Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,978 members, 7,825,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! (28863 Views)

Samson Siasia Banned For Life By FIFA For Bribery, Match Fixing / Samson Siasia Begs Mother's Kidnappers: Release My Mum, I Don’t Have Money / Dickson Nwakaeme: Samson Siasia Asked Me To Pay Bribe For Beijing 2008 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by SirVee(m): 10:43am On Dec 24, 2019
Why Segun Odegbami hasn't been made Sports minister still baffles many an ardent follower of sports in Nigeria. Mathematical Segun Odegbami played football to its pinnacle for Nigeria, he was an ace in Sports Broadcasting, and has been always brilliant with his analysis of all issues.
When will we organise this country?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Ajibade123(m): 10:51am On Dec 24, 2019
I don't believe all these stories this Siasia can be corrupt
see common business problems and solutions https://explicitsuccess.com/business-problems-and-solutions/
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by vineyardfarms: 10:53am On Dec 24, 2019
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by victorazyvictor(m): 10:57am On Dec 24, 2019
Deejaygold:
When him dey collect bribe nko ?

The guy is reaping what he planted. Nemesis

1 Like

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by CsRockefeller(m): 10:59am On Dec 24, 2019
My opinion is, he should be given the opportunity to defend himself and the NFF or well meaning Nigerians should support him.

At least, let's hear his side. My people say "you can't shave a man's hair in his absence"

Let's give Sia1 the benefit of the doubt.

1 Like

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by BabaO2: 11:02am On Dec 24, 2019
rusher14:
Thanks for thinking about your associate.

But the problem is this:

In Nigeria, corruption is rife and that's no exaggeration.

When a matter bordering on corruption comes up, the actors are often pronounced guilty in the court of public opinion because of its preponderance.

Siasia himself was often accused of selling out super eagles positions when he was manager of the team.

This could be mere rumour or even have some basis behind it. Either way, his tenure was tainted by this belief.

Lastly, he has been found guilty by a FIFA panel of investigation into match fixing.

This is away from dabbling of our local politics.

Even football great Platini has been given the same treatment, so the suggestion of racism is not particularly a good kite to fly.

All in all, 2019 has been a terrible year for Siasia.

He can pick himself up and do other things with his life.

You can help him too but don't expect much from the Nigerian populace or FIFA.
Pls don't raise subjective issues, if u know much about Nigerian football, u ought to know it was westerhoff that sold Nigeria players for his own personal financial gains, he also invited players into camp for financial gains.
How can they hand him life ban mere because he didn't respond to email, the highest they could do was to suspend him pending his response/appearance before any panel.

2 Likes

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:05am On Dec 24, 2019
ehmmy11:
When he was collecting the money he abandoned us....

Motivational speakers avoid me grin

I have done so twice in the past 6 months, drawing attention to the plight of a man who has been unjustly condemned by FIFA for a crime that some of us believe he never committed, and that FIFA has never taken the trouble to clearly state so that the world would know what he did (or did not do).

If only you bothered reading the article. At least, the beginning. You will not have made such a statement.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Fayrouzz(m): 11:07am On Dec 24, 2019
Neoteny:
The country owes him nothing if he decides to dabble in shady businesses. He bears his cross alone.

It's his fault if he gave people an email address he doesn't use.

I wonder why sportspersons are deemed heroes to be cared and pampered for during the period of their decline, when they were paid handsomely in their prime and, instead of good investments, they squander it all on cars and drink and food and sex.

No other country feels an obligation to give pensions to expired athletes, except in Nigeria where everyone with a pen thinks it's the right thing to do.

So why don't we make the same argument for gifted students who represent the country in contests?

Plenty countries pay their athletes pensions.

1 Like

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Nat404: 11:07am On Dec 24, 2019
My love for Siasia would never die. I could recall in Beijing Olympic in 2008, Nigeria played against Belgium, it was a total victory. I watched the match live with my friend from Belgium too. He couldn't believe Nigeria could win the match, he was speechless and disappointed after the match.

I wish I have the money to pay Siasia's bills. I would have done so.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:09am On Dec 24, 2019
spafu:
Mr. Mathematical Odegbami, abeg park for one side and save us this noise. Some of you made money in your playing days and we were all busy cheering you and being happy for you guys. We on our part played little football and did more of education with the hope the country will give us some employment at the end of it, but we got nothing other than hardship and unemployment. But each time any of you get sick, get unto or a problem or is a financial fix, you will call one Nigerians and the government, abeg, was it for free you played for Nigeria? Who should the rest of us call on?
With my education and above average result, I hustle outside Nigerian economy, as my signature will show.
Now let me ask, since Siasia new FIFA had the power to punish him, why did he chose not to defend himself when the opportunity was granted him?
Abeg, footballers should learn to save from their abundance today and save for the rainy day.

