Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity (3137 Views)

Even In Jonathan's Village, Otuoke, There Is No Electricity, / Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity / President Goodluck Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by ladi02(m): 11:02am On Nov 25, 2010
The Bayelsa State government will donate 200 hectare of land at Otuoke, President Goodluck Jonathan’s village, for the commencement of the new federal university to be sited in the state, Timipre Sylva, the state governor has said.

The site allocation was unveiled on Wednesday, when the minister of state for education, Kenneth Gbagi, paid a visit to the governor in Yenagoa, requesting for allocation of space for the university, which is one of the six which was recently approved by the Federal Executive Council.

Mr. Sylva also promised to relocate every structure around the site at Otuoke to pave way for the immediate take-off of the university. The governor expressed appreciation to the Federal Government for siting one of the six new federal universities in Bayelsa, describing it as a quick response to the educational needs of the people.

The minister had earlier told the governor that the new federal university, which was allocated to Bayelsa State, would be located at Otuoke, in Ogbia local government area of the state.

With a little more than 20,000 people, Otuoke and Oloibiri, the communities where crude oil was first discovered in commercial quantity in Nigeria, belong to Ogbia local government area of Bayelsa State.

Read: http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5646235-146/jonathans_village_gets_federal_varsity_.csp
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by slap1(m): 11:15am On Nov 25, 2010
Jonathan's village gets a Federal varsity . . . What's the big deal?
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by semidaraeb(m): 11:27am On Nov 25, 2010
So wat isnt dat d area where oil was first dicovered after so many years, d government is just doing something there i.e Federal Government.when all d oil as been drained from d land. Thanks to d FG although its a long time in coming
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by ladi02(m): 12:36pm On Nov 25, 2010
Are the ones we have well equpped first? Do you know how much building a university talkless of 6 will cost the Government

This is nothing but a selfish project!, i will be surprised if the university in Bayelsa is not named Goodluck Jonathan University!

Open your eyes than taking everything a government does as right!

We have half-baked graduates roaming the streets looking for job. None of the Federal Universities in Nigeria can stand and boast of significant international rating.

Yet you come and say what is wrong with that. . .RUBBISH!, absolutely RUBBISH!
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by naso2(m): 1:01pm On Nov 25, 2010
ladi02:

Are the ones we have well equpped first? Do you know how much building a university talkless of 6 will cost the Government

This is nothing but a selfish project!, i will be surprised if the university in Bayelsa is not named Goodluck Jonathan University!

We have half-baked graduates roaming the streets looking for job. None of the Federal Universities in Nigeria can stand and boast of significant international rating.

Just shut up or say hi to nairaland if you have nothing to say. You ask people to open their eyes and not see every govt action to be right. The problem is you have opened your eyes too wide that you now see everything wrong in any action by govt.

Yes the standards have flagged, but that does not diminish the problem of limited spaces for prospective applicants in our universities. Do you know that part of the measures to address the gaps in the university system will be for the universities to prune their intakes to the actual capacities they were designed for? UI is already doing a lot along this line. If/when universities do this, the gap will be partially addressed by the new ones.

You need to close your eyes a bit, i think there are now too wide for your health. rubbish.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by semidaraeb(m): 1:20pm On Nov 25, 2010
Mr. man point of correction, it is not all d graduates from d Nigerian Universities That are half baked. We all know that the universities in the country private and government owned are not enough to take care of d Tertiary education needs of the Nigerian people,so if d government decides to create more universities i strongly believe we should praise them instead of making noise about a university being sited in the presidents village or not. The University will surely have to be sited some where. As for the naming of the university after the president please wait until it is done&then start your noise making.Yes i agree the universities need to be better funded,this i believe the government should address in all sincerity and ASUU to should look for a better alternative of dispute resolution with the government instead of strike which invariably waste the time of university students and they end up spending more time than necessary.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by ladi02(m): 1:34pm On Nov 25, 2010
Y'all make me wonder, if you actually understand that this is another set of poorly funded Universities to join the lot!

You are entitled to your opinion, i guess the newspaper that reported the news too are against development

i sorry for all of you, no wonder in Nigeria we take a step forward and wonder why that step is not different from where we were b4!

