Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! (1044 Views)

Fisayo Fosudo Interviews Arun Maini (MrWhoseTheBoss), UK's Biggest Tech Youtuber / 7 Biggest Blogging Mistakes Beginner Bloggers Must Avoid / Aminat Olajumoke Ajibola Amiloaded: "Blogging Is Not For The Feeble-minded" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by bizfirst: 10:11am On Dec 29, 2019
It has been a long time (read: years) since I logged in. I got busy. Then busy. And then, seriously busy.

However, as the year is closing, I have some free time on my hands and decided to check in. Sadly, the Webmaster section is WAY worse than when I last checked in.

Sad.

Accordingly thus, I'll be chipping in hence from time to time to see how I can help.

The task at hand is busting the biggest myths that have kept many bloggers mediocre and in bondage for years on end.

In the spirit of the season (and Sunday), kindly allow me to bind and cast grin
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by bizfirst: 10:33am On Dec 29, 2019
MYTH 1: PEOPLE ONLY BUY FROM THOSE THEY KNOW & TRUST!

This is the standard myth - all thanks to those who came before us (circa 2010 and before).

Many of us who started blogging around 2010 were told this and sadly, we believed hook, line and sinker!

This led to looking for those who will 'trust us' and become raving fans and subscribers before we even thought of monetization.

The result? I never got any sizable number and even the few thousands I got weren't that fanatical and sadly, weren't willing to open their wallets and purses easily.

The income was poor - and as a result, not enough to justify the time put in.

Fast forward 3 years after, I was making a steady income from folks who were not even subscribers, persons who did not know me and surely, folks who really did not know (or care) who I was!

Now, how exactly did I burst this myth?

Simple: I focused on creating value and establishing my expertise - then attracting those who needed help with my peculiar brand of genius. The rest, as the say, was (and remains) history.

The takeaway:

Don't go around believing that to make money online, especially via info products or affiliate marketing, you need a super active, fanatical community. Personally, I know on authority that the exact opposite is the case.

Instead, create super awesome content, handle your topic like a true pro and ultimately, get your SEO hat on - and ready smiley

With this, the bulk of the folks you attract will convert - almost on the spot and open their wallets and purses, immediately!

NB

Online, folks don't care who you are; what matters is your content and offer. Folks are more interested in trusting your work as against you. While the former is instant, the latter sadly takes time - time that ensures sad frustration and guarantees no (actual) results!
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by bizfirst: 8:31pm On Dec 29, 2019
I'll continue with the process of debunking more (blogging) myths - if members here show sufficient interest by way of interaction.

Till that happens, let me pause and sip some beer smiley
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 29, 2019
Ride on
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by Nobody: 9:10pm On Dec 29, 2019
Hmmm
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by bizfirst: 8:45am On Dec 30, 2019
Myth 2: To Rank On Google (Or Any Other Search Engine), You Need To Build Links!

When I started blogging, circa 2010 - this was the standard lie told and we bought it without question.

Sadly, almost a decade later, this myth is still propagated by folks who know nothing about blogging or by fellows who should know better. The scale of mislead is massive here.

Back in the day, bloggers would comments all across the globe, on all manner of sites - all for the slim chance of a dofollow. Often, we would beg for same by means of a guest post.

Guess what?

This is bullcrap. Completely.

You can actually rank on Google and other search engines without actually building, or attempting to build a single link!

Here's How:

1. Carryout out good keyword research and focus on the low hanging, ready to pick fruits in your niche. Pluck them all!

2. Write in a super comprehensive and dope manner. Cover everything with your articles.

3. Make certain you attract only interested folks to your site and while they are there, make it conducive for them to check out other pages and stay for minutes, not seconds.

Then, viola! You have organic traffic from search engines...often more than you EVER imagined possible.

NB

While links remain important and strategic - especially in ranking for 'higher hanging fruits', you do not need to follow them aggressively or even consciously. Other bloggers and companies are always on the lookout for awesome content to link out to. You simply wake up and see that some important site is linking to you!

Stats heavy articles, infographics and articles with an authoritative (but dissenting voice on a controversial topic), in my experience, garner the most FREE, unsolicited links!

1 Like

Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 30, 2019
Kwontinio
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by igweakombi: 2:32pm On Dec 30, 2019
My name is Chidi...

I have a website with Google AdSense in it..
Pls, I need someone to help me out

Despite all efforts, I haven't made up to $10

I need help pls.

07063801465... WhatsApp.

Www.Graygist.com
I will pay for the services please.
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by bizfirst: 5:30pm On Dec 30, 2019
igweakombi:
My name is Chidi...

I have a website with Google AdSense in it..
Pls, I need someone to help me out

Despite all efforts, I haven't made up to $10

I need help pls.

07063801465... WhatsApp.

Www.Graygist.com
I will pay for the services please.