The answers you seek are in the article, if you bothered reading.

1. Siasia claimed he never saw the email for his defense because it was sent to an email account he abandoned for a long time.

2. To defend himself in the CAS, he needs an exorbitant amount of money which is not at his disposal.

These are on the article. So why ask such question?

2 Likes

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by SmartyPants(m): 11:09am On Dec 24, 2019
spafu:
Mr. Mathematical Odegbami, abeg park for one side and save us this noise. Some of you made money in your playing days and we were all busy cheering you and being happy for you guys. We on our part played little football and did more of education with the hope the country will give us some employment at the end of it, but we got nothing other than hardship and unemployment. But each time any of you get sick, get unto or a problem or is a financial fix, you will call one Nigerians and the government, abeg, was it for free you played for Nigeria? Who should the rest of us call on?
With my education and above average result, I hustle outside Nigerian economy, as my signature will show.
Now let me ask, since Siasia new FIFA had the power to punish him, why did he chose not to defend himself when the opportunity was granted him?
Abeg, footballers should learn to save from their abundance today and save for the rainy day.

I'm surprised you are asking this question when the answer is the core of what Mr. Odegbami writes about. Didn't you read through?
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by majamajic(m): 11:09am On Dec 24, 2019
rusher14:
Thanks for thinking about your associate.

But the problem is this:

In Nigeria, corruption is rife and that's no exaggeration.

When a matter bordering on corruption comes up, the actors are often pronounced guilty in the court of public opinion because of its preponderance.

Siasia himself was often accused of selling out super eagles positions when he was manager of the team.

This could be mere rumour or even have some basis behind it. Either way, his tenure was tainted by this belief.

Lastly, he has been found guilty by a FIFA panel of investigation into match fixing.

This is away from dabbling of our local politics.

Even football great Platini has been given the same treatment, so the suggestion of racism is not particularly a good kite to fly.

All in all, 2019 has been a terrible year for Siasia.

He can pick himself up and do other things with his life.

You can help him too but don't expect much from the Nigerian populace or FIFA.

even the segun odegbami , handed the 2010 world cup bidding to South Africa , when Nigeria is far in front . he was the head of bidding committee , he told FIFA that Nigeria is potting for South Africa , when Nigeria is far ahead .

money exchanged hands I think

Nigeria hosted under 20 world cup in 1999.

though FIFA later gave Nigeria under 17 world cup as compensation ,

a Friend from South told me , when FIFA said the world cup must be in Africa , Nigeria had a better chance than South , until segun shifted it .

1 Like

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Neoteny(m): 11:10am On Dec 24, 2019
Fayrouzz:
Plenty countries pay their athletes pensions.

"Plenty" is a stretch, though i don't doubt that some do.

But we're in no condition to start giving pensions to people who volunteered for a career that was enriching and rewarding and largely a pastime, when workers and military people are not so provided for.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by SmartyPants(m): 11:10am On Dec 24, 2019
Neoteny:
The country owes him nothing if he decides to dabble in shady businesses. He bears his cross alone.

It's his fault if he gave people an email address he doesn't use.

I wonder why sportspersons are deemed heroes to be cared and pampered for during the period of their decline, when they were paid handsomely in their prime and, instead of good investments, they squander it all on cars and drink and food and sex.

No other country feels an obligation to give pensions to expired athletes, except in Nigeria where everyone with a pen thinks it's the right thing to do.

So why don't we make the same argument for gifted students who represent the country in contests?

Lol. Many countries pay pensions to their athlete's sir.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Nat404: 11:16am On Dec 24, 2019
SmartyPants:

I'm surprised you are asking this question when the answer is the core of what Mr. Odegbami writes about. Didn't you read through?
Not everyone on here has a good comprehensive skill. Some don't even understand English literally.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by texazzpete(m): 11:18am On Dec 24, 2019
yinchar:

Mr Rusher....Read clearly before passing the same death sentence on him. I have highlighted it for you below.

At your age, you're this gullible? You believe FIFA would issue a LIFE BAN for failing to respond to an email?
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Fayrouzz(m): 11:22am On Dec 24, 2019
Neoteny:

"Plenty" is a stretch, though i don't doubt that some do.

But we're in no condition to start giving pensions to people who volunteered for a career that was enriching and rewarding and largely a pastime, when workers and military people are not so provided for.
Right. I only quoted you because you said countries don't pay their athletes pensions.

Not so long ago, John Fashunu said he still gets #5m monthly as pension from the English FA for playing for them.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by shugaboy6102(m): 11:23am On Dec 24, 2019
spafu:
I support this your comment with this. As if they are playing for free

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Neoteny(m): 11:23am On Dec 24, 2019
Fayrouzz:
Right. I only quoted you because you said countries don't pay their athletes pensions.