GLTA!
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by ITbomb(m): 1:36pm On Nov 25, 2010
Its good when a politician remember his home town not all those igbo politicians that will complain of marginalisation and rally up sentiments. when they get there they change. goodluck will benefit ndi igbo more than any soludo or nnamani
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by rebranded(m): 1:50pm On Nov 25, 2010
I am interested in knowing where the money to build the universities will come from, hope its not going to be another foreign loan. Because at the least this will gulp N100b. So we dont become a family that can barely eat twice a day and thinking about having more children.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 25, 2010
rebranded:

I am interested in knowing where the money to build the universities will come from, hope its not going to be another foreign loan. Because at the least this will gulp N100b. So we dont become a family that can barely eat twice a day and thinking about having more children.

Guy, its not having more children. Its building more rooms for the children you already have. You need to see the number of students that seek admissions yearly and with the liberalization of the power sector in the offing, the sky is the limit for graduates of Nigerian universities
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by monkeyleg: 2:23pm On Nov 25, 2010
We always jump into not well thought through projects all the time. That is why things never seem to go well.

I do not totally frown at the thought of building a few new universitys, but what about the old ones.

It would have been far more effective for the govement to spend good money refurbishing and upgrading the current infrastructure rather than new ones.

This is another good sign of waste and lack of proper process and advice.

Same goes with the President buying new planes, when the old one could have been fixed or maintained properly.

This is difficult times for everyone, can the govt must show prudence and responsibility
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by ladi02(m): 2:31pm On Nov 25, 2010
Just so no one misunderstands me

All i am saying is this is a good move, but in the wrong direction. I want to enter a federal university and see a well equipped Uni, rather than see 100s of Uni in dilapidated states.

Lets start to think quality rather than quantity!
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by wesley80(m): 2:36pm On Nov 25, 2010
na_so:

Just shut up or say hi to nairaland if you have nothing to say. You ask people to open their eyes and not see every govt action to be right. The problem is you have opened your eyes too wide that you now see everything wrong in any action by govt.

Yes the standards have flagged, but that does not diminish the problem of limited spaces for prospective applicants in our universities. Do you know that part of the measures to address the gaps in the university system will be for the universities to prune their intakes to the actual capacities they were designed for? UI is already doing a lot along this line. If/when universities do this, the gap will be partially addressed by the new ones.

You need to close your eyes a bit, i think there are now too wide for your health. rubbish.

Na God go bless U.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by rebranded(m): 2:39pm On Nov 25, 2010
dappssee:

Guy, its not having more children. Its building more rooms for the children you already have. You need to see the number of students that seek admissions yearly and with the liberalization of the power sector in the offing, the sky is the limit for graduates of Nigerian universities

Yea the same way a sick 50yrs old man (Nigeria), decides to throw a party worth billions of naira, rather than use the money to treat his illness.
unfortunately incurring more liabilities when you are yet to met your present responsibilities. Is actually not bn responsible.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by monkeyleg: 3:11pm On Nov 25, 2010
I think you guys are missing the posters point. Can we really say the this is the best way to spend our money? Nigerians should learn to ask this kind of question, rathe than applauding every trick, we should learnt to be more decening. Nigeria is one of the few countries I know in this current economic climate who isnt being prudent with her spending, and especially in the right direction.

Come, must we build more universities? can the one we have now cope with some significant investment, while we chanel money to other more worthy causes, such as fighting crime, health, transportation.

The needs of our country are many, and we have to think properly before we spend
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by youngmonie: 3:21pm On Nov 25, 2010
This is what annoys me reallyy, ppl see the real issues and comment with centiment all because it has to do with jonathan. Rubbish, in as much as hes a good leader but im sorry this is not the solution, the universitites on ground are they functionning well, most employers are complanning that Nigerian graduates are not employable yet all we can do is establish more universities. Make the present institutions work, sort the issue of stikes out, fund theses univeritites. Wer are they even going to get the human capital to teach in those unis?, most of them have left the country for better career oppurtunites outside the country. In my uni here alone there are bout 6 nigerian lecturers. Its easy to establish uni but how do u maintain them wen the present ones are not functionning properly. Another issue is that most Nigerians dont even believe in the issue of government university, dey are going private. Its meant to be about making the present institutions funtion properly. undecided
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by igbobuigbo: 5:49pm On Nov 25, 2010
Is Otuoke not part of Nigeria? Is Otuoke inferior to other villages/towns with federal universities? Does Bayelsa have a federal university before now? Will the federal university in Otuoke be attended by only Bayelsans?
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by Kobojunkie: 5:53pm On Nov 25, 2010
ladi02:

No mind them . . . .you make a very good point here. Most of these folks here have not walked in to any of the public schools in recent years to see the deplorable state of our education system and how we ought to FIRST and NOW invest seriously in bringing up the standard before we embark on building more and more of the same nonsense we already have and have not shown ourselves capable of maintaining.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by Kobojunkie: 5:58pm On Nov 25, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Is Otuoke not part of Nigeria? Is Otuoke inferior to other villages/towns with federal universities? Does Bayelsa have a federal university before now? Will the federal university in Otuoke be attended by only Bayelsans?

What has location to do with the main problem with our whole education system? I am not certain if it is just me but I suggest you all try to familiarize yourselves with the true state of our education system to better understand why this move is not what we need NOW for our kids, no matter the problem we have with quantity of people trying to get in each year. The same ministry of Education is still working on finding companies and individuals to adopt schools and help refurb and revamp most all of them through it's adopt-a-school program, an exercise that has been going on for about 7 years now with little or no real results recorded considering the sheer number of schools that are in dire need of help.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by Kobojunkie: 6:00pm On Nov 25, 2010
youngmonie:

This is what annoys me reallyy, ppl see the real issues and comment with centiment all because it has to do with jonathan. Rubbish, in as much as hes a good leader but im sorry this is not the solution, the universitites on ground are they functionning well, most employers are complanning that Nigerian graduates are not employable yet all we can do is establish more universities. Make the present institutions work, sort the issue of stikes out, fund theses univeritites. Wer are they even going to get the human capital to teach in those unis?, most of them have left the country for better career oppurtunites outside the country. In my uni here alone there are bout 6 nigerian lecturers. Its easy to establish uni but how do u maintain them wen the present ones are not functionning properly. Another issue is that most Nigerians dont even believe in the issue of government university, dey are going private. Its meant to be about making the present institutions funtion properly. undecided
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by deols(f): 9:18pm On Nov 25, 2010
Many Nigerians are abroad paying exorbitant fees to get good education

They pay to foreign airlines, pay rents, pay for their feeding thereby helping other economies grow

Why?
[list]
[li] because the Nigerian Universities do not provide the qualitative education they seek[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li] they can not get admission to study the course they desire in Nigeria[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li] they do not want to spend extra yrs in d universities due to strike.
[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by deols(f): 9:27pm On Nov 25, 2010
and is having more universities d solution? hell no!

how about equipping the existing ones many of which are very large with enough space to take more buildings.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by marvix(m): 9:45pm On Nov 25, 2010
youngmonie:

This is what annoys me reallyy, ppl see the real issues and comment with centiment all because it has to do with jonathan. Rubbish, in as much as hes a good leader but im sorry this is not the solution, the universitites on ground are they functionning well, institutions work, sort the issue of stikes out, fund theses univeritites. Wer are they even going to get the human capital to teach in those unis?,most employers are complanning that Nigerian graduates are not employable yet all we can do is establish more universities. Make the present most of them have left the country for better career oppurtunites outside the country. In my uni here alone there are bout 6 nigerian lecturers. Its easy to establish uni but how do u maintain them wen the present ones are not functionning properly. Another issue is that most Nigerians dont even believe in the issue of government university, dey are going private. Its meant to be about making the present institutions funtion properly. undecided

And you believe the bolded portion, you sure are one of the dunces the Universities in this country has produced.

The present day employers of labour what did they know when they were fresh graduates? some of them could not speak good english as we can today, they didnot know jack about technologies as we know today, it is a big fallacy, there is no where in the world where fresh graduates are overly employable, fresh graduates need on the job training once they are out of school.

You dont employ a fresh graduate and expect him to start running a department he is supposed to be trained.

The idiots spreading this falsehood and totally blackmailing fresh graduates are the same people who were employed by the govt in the 80s and sent on various training schemes to develop them but today that they are now in those positions to recommend and approve training for us they decide to embezzle such funds send their underaged children abroad and turn around to call us unemployable.

