Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? (2092 Views)

Reactions As Bride Crawled To Present Cake To In-laws On Wedding Day / What Is Your Take On Your In-laws Living In Same House With You? / Indonesian Man Forced To Show Joystick To In-laws To Prove He Didn’t Kill Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Nettybrown(m): 7:51am On Dec 21, 2019
Many of us do things without considering if they are right or not. There is this friend of mine who visited his in-laws. Few hours after arriving, my friend over heard them arguing because the father in-law wanted real pounded yam as he was tired of poundo, but their house maid travelled the previous day for a burial. My friend knows his wife cant pound,so he called his wife and offered to assist. He told me this while we hanged out last night and its been bothering me. So my question is, IS THIS REALLY RIGHT? No insult pls.

1 Like

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Nettybrown(m): 7:52am On Dec 21, 2019
Cc:Lalasticlala
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Nettybrown(m): 12:30pm On Dec 21, 2019
I need answers pls.

Mynd44;
Lalasticlala;
make una help out nah.
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Kendumazy(m): 12:32pm On Dec 21, 2019
No big deal in it. Only a person who is naturally humble and always willing to help voluntarily without thinking of any bad side to it at that spot can do it. In summary, being naturally humble and having the zeal to always help out won't make one see it as a big deal or see it as an act that will make one loss his respect. They didn't call you to come and do it, you just want to help out. So, no big deal!

17 Likes

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:35pm On Dec 21, 2019
Nettybrown:
Many of us do things without considering if they are right or not. There is this friend of mine who visited his in-laws. Few hours after arriving, my friend over heard them arguing because the father in-law wanted real pounded yam as he was tired of poundo, but their house maid travelled the previous day for a burial. My friend knows his wife cant pound,so he called his wife and offered to assist. He told me this while we hanged out last night and its been bothering me. So my question is, IS THIS REALLY RIGHT? No insult pls.
Na so people de fall their own hand later they will say in-laws have no regard for them. Tomorrow now they will call him to do pounding whenever he is around, and if he refuses, they will blackmail him that he has changed.

A visiting husband, who heads his own family, has no business offering such assistance to the family of his wife except he is living with them.

If I were him, I'd rather ask my wife to get someone to help pound it while I pay the person.

It is not pride, it is class!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by ogawisdom(m): 2:10pm On Dec 21, 2019
I will never do it myself

But since he volunteered n was not asked to do it then its a little bit manageable.

There is a tin line bw humility n timidity

Nb
If he is very poor then he has no business not doing it n vice versa
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:12pm On Dec 21, 2019
ogawisdom:
I will never do it myself

But since he volunteered n was not asked to do it then its a little bit manageable.

There is a tin line bw humility n timidity

Nb
If he is very poor then he has no business not doing it n vice versa
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Mr7gWIRELESS: 2:44pm On Dec 21, 2019
I can do it for you
Doitforyou
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by bukatyne(f): 2:52pm On Dec 21, 2019
Nettybrown:

I don't understand who did the pounding:

The wife (daughter of the family) or the man (SIL)?

In their culture, who traditionally pounds yam? Men or women?
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by bjbjbj: 2:59pm On Dec 21, 2019
Where your friend for see woman when no sabi pound. Charity begins at home
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Olugbenga1234: 3:49pm On Dec 21, 2019

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Dec 21, 2019
Hmm.

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by armyofone(m): 4:18pm On Dec 21, 2019
Yes!! You show off your muscles by doing so!!
Put on short and spaghetti top and pound on!
The yam legs and muscled body will earn you respect cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Nettybrown(m): 7:49pm On Jan 10, 2020
bukatyne:

I don't understand who did the pounding:

The wife (daughter of the family) or the man (SIL)?

In their culture, who traditionally pounds yam? Men or women?
The SIL did it!
Both can pound.
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by id4sho(m): 8:50pm On Jan 10, 2020
NEVER EVER
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jan 10, 2020
Yes. smiley
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by elektra(f): 11:24pm On Jan 10, 2020
Why is it such a problem? If your wife offers to help your mother in your family’s house will you have a problem with it?
I’m sure if your wife does the exact opposite and does not offer to help in your family’s house you will still come and open thread to cry about it.
Even sef, if your wife offers to help you family with money (the one thing you men say is your sole responsibility). You will have no problem with it.

