Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,293 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:32 AM

Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! (28835 Views)

Samson Siasia Banned For Life By FIFA For Bribery, Match Fixing / Samson Siasia Begs Mother's Kidnappers: Release My Mum, I Don’t Have Money / Dickson Nwakaeme: Samson Siasia Asked Me To Pay Bribe For Beijing 2008 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by robosky02(m): 10:06pm On Dec 23, 2019
I can hardly recognize the present-day Nigeria from the country I was born into, grew up in, and served in my own little ways.

Beyond politics, corruption and poor governance that have raped and left this abundantly rich and blessed country prostrate with poverty, hunger, disease, illiteracy, millions of jobless youths, ethnic crisis, kidnappings, senseless internecine killings, and more, I find that we have arrived at the final frontier, that point beyond which there can be no redemption – our humanity. Where, when, how did we become such a completely dehumanized people without love and compassion for each other?

Everything about the Nigerian could fail but not the spirit of community and concern for the weak, the afflicted, and the aged in society.

Nigerians welcomed strangers with open arms, treated them without discrimination, like kings and queens, and provided for them an atmosphere where they could flourish even at the expense of their own people. That was the Nigeria of old.

Suddenly those values are disappearing fast.

I am forced again to write about Samson Siasia.

I have done so twice in the past 6 months, drawing attention to the plight of a man who has been unjustly condemned by FIFA for a crime that some of us believe he never committed, and that FIFA has never taken the trouble to clearly state so that the world would know what he did (or did not do).

Nigerians forget so quickly and easily who Samson Siasia is, and what he has done for Nigeria, and should never have been left alone at this period of his greatest challenge.

FIFA passed a ‘death’ sentence on him, a life ban from the only activity he has always known throughout his life – football – because he failed to respond to an email sent to him to come and defend himself in a scandalous matter of match fixing.

Samson cried out to the world, (and many did not believe him) that he never saw the mail because he had not been using that particular email box for his correspondences for some time. True or not, the facts still remain that nothing categorical was ever traced to him resembling ‘match fixing’ – not a particular match, not a team, not a player(s).

He had some contact with a man, as did a lot of people involved in one football business or the other, that was caught for fixing matches. Does that make everyone that knew him complicit? The man was a registered football agent that does various businesses in football with many people, teams, players, federations and coaches within the football circuit.

The only way for Samson Siasia to defend himself was to lodge an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sports , CAS. He could not raise the exorbitant cost before the deadline given. Through the effort of his lawyers, the matter was raised again with CAS, who now gave him a lifeline to defend himself, at a private sitting in CAS’s office in Switzerland, in the month of January.

I have followed his case remotely, asked probing questions, and I now see that Nigeria, through its football authorities, has not been fair at all to the man that served the federation and country so diligently, and is facing a charge that reeks of injustice from one mile away. They could have investigated on their own and let Nigerians know what they think rather than just keep silent and allow their innocent servant rot in ‘jail’.

If Samson Siasia was involved in match-fixing it makes sense to assume it must have been with one of the teams or players he was involved with – any of the three Nigerian national teams and the players in the teams. Those were the only teams he was involved with during his entire 12 years’ career as a national team coach.

There is not one of the national teams, or one of the players that played under him throughout his career that has been named in any match-fixing charge.

So, what match(es) did he fix, or was he only an accessory to fixing? How, where, when?

You cannot separate him from a team, or players in alleging the offence he is purported to have committed. In this case, he has only ever coached Nigeria’s national teams where his records are impeccable and without blemish.

The least the Nigerian government could do for him is request their Football Federation to conduct a quiet investigation of their own, and brief government before abandoning him to his fate.

His present situation is Nigeria’s eventual loss. He is one of only very few Nigerians that have the pedigree to take on the responsibility an unfolding development in football presents.

Racism is on the rise. It has permeated European football, and nationalism is on the rise everywhere. Black persons, including Nigerians, are the prime victims of the increasing scourge.

Nigeria now has a present responsibility to sink or swim with its own coaches, or with Black coaches around the world, in this new fight of civilisations and slavery, cloaked in racism. Already, Black players are never considered good and intelligent enough to rise above the level of players into higher levels of coaching, management and administration in football.

There is serious racism on the field and in the terraces. The only way Black and African coaches can get to the top is to go back to their roots and own it, give themselves the training, the knowledge, the experience, the time and the opportunity to handle their own teams, take on the world, and win or lose.

Samson Siasia remains one of the most promising and accomplished Black coaches in African football to lead that struggle.

He took Nigeria to the finals of the 2005 Under-20 World Cup that matched Lionel Messi against Mikel Obi in an epic, unforgettable final.

