vehicle when he was travelling from Lagos to Ajah. Having hit the said vehicle, the deceased continued (driving). The defendant, who was the first armed guard, fired a shot. The second armed guard fired at the same vehicle, which eventually veered off the road and fell into a gutter inward Lagos.”

The witness said he visited the Military Hospital, Ikoyi where he was allowed to inspect the banker’s corpse. He said during the examination of the corpse, he “discovered that the deceased had a hole in his forehead. I saw an entrance wound on the forehead and an exit wound from the back.”

He added, “There was no bullet hole in Awosika’s burnt vehicle though the fire had destroyed the front and back windscreens. There were no bullet holes seen in the rim of the tyres.

“Several efforts I made to see Oyeje proved abortive. He was said to have fled after the incident. I wrote the MSS, in charge of police salary, to stop his salary.

“His account number was given to us. We discovered in his statement of account that he used his ATM card to withdraw money in Sokoto State. At the end of my investigation, I concluded that Oyeje must have fired the shot that caused the death of the deceased.”

Nnadi said six men were on duty on the night of the incident. He said after the killing, Oyeje abandoned his rifle and fled.

Justice Kasali adjourned the case till February 2, 2011.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2010112415521390
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by wales(m): 6:32am On Nov 24, 2010
Awosika should have stopped when he hit the police car. Too many “enlightened” Nigerians do things that are not so smart. You wont hit a police car in the UK or US and wont stop. The Police man must be brought for trial. All other officers at the scene should me charged with conspiracy to murder.
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 24, 2010
Its a sorry situation. Shooting at a defenceless man
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by dplordx(m): 8:50am On Nov 24, 2010
wales:

Awosika should have stopped when he hit the police car. Too many “enlightened” Nigerians do things that are not so smart. You wont hit a police car in the UK or US and wont stop. The Police man must be brought for trial. All other officers at the scene should me charged with conspiracy to murder.

You are so foolish. They shot the guy in the front of his head. Not the back! Meaning: he was already packed before he got killed. You dont shot the person you are chasing from the front. NPF probably knew the banker had some $$$ on him and killed him. The President should look into all this lawless killings by the NPF.

And Judge Wale, why are the officers on the run?

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by Kilode1: 8:58am On Nov 24, 2010
wales:

The witness said he visited the Military Hospital, Ikoyi where he was allowed to inspect the banker’s corpse. He said during the examination of the corpse, he “discovered that the deceased had a hole in his forehead. I saw an entrance wound on the forehead and an exit wound from the back.”

He added, “There was no bullet hole in Awosika’s burnt vehicle though the fire had destroyed the front and back windscreens. There were no bullet holes seen in the rim of the tyres.

So They've not found those who killed Modebayo Awosika?

@Wales, Maybe he was not speeding away, the story here seems to suggest that he was shot at close range and the car was burnt after he died. I'm not certain but, If he was speeding away how come the car had no bullet holes and he was shot with a fore head entry wound. Was Modebayo speeding towards the police car or away from them? how could he do that if he already hit the police car like they said? shouldn't he be speeding AWAY from them if he was trying to run.

How do you shoot someone on the forehead if they were running away from you? was he reversing or running backwards? I'm no CSI but, it seems confusing. .
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by playmode(m): 9:06am On Nov 24, 2010
Based on the above,i think he stopped after he hit them.An argument ensued and he was shot at point black range.In panic the officers pushed his car into the ditch and lit it on fire.If our police officers were well trained like US cops ,they would have got away with the murder.They forgot to put a bullet in the car and they shot him in the head which raises a lot of alarm bells that the story does not add up.They were probably drunk and demanded him to settle them for the damage which he probably refused to do so they shot him.Most of these men who wear the Nigerian police uniform should be working on farms and not carry AK 47s.I have always wondered why our police carry such heavy & dangerous weapons when in other countries policemen's primary weapon is a sidearm e.g a Glock or a Baretta
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by Nobody: 9:23am On Nov 24, 2010
^^
I don't even think he hit them at all. That's probably the reason why the policemen burnt the car!

1 Like

Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by tkb417(m): 9:43am On Nov 24, 2010
wales:

shocked shocked shocked

the bullet entered from his forehead so if he was running, how did the bullet entered from his forehead?

abi na matrix film be this?

dude was killed cos he had money with him and they burnt his car afterwards

do you know the story the Police sold to us when the news initially came out?

wow! May God almighty hit the Polic e Force with plenty accidents and mishaps

animals

1 Like

Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by udennaa: 10:31am On Nov 24, 2010
when will all these killings by the nigeria police of the same people they are suppose to protect stop? sad
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by Ibime(m): 10:59am On Nov 24, 2010
Barbarians
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by monkeyleg: 11:13am On Nov 24, 2010
Nigerian police gone mad. listen folk, Nigeria really needs an overhaul.

