Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes (2659 Views)

Photo:senator, His Brother & Sister Arrested For Ballot Thumb-printing In Imo / Police Arrest Zamfara APGA Governorship Candidate For Ballot Box Snatching / March 28th Election: Identify The Ballot Boxes - Pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 11:26am On Nov 25, 2010
FG approves jumbo contract for ballot boxes 

The Federal Executive Council on Wednesday approved the award of N1.95bn contract for the purchase of 150,000 collapsible transparent ballot boxes for the 2011 general elections.

Going by the sum, each of the ballot boxes to be supplied by Messrs Emchai Limited, will cost N13,000.

The N13,000 is, however, N5,250 less than the N18,250 which the commission spent on the same item in 2007.

Emchai, according to www.usafricaonline.com, is a civil, electrical, mechanical engineering and supply services company.

A newspaper report in September said the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission was working on petition alleging that Emchai conspired with the leadership of INEC under Prof. Maurice Iwu to supply transparent ballot boxes patented by Bedding Holding Ltd.

The Minister of Finance, Dr. Olusegun Aganga, who briefed journalists after the council meeting in Abuja , explained that the N1.95bn was a part of the N3bn appropriated for the procurement in the 2010 supplementary budget.

He, however, did not say if the sum formed part of the N87.9bn budget prepared for the conduct of the poll by INEC.

When contacted by one of our correspondents, the Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Mr. Kayode Idowu, said that the electoral body recommended the sum.

Idowu, “Yes, it was part of INEC’s submissions. Remember, FEC approved the contracts for he DDC Machines a few weeks ago.

“As for the cost, (why it is that high) I can’t comment on that.”

Aganga also disclosed that the 2011 budget might be sent to the National Assembly for consideration in the next two weeks.

“It (budget) will be ready within the next two weeks. We have several meetings today, tomorrow and next week. By next week, you will hear some information,” Aganga said.

He briefed journalists in company with the Minister of Information and Communications, Prof. Dora Akunyili; the Minister of Works, Senator Sanusi Dagash, the Minister of State( Power), Mallam Nuhu Wya; the Minister of State, (Communications), Labaran Maku; and Minister of State for the Federal Capital Territory, Navy Capt. Olubolade Caleb (Retd.)

Akunyili, who was the first to brief journalists, said that FEC approved N18bn contracts for the construction of a 10- storey building for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission headquarters in Abuja and N11.41bn for power projects.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201011253342564
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by mrinfo(m): 12:57pm On Nov 25, 2010
One of those things we have become used to. Such amounts of money no longer shock nigerians
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by slap1(m): 1:19pm On Nov 25, 2010
I know peeps that would do that for a lesser amount in Aba.
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by PhilMoane: 1:45pm On Nov 25, 2010
this box is hijjack-proofed.
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by babsmii(m): 3:13pm On Nov 25, 2010
that box is made of polythene, it should not even up to 5,000 per unit, i dont blame them, what if it was my company supplying it,
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by DisGuy: 3:25pm On Nov 25, 2010
this box will count the cards itself and post result online via facebook!! Viva Nigeriaaa
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by zylla(m): 3:38pm On Nov 25, 2010
Ole! Ole!! Ole!!!
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by bababuff(m): 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2010
Another billionaire made from free money. cry
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by Nobody: 4:05pm On Nov 25, 2010
My heart bleds,for heaven sake WTF is wrong with dis wrong peeps in goverment? Another misplaced priority. Pls i nid 2b educated here,i tot the national legisla-thieves approved #87b 4INEC,so how come FEC is approving ovr a billion 4ballot boxes for them again or INEC forgot to add ballot boxes when they made their submission or FG got contract from INEC to supply them with ballot box. Eachtime their is a FEC meeting the out come is always a disaster. FEC MEETING= BILLIONS APPROVED FOR 3 PRESIDENTIAL JET. FEC MEETING = BILLIONS APPROVED FOR 50th BIRTHDAY, FEC MEETING = BILLIONS APPROVED TO BUY MADE IN UK WASTE BINS, FEC MEETING YSTDY = BILLIONS APPROVED TO BUY MADE IN HEAVEN BALLOT BOXES FOR INEC. Bunch of systematic thieving clowns. Nigeria, whats ur future like? From one RICO GOVERMENT TO ANOTHER, IS NIGERIA CURSED BY ITS FOUNDING FATHERS? WHATS OUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION? WHO DID WE OFFEND? Need anwsers badly.
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by Muza(m): 4:18pm On Nov 25, 2010
Pls someone should tell me wats independent about inec? Since almost evrythn they do requires executive approval,and u dont expect them to bite the finger that feeds them,do u?