Bros, of all the places here on NL, na my thread you come see carry advert put?!
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 30, 2019
grin
bizfirst:

Bros, of all the places here on NL, na my thread you come see carry advert put?!
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by iconix(m): 8:58pm On Dec 30, 2019
Wow, so backlinks are not quite necessary. Continue
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by bizfirst: 6:26am On Dec 31, 2019
iconix:
Wow, so backlinks are not quite necessary. Continue

Sure. They are an over-rated ancient part that has fallen out of (complete) relevancy for some time now smiley
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by Nobody: 8:21am On Dec 31, 2019
bizfirst:

Sure. They are an over-rated ancient part that has fallen out of (complete) relevancy for some time now smiley
I don't believe in theories! Show your blog lets see as a proof! cool
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:26am On Dec 31, 2019
Good one, bizfirst. If I may what are the best affiliates for Nigerians? Which do you use? Obviously, AdSense is insulting to us. I don't want a change of VPN either like clickbank wants.
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by bizfirst: 12:32pm On Dec 31, 2019
questechie:

I don't believe in theories! Show your blog lets see as a proof! cool

Fine with me - wouldn't beef you for holding unto these myths - I once did too. Give it time, you'll one day (if you continue blogging - and seeking improvement) see the light smiley As for proof, I've LOOOONG past that stage. I do not need to prove anything to either you or anyone!
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by bizfirst: 12:38pm On Dec 31, 2019
Sapiosexuality:
Good one, bizfirst. If I may what are the best affiliates for Nigerians? Which do you use? Obviously, AdSense is insulting to us. I don't want a change of VPN either like clickbank wants.

Sure, Sapiosexuality - AdSense is the saddest thing ever to happen to Nigerian bloggers grin

As for affiliate programs that are super friendly to Nigerians (assuming you have an active audience of North Americans and folks from Western Europe), I'll suggest Amazon Affiliate program - if you're a beginner.

If you're somewhere up the ladder, promote hosting offers (from the popular hosting companies) and other health related stuff (from MarketHealth for instance). The pay is worth the while smiley
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by Nobody: 1:29pm On Dec 31, 2019
bizfirst:

Fine with me - wouldn't beef you for holding unto these myths - I once did too. Give it time, you'll one day (if you continue blogging - and seeking improvement) see the light smiley As for proof, I've LOOOONG past that stage. I do not need to prove anything to either you or anyone!
That's funny I've not been blogging long enough to know backlinks are useless
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by bizfirst: 2:48pm On Dec 31, 2019
questechie:

That's funny I've not been blogging long enough to know backlinks are useless

Trust me, if you've been doing this for a decade or more - and doing it right - you wouldn't even raise any arguments.

That's how we know the old timers grin
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by Sapiosexuality(m): 6:45pm On Dec 31, 2019
bizfirst:

Sure, Sapiosexuality - AdSense is the saddest thing ever to happen to Nigerian bloggers grin

As for affiliate programs that are super friendly to Nigerians (assuming you have an active audience of North Americans and folks from Western Europe), I'll suggest Amazon Affiliate program - if you're a beginner.

If you're somewhere up the ladder, promote hosting offers (from the popular hosting companies) and other health related stuff (from MarketHealth for instance). The pay is worth the while smiley

Thanks. A little side income isn't bad.
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by bizfirst: 12:59pm On Jan 03, 2020
MYTH 3: SOCIAL MEDIA TRAFFIC, SHARES & LIKES HELP WITH SEO

Each time I remember this bullcrap, I literally laugh out my heart - and to think that this is what my friends and I believed back in the day with a passion that was rare to see and rarer still to match is (now) beyond my comprehension.

We begged for shares, bought them and SPAMMED them - if your links weren't everywhere on social media, the myth went, you were missing big.

...and, no one wanted to miss big!

So we shared. And shared. And shared some more.

It was also fashionable to have a social link counter before and after every post (and sometimes, pages). The idea was to look successful online and maybe, make some bloggers green with envy grin

However, reality soon set it - and local man was tired of doing nonsense. Henceforth, local man decided to shun social media and focus on other metrics!

Your guess is as good as mine -

My organic traffic soared - and the biggest gainers didn't even have a single share online!

Special Note

To sink in the uselessness of social media to SEO, Google retired its very own, the almighty Google Plus - the one social media we all tried to have relevance on back in the day!

If you go online spending precious hours spamming your links or buying social media traffic (like we did in the days), note that you're simply wasting your time.

If nothing from this update sinks, let that sink!
Re: The Biggest Blogging Myths Of All Time Busted! by Sapiosexuality(m): 11:39am On Jan 09, 2020
Bizfirst, what's your advice on SEO?

(1) (Reply)

Download Elementor PRO Wordpress Page Builder For Free - Save $199 / Would You Put Your Picture On Your Site? Why? / Need A Good Web Designer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.