He took Nigeria to win Silver Medal at the Beijing Olympic Games in 2008, and was listed amongst the best 15 coaches in the world, and second best on the African continent after that.

In 2016 he returned to a very demoralized Nigerian Olympic team heading to Brazil. He sought funds from external sources to camp and train the team in Nigeria and in the USA, took them to the Games and returned with the only Bronze medal Nigeria won in all sports at the Games.

Samson Siasia was on the rise in stature, knowledge and experience when his career was cut short by the political intrigues in Nigerian football aided by a few poor results resulting in some fracas with some people at the helm of football in Nigeria.

Before all this, he had served Nigeria as a junior player to Mexico in 1985, and at senior level, as a first-team member of, probably, the best assembly and most successful national team in Nigeria’s history – the 1994 squad that won the African Cup of Nations and played at the first World Cup in the USA.

He was in the team that emerged as the most entertaining team during the USA ‘94 World Cup, personally scoring one of the goals of the championship against Argentina at Fox Boro Stadium.

Samson is amongst those that are still to be fully rewarded for those feats of 1994 – no national honour, and no house in Abuja.

Samson Siasia must not be left to languish as a result of one simple innocuous error. Nigeria needs to get up and support him if the country investigates and finds out he is not guilty as many of us believe after looking at the facts on ground.

He needs to be supported by the Nigeria Football Federation, by the federal government, by his State government, and by influential and rich Nigerians who may still have in their DNA the spirit of unconditional love and compassion.

Segun Odegbami

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.completesports.com/odegbami-samson-siasia-does-not-deserve-to-be-abandoned-now/amp/

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by rusher14: 10:17pm On Dec 23, 2019
Thanks for thinking about your associate.

But the problem is this:

In Nigeria, corruption is rife and that's no exaggeration.

When a matter bordering on corruption comes up, the actors are often pronounced guilty in the court of public opinion because of its preponderance.

Siasia himself was often accused of selling out super eagles positions when he was manager of the team.

This could be mere rumour or even have some basis behind it. Either way, his tenure was tainted by this belief.

Lastly, he has been found guilty by a FIFA panel of investigation into match fixing.

This is away from dabbling of our local politics.

Even football great Platini has been given the same treatment, so the suggestion of racism is not particularly a good kite to fly.

All in all, 2019 has been a terrible year for Siasia.

He can pick himself up and do other things with his life.

You can help him too but don't expect much from the Nigerian populace or FIFA.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by ehmmy11(m): 10:18am On Dec 24, 2019
When he was collecting the money he abandoned us....

Motivational speakers avoid me grin

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by lexyman(m): 10:18am On Dec 24, 2019
only 2 footballers can solve his problems for him .... everything boils down to money .

2 Likes

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Deejaygold(m): 10:19am On Dec 24, 2019
When him dey collect bribe nko ?

7 Likes

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Nobody: 10:19am On Dec 24, 2019
Okay
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Xiiimare: 10:19am On Dec 24, 2019
Segun is right to be honest

10 Likes

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Arewa12: 10:20am On Dec 24, 2019
Booking
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 24, 2019
He should share the bribe money he got to fix match and to call up players before we decide what to do with him.

We are now close to 200m so someone should do the maths. Make I know how much go reach me

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Ewedegubbler: 10:20am On Dec 24, 2019
SIASIA should just use his contacts and start playing bet9ja or start selling betting tips

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Conceptman: 10:20am On Dec 24, 2019
When the going was good, nobody hear anything o when water don com pass garri, una go come enter street with una jingle bell, well everybody get wetin Dem dey go through. There will always be challenges in life but you wont feel the impact that much if only you were there for someone too during their own challenges https://www.nairaland.com/4814062/aluminium-windows-building-casement-casement/7

4 Likes

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by TeeTeem: 10:23am On Dec 24, 2019
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by spafu(m): 10:24am On Dec 24, 2019
Mr. Mathematical Odegbami, abeg park for one side and save us this noise. Some of you made money in your playing days and we were all busy cheering you and being happy for you guys. We on our part played little football and did more of education with the hope the country will give us some employment at the end of it, but we got nothing other than hardship and unemployment. But each time any of you get sick, get unto or a problem or is a financial fix, you will call one Nigerians and the government, abeg, was it for free you played for Nigeria? Who should the rest of us call on?
With my education and above average result, I hustle outside Nigerian economy, as my signature will show.
Now let me ask, since Siasia new FIFA had the power to punish him, why did he chose not to defend himself when the opportunity was granted him?
Abeg, footballers should learn to save from their abundance today and save for the rainy day.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:26am On Dec 24, 2019
Success has many friends, but failure and fraud are orphans.