In the 80s when NEPA was just starting out they recruited fresh graduates from Nigerian Universities and Polytechnics and started them as pupil engrs where thye received their training since 1995 to date no other such recruitment has been done, when u are recruited through the back door they just assign you to a ladder carrying team and u start learning how to disconnect power from peoples homes, the recruitment is supposed to be biennialy, so that as the older ones are leaving the younger ones are taking over.

Please let us not belive the crap that Nigerian Graduates today are unemployable, infact we are overemployable, we know our due and we know our rights.

The University in Bayels is a good idea but siting the university is only the first step, I have always said it that doing one thing does not mean we cant do another, building a new University does not mean that funds meant for refurbishing and revamping older universities must be used here.

That is why there should be a budget we all understand and we can track.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by monkeyleg: 10:22pm On Nov 25, 2010
@Marvix,

You are way off track. Do you know that in the UK, degrees from certain Nigerian Universities (including federal universities), are considered void. You are made to go through a clearing programme. so are you going to say the universities in the UK dont know what they are talking about?

The education system in Nigeria is bad, plain and simple
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by igbobuigbo: 11:00pm On Nov 25, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What has location to do with the main problem with our whole education system? I am not certain if it is just me but I suggest you all try to familiarize yourselves with the true state of our education system to better understand why this move is not what we need NOW for our kids, no matter the problem we have with quantity of people trying to get in each year. The same ministry of Education is still working on finding companies and individuals to adopt schools and help refurb and revamp most all of them through it's adopt-a-school program, an exercise that has been going on for about 7 years now with little or no real results recorded considering the sheer number of schools that are in dire need of help.

Read my lips. The problem of education in Nigeria is not merely quantity and quantity (number of universities). It is the will to get everything going okay, including the universities. I believe we can have both quality and quantity at the same time, like USA. We cannot lose out in both.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by Kobojunkie: 11:58pm On Nov 25, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Read my lips. The problem of education in Nigeria is not merely quantity and quantity (number of universities). It is the will to get everything going okay, including the universities. I believe we can have both quality and quantity at the same time, like USA. We cannot lose out in both.

Putting quantity first and quality later on is what brought us to where we are today. In the last 12 years we have increased the number of schools, yet in the same period quality of education has plunged to significant lows. What we are being offered here is more quantity, with no mention of an increase or more in investments to help improve quality at the same time. We can either stop now to tackle the most pressing issue we have with the limited funds available or we can keep chasing dreams.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by Nobody: 12:14am On Nov 26, 2010
All these opportunist presidents now use this rare opportunity to establish university in their backyards .yardua university and now jonathan university even when the NDU is nothing to write home about.rubbish.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by igbobuigbo: 6:55am On Nov 27, 2010
~Bluetooth:

All these opportunist presidents now use this rare opportunity to establish university in their backyards .yardua university and now jonathan university even when the NDU is nothing to write home about.rubbish.
NDU is the highest paying govt uni in Nigeria and the last time I checked many of those dying to become lecturers there are non-Ijaws.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by homerac7: 7:21am On Nov 27, 2010
^^^

I thought NDU in wilberforce island is in Bayalsa? If not, wc state is it?
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by homerac7: 7:23am On Nov 27, 2010
^^^

I thought NDU(a federal university) in wilberforce island is in Bayalsa? If not, wc state is it?
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by Nobody: 7:33am On Nov 27, 2010
Within 6 months this man has sited a University in his home town, increased the Federal Allocation of Bayelsa State and elevated Bayelsa Militants into Statesmen deserving of being romanced in Aso Rock.

This man should be sent back to run Bayelsa if that is what he wants.

The rest of Nigeria wants an impartial President.
Re: Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal Varsity by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 27, 2010
krendo:

Within 6 months this man has sited a University in his home town, increased the Federal Allocation of Bayelsa State and elevated Bayelsa Militants into Statesmen deserving of being romanced in Aso Rock.

This man should be sent back to run Bayelsa if that is what he wants.

The rest of Nigeria wants an impartial President.
A minority will always be a minority.the ode is building university for his militants' brothers.trying to keep up with the big league,i guess.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states / Crises In Ebonyi: 50 People Killed: Www.aljazeera.com / China CCECC To Build Cement Plants, Malls, Hotels, Port, Houses In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.