Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,804 members, 7,851,704 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:59 AM

Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk (1495 Views)

Confusion As Thief Carts Away $75,000 At APC Headquarters / The Urgent Rush To Pipe Away The Vast Gas Deposits Of South East / FG To Turn Large Deposits Of Salt In Ebonyi State Into Commercial Quantity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by mynaijaforumcom: 5:25pm On Dec 12, 2019
Post has been moved to the link in my Signature
Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by mynaijaforumcom: 5:41pm On Dec 12, 2019
The stickers state that deposits are insured only up to 500 000 Naira. Though not in these exact words.
Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by sonofanarchy(m): 5:58pm On Dec 12, 2019
grin time never reach
Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by mynaijaforumcom: 6:00pm On Dec 12, 2019
Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by seunmsg(m): 6:13pm On Dec 12, 2019
mynaijaforumcom:
While waiting on the queue, I observed this NDIC, Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation sticker which I have seen displayed on my ATM during transactions kept within plain sight with intention.
Does it mean that in the event of failure of Financial Institutions, any deposits for a single Individual in various accounts linked through BVN will only be refunded up to 500 000 Naira.
Experts, please bring your opinions on this matter.
Follow the link in my signature for the original Article.

What you see is what you get. Each depositor is guaranteed a minimum of N500,000 at the first instance (if deposit is above N500,000) in case of bank failure. For those with deposit of less than N500,000, they will get exactly the amout they deposited. If there is still money left after liquidation of the bank, they will call the depositors with deposit above N500,000 and share it to them according to their deposit. If the money is enough to pay everybody in full (very unlikely), they will call the shareholder and give them the balance.

However, it is highly unlikely for a bank to fail in Nigeria nowadays. If a bank is distressed beyond redemption, CBN and AMCON simply steps in to acquire the bank thereby safeguarding depositors money. The big time shareholders of the bank who are in charge of management simply walk away with the looted bank funds and petty shareholders like you and me lose all our investments.

1 Like

Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by omowolewa: 7:19pm On Dec 12, 2019
Yes, you are entitled to 500k after bank's failure. But you may get more after the non-deposit creditors have been settled through disposal of Assets.

Though, CBN is really monitoring the banks' Liquidity. Polaris, Keystone and Heritage Banks are good examples.

For fear-fear like you, having idle funds that they are not using, please go for Treasury Bills. it's more secured than Deposits.

MyDear the best investment is Real Estate.

2 Likes

Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:31pm On Dec 12, 2019
seunmsg:

What you see is what you get. Each depositor is guaranteed a minimum of N500,000 at the first instance (if deposit is above N500,000) in case of bank failure. For those with deposit of less than N500,000, they will get exactly the amout they deposited. If there is still money left after liquidation of the bank, they will call the depositors with deposit above N500,000 and share it to them according to their deposit. If the money is enough to pay everybody in full (very unlikely), they will call the shareholder and give them the balance.

However, it is highly unlikely for a bank to fail in Nigeria nowadays. If a bank is distressed beyond redemption, CBN and AMCON simply steps in to acquire the bank thereby safeguarding depositors money. The big time shareholders of the bank who are in charge of management simply walk away with the looted bank funds and petty shareholders like you and me loss all our investments.
What if the depositor has a sum above 500k but spread across 2-3 banks?
Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by seunmsg(m): 7:35pm On Dec 12, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:

All the three banks cannot fail at the same time now. The portion kept in the failed bank would be the sum to be paid by NDIC.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:40pm On Dec 12, 2019
seunmsg:

All the three banks cannot fail at the same time now. The portion kept in the failed bank would be the sum to be paid by NDIC.
Then no cause for alarm

OP thank you for this
Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by Captainrambo2: 9:13pm On Dec 12, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:
Then no cause for alarm

OP thank you for this
e be like say you don loot funds keep everywhere.

Re you still in Pdp or you have decamped yet again grin angry grin
Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by masseratti: 9:22pm On Dec 12, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:

you actually get 500k for each accounts even if it's in the same bank or different banks all linked with bvn.
Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:01pm On Dec 12, 2019
masseratti:
you actually get 500k for each accounts even if it's in the same bank or different banks all linked with bvn.
Thanks so much.

Fear sha catch me
Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:01pm On Dec 12, 2019
Captainrambo2:
e be like say you don loot funds keep everywhere.

Re you still in Pdp or you have decamped yet again grin angry grin
Hahaha I no be looter o... Legit hustler
Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by mumumugu(m): 10:23pm On Dec 12, 2019
omowolewa:
Yes, you are entitled to 500k after bank's failure. But you may get more after the non-deposit creditors have been settled through disposal of Assets.

Though, CBN is really monitoring the banks' Liquidity. Polaris, Keystone and Heritage Banks are good examples.

For fear-fear like you, having idle funds that they are not using, please go for Treasury Bills. it's more secured than Deposits.

MyDear the best investment is Real Estate.

flood never do your land something abi.
elrufai never demolish your estate before

risk dey every where

1 Like

Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by masseratti: 10:57pm On Dec 12, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:
Thanks so much.

Fear sha catch me
lolz
Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by Danzakidakura(m): 12:51am On Dec 13, 2019
seunmsg:

However, it is highly unlikely for a bank to fail in Nigeria nowadays. If a bank is distressed beyond redemption, CBN and AMCON simply steps in to acquire the bank thereby safeguarding depositors money. The big time shareholders of the bank who are in charge of management simply walk away with the looted bank funds and petty shareholders like you and me lose all our investments.
Thanks to Charles Soludo under OBJ.
Re: Are your deposits of over 500 000 at risk by mynaijaforumcom: 5:44am On Dec 13, 2019
Danzakidakura:
Thanks to Charles Soludo under OBJ.
What were the policies he put in place?

(1) (Reply)

The Igbos Fought Against The Secession Of Niger Delta Republic From Nigeria / Hypocrisy: Hushpuppi Is No Different From Politicians In APC And PDP / 40 Billion NDDC Probe: Acting MD, Prof. Pondei, Leaves Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.