Samson should clear his name, simple!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by slimfit1(m): 10:27am On Dec 24, 2019
Let him help himself we have serious issues surrounding us. At least we have Nigeria now it might be no more soon Sai Baba is sailing the ship to the sea floor, if you have a sense get out of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Kobicove(m): 10:28am On Dec 24, 2019
There is no smoke without fire...

This guy was accused by several players in the national team of asking for bribes when he was the coach! undecided
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by money121(m): 10:29am On Dec 24, 2019
Ok
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Dcaliphate(m): 10:29am On Dec 24, 2019
I pray God helps him. If it's for Nigeria, no bother yourself.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by festacman(m): 10:29am On Dec 24, 2019
It is likely that Coach Samson Siasia is being neglected by people who should help him because he often monetized the help he gave to others when the going was good. From getting players on team list to giving playing-time from qualifiers to main tournament, players especially struggling foreign-based ones and their sponsors/agents paid handsomely in dollars.

However, truth be told, good majority of Nigerians commercialize their positions of authority or service from gateman to top public servants to even legislators and political party executives. Based on this, we must forgive Samson Siasia and help him in any way we can.

I am hereby calling on Bayelsa State government, prominent Ijaw politicians, Minister of Sports Mr. Sunday Dare, NFF leadership and fellow ex-internationals to help Coach Samson financially, advisorily and emotionally.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by yinchar(m): 10:33am On Dec 24, 2019
rusher14:
Thanks for thinking about your associate.

But the problem is this:

In Nigeria, corruption is rife and that's no exaggeration.

When a matter bordering on corruption comes up, the actors are often pronounced guilty in the court of public opinion because of its preponderance.

Siasia himself was often accused of selling out super eagles positions when he was manager of the team.

This could be mere rumour or even have some basis behind it. Either way, his tenure was tainted by this belief.

Lastly, he has been found guilty by a FIFA panel of investigation into match fixing.

This is away from dabbling of our local politics.

Even football great Platini has been given the same treatment, so the suggestion of racism is not particularly a good kite to fly.

All in all, 2019 has been a terrible year for Siasia.

He can pick himself up and do other things with his life.

You can help him too but don't expect much from the Nigerian populace or FIFA.

Mr Rusher....Read clearly before passing the same death sentence on him. I have highlighted it for you below.

FIFA passed a ‘death’ sentence on him, a life ban from the only activity he has always known throughout his life – football – because he failed to respond to an email sent to him to come and defend himself in a scandalous matter of match fixing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Aystarz: 10:33am On Dec 24, 2019
This is fast turning into a propaganda of some sort. Samson was on Supersport last Saturday pleading for the NFF to help him in his so-called battle to redeem himself and here is the Mathematical doing the same.

30 minutes I listened to Sia1, and I wasn't convinced.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Neoteny(m): 10:34am On Dec 24, 2019
The country owes him nothing if he decides to dabble in shady businesses. He bears his cross alone.

It's his fault if he gave people an email address he doesn't use.

I wonder why sportspersons are deemed heroes to be cared and pampered for during the period of their decline, when they were paid handsomely in their prime and, instead of good investments, they squander it all on cars and drink and food and sex.

No other country feels an obligation to give pensions to expired athletes, except in Nigeria where everyone with a pen thinks it's the right thing to do.

So why don't we make the same argument for gifted students who represent the country in contests?

12 Likes

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by richPHAROAH: 10:35am On Dec 24, 2019
he should be jailed. that single match fixing could have made some people to become beggars . who knows if some even died after that stake. imprison samson siasia for life

3 Likes

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Omenkanauzu: 10:35am On Dec 24, 2019
[s]
post=85176783:
Success has many friends, but failure and fraud are orphans.

Samson should clear his name, simple!
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Lanre4uonly(m): 10:36am On Dec 24, 2019
It is well.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by aadoiza: 10:37am On Dec 24, 2019
His fellow ex footballers no fit help am? Mtcheew.
Re: Odegbami: Samson Siasia Does Not Deserve To Be Abandoned NOW! by Nobody: 10:37am On Dec 24, 2019
Did he play for Nigeria for free? I don't understand this idea about someone serving their country whilst getting paid for it in cash and goodwill.

If you're accused of an offence, wetin concern Nigeria or Nigerians? Everyone has their cross to bear. Your fans might be concerned but that's at their pleasure.

I wish him well and I pray his fans are charitable to him, but Nigeria or Nigerians shouldn't be impuned he gotpaid for his services.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Appollo Crews Wins US Championship After Defeating Andra / Folarin Balogun Is Ligue 1 Topscorer / Ugochukwu Ihute Dies In Fire Tragedy Caused By Generator (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.