17 Likes

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by frozen70(f): 2:35pm On Jan 11, 2020
Nettybrown:

There is nothing wrong with it, if willing to do and doesn't know how to go about it, they will put him or her through
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Lamanii22(f): 2:55pm On Jan 11, 2020
He did it for love lol... But he should never try that again... If he pounds it the second time, he would keep pounding and won't be able to say no...

So I had to ask mom again lol... She said it's outright nonsense... And that he should never ever try it again...

And again.. Did you guys drive down there or you boarded bike... Cause Yoruba would say "iri ni si ni iso ni lojo" (appearance matters a lot)...
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Ganjafama(m): 3:31pm On Jan 11, 2020
Does your friend dress well or always looking hagard? It's the way you look that will make your in-laws to call you to pound yam for them.

3 Likes

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 6:43pm On Jan 11, 2020
Appearance matters alot.

1 Like

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by dangotesmummy: 6:51am On Jan 12, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:

Na so people de fall their own hand later they will say in-laws have no regard for them. Tomorrow now they will call him to do pounding whenever he is around, and if he refuses, they will blackmail him that he has changed.

A visiting husband, who heads his own family, has no business offering such assistance to the family of his wife except he is living with them.

If I were him, I'd rather ask my wife to get someone to help pound it while I pay the person.

give me 5.

You've said it all
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by dangotesmummy: 6:52am On Jan 12, 2020
grin cheesy grin grin
Ganjafama:
Does your friend dress well or always looking hagard? It's the way you look that will make your in-laws to call you to pound yam for them.
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by lahizak: 10:56am On Jan 12, 2020
Nettybrown:
Chai! Social media sha... i dunno y u av 2 post dat online for everyone 2 see. He offered to help in d kitchen and dat is already a big deal for some people. Who knows maybe dat his single gesture earned him a lot of respect in d hauz. Do u guys even know the kind of sweet family his in-laws are?
Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by cococandy(f): 12:05pm On Jan 12, 2020
Why didn’t the man pound it for himself if he wanted it so badly and the person who usually does it wasn’t around?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by blank(f): 6:58pm On Jan 12, 2020
The FIL has been eating poundo yam even with the maid around but now wants to eat yam pounded by his SIL. I don't even understand. If the maid travelled the day before, he cannot rest from the yam till she returns?

2 Likes

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Sterope(f): 8:03pm On Jan 12, 2020
Really?

I thought a SIL is like a son to his in laws like the way his wife is like a daughter to his parents. Heaven forbid if genders were reversed! Do as I say not Do as I do! undecided

TonyeBarcanista:

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Sterope(f): 8:05pm On Jan 12, 2020
Her FIL sounds demanding. He would take advantage of it if he does. FIL should respect himself in other people's house. This is type of guest you won't want visiting again.

1 Like

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by cococandy(f): 8:12pm On Jan 12, 2020
You’re minding that one grin
Sterope:
Really?

I thought a SIL is like a son to his in laws like the way his wife is like a daughter to his parents. Heaven forbid if genders were reversed! Do as I say not Do as I do! undecided

4 Likes

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by Sterope(f): 8:17pm On Jan 12, 2020
What a silly opinion! grin

cococandy:
You’re minding that one grin

1 Like

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by cococandy(f): 8:18pm On Jan 12, 2020
Sterope:
What a silly opinion! grin

hilarious.

2 Likes

Re: Is it Okay to Pound Yam for your In-laws? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:41pm On Jan 15, 2020
[s]
Sterope:
Really?

[/s]
SIL paid bride price, fulfilled traditional/religious rites and married the man's daughter!

Not the other way round tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is This Appropriate Please Need Some Advice / Honestly,i Am Not In Love With My Wife Again,what Do I Do? I Am In Big Trouble: / Man Sues Wife For Giving Birth To Ugly Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.