Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,603 members, 7,812,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview (18738 Views)

7 Impressive Questions To Ask In A Job Interview And Why / Check Out What A Guy Wore To An Interview / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Thecvbankng: 2:11am On Dec 16, 2019
Top 10 good questions and top 10 questions you should never ask at an interview.

As always, no two interviews can be the same as there are always different factors that determine how an interview will go.

The interviewer, the ambience, the questions answered and the ones you ask can all play different roles on the outcome.

Questions To Ask
1. Please describe the culture of your organization:
What this question does is subtly pass a message to the interviewer that you are also interested in wether the organization is the right fit for you. It is important that you are comfortable with the culture.

2. Please shed more light on the day-to-day responsibilities of this role?
You don't want to be hired for a role you thought was admin only to be asked to go buy food from Iya Shina. Learning the day-to-day tasks also gives an insight to specific skills and strengths needed.

3. Can you outline the typical career path for someone in this role?
Here, the interviewer will sense your need for career advancement. It also indicates your interest in growing within the org. However, don't ask in a way that'd sound self-serving.

4. What important qualities do I need to excel in this role?
Oftentimes, there are some valuable information that’s not included in the job description. This question can help unfold more about the expectations. That way, you can work towards being a good fit.

5. What are the main challenges and opportunities the organization is facing?
Thing is, if you know the org has recently launched a service / product you could work this into the question by asking how it's is being received – this also shows them that you’ve done your research.

6. Can you tell me a bit about your background?
The interview should never be about you and the role alone. It's good to also show interest in the interviewer / recruiter. This also helps in building rapport & finding common ground with the person interviewing you.

7. How is success defined for the team I will be working in?
This question will help highlight the organization's priorities. Hence, you can compare and contrast with your own goals. It will also clarify what the business expects from their teams.

8. Is there anything we haven’t discussed or that you want to know that would help you with the hiring decision?
This question helps you offer the opportunity to fill any gaps that the interviewer might have noticed. It also helps you dot all 'i's and cross all 't's.

9. Can you tell me the challenges I might face if hired for this role?
This is another opportunity for the interviewer to talk about the specifics of the role. It is also aimed at selling yourself. Like, “Oh, I faced a similar challenge, but here’s how I handled it…”

10. What are the next steps and when should I be expecting to hear from you?
What this question does is show that you are eager to move to the next stage. It also helps you gain vital info about the timeline for hiring. That way, you can follow-up appropriately.

Always remember using these key points to ask questions at an interview:
- Specifics of My Role
- My Team and Expectations
- My Learning and Development
- The Organizational Culture and Business Goals
- The Interviewer
- Next Steps

Questions You Shouldn't Ask.

1. How often can I work from home? Do I need to be here always?
Even if the org allows employees work from home always, this kind of question creates a bad first Impression. It also indicates you might be a pain to work with and/or to manage.

2. How soon and often will I be promoted?
Asking this kind of question will only make you come off as arrogant and somewhat entitled. There's a better way to ask about your development at the org and this isn't really a good way.

3. Does the org monitor social media activities?
Except you have something to hide, you really shouldn't ask this kind of question. It's a topic better left undiscussed. When you raise concerns, it becomes a red-flag and the recruiter would rather just go with another candidate.

4. Don't ask questions related to your salary or benefits.
Always remember questions or negotiations regarding salary/benefits don’t come into play until after an offer has been extended. Asking this question means you are assuming you now have the job. Anty, Bros calm down.

5. Would you like to grab coffee or drink later?
There's been many cases of candidates asking interviewers this question. It's a NO-NO. This comes off as trying to influence the hiring decision, or that you are more interested in a date. If anything at all, let them initiate it.

6. Do you do background checks?
Are you hiding something? LOL.
Thing is, this question seem harmless, but you might have less time to explain why you've asked. Don't sow a seed in the heart of the interviewer that you won't be able to harvest. Hence, it can affect opportunity.

7. What does this organization do?
Really? As much as the interviewer will tell you this, they expect you do your research very well. If they do not ask you what you know about them, don't ask them what they do. Simple.

8. Does your organization monitor email use and web browsing while at work?
Again this question raises questions of 'what are you hiding?'. Will you be actively working on personal stuff while at work, and you don't want your company to find out? Of course, org now monitor all.

9. Would you like to see my references now?
Common. You might seem desperate.
A hiring process is like dating.
You don't ask to arrange an introduction until you are both sure you are good for each-other and would like to take the relationship to another level.

10. Can I arrive late or leave early as long as I complete my hours?
No one told us you were the son of the CEO. If they had, we wouldn't be conducting an interview for you. LOL.
What you are practically trying to do is dictate your work hours. No.
Patience is really a virtue.