And FEC = Tender board
they'll never discuss how to move nigeria forward or even brainstorm on how to tackle problems,all they are interested in is approving over-inflated contracts that are done below standard or even abamdoned midway.

#Rig2011ElectionsAnduDie
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by Browser69(m): 5:31pm On Nov 25, 2010
shocked :oSeriously*SMH*
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by HARDDON: 6:00pm On Nov 25, 2010
we shall ovA COME, 4 DEEP IN MA HEART, I DO BLIV, WE SHALL OVACOME SOME DAY
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by IRAPADA(m): 6:54pm On Nov 25, 2010
What happen to those boxes used in 2007election?,did pdp tug hijack all of them,what wil happen to this one they want to buy after d election and are these new boxes hijack proof and rig proof
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by Reference(m): 7:46pm On Nov 25, 2010
I really wish to know what goes on in these FEC meetings beyond contract approvals. Nigeria is degenerating into a contract economy. Quick bucks by allocation. When it was said in Gowon's time that our problem was not money but how to spend it, now I trully get the import. No suggestions on how to generate income, no meetings on how to put Nigerians to work - those are for Hilton talk shops, no brainstorming and retreats by our executhieves on how to turn allocation to production, no, it is all spend, spend, spend.

The reserves are gone, the debts are back and top leadership still meets on who to give money to buy plastic boxes, the job of the technical department of INEC. That is what 30 odd men and women of timberand calibre, the best brains in Nigeria and our hope for redemption met to decide. We are in a big mess.

Where are the 2007 boxes and why can't they be reused. Why can't we be ever accountable in our lives for once. What is wrong with us in this country.

What a waste.
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by bababuff(m): 9:45am On Nov 26, 2010
HARDDON:

we shall ovA COME, 4 DEEP IN MA HEART, I DO BLIV, WE SHALL OVACOME SOME DAY

Yeah, some day. How about 1-oct-2060 when we celebrate 100 years?

We need to OVERCOME them now!!!
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 26, 2010
The boxes are bathed by the waters of River jordan, so they are fortified against any spiritual attacks. Thats why they are so expensive
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by DisGuy: 7:02pm On Nov 26, 2010
imagine o N13,000 for this thing!

Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by Kobojunkie: 7:19pm On Nov 26, 2010
No, that is not the box. . . please say it ain't so! shocked shocked
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by DisGuy: 8:10pm On Nov 26, 2010
its made of the finest material, with patented lightweight collapse-able strings for easy movement
Some African countries even sent delegates to observe the innovative ballot box  grin

i mean £50; money well spent  cool
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by igochopurs(f): 1:02pm On Nov 28, 2010
Reference:

I really wish to know what goes on in these FEC meetings beyond contract approvals. Nigeria is degenerating into a contract economy. Quick bucks by allocation. When it was said in Gowon's time that our problem was not money but how to spend it, now I trully get the import. No suggestions on how to generate income, no meetings on how to put Nigerians to work - those are for Hilton talk shops, no brainstorming and retreats by our executhieves on how to turn allocation to production, no, it is all spend, spend, spend.

The reserves are gone, the debts are back and top leadership still meets on who to give money to buy plastic boxes, the job of the technical department of INEC. That is what 30 odd men and women of timberand calibre, the best brains in Nigeria and our hope for redemption met to decide. We are in a big mess.

Where are the 2007 boxes and why can't they be reused. Why can't we be ever accountable in our lives for once. What is wrong with us in this country.

What a waste.

If they refuse to announce the way "your" money is being spent, many on Nairaland will shout more than you are doing now.
Re: Fg Approves Jumbo Contract For Ballot Boxes by blacksta(m): 2:46pm On Nov 28, 2010
Dis Guy:

imagine o N13,000 for this thing!

interesting - more expense than my laptop bag which is allround leather - i cant say anymore

(1) (Reply)

Atiku Abubakar --please Read --------- / User Names That Will Disappear After Tomorrows Election. / Rauf Aregbesola Inaugurates E-APC HQ In Oshogbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.