Not so long ago, John Fashunu said he still gets #5m monthly as pension from the English FA for playing for them.

You just know fashanu is blowing it up a bit.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Fayrouzz(m): 11:24am On Dec 24, 2019
Neoteny:

You just know fashanu is blowing it up a bit.

Why? grin
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by blowjohn(m): 11:24am On Dec 24, 2019
festacman:
It is likely that Coach Samson Siasia is being neglected by people who should help him because he often monetized the help he gave to others when the going was good. From getting players on team list to giving playing time from qualifiers to main tournament, budding players especially struggling foreign-based players and their sponsors/agents paid handsomely in dollars.

So Segun Odegbami should forget using corruption to blackmail Nigerians emotionally for abandoning Siasia.

However, truth be told, good majority of Nigerians commercialize their positions of authority or service from gateman to top public servants to even legislators and political party executives. Based on this, we must forgive Samson Siasia and help him in any way we can.

I am hereby calling on Bayelsa State government, prominent Ijaw politicians, Minister of Sports Mr. Sunday Dare, NFF leadership and fellow ex-internationals to help Coach Samson financially, advisorily and emotionally.

By and large sia sia is a millionaire which the majority of Nigerians are not.
If u call the entire world to help him, who will help the rest of the poor population?
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Neoteny(m): 11:27am On Dec 24, 2019
Fayrouzz:
Why? grin

C'mon dude.

He wasn't some brilliant lad in his heydays.

5m for what?

He's earning that much yet he keeps coming up with new cons to scam enterprising youths?

Or playing local estate politics?
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by ogmask: 11:27am On Dec 24, 2019
Reading comments I noticed how children have taking over nairaland. Too bad...
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Fayrouzz(m): 11:29am On Dec 24, 2019
Neoteny:

C'mon dude.

He wasn't some brilliant lad in his heydays.

5m for what?

He's earning that much yet he keeps coming up with new cons to scam enterprising youths?

Or playing local estate politics?

Okay. I don't think it's about your brilliance per say, it should be about you being on the FA payroll. Playing for the country at some point. You don't have to be the very best to be entitled to a pension.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by yinchar(m): 11:36am On Dec 24, 2019
texazzpete:

At your age, you're this gullible? You believe FIFA would issue a LIFE BAN for failing to respond to an email?

Then at your age you are a fool, to believe FIFA side of the story and not believe Siasia’s side of the story.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Neoteny(m): 11:40am On Dec 24, 2019
Fayrouzz:
Okay. I don't think it's about your brilliance per say, it should be about you being on the FA payroll. Playing for the country at some point. You don't have to be the very best to be entitled to a pension.

Athletes shouldn't be pensioned. Or should we start pensioning musicians and actors too?

Soldiers, cops, firefighters, traffic wardens, prison wardens, doctors, nurses, first responders, EMTs, teachers, workers, should be pensioned.

An athlete who earned millions in pay and endorsement in their careers should invest for their own pensions.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by baratech: 11:42am On Dec 24, 2019
ehmmy11:
When he was collecting the money he abandoned us....

Motivational speakers avoid me grin

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by festacman(m): 11:43am On Dec 24, 2019
blowjohn:

By and large sia sia is a millionaire which the majority of Nigerians are not.
If u call the entire world to help him, who will help the rest of the poor population?

The least I can do for a brother in need is to enjoin other brothers to help the brother in need for brotherhood sake. It is then up to them to help or not.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by ehmmy11(m): 11:44am On Dec 24, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

I have done so twice in the past 6 months, drawing attention to the plight of a man who has been unjustly condemned by FIFA for a crime that some of us believe he never committed, and that FIFA has never taken the trouble to clearly state so that the world would know what he did (or did not do).

If only you bothered reading the article. At least, the beginning. You will not have made such a statement.
where were you when this same man was asking us for 500k ?? I don't need to read your post cos experience is a better teacher...

2 Likes

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Fayrouzz(m): 11:44am On Dec 24, 2019
Neoteny:

Athletes shouldn't be pensioned. Or should we start pensioning musicians and actors too?

Soldiers, cops, firefighters, traffic wardens, prison wardens, doctors, nurses, first responders, EMTs, teachers, workers, should be pensioned.

An athlete who earned millions in pay and endorsement in their careers should invest for their own pensions.
This getting out of line. Musicians and actors don't work for the government but athletes do.

All the sectors you mentioned are tied to the government, so, by the government yardstick, they should. Footballers and other athletes are also tied to the government. They should earn pensions too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Arsenal Officially Announce Signing Of Gabriel Magalhães / Folarin Balogun Is Ligue 1 Topscorer / Appollo Crews Wins US Championship After Defeating Andra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.