It is important to avoid questions that raise red flags on:
- Honesty
- Integrity
- First Impression
- Hard Work
- Security
- Greed
- Patience and gradual growth
As always, it is important to engage in a professional manner.

Be Professional.
Speak Professionally &
Ooze Professionalism.

All the best!

Credits: Anonymous

41 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by heniford2: 2:59am On Dec 16, 2019
You too much

3 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Nobody: 7:24am On Dec 17, 2019

5 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Slawormir: 7:24am On Dec 17, 2019
Damnnnnn niggarrr

Nice article

I won't forget my question anyday anytime.

Sir!

Is there a place i can smoke my weed?

Because i can't live without it

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by lemon10(m): 7:24am On Dec 17, 2019
x
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by money121(m): 7:25am On Dec 17, 2019
Ok
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Ijaycool(f): 7:25am On Dec 17, 2019
Just as you said, Interviews are like dating...there is no rigid rules. Each circumstance determines what reasonable questions to ask. Being able to understand the circumstance is what makes you different from the guy who won't get the job.

So I don't think there are any strict 'questions to ask and question not to ask'...

2 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by timbuk2(m): 7:26am On Dec 17, 2019
Well said but in Nigeria...one word..."connection" is all you need....you won't even see an interviewer sef...you'll just find yourself in an office and people will be calling you sir/ma...ask 80% of CBN/NNPC workers if you think I'm lying...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Powerbankseller(m): 7:27am On Dec 17, 2019
nice points
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Tulsaguy: 7:29am On Dec 17, 2019
Does anyone still hear from Reno omokriminal? His brother ffk isn't slowing down still...

The terrorist in the Villa might think he has won the fight.
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by DhatPeacefuldud(m): 7:29am On Dec 17, 2019
Correct!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Felixalex(m): 7:31am On Dec 17, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Callertunez: 7:33am On Dec 17, 2019
I like this... Good work bro/man cheesy
angry
Not wizzy avoiding tiwa's backside sort of news...
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Passionate888: 7:33am On Dec 17, 2019
Ok
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Appswheel(m): 7:35am On Dec 17, 2019
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Appswheel(m): 7:37am On Dec 17, 2019
If you are determined to pass your next interview, I beg you to invest 30 mins of your time today to Watch the FREE interview preparation videos on Q and A App. Also read the FREE interview materials at the Job section.

Install the App from Playstore
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by jossykido(m): 7:38am On Dec 17, 2019
tnx
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Noblejay7: 7:40am On Dec 17, 2019
BUHARI's tribes men that got NNPC and CBN jobs how many questions did they ask or answer. Nice write-up but not applicable in Nigeria.

Connection is all you need in Naija.

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by macarson2k(m): 7:40am On Dec 17, 2019
Thecvbankng:
Top 10 good questions and top 10 questions you should never ask at an interview.

As always, no two interviews can be the same as there are always different factors that determine how an interview will go.

The interviewer, the ambience, the questions answered and the ones you ask can all play different roles on the outcome.

Questions To Ask
1. Please describe the culture of your organization:
What this question does is subtly pass a message to the interviewer that you are also interested in wether the organization is the right fit for you. It is important that you are comfortable with the culture.

2. Please shed more light on the day-to-day responsibilities of this role?
You don't want to be hired for a role you thought was admin only to be asked to go buy food from Iya Shina. Learning the day-to-day tasks also gives an insight to specific skills and strengths needed.

3. Can you outline the typical career path for someone in this role?
Here, the interviewer will sense your need for career advancement. It also indicates your interest in growing within the org. However, don't ask in a way that'd sound self-serving.

4. What important qualities do I need to excel in this role?
Oftentimes, there are some valuable information that’s not included in the job description. This question can help unfold more about the expectations. That way, you can work towards being a good fit.

5. What are the main challenges and opportunities the organization is facing?
Thing is, if you know the org has recently launched a service / product you could work this into the question by asking how it's is being received – this also shows them that you’ve done your research.

6. Can you tell me a bit about your background?
The interview should never be about you and the role alone. It's good to also show interest in the interviewer / recruiter. This also helps in building rapport & finding common ground with the person interviewing you.

7. How is success defined for the team I will be working in?
This question will help highlight the organization's priorities. Hence, you can compare and contrast with your own goals. It will also clarify what the business expects from their teams.

8. Is there anything we haven’t discussed or that you want to know that would help you with the hiring decision?
This question helps you offer the opportunity to fill any gaps that the interviewer might have noticed. It also helps you dot all 'i's and cross all 't's.

9. Can you tell me the challenges I might face if hired for this role?
This is another opportunity for the interviewer to talk about the specifics of the role. It is also aimed at selling yourself. Like, “Oh, I faced a similar challenge, but here’s how I handled it…”

10. What are the next steps and when should I be expecting to hear from you?
What this question does is show that you are eager to move to the next stage. It also helps you gain vital info about the timeline for hiring. That way, you can follow-up appropriately.