We cannot mess about with this coming election, Nigerians really need to get it right this time. There is so much wrong with our society.

Police Killing and brutality
Politician stealing and engaging in all sorts
Kidnapping
Road traffic accidents
poor state of the economy

The list is endless. This is why we must really shine our eyes and choose right. Forget sentiments, and think properly about those who have the capability to deal with pressing issues, not selective cheap victories, but enduring stratergies and visions. the current bunch in PDP can not lead us there, please choose right. If not we are stuck with a country that nothing works for another 8yrs.

2 Likes

Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by Nobody: 11:26am On Nov 24, 2010
The Nigeria police is the most useless in the world.how on earth will you just fire at an innocent citizen for no just reason.
the stu pid man should be fished to face prosecution.
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by ladi02(m): 11:30am On Nov 24, 2010
@monkeyleg

hope you are ready to campaign for Ribadu, we need to get ourselves together and make this change possible. Without us standing up, this country is driven in a direction that the only option for people is to stay away and leave it for the rascals honourables and co to rule.

any update on volunteering for Ribadu??
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by edoyad(m): 2:30pm On Nov 24, 2010
Most of you posting on this thread must be joking. ONE OF THE MOST CORRUPT COUNTRIES IN WORLD, WITH CORRUPT LEADERS, HAVE A CORRUPT FREE POLICE FORCE ? You must be kidding. Infact it's a miracle the corruption in the police is this little considering the kind of people who rule this country.

What we should be praying for is the customs and SS don't follow in the police example, if that occurs armed robbers will be robbing the CBN with smuggled rocket
Launchers; SS would collect money from politicians to blow up civilians etc.

It's sad that innocent people are killed but considering our level of corruption, it's a miracle it's that little.
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by Ayotemide(f): 4:29am On Oct 17, 2020
And here we are in 2020 hearing on the tragic loss and subsequent elaborate cover-up by the police! This Madness must end #EndSARSimmediately. #ReformNigeriaPolice
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by Ayotemide(f): 4:30am On Oct 17, 2020
wales:

I am here to tell you how ridiculous your assertion is, was and would be. 12years after and here we are!

1 Like

Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by protests: 5:00am On Oct 17, 2020
Things like Nairaland are very important
This was in 2010.

edoyad:
Most of you posting on this thread must be joking. ONE OF THE MOST CORRUPT COUNTRIES IN WORLD, WITH CORRUPT LEADERS, HAVE A CORRUPT FREE POLICE FORCE ? You must be kidding. Infact it's a miracle the corruption in the police is this little considering the kind of people who rule this country.

What we should be praying for is the customs and SS don't follow in the police example, if that occurs armed robbers will be robbing the CBN with smuggled rocket

It's sad that innocent people are killed but considering our level of corruption, it's a miracle it's that little.

This is 2020
IN DETAIL: Police ‘kill 92’ Nigerians in one year — and justice delayed for victims
- June 30 2020, TheCable.

God forbid #EndSARS fail

In 2030 it will be
Police buries 600 Nigerians in shallow grave monthly
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by protests: 5:00am On Oct 17, 2020
Things like Nairaland are very important
This was in 2010.

edoyad:

This is 2020
IN DETAIL: Police ‘kill 92’ Nigerians in one year — and justice delayed for victims
- June 30 2020, TheCable.

God forbid #EndSARS fail
In 2030 it will be
Police buries 600 Nigerians in shallow grave monthly
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by plumcomm: 5:16am On Oct 17, 2020
wales:
how many paragraphs that you can’t read and comprehend,so pathetic.
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by EagleNest(m): 7:28am On Oct 17, 2020
wales:
Try and read it again. And this time read it between the lines, and you will correct your earlier statement.

The Police shot him from the front but put statement that he didn't stop after hitting them, so that gullible public will assimilate it like you nearly do or have done. And the killer policman is still on the run.

That's why people hate English comprehesion because...
Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by tee10: 8:06am On Oct 17, 2020
See this

Re: How Lagos Banker, Awosika, Was Killed – Police ! by Orobokibo1: 1:07pm On Jun 09, 2022
tee10:
See this
nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Britain Rigged Nigeria's First Elections For Ncnc And Npc / Should APC Be Worried / Details Of Secret Meeting Between PMB And Northern Leaders Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.