Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,692 members, 7,813,285 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

Aregbesola Talks Tough - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aregbesola Talks Tough (963 Views)

Buhari Talks Tough: Saraki Angry, Oyegun & Dogara Smile At APC NEC Meeting (Pics / Nigeria Talks Tough, Warns South Africa Over Seized $5.7 Million Arms Money / Nigeria Talks Tough, Warns South Africa Over Seized $5.7 Million Arms money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aregbesola Talks Tough by Ovularia: 11:55am On Nov 28, 2010
By TUNDE ODESOLA
Sunday, 28 Nov 2010

I, Rauf Adesoji Aregbesola, do solemnly swear to protect and defend the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. I do solemnly affirm that I will be faithful to the Federal Republic of Nigeria as Governor of Osun State; I shall protect the fundamental objectives and uphold the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. I will exercise the powers invested in me with faithfulness and integrity. So help me God.”

With these words, Action Congress of Nigeria’s governorship candidate in the April 14, 2007 election, Mr. Rauf Aregbesola, was sworn-in by the Chief Justice of Osun State, Justice Olaniyi Ojo, at 3:09pm on Saturday.

Aregbesola’s deputy, Mrs. Grace Laoye-Tomori, was sworn-in at exactly 3pm by Ojo at a colourful ceremony watched by thousands of jubilant people at the Government Technical College, Osogbo.

Making his inaugural speech, Aregbesola announced the freezing of all government accounts and ordered that all the cheque books belonging to the state be deposited with the Accountant General of the state.

He promised to deploy his energy and ability in the total service of the people of Osun, stressing that a new dawn of liberation has come for the state.

The new governor said, “The Olagunsoye Oyinlola administration has thrown Osun State into the cesspit of retrogression. I can’t fix Osun State alone; together, we must do it.

“I will not delude myself into believing that the task of reviving Osun State can be done by me alone. No words are adequate to express my gratitude to you for being steadfast in the face of political brigandage, suppression and oppression by Oyinlola government.

“I thank the judiciary for showing courage and truthfulness in their judgement. I am indebted to the judiciary for restoring the people’s mandate stolen by the PDP.”

Aregbesola, who described the Oyinlola government as lacking ideas, recalled the alleged oppression and suppression by the erstwhile administration against him and the people of the state during the struggle to reclaim his mandate.

He promised to provide 20,000 jobs within his first 100 days in office, adding that within the first 150 days, he will turn Osogbo into a commercial hub, where goods would be sold for the same price they are sold in Lagos.

Meanwhile, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade, who was a staunch supporter of the ousted Oyinlola administration, was absent at Aregbesola’s swearing-in ceremony.

A former Governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, who gave glory to God for the victory, said the house of lies and deceit built by the former President Olusegun Obasanjo during the 2007 election was crumbling before his (Obasanjo’s) eyes.

He said Obasanjo, Oyinlola and their supporters in Osun robbed their way to power in 2003; adding that Obasanjo foisted a pack of incompetent PDP governors on the South-West.

Tinubu said, “People of Osun State, your prayer has gone up to God and God has answered your prayer by changing the visionless government of Oyinlola. Aregbesola can fix the rot in Osun. He did it in Lagos. I worked with him for eight years in Lagos.

“He is a workaholic, faithful, dedicated and upright individual who has the passion to serve. Osun has good soil, agric will be developed and the state will earn money from it.”

Dignitaries present at the occasion were the National Chairman of ACN, Chief Bisi Akande; Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN); Ondo State Governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko; Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi; and Edo State Governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole.

Others were the former Governor of Ekiti, Chief Niyi Adebayo; former Governor of Ogun, Chief Segun Osoba; former Governor of Anambra, Dr. Chris Ngige; former Governor of Oyo, Alhaji Lam Adesina; ACN governorship aspirant in Oyo State, Senator Abiola Ajimobi; and Senator Ibikunle Amosu.

Also in attendance were the leader of Niger Delta Volunteer Force, Asari Dokubo; poet, Ordia Ofeimum; a former Commissioner for Information in Lagos State, Mr. Dele Alake; a chieftain of ACN in Lagos, Mr. Bola Ilori; Mr. Femi Falana and Chief Adegboye Onigbinde.

Lagos commissioners, Messrs. Muiz Banire and Bamidele Opeyemi, were also present at the ceremony.

Governors Mimiko, Fashola, Oshiomhole and Fayemi commended the people of Osun for their unwavering support for Aregbesola, stressing that the rule of law must be obeyed for democracy to thrive.

Fuji star, Wasiu Ayinde, treated the audience to songs, while the programme was anchored by comedians Gbenga Adeyinka and Holy Mallam.

Osogbo, the state capital, witnessed an unprecedented crowd and merrymaking which went on simultaneously in various streets, pubs, residences and offices.

There was free food for the masses at designated centres such as Isale-Osun, Ayetoro, Oke-Fia, Ajegunle, Aregbesola’s campaign secretariat, among several others.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201011282521943
Re: Aregbesola Talks Tough by deols(f): 3:10pm On Nov 28, 2010

There was free food for the masses at designated centres such as Isale-Osun, Ayetoro, Oke-Fia, Ajegunle, Aregbesola’s campaign secretariat, among several others.
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Fuji star, Wasiu Ayinde, treated the audience to songs, while the programme was anchored by comedians Gbenga Adeyinka and Holy Mallam.
as expected

A former Governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, who gave glory to God for the victory, said the house of lies and deceit built by the former President Olusegun Obasanjo during the 2007 election was crumbling before his (Obasanjo’s) eyes.
i like ds

He promised to deploy his energy and ability in the total service of the people of Osun, stressing that a new dawn of liberation has come for the state.

may God help him
Re: Aregbesola Talks Tough by oderemo(m): 3:14pm On Nov 28, 2010
He promised to provide 20,000 jobs within his first 100 days in office, adding that within the first 150 days, he will turn Osogbo into a commercial hub, where goods would be sold for the same price they are sold in Lagos.

the newly accomplished power is getting to his head now.
Re: Aregbesola Talks Tough by deols(f): 3:37pm On Nov 28, 2010
ode remo:

the newly accomplished power is getting to his head now.

u'v got to believe it is possible! lol
Re: Aregbesola Talks Tough by ladi02(m): 5:13pm On Nov 28, 2010
20,000 jobs in 100days is very possible, do u think he is clueless like your PDP governors?
Re: Aregbesola Talks Tough by koruji(m): 6:30pm On Nov 28, 2010
Whether he is able to achieve it or not this is a concrete promise against which people can measure his performance.
I like this.

(1) (Reply)

Osisikankw Is Confirm Dead! / 32 Trucks And Buses Filled With Troops Sent Yesterday To Jos To Beef Up Security / Nigeria: Don’t Vote For Any Corrupt Political Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.