Always remember using these key points to ask questions at an interview:
- Specifics of My Role
- My Team and Expectations
- My Learning and Development
- The Organizational Culture and Business Goals
- The Interviewer
- Next Steps

Questions You Shouldn't Ask.

1. How often can I work from home? Do I need to be here always?
Even if the org allows employees work from home always, this kind of question creates a bad first Impression. It also indicates you might be a pain to work with and/or to manage.

2. How soon and often will I be promoted?
Asking this kind of question will only make you come off as arrogant and somewhat entitled. There's a better way to ask about your development at the org and this isn't really a good way.

3. Does the org monitor social media activities?
Except you have something to hide, you really shouldn't ask this kind of question. It's a topic better left undiscussed. When you raise concerns, it becomes a red-flag and the recruiter would rather just go with another candidate.

Always remember questions or negotiations regarding salary/benefits don’t come into play until after an offer has been extended. Asking this question means you are assuming you now have the job. Anty, Bros calm down.

5. Would you like to grab coffee or drink later?
There's been many cases of candidates asking interviewers this question. It's a NO-NO. This comes off as trying to influence the hiring decision, or that you are more interested in a date. If anything at all, let them initiate it.

6. Do you do background checks?
Are you hiding something? LOL.
Thing is, this question seem harmless, but you might have less time to explain why you've asked. Don't sow a seed in the heart of the interviewer that you won't be able to harvest. Hence, it can affect opportunity.

7. What does this organization do?
Really? As much as the interviewer will tell you this, they expect you do your research very well. If they do not ask you what you know about them, don't ask them what they do. Simple.

8. Does your organization monitor email use and web browsing while at work?
Again this question raises questions of 'what are you hiding?'. Will you be actively working on personal stuff while at work, and you don't want your company to find out? Of course, org now monitor all.

9. Would you like to see my references now?
Common. You might seem desperate.
A hiring process is like dating.
You don't ask to arrange an introduction until you are both sure you are good for each-other and would like to take the relationship to another level.

10. Can I arrive late or leave early as long as I complete my hours?
No one told us you were the son of the CEO. If they had, we wouldn't be conducting an interview for you. LOL.
What you are practically trying to do is dictate your work hours. No.
Patience is really a virtue.

It is important to avoid questions that raise red flags on:
- Honesty
- Integrity
- First Impression
- Hard Work
- Security
- Greed
- Patience and gradual growth
As always, it is important to engage in a professional manner.

Be Professional.
Speak Professionally &
Ooze Professionalism.

All the best!

Credits: Anonymous

Thanks.
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Nwaonyishi69: 7:41am On Dec 17, 2019
But, now, what percentage of Nigerians are employed through interviews. The in thing is man know man.
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by thesicilian: 7:43am On Dec 17, 2019
Always remember questions or negotiations regarding salary/benefits don’t come into play until after an offer has been extended. Asking this question means you are assuming you now have the job. Anty, Bros calm down

That is the major question worth asking. If the salary is not good, there's no need proceeding further with the interview sham.

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by risos(m): 7:54am On Dec 17, 2019
Are you now the interviewer, calm down! No be Nigeria firm u wan ask these question, just pay attention to your contract figures n relax
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by dhardline(m): 7:55am On Dec 17, 2019
~Bonus question you can ask

*In 3 or 4 years from now how would you know you hired the right person for the job?
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by israelmao(m): 8:09am On Dec 17, 2019
Highly resourceful.
Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Sirmuel1(m): 8:17am On Dec 17, 2019
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr

Nice article

I won't forget my question anyday anytime.

Sir!

Is there a place i can smoke my weed?

Because i can't live without it

Sack letter without being employed grin grin

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by Indispensable85(m): 8:19am On Dec 17, 2019
Do people still go for interviews?
All my friends that got job this year never attended any fvcking interview.

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask And Questions To Never Ask At An Interview by lollybizzu(m): 8:20am On Dec 17, 2019
Felixalex:
Hmmmm

That was how one of my mumu friend went for interview and asked "what's the company's policy on resignation like? What timeframe do I have to tender the resignation before the date?"

Somehow somehow, one of the interviewers met us one day and was gisting us how that question disqualified the guy even though he was the best candidate for the job. They were like this one never see offer letter he de think of resignation, he just wan use us de wait for better job be that.... He is still jobless, forming bitcoin and giftcard seller cry cry cry

With this your comment, you're not a good person worth calling a friend.

You said he was the best candidate, but he asked the wrong question. People make mistakes. Why make jest of him undecided

You last sentence shows you're not a good friend. But don't worry, God forgets no one. His time will surely come.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Duration Of Notice Period For Resignation / A Message For The Unemployed. / Vacancies @ Ringo Telecommunications Limited-dec.2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.